Archive of http://www.blacksda.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=9773&st=15 preserved for the defense in 3ABN and Danny Shelton v. Joy and Pickle.
Links altered to maintain their integrity and aid in navigation, but content otherwise unchanged.
Saved at 04:59:11 PM on March 23, 2008.
IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

6 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> An Unauthorized History of 3ABN, Chapter 9 (doing things for God)
watchbird
post Jun 11 2006, 02:02 PM
Post #16

1,000 + posts
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,712

QUOTE(Panama_Pete @ Jun 10 2006, 12:29 PM) [snapback]134226[/snapback]

Donors I have spoken to did not intend to create a figure to be venerated for its own sake.

I'm sure there are very many different reasons why donors gave to 3ABN. And those reasons would range all the way from being totally innocent believers that they were indeed giving to promote the mission and scope of the Adventist church of which they are members to those who gave as an act of rebellion against the Adventist church of which they are members. And there are probably many more motives that could not be put in a straight line between those two positions. Only God can judge the motives. And only God knows what became of each specific offering. In most cases that is. For we do know of those whose offerings were diverted from their intended purpose, even when that purpose was clearly stated (as, for example, in the infamous diversion of funds given for a tabernacle exhibit building). But be that as it may, there is no guilt resting on those who gave for the right motives without knowing the misuse to which their money was being put. Hopefully there are more now that know, and are not giving their funds because of that knowledge

Golden Calf Broadcasting Network wasn't in their thinking at the time. But, you come down from the mountain after being away for awhile, and you find a big surprise. It happens.

rofl1.gif That is such a clever handle and metaphor that I hate like everything to rain on your parade, but really, if you examine the "fine print", it doesn't match up so well. Oh there are similarities. The gold givers were giving to an "independent ministry" that was going contrary to the Church led by the Guy and the guy on the top of the mountain. And they did indeed bow down and worship the image created from their gold and aclaim it as their "god". And it has such a nice neat and final ending to the story, with the image completely ground to dust and the people who worshiped it punished. It really is a delightful "image" to play with. notworthy.gif

But.

Having said all that, your point was (I think) about the innocence of the givers. And I think those calf worshipers back there at the foot of the mountain were very much aware of the purpose for which they were giving their gold. I'll admit to rather liking the quick and efficient way things were handled back there at the foot of the mountain. But I suspect there may be other Bible examples that might be more accurately reflective of our current "golden calf". yes.gif

QUOTE(Panama_Pete @ Jun 10 2006, 12:34 PM) [snapback]134230[/snapback]

Yes, but have I learned my lesson? wallbash.gif

It sounds like you have. I just hope you don't addle your brains by bashing your head against the unchangeable wall of past mistakes so they aren't available for applying the lesson to future needs. wave.gif

QUOTE(Johann @ Jun 11 2006, 01:13 PM) [snapback]134316[/snapback]

So, what is the lesson? And what is the subject?

Ah, yes. scratchchin.gif These are the questions. Different folk draw different lessons from the same experience. Some are more helpful for dealing with futures than others. yes.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Panama_Pete
post Jun 11 2006, 04:06 PM
Post #17

500 + posts
Group Icon

Member No.: 522

QUOTE(watchbird @ Jun 11 2006, 02:02 PM) [snapback]134321[/snapback]

Your point was (I think) about the innocence of the givers. And I think those calf worshipers back there at the foot of the mountain were very much aware of the purpose for which they were giving their gold.

That's an important point you mentioned about all of the gold donors knowing the calf-making purpose. You may be entirely correct.

In my mind, I saw large numbers of Israelites, many in the outer edges of the camp and out of the loop, respectfully giving Aaron, an authority figure, what he asked for without thinking about it. I imagined one of those "What do you have in your hand" stories.

The immediate effect of this enterprise seems to be that 3,000 wayward calf-worshippers are killed. The rest of the Israelites are forced to drink the ground-up dust of the calf to show them how powerless idols really are.

One Jewish History site says:

"When Moses came down the mountain, were 3 million Jews dancing around a golden calf?

No. The Torah, in Exodus 32:28, says it was only about 3 thousand people.

