Archive of http://www.blacksda.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=9455&st=15 preserved for the defense in 3ABN and Danny Shelton v. Joy and Pickle.
Links altered to maintain their integrity and aid in navigation, but content otherwise unchanged.
Saved at 04:57:30 PM on March 23, 2008.
IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

7 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 3abn Virgin
sonshineonme
post Jun 4 2006, 11:59 PM
Post #16

1,000 + posts
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,709

QUOTE(HUGGINS130 @ Jun 4 2006, 09:17 PM) [snapback]133430[/snapback]

chokin while laughing not trying to wake up the misses, you got me rofl... rofl1.gif bear cut it out!!!LOL

I love it! It never dawned on me that Danny only wares those turtlenecks....wonder what he is covering up under there? (tattoos?) lol.gif

--------------------
Here's the thing - "...if you pull "folks" into a fight you don't know what "weapon" they will bring." PrincessDrRe

"A man who digs a pit for others to fall into, will end up falling into it himself. And if a man rolls a stone on someone, the stone will roll back on him". Said Solomon the wise, Proverbs 26:27

"No man can follow Christ and go astray." William H.P. Faunce

"If I could hear Christ praying for me in the next room, I would not fear a million enemies. Yet distance makes no difference. He is praying for me." Robert M. McCheyne

Click here for Linda Shelton's newly updated website
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
pmorris68
post Jun 5 2006, 04:15 AM
Post #17

1,000 + posts
Group Icon

Member No.: 399

Now... for the record. I truly am somewhat an old fashion SDA. I do wear makeup but NOT heavy make up. But when you sit on international television and represent Black women and look like she did. I got to speak on it.

I was downright shocked. I live in Atlanta, and have seen Melissa on a number of occasions. There is a difference between modesty and tacky. What I witnessed this weekend was TACKY!! She looked awful My ten year old daughter said "Mommy she looks ashy" And she did. This was just plain ole awful. No matter how you slice it. And I guess because I haven't seen her since she left Atlanta, I was just in shock.

I have spoken to her, and I should have put that conversation back in my head when I saw her this weekend. She emailed me to tell me she didn't think UCAA should have showcases, it's like parading around showing off instead of Praising God. I explained this was a chance to show the public new talent within our church so they could become familiar with their ministries and want to hear them praise God. She and I agreed to disagree.

We need our own black adventist network. I told my husband if I had the money I would do it. I am so sick of not having a TRUE representation of our church on television. ok I am done too Sarah!! roflmao.gif

+Quote Post
Clay
post Jun 5 2006, 05:05 AM
Post #18

5,000 + posts
Group Icon

Group: Administrator
Member No.: 4

I have spoken to her, and I should have put that conversation back in my head when I saw her this weekend. She emailed me to tell me she didn't think UCAA should have showcases, it's like parading around showing off instead of Praising God. I explained this was a chance to show the public new talent within our church so they could become familiar with their ministries and want to hear them praise God. She and I agreed to disagree.
it appears that the brainwashing has begun....

--------------------
"you are as sick as your secrets...." -quote from Celebrity Rehab-

+Quote Post
watchbird
post Jun 5 2006, 05:38 AM
Post #19

1,000 + posts
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,712

QUOTE(pmorris68 @ Jun 5 2006, 04:15 AM) [snapback]133445[/snapback]

Now... for the record. I truly am somewhat an old fashion SDA. I do wear makeup but NOT heavy make up. But when you sit on international television and represent Black women and look like she did. I got to speak on it.

I was downright shocked. I live in Atlanta, and have seen Melissa on a number of occasions. There is a difference between modesty and tacky. What I witnessed this weekend was TACKY!! She looked awful My ten year old daughter said "Mommy she looks ashy" And she did. This was just plain ole awful. No matter how you slice it. And I guess because I haven't seen her since she left Atlanta, I was just in shock.

We need our own black adventist network. I told my husband if I had the money I would do it. I am so sick of not having a TRUE representation of our church on television. ok I am done too Sarah!! roflmao.gif

It's not a "black/white" thing. It's the philosophy that you note, that showing people and talent at their best is "showing off instead of Praising God" instead of reasoning that we give the most praise to God when we present him our best. It is not new to 3ABN. It permeates the whole segment of Adventism which both gave birth to and grew out of the "self-supporting institutions" started by Sutherland at Madison that spread from there all across the Southeast, then across the US, and now around the world under the auspices of their international network.

What is striking at 3ABN is the way glitz and hi-tech and expensive equipment and even set design is combined with that same old philosophy of faked humility and matching repressed appearance. And it is not necessarily a matter of choosing only those performers who "measure down" to their standards. I've seen some of the same performers who look as though they were carved from wood when they sing on 3ABN in live concert elsewhere, and discovered that they could (and did) not only exhibit facial expressions, but actually (gasp) moved about while singing--in rhythm even. Though truth to tell, it was very hard to comprehend, since the first impression images from 3ABN kept superimposing themselves on the artists so it was hard to accept them as the "real people" that they showed themselves to be in the other venue.

