Archive of http://www.blacksda.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=11132&st=75 preserved for the defense in 3ABN and Danny Shelton v. Joy and Pickle.
Links altered to maintain their integrity and aid in navigation, but content otherwise unchanged.
Saved at 02:56:16 PM on March 23, 2008.
IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

11 Pages V  « < 4 5 6 7 8 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Statement - Alyssa Moore, Linda Shelton's daughter
watchbird
post Oct 5 2006, 03:55 AM
Post #76

1,000 + posts
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,712

QUOTE(västergötland @ Oct 4 2006, 11:48 PM) [snapback]155374[/snapback]

Who is the man getting smacked by his bear pal? Who is the bear doing the smacking? Come on, the context is in my other posts in this thread.

Those were my questions exactly. And I've examined your other posts.... and I still don't know. Maybe you could PM me on it.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
västergötland
post Oct 5 2006, 05:05 AM
Post #77

1,000 + posts
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,902

What if Alyssa is the bearowner? Who around is trying to help? What do I think about the actions so far presented?

If a crime has been done, it should be brought before a judge (and since in US, also a Jury). If a crime has not been done, alot of people in this forum have some explaining to do.

If a crime has been done and you bring it before the church rather than the court of law, watch out for those bear paws flying around.

--------------------
Christ crucified for our sins, Christ risen from the dead, Christ ascended on high, is the science of salvation that we are to learn and to teach. {8T 287.2}

Most Noble and Honourable Thomas the Abstemious of Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch

"I have said it before and I repeat it now: If someone could prove to me that apartheid is compatible with the Bible or christian faith, I would burn my bible and stop being a christian" Desmond Tutu

+Quote Post
summertime
post Oct 5 2006, 08:25 AM
Post #78

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,655

QUOTE(Daryl Fawcett @ Oct 4 2006, 07:01 PM) [snapback]155331[/snapback]

I was wondering the same thing.

If the prior life is connected to the present life, then isn't it relevant?

As far as this topic goes, at MSDAOL, I as the Administrator there agreed not to post it there, and, even though it has now been posted here, unless I am relieved from this agreement, I do not plan on posting it there.

Daryl, in all sincerity I wish that you would give us the reason that you have decided not to post Alyssia's letter on MSDOL. Is it that you do not believe the authenticity of the letter, or that you are protecting 3ABN from it being posted, or since you have already read it on BSDA you feel that you are relieved of the responsibility of it being posted so that all can read it, or that the SDA conference should be left to cover up the wrongs of its leaders so that it can remain strong in the eyes of the beholder?. Would it have been better if Alyssia would have taken her story to the courts way back in the year 2000? I feel that she will take the beating so that the perp can remain strong.

+Quote Post
justme
post Oct 5 2006, 08:31 AM
Post #79

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,056

QUOTE(västergötland @ Oct 5 2006, 07:05 AM) [snapback]155383[/snapback]

What if Alyssa is the bearowner? Who around is trying to help? What do I think about the actions so far presented?

If a crime has been done, it should be brought before a judge (and since in US, also a Jury). If a crime has not been done, alot of people in this forum have some explaining to do.

If a crime has been done and you bring it before the church rather than the court of law, watch out for those bear paws flying around.

Some 20 years or so ago when the actions allegedly took place that raise questions about Tommy, there was not nearly the “outcry” that there is today. So there are more chances of justice for earlier victims now than there was then. For one thing there is more outrage in general than there used to be. And there are more and better investigative techniques available now. Convictions are more prevalent. Sentences are longer and more appropriate. National sex-offender registration and reporting is taking place and tracking is improving.

It occurs to me that the way a law is written will determine whether a crime has been committed or not. In most states it seems that a person must be under “the age of consent” for a crime to have been committed. If the victim is OF the “age of consent” (“AOC” for now) then it depends on if there was or was not consent. If the victim has not been reached AOC then it mat called “a statutory crime”, or “crimes against children”.