That means only .1% of the Jews participated and 99.9% of the Jews did not.

http://www.aish.com/literacy/jewishhistory...Golden_Calf.asp

+Quote Post
sister
post Jun 12 2006, 10:26 AM
Post #18

500 + posts
Group Icon

Member No.: 762

Best Friends...

Where does Brenda Walsh, a.k.a. the cookie lady, fit into the Unauthorized History of 3ABN? Could she be just another one of Danny's conquests? kiss.gif Or was she really Linda Shelton's best friend? hug.gif How could she publically include Linda Shelton as the "fourth sister" in the quartet that includes Linda with Brenda's two gossip.gif female siblings and then when she writes her autobiography refer to this same Linda, not even by name but only as the "vice president" of 3ABN?

Stay tuned... TVsnack.gif

+Quote Post
Johann
post Jun 12 2006, 11:53 AM
Post #19

1,000 + posts
Group Icon

From: Iceland, formerly Denmark, Norway, USA, Sierra Leone, Nigeria, Faeroe Islands. Bound for Heaven.
Member No.: 686

QUOTE(sister @ Jun 12 2006, 06:26 PM) [snapback]134425[/snapback]

Best Friends...

Where does Brenda Walsh, a.k.a. the cookie lady, fit into the Unauthorized History of 3ABN? Could she be just another one of Danny's conquests? kiss.gif Or was she really Linda Shelton's best friend? hug.gif How could she publically include Linda Shelton as the "fourth sister" in the quartet that includes Linda with Brenda's two gossip.gif female siblings and then when she writes her autobiography refer to this same Linda, not even by name but only as the "vice president" of 3ABN?

Some time after her return from Norway Brenda had a birthday party for Danny (May 19) where all the Sheltons were invited. Although Danny was still married Linda was not invited. I recall Linda telling me she could not understand why she was left out, because she had no intention of leaving Danny.

--------------------
"Any fact that needs to be disclosed should be put out now or as quickly as possible, because otherwise the bleeding will not end." (Attributed to Henry Kissinger)

"He who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetrate it" (Martin Luther King)

"The truth can lose nothing by close investigation". (1888 Materials 38)

+Quote Post
Panama_Pete
post Jun 12 2006, 01:40 PM
Post #20

500 + posts
Group Icon

Member No.: 522

QUOTE(Johann @ Jun 12 2006, 11:53 AM) [snapback]134445[/snapback]

Some time after her return from Norway Brenda had a birthday party for Danny (May 19) where all the Sheltons were invited. Although Danny was still married Linda was not invited. I recall Linda telling me she could not understand why she was left out, because she had no intention of leaving Danny.

Benda Walsh gives Linda Shelton no invitation? Isn't it interesting how all of the puzzle pieces start to fit together to form a bigger picture.

+Quote Post
sister
post Jun 12 2006, 08:28 PM
Post #21

500 + posts
Group Icon

Member No.: 762

QUOTE(Panama_Pete @ Jun 12 2006, 02:40 PM) [snapback]134454[/snapback]

Benda Walsh gives Linda Shelton no invitation? Isn't it interesting how all of the puzzle pieces start to fit together to form a bigger picture.

Panama Pete, keep plugging in those puzzle pieces... The picture that is emerging has nothing to do with the PR that 3ABN is supplying, but you realized that already... Unfortunately this is starting to sound more like "Sex, Lies and Video Tape" than "The 3ABN Story: Mending Broken People". For what we have been lead to believe in the past is sometimes just an artfully prepared facade, produced to achieve certain desired results. Like artificial fruit it may be deceptive at a distance, but upon closer inspection, it leaves much to be desired when compared to the genuine article.

