Archive of http://www.blacksda.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=9131&st=15 preserved for the defense in 3ABN and Danny Shelton v. Joy and Pickle.
Links altered to maintain their integrity and aid in navigation, but content otherwise unchanged.
Saved at 01:43:00 PM on March 27, 2008.
IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

6 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Sacrificing Yourself For "the Ministry", another 3ABN spinoff
Observer
post May 7 2006, 06:55 AM
Post #16

500 + posts
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,664

QUOTE(Clay @ May 4 2006, 01:37 PM) [snapback]129262[/snapback]

To what extent should we sacrifice ourselves for the sake of "the ministry" or "the church?"

Listening to the dialogue now about the conditions at 3ABN, I believe that well meaning christians felt they were doing the right thing for the sake of that "ministry." My question though is this, if there is something morally or spiritually wrong with a ministry or a church, what obligation does a christian have to continue sacrificing themselves for that ministry?

At what point can it be said, this is wrong and should not be allowed to continue? Or are christians to keep silent and hope for the best?

One might make an individual choice to sacrifice himself/herself for a ministry, or church. But, such a choice does not give that person the right to demand that other people sacrifice themselves for that ministry, or chruch.

It is never right for a ministry to demand that people sacrifice themselves for that ministry. This was the thinking of those who said that Jesus should die for the good of the nation. In other words, 3ABN did not have the right to sacrifice Mrs. Shelton for the good of 3ABN.

This post has been edited by Observer: May 7 2006, 06:56 AM

--------------------
Gregory Matthews posts here under the name "Observer."
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Johann
post May 7 2006, 07:37 AM
Post #17

1,000 + posts
Group Icon

From: Iceland, formerly Denmark, Norway, USA, Sierra Leone, Nigeria, Faeroe Islands. Bound for Heaven.
Member No.: 686

QUOTE(Clay @ May 4 2006, 08:37 PM) [snapback]129262[/snapback]

To what extent should we sacrifice ourselves for the sake of "the ministry" or "the church?"

Listening to the dialogue now about the conditions at 3ABN, I believe that well meaning christians felt they were doing the right thing for the sake of that "ministry." My question though is this, if there is something morally or spiritually wrong with a ministry or a church, what obligation does a christian have to continue sacrificing themselves for that ministry?

At what point can it be said, this is wrong and should not be allowed to continue? Or are christians to keep silent and hope for the best?

According to my observations throughout this whole affair, and my dealings with the main individuals affected by the ordeal, this question has often come to the surface. Linda was told - and this has been verified by others who witnessed it - that regardless if she had done something wrong or not, she must be ready to be sacrificed for the benefit of the "ministry". In this case the "ministry" was evidently one person.

At an early stage one of the head administrators of 3ABN informed me that regardless if Danny or Linda were telling the truth, Linda had to be sacrificed because Danny was able to collect more funds for 3ABN. The songs Linda wrote and sang about grace were considered too liberal for the conservative supporters, and therefore she had to leave 3ABN.

This post has been edited by Johann: May 7 2006, 07:38 AM

--------------------
"Any fact that needs to be disclosed should be put out now or as quickly as possible, because otherwise the bleeding will not end." (Attributed to Henry Kissinger)

"He who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetrate it" (Martin Luther King)

"The truth can lose nothing by close investigation". (1888 Materials 38)

+Quote Post
lurker
post May 7 2006, 02:35 PM
Post #18

Advanced Member

Member No.: 676

I'm not sure where to ask this but does anyone know when Pastor Samuel Thomas was employed at 3ABN and why he left? I know his is pastoring at the Orchard Park Adventist church in Chattanooga, Tennessee currently.

+Quote Post
Panama_Pete
post May 7 2006, 03:32 PM
Post #19

500 + posts
Group Icon

Member No.: 522

QUOTE(lurker @ May 7 2006, 03:35 PM) [snapback]129643[/snapback]

I'm not sure where to ask this but does anyone know when Pastor Samuel Thomas was employed at 3ABN and why he left? I know his is pastoring at the Orchard Park Adventist church in Chattanooga, Tennessee currently.

