Archive of http://www.blacksda.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=9148&st=0 preserved for the defense in 3ABN and Danny Shelton v. Joy and Pickle.
Links altered to maintain their integrity and aid in navigation, but content otherwise unchanged.
Saved at 12:08:11 PM on March 23, 2008.
IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

8 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 3abn To Summarize...., what is the crime?
Clay
post May 6 2006, 08:12 PM
Post #1

5,000 + posts
Group Icon

Group: Administrator
Member No.: 4

Okay, having read the threads for the week, let me summarize what I think are the issues and also the possible outcomes realistically....

The issues seem to center around the behavior of Mr. Shelton.

1. The means he used to divorce Linda

2. The way donated money is utilized

3. How he perceives himself, and his role in the sda church

4. His influence on the sda church, and his power (real or perceived) at 3ABN, which may be cult-like in nature....

Those are the areas I think most of the complaints or problems fall into.....

For issue #1, it is my personal opinion that what he did was morally wrong. Yes, legally he was within his right, but as a "christian" his handling of that was unchristian. I don't think the church is going to do anything about it given the number of divorces that happen in the church. So what happens? Nothing, he did what he did, and it cannot be undone. Now he could go back an provide additional funds, but I suspect that ain't happening.

For issue #2, folks who know will have to turn him in for something to be done. I see no other way around it. Those on the inside must blow the whistle loud and long until the feds take action... Jim Bakker served time for defrauding contributors. So what happens? Nothing, unless those who know take courage and turn him in.

For issue #3, those are his perceptions right or wrong... his role in the church will have to be determined by the church... from the sounds of it, he fits right in with other leaders who have been on the scandalous, questionable side... So what happens? Nothing...

For issue #4, money seems to buy influence, and for now he has that... If the church chooses to look the other way while accepting money, that's on them. What he does at 3ABN is his business... It is an independent ministry, and if we don't agree with what he is doing, then we do not have to support it...and we don't have to encourage others to support it. For those who have escaped, be thankful that they have....So what happens? Make leaders aware by email or letters, they may choose to do nothing, but you have at least attempted to make them aware. Do not encourage support of 3ABN if you don't agree with what he is doing... Lastly, I seriously think that those who survived the experience start a website detailing their experiences.... sort of like the ex-sda sites that can be found on the web, just this one would be ex-3ABNers....

That's the reality as I see it....while some of what he has done seems bad morally, I don't think anything can be done about it other than not supporting him and 3ABN and distancing yourself from the insanity, if that indeed what it is.... btjm....

--------------------
"you are as sick as your secrets...." -quote from Celebrity Rehab-
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
HUGGINS130
post May 6 2006, 10:02 PM
Post #2

5,000 + posts
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 339

QUOTE(Clay @ May 6 2006, 08:12 PM) [snapback]129567[/snapback]

Okay, having read the threads for the week, let me summarize what I think are the issues and also the possible outcomes realistically....

The issues seem to center around the behavior of Mr. Shelton.

1. The means he used to divorce Linda

2. The way donated money is utilized

3. How he perceives himself, and his role in the sda church

4. His influence on the sda church, and his power (real or perceived) at 3ABN, which may be cult-like in nature....

Those are the areas I think most of the complaints or problems fall into.....

For issue #1, it is my personal opinion that what he did was morally wrong. Yes, legally he was within his right, but as a "christian" his handling of that was unchristian. I don't think the church is going to do anything about it given the number of divorces that happen in the church. So what happens? Nothing, he did what he did, and it cannot be undone. Now he could go back an provide additional funds, but I suspect that ain't happening.

For issue #2, folks who know will have to turn him in for something to be done. I see no other way around it. Those on the inside must blow the whistle loud and long until the feds take action... Jim Bakker served time for defrauding contributors. So what happens? Nothing, unless those who know take courage and turn him in.

For issue #3, those are his perceptions right or wrong... his role in the church will have to be determined by the church... from the sounds of it, he fits right in with other leaders who have been on the scandalous, questionable side... So what happens? Nothing...

For issue #4, money seems to buy influence, and for now he has that... If the church chooses to look the other way while accepting money, that's on them. What he does at 3ABN is his business... It is an independent ministry, and if we don't agree with what he is doing, then we do not have to support it...and we don't have to encourage others to support it. For those who have escaped, be thankful that they have....So what happens? Make leaders aware by email or letters, they may choose to do nothing, but you have at least attempted to make them aware. Do not encourage support of 3ABN if you don't agree with what he is doing... Lastly, I seriously think that those who survived the experience start a website detailing their experiences.... sort of like the ex-sda sites that can be found on the web, just this one would be ex-3ABNers....