What I have learned from your comments is that blacks are also not immune to the stifling influence of the 3ABN stage directions. Maybe that extends to their dress code also?

But I agree in principle with your conclusion. I do think that we Adventists, black, white, tan, or purple polka-dotted, need "a TRUE representation of our church on television". But if that is to be, then it would need to show the wide diversity of people and cultures and tastes. In music, for example we would hear not only the country style of the "folk type", but the chamber music groups, the choirs, the bands, the praise worship teams, the various ethnic musical styles, and yes, the symphony orchestras as well. Adventism is a rich tapestry of talent, beauty, and beliefs. To be truly representative a network should draw from all segments of Adventism.

+Quote Post
sister
post Jun 5 2006, 06:01 AM
Post #20

500 + posts
Group Icon

Member No.: 762

QUOTE(watchbird @ Jun 5 2006, 06:38 AM) [snapback]133457[/snapback]

It's not a "black/white" thing. It's the philosophy that you note, that showing people and talent at their best is "showing off instead of Praising God" instead of reasoning that we give the most praise to God when we present him our best. It is not new to 3ABN. It permeates the whole segment of Adventism which both gave birth to and grew out of the "self-supporting institutions" started by Sutherland at Madison that spread from there all across the Southeast, then across the US, and now around the world under the auspices of their international network.

What is striking at 3ABN is the way glitz and hi-tech and expensive equipment and even set design is combined with that same old philosophy of faked humility and matching repressed appearance. And it is not necessarily a matter of choosing only those performers who "measure down" to their standards. I've seen some of the same performers who look as though they were carved from wood when they sing on 3ABN in live concert elsewhere, and discovered that they could (and did) not only exhibit facial expressions, but actually (gasp) moved about while singing--in rhythm even. Though truth to tell, it was very hard to comprehend, since the first impression images from 3ABN kept superimposing themselves on the artists so it was hard to accept them as the "real people" that they showed themselves to be in the other venue.

What I have learned from your comments is that blacks are also not immune to the stifling influence of the 3ABN stage directions. Maybe that extends to their dress code also?

But I agree in principle with your conclusion. I do think that we Adventists, black, white, tan, or purple polka-dotted, need "a TRUE representation of our church on television". But if that is to be, then it would need to show the wide diversity of people and cultures and tastes. In music, for example we would hear not only the country style of the "folk type", but the chamber music groups, the choirs, the bands, the praise worship teams, the various ethnic musical styles, and yes, the symphony orchestras as well. Adventism is a rich tapestry of talent, beauty, and beliefs. To be truly representative a network should draw from all segments of Adventism.

Remember this is “Danny TV”, a local T’ville production, broadcasted to a world wide audience. Not an ethnically and culturally diverse Adventist broadcast produced to reach a global audience. Programming style and content on 3ABN is intended to influence a certain segment of white conservative Adventism to open up their pocketbooks and let the revenue roll on in...

TVsnack.gif

+Quote Post
HUGGINS130
post Jun 5 2006, 06:03 AM
Post #21

5,000 + posts
Group Icon

Member No.: 339

I have spoken to her, and I should have put that conversation back in my head when I saw her this weekend. She emailed me to tell me she didn't think UCAA should have showcases, it's like parading around showing off instead of Praising God.

You've got to be kidding...I am not believing this. I wonder if she couldn't deal with the type of gospel music she had to play then...we all know it wasn't that presybterian, Adventist type of music she was playing on 97.5 fm...We all have choices to make, but to judge others as being pompous and parading, that's going just a little too far...

it appears that the brainwashing has begun....

After reading her article in the Adventist Review, just say, I wondered the same thing...oh well it's her life, and hopefully she's happy now!!!

+Quote Post
pmorris68
post Jun 5 2006, 06:15 AM
Post #22

1,000 + posts
Group Icon

Yeah, I read her article as well. Now the interesting thing about this whole story is that she left because of the Sabbath, now I wonder what other reasons did she leave. I know that conversion is something that happens to us all in this faith. At least it should. But I don't see makeup as a hell or heaven issue. IF my face has no makeup and my heart is not right, guess what...I am still going to hell.

Our father is not concerned with the outside appearance, he is concerned with the heart. I think 3ABN and the rest of the gang need to keep that in mind. I was just really disappointed that Melissa has gone up there and become a POD Woman. I call it whitewashed. thumbdown.gif

As for The big ear wonder Lomacang - I have one thing to say " Ear Surgery". That's aint normal. no.gif

This post has been edited by pmorris68: Jun 5 2006, 06:16 AM

+Quote Post
Clay
post Jun 5 2006, 06:23 AM
Post #23

5,000 + posts
Group Icon

Group: Administrator
Member No.: 4

As for The big ear wonder Lomacang - I have one thing to say " Ear Surgery". That's aint normal.

neither is plastic looking hair....