I wonder what age Alyssa was at the time the allegations took place. When I say “allegations” I do NOT mean to MINIMIZE anything! It’s a term I HAVE TO USE at this time.

When all is said and done with this fiasco, I do hope we all learn to become more aware of questions we should be asking before we “start plopping down our hard-earned dollars” or “put people up on pedestals” just because they might happen to have a “silver tongue”, or because they have cute grandchildren. Who said, “an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure”? (so far it’s taking a lot of pounding to try to cure)

Can we also explore / discuss some ways to become “Wise as serpents but harmless as doves”?

+Quote Post
Observer
post Oct 5 2006, 08:39 AM
Post #80

500 + posts
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,664

Alyssia was 18, or over, and therefore had reached the age of consent.

The alleged offense was therefore not a crime against a minor. It might fall into the catagory of a crime of sexual assult.

--------------------
Gregory Matthews posts here under the name "Observer."

+Quote Post
Observer
post Oct 5 2006, 08:50 AM
Post #81

500 + posts
Group Icon

QUOTE(summertime @ Oct 5 2006, 08:25 AM) [snapback]155405[/snapback]

Daryl, in all sincerity I wish that you would give us the reason that you have decided not to post Alyssia's letter on MSDOL. Is it that you do not believe the authenticity of the letter, or that you are protecting 3ABN from it being posted, or since you have already read it on BSDA you feel that you are relieved of the responsibility of it being posted so that all can read it, or that the SDA conference should be left to cover up the wrongs of its leaders so that it can remain strong in the eyes of the beholder?. Would it have been better if Alyssia would have taken her story to the courts way back in the year 2000? I feel that she will take the beating so that the perp can remain strong.

In the area where I live, the media has generally agreed not to publish the names of claimed victims of sexual assult, unless that person either releases the media, or goes public.

That is the rationale behind Daryl not publishing Alyssia's statement.

Alyssia clearly stated that she was providing her statement to denominmational officials, did not want it published on the Internet, and did not want her name disclosed on the Internet. She also stated that everyperson who recieved her statemet must also be given her limitations on disclosure.

Someone, I do not know who, provided Alyssia's statement to another person without the limitations on disclosure. That person promptly posted both the statement, and the name, in MSDAOL.

When the person was taken to task for violating Alyssia's limitations, he promptly requested that the statement be removed. Due to the fact that Alyssia has never given permission for the wide-spread circulaltion that her statement has recieved, Daryl has not allowed it to be posted.

That position is an honorable one.

Yes, Alyssia should have known that someone would eventually leak it. But, it did stay secret for a period of time.

Yes, that statement has been circulated so widely that there may no longer be any reason to keep it secret. Perhaps it is now ethical to publish it due to its wide circulation.

But, people differ on ethical issues. Daryl has taken an ethical stand. That does not mean that BSDA is unethical for doing differently. People differ as to how they apply ethics to life.

--------------------

+Quote Post
watchbird
post Oct 5 2006, 08:58 AM
Post #82

1,000 + posts
Group Icon

QUOTE(summertime @ Oct 5 2006, 08:25 AM) [snapback]155405[/snapback]

He already gave it, Summertime. Daryl committed to keeping her name off of his forum in accordance with her written instructions. And whatever other faults Daryl has, he is a man of his word. If he receives different written instructions, I am sure he will bring it to his forum. (And don't think this is a backhanded slap at Calvin, either. Calvin made no such committment, so he was free to adhere to the request as long as he thought best, and to make a different judgement call when he thought best.)

IMO, it does no one any good to make hindsight comments on what Alyssa should have done back in the year 2000. It is quite obvious that she was not strong enough at that point to even confide fully in enuogh people to form a support base from which she *might* have been able to press charges. And with her limited financial resources, what would have been the chances of her winning such a case had she done so? With the battalion of lawyers that Danny's supporters could have mustered? Absolutely worse that zero! Certainly had she done so there, she would have merely "taken a beating" and the "perp" would have remained strong.