Working out the 3ABN puzzle has become something like those pictures that were very popular in the 90's; they appeared to be a random pattern when first observed, but upon closer inspection there was a recognizable image, although it was not easily detected by the uninitiated. Some individuals became quickly adept at decoding the pattern and finding the picture hidden within the design. I was not one of these. Using as much determination as possible I would continued to stare at the page before my eyes, searching for the image that was hidden among the seemingly unconnected pattern. My husband kept saying, “Do you see it?” I replied, “No.” Again he would ask, “Do you see it now?” Still nothing. Then someone working in the shop would come and give some hints. Still nothing... Then finally someone “in the know” gives just the right directions that brings everything into focus: “stare straight ahead and then kind of look sideways at the same time”. And suddenly out of all the disassociated information an image pops out at me! At first you only get a quick glimpse and it disappears again into the background. With time and practice you develop a new paradigm for discovering the message cleverly hidden beneath the surface design. So it is with discovering the truth behind the history of 3ABN.

Panama Pete, hopefully you are not the only one putting together the puzzle and others are also beginning to see new images emerging from seeing behind the scenes at 3ABN...

+Quote Post
Johann
post Jun 13 2006, 02:33 AM
Post #22

1,000 + posts
Group Icon

From: Iceland, formerly Denmark, Norway, USA, Sierra Leone, Nigeria, Faeroe Islands. Bound for Heaven.

QUOTE(sister @ Jun 13 2006, 03:28 AM) [snapback]134494[/snapback]

Panama Pete, keep plugging in those puzzle pieces... The picture that is emerging has nothing to do with the PR that 3ABN is supplying, but you realized that already... Unfortunately this is starting to sound more like "Sex, Lies and Video Tape" than "The 3ABN Story: Mending Broken People". For what we have been lead to believe in the past is sometimes just an artfully prepared facade, produced to achieve certain desired results. Like artificial fruit it may be deceptive at a distance, but upon closer inspection, it leaves much to be desired when compared to the genuine article.

Working out the 3ABN puzzle has become something like those pictures that were very popular in the 90's; they appeared to be a random pattern when first observed, but upon closer inspection there was a recognizable image, although it was not easily detected by the uninitiated. Some individuals became quickly adept at decoding the pattern and finding the picture hidden within the design. I was not one of these. Using as much determination as possible I would continued to stare at the page before my eyes, searching for the image that was hidden among the seemingly unconnected pattern. My husband kept saying, “Do you see it?” I replied, “No.” Again he would ask, “Do you see it now?” Still nothing. Then someone working in the shop would come and give some hints. Still nothing... Then finally someone “in the know” gives just the right directions that brings everything into focus: “stare straight ahead and then kind of look sideways at the same time”. And suddenly out of all the disassociated information an image pops out at me! At first you only get a quick glimpse and it disappears again into the background. With time and practice you develop a new paradigm for discovering the message cleverly hidden beneath the surface design. So it is with discovering the truth behind the history of 3ABN.

Panama Pete, hopefully you are not the only one putting together the puzzle and others are also beginning to see new images emerging from seeing behind the scenes at 3ABN...

wave.gif

--------------------
"Any fact that needs to be disclosed should be put out now or as quickly as possible, because otherwise the bleeding will not end." (Attributed to Henry Kissinger)

"He who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetrate it" (Martin Luther King)

+Quote Post
sonshineonme
post Jun 13 2006, 06:55 PM
Post #23

1,000 + posts
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,709

QUOTE(Panama_Pete @ Jun 12 2006, 12:40 PM) [snapback]134454[/snapback]

... Isn't it interesting how all of the puzzle pieces start to fit together to form a bigger picture.

That's just it. There is a bigger picture to be seen. I think God is trying to teach us all something through this mess. I am hoping everyday that it is seen by someone, that someone learns what's happening, it's called getting educated. Then there are those that know the truth in this situation, and continue to look the other way only because they are AFRAID, afraid to be part of the exposure, afraid to tell the truth; let "someone else" do it! These are tired words, arn't they? It's is a sad sad thing. I believe every person has to come to a place when they admit what is truth, accept it as it is, and then have the peace that comes by doing so. Fear is an instrument of the devils, and those around us that seek to control us and situations. When we really do take a stand and TRUST God, the oppertunities HE gives us to speak out and up, not only does it help us individually, but it also helps others. There is a big picture here, of deception, allusion, greed and abuse that have and are playing out still. We can each do something about it. We just need to be willing to the job God gives us to do, with NO FEAR. Wouldn't that really ruin the devils and Danny's day if the tide were to change!? I think it is changing. yes.gif