Pastor and Mrs. Thomas were interested in broadcasting and were at 3ABN when they were establishing or advancing "Transformation Broadcast Ministries." This would be about the year 2000.

IPB Image

Transformation Broadcast Ministries has a Website.

http://www.tbmforchrist.org/home.htm

The TBM Website says:

Write for more information on how to bring Samuel Thomas, Jr. or the Radio Programs to your community!

maranatha@TBMforChrist.org

Samuel Thomas, Jr.
Transformation Broadcast Ministries
Or: PO Box 11008
Huntsville, AL 35806-11008 - USA

This post has been edited by Panama_Pete: May 7 2006, 03:37 PM

+Quote Post
HUGGINS130
post May 7 2006, 04:57 PM
Post #20

5,000 + posts
Group Icon

Member No.: 339

The songs Linda wrote and sang about grace were considered too liberal for the conservative supporters, and therefore she had to leave 3ABN.

If the church was built on a solid foundation things may have ended up a little different. scratchchin.gif
too liberal...spare me... doh.gif

This post has been edited by HUGGINS130: May 7 2006, 05:02 PM

+Quote Post
Prisca
post May 8 2006, 06:06 PM
Post #21

1,000 + posts
Group Icon

Group: Charter Member
Member No.: 11

QUOTE(Panama_Pete @ May 7 2006, 09:32 PM) [snapback]129658[/snapback]

Pastor and Mrs. Thomas were interested in broadcasting and were at 3ABN when they were establishing or advancing "Transformation Broadcast Ministries." This would be about the year 2000.

I remember. He and Steven Lewis started a short-lived revival series. Mrs. Thomas moderated a talk type show and Pastor Thomas preached. I thought they were in Ohio.

This post has been edited by Clay: May 8 2006, 06:27 PM

+Quote Post
watchbird
post May 9 2006, 06:53 AM
Post #22

1,000 + posts
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,712

QUOTE(Johann @ May 7 2006, 07:37 AM) [snapback]129617[/snapback]

According to my observations throughout this whole affair, and my dealings with the main individuals affected by the ordeal, this question has often come to the surface. Linda was told - and this has been verified by others who witnessed it - that regardless if she had done something wrong or not, she must be ready to be sacrificed for the benefit of the "ministry". In this case the "ministry" was evidently one person.

At an early stage one of the head administrators of 3ABN informed me that regardless if Danny or Linda were telling the truth, Linda had to be sacrificed because Danny was able to collect more funds for 3ABN. The songs Linda wrote and sang about grace were considered too liberal for the conservative supporters, and therefore she had to leave 3ABN.

This is an intriguing, and quite different, twist as to the base cause of Linda being ousted. I wonder if you would give us more detail on this. When and how were the songs criticized? And how does "liberal" and "grace" connect together?

+Quote Post
Zephyr
post May 9 2006, 07:37 AM
Post #23

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,556

QUOTE(HUGGINS130 @ May 7 2006, 04:57 PM) [snapback]129666[/snapback]

If the church was built on a solid foundation things may have ended up a little different. scratchchin.gif
too liberal...spare me... doh.gif

But the church is built on a sure foundation. Jesus himself said it!

QUOTE(Johann @ May 7 2006, 07:37 AM) [snapback]129617[/snapback]

Whoso putteth away his wife for the sake of the ministry shall be blessed in this life with material success, accolades and respect from religious leaders, and receive 72 more wives in the life to come.

--------------------
"I believe what my church teaches.
My church teaches what I believe.
My church and I believe the same thing."--The Apostate's Creed.

+Quote Post
awesumtenor
post May 9 2006, 07:37 AM
Post #24

5,000 + posts
Group Icon

Group: Charter Member
Member No.: 15

QUOTE(Zephyr @ May 9 2006, 08:33 AM) [snapback]129919[/snapback]

But the church is built on a sure foundation. Jesus himself said it!

Not quite... the Church is built on a sure foundation... the church, however, varies at best.