That's the reality as I see it....while some of what he has done seems bad morally, I don't think anything can be done about it other than not supporting him and 3ABN and distancing yourself from the insanity, if that indeed what it is.... btjm....

All the while the 3abn truck will continue rolling this great country... G.C. Churches to distance themselves from 3abn... scratchchin.gif

+Quote Post
princessdi
post May 6 2006, 10:06 PM
Post #3

5,000 + posts
Group Icon

Member No.: 47

But they are not, only if and when it gets critical. So somebody needs to tell it to Oprah, Maury, Diane, Ed(Bradley), the Enquirer, Larry(King),and just let it out! They love stuff on televangelist. While we appreciate you all coming and giving us the missing pieces to the puzzle, Danny already knew we didn't buy his story when he came here to tell it, without knowing all the facts. So this maybe helpful to some, and therapeutic to others, but we can't do a thing about it.

Since GC is not smart enough to get out of dodge, the media will have a field day before they sort out the fact that 3ABN is an independent ministry. Full disclosure if the only thing that will help in this situation. While all of his dirty dealings are still in the dark, Danny will continue, and count on each and every one of you to be to "christian" to put him on blast. Linda needs to sell her story to somebody for at least $250,000.00 so she can just give him his money back, and don't forget to get some for herself.

This post has been edited by princessdi: May 6 2006, 10:19 PM

--------------------
TTFN
Di

And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose---Romans 8:28

A great many people believe they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.-- William James

It is better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.- Mark Twain

+Quote Post
LadyTenor
post May 6 2006, 10:57 PM
Post #4

1,000 + posts
Group Icon

Group: Charter Member
Member No.: 51

QUOTE(princessdi @ May 7 2006, 12:06 AM) [snapback]129580[/snapback]

Linda needs to sell her story to somebody for at least $250,000.00 so she can just give him his money back, and don't forget to get some for herself.

Hush, Di!!!!!

But on the real, this is not a bad idea!!!! rofl1.gif

--------------------
Visit my blog--"Musings of a Black Scrapbooker"
Talia's MySpace Page

He who has My commandments and keeps them, he it is who loves Me. And he who loves Me shall be loved by My Father, and I will love him and will reveal Myself to him."
--John 14:21

Any comments on blacksda.com made by Talia A. Dickson, J.D. with respect to the law are purely academic in nature and should NOT be construed as legal advice. Mrs. Dickson is not yet authorized to practice law in any jurisdiction. Should you need legal advice for a specific issue, you are encouraged to seek out the advice of an attorney of your own choosing.

+Quote Post
Clay
post May 7 2006, 12:21 AM
Post #5

5,000 + posts
Group Icon

QUOTE(princessdi @ May 6 2006, 10:06 PM) [snapback]129580[/snapback]

But they are not, only if and when it gets critical. So somebody needs to tell it to Oprah, Maury, Diane, Ed(Bradley), the Enquirer, Larry(King),and just let it out! They love stuff on televangelist. While we appreciate you all coming and giving us the missing pieces to the puzzle, Danny already knew we didn't buy his story when he came here to tell it, without knowing all the facts. So this maybe helpful to some, and therapeutic to others, but we can't do a thing about it.

Since GC is not smart enough to get out of dodge, the media will have a field day before they sort out the fact that 3ABN is an independent ministry. Full disclosure if the only thing that will help in this situation. While all of his dirty dealings are still in the dark, Danny will continue, and count on each and every one of you to be to "christian" to put him on blast. Linda needs to sell her story to somebody for at least $250,000.00 so she can just give him his money back, and don't forget to get some for herself.
the only thing that will raise eyebrows though is the money stuff... the public perception of adventism is that we are a little cultish..... and the church can distance itself from 3ABN if it is shown that what is happening there is not in line with what the larger body believes... so its a win win situation for them at the moment...

--------------------

+Quote Post
Panama_Pete
post May 7 2006, 12:51 AM
Post #6

500 + posts
Group Icon

Member No.: 522

QUOTE(princessdi @ May 6 2006, 10:06 PM) [snapback]129580[/snapback]

Linda needs to sell her story to somebody for at least $250,000.00 so she can just give him his money back, and don't forget to get some for herself.