--------------------
Here's the thing - "...if you pull "folks" into a fight you don't know what "weapon" they will bring." PrincessDrRe

"A man who digs a pit for others to fall into, will end up falling into it himself. And if a man rolls a stone on someone, the stone will roll back on him". Said Solomon the wise, Proverbs 26:27

"No man can follow Christ and go astray." William H.P. Faunce

"If I could hear Christ praying for me in the next room, I would not fear a million enemies. Yet distance makes no difference. He is praying for me." Robert M. McCheyne

Click here for Linda Shelton's newly updated website

+Quote Post
Guest_statrei_*
post Jun 13 2006, 07:03 PM
Post #24

Guests

No one is learning any lessons while they hold on to the same faulty theology that has carried 3ABN all these years. This is no quite sour grapes but it is a close imitation.

+Quote Post
Johann
post Jun 13 2006, 09:47 PM
Post #25

1,000 + posts
Group Icon

QUOTE(statrei @ Jun 14 2006, 03:03 AM) [snapback]134614[/snapback]

No one is learning any lessons while they hold on to the same faulty theology that has carried 3ABN all these years. This is no quite sour grapes but it is a close imitation.

You have given us a gist of their faulty theology before, but could you renew our pure (or poor) minds by reminding us with a new gust of wisdom, perhaps from a different direction that we may comprehend certain different aspects of it?

Who is the "no one" you are referring to, or is that universal?

--------------------

+Quote Post
gracetoyou
post Jun 15 2006, 02:05 PM
Post #26

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,724

Moving right along...

Polly's Place is producing a set of 13 videos - Empowered - about how people can use the power of Christ to overcome problems such as eating disorders, addiction, abuse, etc. These videos should be available in September. Several stations, including the Loma Linda station, have expressed interest in showing them. The Hope Channel is also a possibility. Some of the videos involve Linda Shelton, so these videos will help Linda get out before the public. Hopefully, viewers will start wondering and questioning the 3abn version of the story.

The videos will also be available for purchase, so we can buy them and show them in our local churches for Sabbath afternoon seminars, vespers, community outreach, or loan out to individuals.
Besides helping the people to whom these issues apply, it would also be a way to bring up the subject of Linda and her innocence.

--------------------
GRACETOYOU

Grace to you and peace from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ. 1 Corinthians 1:3

+Quote Post
princessdi
post Jun 15 2006, 02:22 PM
Post #27

5,000 + posts
Group Icon

Group: Administrator
Member No.: 47

Ok, so, did I miss something? I know I haven't quite kept up, but is the consensus that Linda was abused. Just give me the Reader's Diegst version....Yes____ NO____
QUOTE(gracetoyou @ Jun 15 2006, 01:05 PM) [snapback]134865[/snapback]

Moving right along...

Polly's Place is producing a set of 13 videos - Empowered - about how people can use the power of Christ to overcome problems such as eating disorders, addiction, abuse, etc. These videos should be available in September. Several stations, including the Loma Linda station, have expressed interest in showing them. The Hope Channel is also a possibility. Some of the videos involve Linda Shelton, so these videos will help Linda get out before the public. Hopefully, viewers will start wondering and questioning the 3abn version of the story.

The videos will also be available for purchase, so we can buy them and show them in our local churches for Sabbath afternoon seminars, vespers, community outreach, or loan out to individuals.
Besides helping the people to whom these issues apply, it would also be a way to bring up the subject of Linda and her innocence.