IPB Image

--------------------
"you are as sick as your secrets...." -quote from Celebrity Rehab-

+Quote Post
pmorris68
post Jun 5 2006, 06:27 AM
Post #24

1,000 + posts
Group Icon

Lord have mercy. I really feel bad for this man. I am so glad I never paid money to have 3ABN. I would have cancelled it the 1st week I had it. This whole thing is just ridiculous.

Hope channell seems to be better, it's more focused on the mission field. I did enjoy seeing the children in other countries having Sabbath School.

+Quote Post
watchbird
post Jun 5 2006, 06:44 AM
Post #25

1,000 + posts
Group Icon

QUOTE(sister @ Jun 5 2006, 06:01 AM) [snapback]133458[/snapback]

Remember this is “Danny TV”, a local T’ville production, broadcasted to a world wide audience. Not an ethnically and culturally diverse Adventist broadcast produced to reach a global audience. Programming style and content on 3ABN is intended to influence a certain segment of white conservative Adventism to open up their pocketbooks and let the revenue roll on in...

TVsnack.gif

Well, yes, "Danny TV" is admittedly mostly made up of "palefaces". But let's not consider them so racially biased as to overlook the money raising trips they make to black Adventist venues nor the "token blacks" they have on board to make it appear that they are "equal opportunity employers". Nor the evidence that they are also "equal opportunity persecutors". As to the "revenue", the color of the hands doesn't matter, it's the green stuff that counts.

QUOTE(pmorris68 @ Jun 5 2006, 06:15 AM) [snapback]133462[/snapback]

Yeah, I read her article as well. Now the interesting thing about this whole story is that she left because of the Sabbath, now I wonder what other reasons did she leave. I know that conversion is something that happens to us all in this faith. At least it should. But I don't see makeup as a hell or heaven issue. IF my face has no makeup and my heart is not right, guess what...I am still going to hell.

Our father is not concerned with the outside appearance, he is concerned with the heart. I think 3ABN and the rest of the gang need to keep that in mind. I was just really disappointed that Melissa has gone up there and become a POD Woman. I call it whitewashed. thumbdown.gif

As for The big ear wonder Lomacang - I have one thing to say " Ear Surgery". That's aint normal. no.gif

"Brainwashed" is a more appropriate term. As with the "stuff that counts", brains are all the same color, and "Danny TV" has amply demonstrated that they are "equal opportunity brainwashers" also. thumbdown.gif 2guns.gif afro.gif bangin.gif

This post has been edited by watchbird: Jun 5 2006, 06:47 AM

+Quote Post
HUGGINS130
post Jun 5 2006, 06:45 AM
Post #26

5,000 + posts
Group Icon

Member No.: 339

QUOTE(Clay @ Jun 5 2006, 06:23 AM) [snapback]133463[/snapback]

neither is plastic looking hair....

IPB Image

Lomacang didn't look like this on amazing facts...well he was on his way!

+Quote Post
watchbird
post Jun 5 2006, 06:59 AM
Post #27

1,000 + posts
Group Icon

QUOTE(pmorris68 @ Jun 5 2006, 06:27 AM) [snapback]133465[/snapback]

Lord have mercy. I really feel bad for this man. I am so glad I never paid money to have 3ABN. I would have cancelled it the 1st week I had it. This whole thing is just ridiculous.

Hope channell seems to be better, it's more focused on the mission field. I did enjoy seeing the children in other countries having Sabbath School.

If you get the 36" dish that gets HOPE TV, you also get Loma Linda Broadcasting network, which carries Loma Linda University Church Service and Sabbath School, as well as University programming. And you can also get 3ABN, which has a few programs now and then that are worth watching, ie are not produced by 3ABN. See the HOPE TV dish at http://www.hopetv.org/ Their lineup of programs is pretty impressive.

+Quote Post
Nuggie
post Jun 5 2006, 08:22 AM
Post #28

1,000 + posts
Group Icon

Member No.: 984

QUOTE(beartrap @ Jun 4 2006, 09:02 PM) [snapback]133418[/snapback]

Didn't you ignorant folk ever hear that the good ole midwestern meat and potatoes look is what lost souls are looking for? They might have carnal thoughts if they happened to see Dr. Thrash and Shelly Quinn made up like Jezebel hussies, Danny Shelton looking like Tom Cruise, or John Lomacang looking like Barak Obama. We wouldn't want to be responsible for causing them to be carnal now would we? Oh, and those people's inner beauty might end up lost under all that makeup, jewelry, and ties.