Just as the word of God is not the Word of God... the church and the Church are not the same; the former can be a subset of the latter... it can also have no part in the latter.

In His service,
Mr. J

--------------------
There is no one more dangerous than one who thinks he knows God with a mind that is ignorant - Dr. Lewis Anthony

You’ve got to be real comfortable in your own skin to survive the animosity your strength evokes in people you'd hope would like you. - Dr. Renita Weems

+Quote Post
Zephyr
post May 9 2006, 07:41 AM
Post #25

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,556

QUOTE(awesumtenor @ May 9 2006, 07:37 AM) [snapback]129921[/snapback]

Not quite... the Church is built on a sure foundation... the church, however, varies at best.

Just as the word of God is not the Word of God... the church and the Church are not the same; the former can be a subset of the latter... it can also have no part in the latter.

In His service,
Mr. J

You say "not quite" and then you repeat exactly what I wrote! Confused?

--------------------
"I believe what my church teaches.
My church teaches what I believe.
My church and I believe the same thing."--The Apostate's Creed.

+Quote Post
Clay
post Jul 8 2006, 01:19 PM
Post #26

5,000 + posts
Group Icon

Group: Administrator
Member No.: 4

QUOTE(Zephyr @ May 9 2006, 08:41 AM) [snapback]129923[/snapback]

You say "not quite" and then you repeat exactly what I wrote! Confused?

nope... there is "the church" and there is "The Church." I think BroJ was referring to The Church.... as opposed to some man made church...

--------------------
"you are as sick as your secrets...." -quote from Celebrity Rehab-

+Quote Post
Johann
post Jul 8 2006, 05:11 PM
Post #27

1,000 + posts
Group Icon

From: Iceland, formerly Denmark, Norway, USA, Sierra Leone, Nigeria, Faeroe Islands. Bound for Heaven.
Member No.: 686

QUOTE(watchbird @ May 9 2006, 02:53 PM) [snapback]129916[/snapback]

This is an intriguing, and quite different, twist as to the base cause of Linda being ousted. I wonder if you would give us more detail on this. When and how were the songs criticized? And how does "liberal" and "grace" connect together?

This happened before the divorce and before Linda was fired by 3ABN. Stay tuned for more information on anoher threat before long.

QUOTE(watchbird @ May 9 2006, 02:53 PM) [snapback]129916[/snapback]

This happened before the divorce and before Linda was fired by 3ABN. Stay tuned for more information on anoher threat before long.

--------------------
"Any fact that needs to be disclosed should be put out now or as quickly as possible, because otherwise the bleeding will not end." (Attributed to Henry Kissinger)

"He who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetrate it" (Martin Luther King)

"The truth can lose nothing by close investigation". (1888 Materials 38)

+Quote Post
beartrap
post Jul 9 2006, 06:05 PM
Post #28

500 + posts
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,659

How presumptious can a person get? Sacrificing oneself for a ministry? Good Lord! Do people actually think that God is so weak that he can't take care of himself? He needs people to sacrifice themselves to protect him?

+Quote Post
Clay
post Jul 9 2006, 06:32 PM
Post #29

5,000 + posts
Group Icon

Group: Administrator
Member No.: 4

QUOTE(beartrap @ Jul 9 2006, 07:05 PM) [snapback]138363[/snapback]

How presumptious can a person get? Sacrificing oneself for a ministry? Good Lord! Do people actually think that God is so weak that he can't take care of himself? He needs people to sacrifice themselves to protect him?

here are the original questions....

--------------------
"you are as sick as your secrets...." -quote from Celebrity Rehab-

+Quote Post
beartrap
post Jul 9 2006, 07:00 PM
Post #30

500 + posts
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,659

QUOTE(Clay @ Jul 9 2006, 07:32 PM) [snapback]138368[/snapback]

here are the original questions....

Thanks. Its been a long month and much has slipped my mind.

+Quote Post

6 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th March 2008 - 12:43 PM
Design by: Download IPB Skins & eBusiness
BlackSDA has no official affiliation or endorsement from the Seventh-day Adventist church