QUOTE(LadyTenor @ May 6 2006, 10:57 PM) [snapback]129586[/snapback]

Hush, Di!!!!!

But on the real, this is not a bad idea!!!! rofl1.gif

And don't forget the value of the movie rights. They're worth something, too.

+Quote Post
calvin
post May 7 2006, 01:12 AM
Post #7

site admin
Group Icon

Group: Owner
Member No.: 1

QUOTE(princessdi @ May 6 2006, 11:06 PM) [snapback]129580[/snapback]

Reality check:

This is a story of a man with a TV ministry who divorced his wife and married another. Not much more. Most Adventist don’t care, neither will the media.

+Quote Post
Panama_Pete
post May 7 2006, 02:12 AM
Post #8

500 + posts
Group Icon

QUOTE(calvin @ May 7 2006, 02:12 AM) [snapback]129597[/snapback]

Reality check:

This is a story of a man with a TV ministry who divorced his wife and married another. Not much more. Most Adventist don’t care, neither will the media.

Books happen. If you click this Hilsinger-Mendelson link, Patti Roberts had the same agent as Pat Robertson. Patti has two book titles.

"Thompson, Patti Roberts -- Patti Roberts is a recording and concert artist who appeared for several years on the Oral Roberts television specials, as well as the regular weekly telecast. She was married to Richard Roberts, the son of Oral Roberts, but later married John Thompson. She and her two daughters lived in Franklin during the 1980s.

Dance of the Broken Heart: A Family Love Story(with co-author John Thompson), 1986

Ashes to Gold (with co-author Sherry Andrews), 1983"

IPB Image

Linda Shelton was an editor at 3ABN. She knows how to write.

+Quote Post
Johann
post May 7 2006, 02:17 AM
Post #9

1,000 + posts
Group Icon

From: Iceland, formerly Denmark, Norway, USA, Sierra Leone, Nigeria, Faeroe Islands. Bound for Heaven.
Member No.: 686

I just deleted something which should not have gone here. . .

This post has been edited by Johann: May 7 2006, 02:30 AM

--------------------
"Any fact that needs to be disclosed should be put out now or as quickly as possible, because otherwise the bleeding will not end." (Attributed to Henry Kissinger)

"He who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetrate it" (Martin Luther King)

+Quote Post
Clay
post May 7 2006, 02:43 AM
Post #10

5,000 + posts
Group Icon

QUOTE(Panama_Pete @ May 7 2006, 02:12 AM) [snapback]129598[/snapback]

Books happen. If you click this Hilsinger-Mendelson link, Patti Roberts had the same agent as Pat Robertson. Patti has two book titles.

"Thompson, Patti Roberts -- Patti Roberts is a recording and concert artist who appeared for several years on the Oral Roberts television specials, as well as the regular weekly telecast. She was married to Richard Roberts, the son of Oral Roberts, but later married John Thompson. She and her two daughters lived in Franklin during the 1980s.

Dance of the Broken Heart: A Family Love Story(with co-author John Thompson), 1986

Ashes to Gold (with co-author Sherry Andrews), 1983"

Linda Shelton was an editor at 3ABN. She knows how to write.

I remember when Patti Roberts married Richard.... and then I remember seeing Richard later and the woman on the t.v. show with him was not Patti... so I knew something had happened, but it never really made national headlines......

This post has been edited by Clay: May 7 2006, 05:09 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Panama_Pete
post May 7 2006, 03:54 AM
Post #11

500 + posts
Group Icon

QUOTE(Clay @ May 7 2006, 02:43 AM) [snapback]129600[/snapback]

I remember when Patti Roberts married Richard.... and then I remember seeing Richard later and the woman on the t.v. show with him was not Patti... so I knew something had happened, but it never really made national headlines......

Richard Roberts, at that time, was still in the shadow of his father, Oral Roberts.

I wanted to show just one, diminutive example where the former wife of a televangelist wrote a book or two.

I sometimes think that the 3ABN folks looked at the Richard Roberts divorce as an example and said, "Well, a televangelist got a divorce, and in a few months nobody remembered who Patti Roberts was, what her name was, or what she looked like. It will be the same for Linda Shelton."

With Linda Shelton, events are not going that way, to 3ABN's dismay. People seem to like Linda Shelton, even though she's been off the air for two years, since sometime in May, 2004.