Bear, you just made me spit my coffee postum! rofl1.gif rofl1.gif roflmao.gif

This post has been edited by Nuggie: Jun 5 2006, 08:25 AM

--------------------
Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.

+Quote Post
gracetoyou
post Jun 5 2006, 08:40 AM
Post #29

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,724

"For Christ's sake, whose witnesses we are, we should seek to make the best of our appearance... Our appearance in every respect should be characterized by neatness, modesty, and purity.... 6 T, p. 96

"The young should be encouraged to form correct habits in dress, that their appearance may be neat and attractive;" 6 T, p. 170

Dressly attractively is not condemned in the word of God. Neither does it condemn make-up. That seems to be an Adventist tradition. There is one reference in The Health Reformer, 10-01-1871, that talks about how women are endangering their lives by wearing cosmetics, but that can be explained when one learns that facial powder at that time contained "large quantitites of lead" which "eventually destroyed complexions and resulted in countless premature deaths." Rouge "was colored with cinnabar, a poisonous red sulfide of mercury. For centuries, the same red cream served to paint the lips, where it was more easily ingested and insidiously poisonous." Extraordinary Origins of Everyday Things, p. 224 So Ellen White was historically correct when she warned about the cosmetics of her time. It was a health issue. That does not apply to the cosmetics of our day.

It's weird that some Adventist women will cut, curl, mousse, relax, etc. the hair on their heads, shave their hair on the legs and under their arms, wear perfume and deodorant, smooth on hand and body lotion, use mouthwash, etc., etc., but Nooooo, they won't wear makeup because that would not be "natural." Don't want to be like the "world" or "Jezebel". doh.gif

And for the men, why do you shave your beards? That practice comes from pagan society (Egypt), is not Biblical, the pioneers wore beards, is not natural (God put hair on men's faces), is a worldly custom, etc. Are you trying to get in touch with your feminine side?

Biblical and Spirit of Prophecy principles on dress really do make sense when properly understood and applied and would recommend us to the world. Look at how Jackie Kennedy's simple dress, makeup, hair styles were admired compared to Tammy Faye Bakker's overdone look, which was ridiculed by secular society.

--------------------
GRACETOYOU

Grace to you and peace from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ. 1 Corinthians 1:3

+Quote Post
simplysaved
post Jun 5 2006, 08:47 AM
Post #30

5,000 + posts
Group Icon

Member No.: 830

Well said! smile.gif

QUOTE(gracetoyou @ Jun 5 2006, 09:40 AM) [snapback]133501[/snapback]

"For Christ's sake, whose witnesses we are, we should seek to make the best of our appearance... Our appearance in every respect should be characterized by neatness, modesty, and purity.... 6 T, p. 96

"The young should be encouraged to form correct habits in dress, that their appearance may be neat and attractive;" 6 T, p. 170

Dressly attractively is not condemned in the word of God. Neither does it condemn make-up. That seems to be an Adventist tradition. There is one reference in The Health Reformer, 10-01-1871, that talks about how women are endangering their lives by wearing cosmetics, but that can be explained when one learns that facial powder at that time contained "large quantitites of lead" which "eventually destroyed complexions and resulted in countless premature deaths." Rouge "was colored with cinnabar, a poisonous red sulfide of mercury. For centuries, the same red cream served to paint the lips, where it was more easily ingested and insidiously poisonous." Extraordinary Origins of Everyday Things, p. 224 So Ellen White was historically correct when she warned about the cosmetics of her time. It was a health issue. That does not apply to the cosmetics of our day.

It's weird that some Adventist women will cut, curl, mousse, relax, etc. the hair on their heads, shave their hair on the legs and under their arms, wear perfume and deodorant, smooth on hand and body lotion, use mouthwash, etc., etc., but Nooooo, they won't wear makeup because that would not be "natural." Don't want to be like the "world" or "Jezebel". doh.gif

And for the men, why do you shave your beards? That practice comes from pagan society (Egypt), is not Biblical, the pioneers wore beards, is not natural (God put hair on men's faces), is a worldly custom, etc. Are you trying to get in touch with your feminine side?

Biblical and Spirit of Prophecy principles on dress really do make sense when properly understood and applied and would recommend us to the world. Look at how Jackie Kennedy's simple dress, makeup, hair styles were admired compared to Tammy Faye Bakker's overdone look, which was ridiculed by secular society.

--------------------
"No weapon formed against YOU (Sarah--and every Believer/Servant of God) shall prosper and every tongue that rises against you in judgement you will condemn...."--Isaiah 54:17

+Quote Post

7 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd March 2008 - 03:57 PM
Design by: Download IPB Skins & eBusiness
BlackSDA has no official affiliation or endorsement from the Seventh-day Adventist church