Archive of http://www.blacksda.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=9455&st=30 preserved for the defense in 3ABN and Danny Shelton v. Joy and Pickle.
Links altered to maintain their integrity and aid in navigation, but content otherwise unchanged.
Saved at 04:57:32 PM on March 23, 2008.
IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

7 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 3abn Virgin
Chez
post Jun 5 2006, 08:57 AM
Post #31

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,417

QUOTE(gracetoyou @ Jun 5 2006, 08:40 AM) [snapback]133501[/snapback]

"For Christ's sake, whose witnesses we are, we should seek to make the best of our appearance... Our appearance in every respect should be characterized by neatness, modesty, and purity.... 6 T, p. 96

"The young should be encouraged to form correct habits in dress, that their appearance may be neat and attractive;" 6 T, p. 170

Dressly attractively is not condemned in the word of God. Neither does it condemn make-up. That seems to be an Adventist tradition. There is one reference in The Health Reformer, 10-01-1871, that talks about how women are endangering their lives by wearing cosmetics, but that can be explained when one learns that facial powder at that time contained "large quantitites of lead" which "eventually destroyed complexions and resulted in countless premature deaths." Rouge "was colored with cinnabar, a poisonous red sulfide of mercury. For centuries, the same red cream served to paint the lips, where it was more easily ingested and insidiously poisonous." Extraordinary Origins of Everyday Things, p. 224 So Ellen White was historically correct when she warned about the cosmetics of her time. It was a health issue. That does not apply to the cosmetics of our day.

It's weird that some Adventist women will cut, curl, mousse, relax, etc. the hair on their heads, shave their hair on the legs and under their arms, wear perfume and deodorant, smooth on hand and body lotion, use mouthwash, etc., etc., but Nooooo, they won't wear makeup because that would not be "natural." Don't want to be like the "world" or "Jezebel". doh.gif

And for the men, why do you shave your beards? That practice comes from pagan society (Egypt), is not Biblical, the pioneers wore beards, is not natural (God put hair on men's faces), is a worldly custom, etc. Are you trying to get in touch with your feminine side?

Biblical and Spirit of Prophecy principles on dress really do make sense when properly understood and applied and would recommend us to the world. Look at how Jackie Kennedy's simple dress, makeup, hair styles were admired compared to Tammy Faye Bakker's overdone look, which was ridiculed by secular society.

Amen. Well said.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Seraphim7
post Jun 5 2006, 09:11 AM
Post #32

Heiress Josey
Group Icon

Group: Charter Member
Member No.: 6

QUOTE(pmorris68 @ Jun 4 2006, 05:38 PM) [snapback]133374[/snapback]

This weekend my family was at Cohutta Springs...We had a great time. Cohutta Springs has the Hope Channel and 3ABN. So this was my first time EVER watching 3ABN. EVER!!! (Not sure if this topic belongs here but here it goes). I've watched it via the web, but never on TV.

How come these folks look like plain ole janes. Every person on there looked ghostly!! What happened to their color in their skins. OH MY GOODNESS...Melissa Summers does a show on Issues and Answers. She looked a HOT MESS!! Her clothes were too big on her, and her face looked ashy. I was like WOW!! What in the world.

IS that what we look like now? OH MY GOODNESS!!! What in the world? How can we minister to folks looking crazy? Now...before you jump on me. THIS IS NOT ABOUT MAKEUP. I am talking about moisturizer. Plain ole powder to the face. The one white lady who sang (I liked her song) but she had color but Danny didn't, neither did the young man he was questioning. I sat there laughing for about 2 hours. Surely we can do better than this. What in the world?

Oh my... ohmy.gif

--------------------
WELCOME to BlackSDA from seraph|m, a BSDA Charter member.
Please Join us in The Married Forum and/or Sabbath School Lesson Study forums.

Then, come join us here, Live Chat Lesson Study ,for our Friday night study @ 8pm CST/9pm EST. The lesson can be found at Sabbath School Network (SSNET)

Motto- "Weapons of Mass Distraction, Have No Place Here. " "Qui tacet consentire videtur,"
Are not official staff mottos and are not endorsed by BSDA Management.

+Quote Post
princessdi
post Jun 5 2006, 09:33 AM
Post #33

5,000 + posts
Group Icon

Group: Administrator
Member No.: 47

Well said!!! Let us not forget Jan Crouch!!! She actually has PINK hair!!!! OK?!!!! I totally agree put in a line up with Jan and Tammy Faye, somebody who didn't know them, would definitely pick Jackie 'O to be the christian.

I also want to add that the no make up, etc. policy is an attempt to control the "environment" so to speak. It is based in the belief or misbelief that women are responsible for men's minds, and keeping them "stayed on Jesus". If the women look plain, refrain from adorning themselves, etc. the men are less likely to stray. We know how wrong that is, right?