I can only imagine what would happen to 3ABN's audience if Linda Shelton were working at the Hope Channel.

This post has been edited by Panama_Pete: May 7 2006, 04:12 AM

+Quote Post
HUGGINS130
post May 7 2006, 04:41 AM
Post #12

5,000 + posts
Group Icon

Member No.: 339

QUOTE(calvin @ May 7 2006, 01:12 AM) [snapback]129597[/snapback]

Reality check:

snack.gif ok calvin, so do we go into lurk mode on this one too!

+Quote Post
Clay
post May 7 2006, 05:08 AM
Post #13

5,000 + posts
Group Icon

QUOTE(Panama_Pete @ May 7 2006, 04:54 AM) [snapback]129603[/snapback]

Richard Roberts, at that time, was still in the shadow of his father, Oral Roberts.

I wanted to show just one, diminutive example where the former wife of a televangelist wrote a book or two.

I sometimes think that the 3ABN folks looked at the Richard Roberts divorce as an example and said, "Well, a televangelist got a divorce, and in a few months nobody remembered who Patti Roberts was, what her name was, or what she looked like. It will be the same for Linda Shelton."

With Linda Shelton, events are not going that way, to 3ABN's dismay. People seem to like Linda Shelton, even though she's been off the air for two years, since sometime in May, 2004.

I can only imagine what would happen to 3ABN's audience if Linda Shelton were working at the Hope Channel.

No one really cared about the Roberts divorce, and they continued to be on the air.... outside of adventism, North American adventism to be sure, who really cares? Linda could write a book, but would it really make an impact outside of the NAD?

Remember eventually the public perception of Oral Roberts was that he was a little off, especially with the "God will kill me if I don't raise 3 million dollars" plea.....

So IMO, while what happened at 3ABN is questionable or even scandalous, it is only scandalous to us..... Being a controlling, manipulative, serial polygamist with your own t.v. show is not a crime...

This post has been edited by Clay: May 7 2006, 05:14 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
watchbird
post May 7 2006, 05:42 AM
Post #14

1,000 + posts
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,712

QUOTE(calvin @ May 7 2006, 01:12 AM) [snapback]129597[/snapback]

Reality check:

If you really think that there is "not much more", then either you have not been paying attention or those who have been posting have been filtering their facts a little too carefully.

If "most Adventists don't care" it means they don't know enough. Fortunately, some on BSDA care enough to inform them, and hopefully BSDA cares enough to keep on being a conduit and a record of that information.

If BSDA doesn't provide the medium of communication and record, who will?

If BSDA does provide the channel through which God can illuminate the darkness, BSDA can keep on filtering the information so innocent ones will be protected as much as is possible (for those who post here do care about such things).

If (when) the public media gets involved, they will "care" also. But their "caring" will be in proportion to the dollars and circulation numbers the topic can bring to them. And in that world the more heinous the crime, the dirtier the action, the more they will care. And the more the innocent will be paraded before the eyes of the nation.

Would we really rather have it published in National Enquirer than on BSDA?

+Quote Post
Panama_Pete
post May 7 2006, 05:44 AM
Post #15

500 + posts
Group Icon

QUOTE(Clay @ May 7 2006, 06:08 AM) [snapback]129605[/snapback]

So IMO, while what happened at 3ABN is questionable or even scandalous, it is only scandalous to us

If, by chance, you have come to the conclusion that you have heard the entire story, or even most of it, that would be very reasonable and understandable. I would actually agree with you, if that were the case.

However, Beartrap has implied in one of his postings - relating to a journalist who follows BSDA - that there might just be a wee bit more to this story.

I think it relates to the reason for the gag order. I think that you may discover, at a later date, that there was an actual reason for the gag order that goes beyond what you have heard.

Do you remember when it was said that Dr. Arild Abrahamson was threatened with an escort by the Franklin County sheriff when he was at the 3ABN compound at the 2004 campmeeting? He and his travelling companions were asked to leave? Do you remember when Linda or her friends said it was because Danny was afraid that they (in their own words) would "spill the beans" if they were allowed to stay?

Well, those beans have not been spilled, yet.

This post has been edited by Panama_Pete: May 7 2006, 06:37 AM

+Quote Post

8 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd March 2008 - 11:08 AM
Design by: Download IPB Skins & eBusiness
BlackSDA has no official affiliation or endorsement from the Seventh-day Adventist church