This post has been edited by princessdi: Jun 15 2006, 02:23 PM

--------------------
TTFN
Di

And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose---Romans 8:28

A great many people believe they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.-- William James

It is better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.- Mark Twain

+Quote Post
caribbean sda
post Jun 15 2006, 02:24 PM
Post #28

500 + posts
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,678

Well...it's official: 3ABN will no longer be carried by Sky Angel...
http://www.nadadventist.org/mondayfax

According to the Friday Fax from the North American Division:
3ABN has received the final word that they will not be back on the Sky Angel System. This is a good time to let your church members know that all is not lost. They can obtain a satellite dish package that includes 3ABN as well as many other Adventist channels that were not part of Sky Angel, with no monthly fees. This package includes the Hope Channel (Official Channel of the Church), Esperanza TV, 3ABN Latino, 3ABN English, ATN 1 and ATN/ACN 2 (Special Event Church Channels), LLBN (Loma Linda Broadcasting Network), LifeTalk Radio, 3ABN Radio, and Radio 74 International.

http://www.3abn.org/announcements.cfm
Sky Angel Update
NOTICE TO VIEWERS THAT WERE WATCHING 3ABN WITH SKY ANGEL SYSTEM ONLY.
Since April 14th, 2006, the 3ABN viewers using Sky Angel subscription, lost the ability to watch 3ABN channel on their system. The reason for it was a sudden loss of one transponder of the satellite EchoStar III. This satellite transponder broadcasts 10 of the 33 channels that Sky Angel offers. A few days later, Sky Angel was able to get only seven channels back on the air. Unfortunately for us, they chose 3ABN to be one of the three channels that were not going to be re-instated on the satellite backup transponder. Since then, Sky Angel has been working with EchoStar to try to get the other three channels back on the satellite but last Friday, May 26, we received the final word from Sky Angel that their negotiations with EchoStar had finished without getting the satellite space for the other 3 channels. Therefore, it is a final decision that 3ABN will not be back on the Sky Angel System. Although it is beyond our control, we apologize for this inconvenience to our Sky Angel viewers. The Life Time subscription that some of you purchased, is still valid and you can continue to watch the other channels Sky Angel has to offer. If you want to continue watching 3ABN, the only offer we have at this time is our own satellite system that is sold for $199.00.

This post has been edited by caribbean sda: Jun 15 2006, 02:27 PM

--------------------
"Press on, regardless...what's to come is better than what's been...!"

+Quote Post
gracetoyou
post Jun 15 2006, 02:43 PM
Post #29

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,724

QUOTE(princessdi @ Jun 15 2006, 04:22 PM) [snapback]134866[/snapback]

Ok, so, did I miss something? I know I haven't quite kept up, but is the consensus that Linda was abused. Just give me the Reader's Diegst version....Yes____ NO____

When I wrote that the videos involve Linda, I believe that she may be the moderator or host of some of the programs, not that the videos were about Linda and her marriage with Danny. When viewers see Linda on the videos, they may realize that Linda is still involved in Christian ministry and is not some hussy who ran off with a European doctor. They may begin to ask questions as to what really happened in the divorce from Danny.

Was Linda abused in her marriage? From all that I've read on this forum, Linda was very much abused.

This post has been edited by gracetoyou: Jun 15 2006, 02:49 PM

--------------------
GRACETOYOU

Grace to you and peace from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ. 1 Corinthians 1:3

+Quote Post
princessdi
post Jun 15 2006, 03:03 PM
Post #30

5,000 + posts
Group Icon

Group: Administrator
Member No.: 47

Ok, but I am just trying to to connect the two things in your statement below.

"Besides helping the people to whom these issues apply, it would also be a way to bring up the subject of Linda and her innocence."

I totally agree that she was at least emotionally abuse.

QUOTE(gracetoyou @ Jun 15 2006, 12:43 PM) [snapback]134869[/snapback]

When I wrote that the videos involve Linda, I believe that she may be the moderator or host of some of the programs, not that the videos were about Linda and her marriage with Danny. When viewers see Linda on the videos, they may realize that Linda is still involved in Christian ministry and is not some hussy who ran off with a European doctor. They may begin to ask questions as to what really happened in the divorce from Danny.

Was Linda abused in her marriage? From all that I've read on this forum, Linda was very much abused.

--------------------
TTFN
Di

And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose---Romans 8:28

A great many people believe they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.-- William James

It is better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.- Mark Twain

+Quote Post

6 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd March 2008 - 03:59 PM
Design by: Download IPB Skins & eBusiness
BlackSDA has no official affiliation or endorsement from the Seventh-day Adventist church