QUOTE(gracetoyou @ Jun 5 2006, 07:40 AM) [snapback]133501[/snapback]

"For Christ's sake, whose witnesses we are, we should seek to make the best of our appearance... Our appearance in every respect should be characterized by neatness, modesty, and purity.... 6 T, p. 96

"The young should be encouraged to form correct habits in dress, that their appearance may be neat and attractive;" 6 T, p. 170

Dressly attractively is not condemned in the word of God. Neither does it condemn make-up. That seems to be an Adventist tradition. There is one reference in The Health Reformer, 10-01-1871, that talks about how women are endangering their lives by wearing cosmetics, but that can be explained when one learns that facial powder at that time contained "large quantitites of lead" which "eventually destroyed complexions and resulted in countless premature deaths." Rouge "was colored with cinnabar, a poisonous red sulfide of mercury. For centuries, the same red cream served to paint the lips, where it was more easily ingested and insidiously poisonous." Extraordinary Origins of Everyday Things, p. 224 So Ellen White was historically correct when she warned about the cosmetics of her time. It was a health issue. That does not apply to the cosmetics of our day.

It's weird that some Adventist women will cut, curl, mousse, relax, etc. the hair on their heads, shave their hair on the legs and under their arms, wear perfume and deodorant, smooth on hand and body lotion, use mouthwash, etc., etc., but Nooooo, they won't wear makeup because that would not be "natural." Don't want to be like the "world" or "Jezebel". doh.gif

And for the men, why do you shave your beards? That practice comes from pagan society (Egypt), is not Biblical, the pioneers wore beards, is not natural (God put hair on men's faces), is a worldly custom, etc. Are you trying to get in touch with your feminine side?

Biblical and Spirit of Prophecy principles on dress really do make sense when properly understood and applied and would recommend us to the world. Look at how Jackie Kennedy's simple dress, makeup, hair styles were admired compared to Tammy Faye Bakker's overdone look, which was ridiculed by secular society.

This post has been edited by princessdi: Jun 5 2006, 09:40 AM

--------------------
TTFN
Di

And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose---Romans 8:28

A great many people believe they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.-- William James

It is better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.- Mark Twain

+Quote Post
Guest_vonessa_*
post Jun 5 2006, 10:39 AM
Post #34

Guests

It is probably not alright for a woman to then wear the make up but it is okay for a man to wear a wig or get hair seeds planted in his head.

Overall it seems like they are playing to a group of folks who they think exists who don't like attractivity or interesting music and what have you. I don't know if those folks exist, and if they do they probably dont give as much as they think they do.

+Quote Post
Guest_vonessa_*
post Jun 5 2006, 11:21 AM
Post #35

Guests

A while back somebody said that aside from the long dangling earrings, a lot of people might mistake lesbians in San Francisco for Adventist women. The lack of make-up and plain faces would be a giveaway it seems. I dont know if that is true or not because I dont know too many lesbians, but is that true?

+Quote Post
beanchild
post Jun 5 2006, 11:35 AM
Post #36

1,000 + posts
Group Icon

Member No.: 770

QUOTE(vonessa @ Jun 5 2006, 12:39 PM) [snapback]133525[/snapback]

It is probably not alright for a woman to then wear the make up but it is okay for a man to wear a wig or get hair seeds planted in his head.

Overall it seems like they are playing to a group of folks who they think exists who don't like attractivity or interesting music and what have you. I don't know if those folks exist, and if they do they probably dont give as much as they think they do.

hair seeds!!! roflmao.gif

QUOTE(vonessa @ Jun 5 2006, 01:21 PM) [snapback]133530[/snapback]

A while back somebody said that aside from the long dangling earrings, a lot of people might mistake lesbians in San Francisco for Adventist women. The lack of make-up and plain faces would be a giveaway it seems. I dont know if that is true or not because I dont know too many lesbians, but is that true?

...depends on the lesbian. the ones i know understand beauty products quite well...

--------------------
"NATURAL FABRIC! NATURAL FABRIC!!!"
largo, mt, 961

+Quote Post
Chez
post Jun 5 2006, 11:37 AM
Post #37

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,417

QUOTE(vonessa @ Jun 5 2006, 12:21 PM) [snapback]133530[/snapback]

I don't know who said it, but I have thought about that myself. Once I was told that makeup was designed to make one's skin look flawless, not "made up". Many of the Adventist women who I know who wear makeup, actually look good. Oh by the way, doesn't Mollie Steenson wear makeup? Some of the other women (I've noticed) pluck their eyebrows and wear a little lipstick. Why don't the "sisters" apply a little makeup to bring out their beautiful features? In addition, studio lights can be murderous to one's skin; therefore, a little makeup with a sunscreen can help rather than hurt.

+Quote Post
missthg
post Jun 5 2006, 11:52 AM
Post #38

1,000 + posts
Group Icon

Group: Charter Member
Member No.: 9

giggle.gif giggle.gif you are a mess!!!

QUOTE(beartrap @ Jun 4 2006, 07:02 PM) [snapback]133418[/snapback]

Didn't you ignorant folk ever hear that the good ole midwestern meat and potatoes look is what lost souls are looking for? They might have carnal thoughts if they happened to see Dr. Thrash and Shelly Quinn made up like Jezebel hussies, Danny Shelton looking like Tom Cruise, or John Lomacang looking like Barak Obama. We wouldn't want to be responsible for causing them to be carnal now would we? Oh, and those people's inner beauty might end up lost under all that makeup, jewelry, and ties.

When you see a lesbian who wants to be known as a lesbian - you defiantely won't mistake her for being adventist!
rofl1.gif rofl1.gif roflmao.gif roflmao.gif

QUOTE(vonessa @ Jun 5 2006, 09:21 AM) [snapback]133530[/snapback]

--------------------
life is too short to knit with ugly yarn....
www.knitfloozy.blogspot.com

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

+Quote Post
princessdi
post Jun 5 2006, 12:16 PM
Post #39

5,000 + posts
Group Icon

No Gurl! LOL!!! Where did you get that from? There are soooo many stereo types within that statement, I don't know where to start. Where ever you got that from, stop reading it, listening to them, disregard whatever the source.

QUOTE(vonessa @ Jun 5 2006, 10:21 AM) [snapback]133530[/snapback]

This post has been edited by princessdi: Jun 5 2006, 12:35 PM

--------------------
TTFN
Di

And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose---Romans 8:28

A great many people believe they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.-- William James

It is better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.- Mark Twain

+Quote Post
gracetoyou
post Jun 5 2006, 12:34 PM
Post #40

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,724

QUOTE(princessdi @ Jun 5 2006, 10:33 AM) [snapback]133518[/snapback]

Well said!!! Let us not forget Jan Crouch!!! She actually has PINK hair!!!! OK?!!!! I totally agree put in a line up with Jan and Tammy Faye, somebody who didn't know them, would definitely pick Jackie 'O to be the christian.

I also want to add that the no make up, etc. policy is an attempt to control the "environment" so to speak. It is based in the belief or misbelief that women are responsible for men's minds, and keeping them "stayed on Jesus". If the women look plain, refrain from adorning themselves, etc. the men are less likely to stray. We know how wrong that is, right?

Yeah, I forgot about Jan Crouch. Every time I watch TBN, which isn't often, I am transfixed by Jan's swooped over, super bouffant hairstyle. I can't believe she thinks she looks good like that. She seems to be a pretty woman underneath all that.

This thread is hilarious. roflmao.gif lol.gif

Too bad some Adventists believe that "homeliness is next to godliness."

This post has been edited by gracetoyou: Jun 5 2006, 06:56 PM

--------------------
GRACETOYOU

Grace to you and peace from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ. 1 Corinthians 1:3

+Quote Post
princessdi
post Jun 5 2006, 12:38 PM
Post #41

5,000 + posts
Group Icon

You be wrong for dis heya'! LOL!!!! rofl1.gif
QUOTE(gracetoyou @ Jun 5 2006, 11:34 AM) [snapback]133541[/snapback]

Too bad some Adventists believe that "homeliness is next to godliness."

--------------------
TTFN
Di

+Quote Post
pmorris68
post Jun 5 2006, 12:51 PM
Post #42

1,000 + posts
Group Icon

Member No.: 399

I was just too out done. Face ashy, clothes too big, and hair not done. That says "I am having a bad week!!". I had no business being on TV. no.gif

+Quote Post
princessdi
post Jun 5 2006, 12:59 PM
Post #43

5,000 + posts
Group Icon

LOL!!! Gurl, I'll be ret there!! They be having to have dey hairdone by Thrusday........preparation day, ya' know! LOL!!!

QUOTE(missthg @ Jun 4 2006, 03:09 PM) [snapback]133380[/snapback]

hey now - don't be trying to move - make sure they pay for you to fly back on sundays!

This post has been edited by princessdi: Jun 5 2006, 01:03 PM

--------------------
TTFN
Di

+Quote Post
summertime
post Jun 5 2006, 02:17 PM
Post #44

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,655

QUOTE(sonshineonme @ Jun 5 2006, 12:59 AM) [snapback]133440[/snapback]

I love it! It never dawned on me that Danny only wares those turtlenecks....wonder what he is covering up under there? (tattoos?) lol.gif

I am old!! I wear turtlenecks to cover my wrinkled neck. Perhaps others do the same.

This post has been edited by summertime: Jun 6 2006, 03:48 PM

+Quote Post
simplysaved
post Jun 5 2006, 02:59 PM
Post #45

5,000 + posts
Group Icon

Member No.: 830

QUOTE(pmorris68 @ Jun 5 2006, 12:51 PM) [snapback]133545[/snapback]

I was just too out done. Face ashy, clothes too big, and hair not done. That says "I am having a bad week!!". I had no business being on TV. no.gif

roflmao.gif

--------------------
"No weapon formed against YOU (Sarah--and every Believer/Servant of God) shall prosper and every tongue that rises against you in judgement you will condemn...."--Isaiah 54:17

+Quote Post

7 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd March 2008 - 03:57 PM
Design by: Download IPB Skins & eBusiness
BlackSDA has no official affiliation or endorsement from the Seventh-day Adventist church