The Lord's timing is best. Let us concentrate on becoming part of Alyssa's support group rather than adding our criticism to the burden she already has to carry.

And beyond becoming "just" a "support group", I think it would be helpful for us to do some analysis of the factors which cause the sense of powerlessness to resist which all those who grow up in a home where a family member .... especially a father or father figure.... moves beyond appropriate bounds in showing physical "affection". Where are our counselors who are dealing with this almost every day in their work? Can we hear from some of them in this area?

QUOTE(Observer @ Oct 5 2006, 08:39 AM) [snapback]155412[/snapback]

Alyssia was 18, or over, and therefore had reached the age of consent.

The alleged offense was therefore not a crime against a minor. It might fall into the catagory of a crime of sexual assult.

It is hardly conceivable that the allegations that cover the 2000 time period were the first that could have been made. Alyssa is still growing in her capacity to handle the past.... and perhaps even now she does not fully recognize or understand the steps that were taken before that fateful summer that she identifies. Let's keep in mind that we are not judges. Nor are we her counselors. But given those caveates, it is still important for us to learn the dynamics that lead up to situations like this ... not merely to help Alyssa recognize them..... doubtless her counselors are doing that. But for the benefit of mothers who need help in recognizing the signs that their girls are at risk.... and for other women who are still struggling with memories and shame.... discussing the dynamics of these homes can, I think, be of real benefit.

+Quote Post
Observer
post Oct 5 2006, 09:12 AM
Post #83

500 + posts
Group Icon

QUOTE(watchbird @ Oct 5 2006, 07:58 AM) [snapback]155421[/snapback]

He already gave it, Summertime. Daryl committed to keeping her name off of his forum in accordance with her written instructions. And whatever other faults Daryl has, he is a man of his word. If he receives different written instructions, I am sure he will bring it to his forum. (And don't think this is a backhanded slap at Calvin, either. Calvin made no such committment, so he was free to adhere to the request as long as he thought best, and to make a different judgement call when he thought best.)

IMO, it does no one any good to make hindsight comments on what Alyssa should have done back in the year 2000. It is quite obvious that she was not strong enough at that point to even confide fully in enuogh people to form a support base from which she *might* have been able to press charges. And with her limited financial resources, what would have been the chances of her winning such a case had she done so? With the battalion of lawyers that Danny's supporters could have mustered? Absolutely worse that zero! Certainly had she done so there, she would have merely "taken a beating" and the "perp" would have remained strong.

The Lord's timing is best. Let us concentrate on becoming part of Alyssa's support group rather than adding our criticism to the burden she already has to carry.

And beyond becoming "just" a "support group", I think it would be helpful for us to do some analysis of the factors which cause the sense of powerlessness to resist which all those who grow up in a home where a family member .... especially a father or father figure.... moves beyond appropriate bounds in showing physical "affection". Where are our counselors who are dealing with this almost every day in their work? Can we hear from some of them in this area?
It is hardly conceivable that the allegations that cover the 2000 time period were the first that could have been made. Alyssa is still growing in her capacity to handle the past.... and perhaps even now she does not fully recognize or understand the steps that were taken before that fateful summer that she identifies. Let's keep in mind that we are not judges. Nor are we her counselors. But given those caveates, it is still important for us to learn the dynamics that lead up to situations like this ... not merely to help Alyssa recognize them..... doubtless her counselors are doing that. But for the benefit of mothers who need help in recognizing the signs that their girls are at risk.... and for other women who are still struggling with memories and shame.... discussing the dynamics of these homes can, I think, be of real benefit.

I understand. My comment regarding her age, was specific to the events she described in her statement.

Yes, there may be more.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Chez
post Oct 5 2006, 10:04 AM
Post #84

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,417

QUOTE(watchbird @ Oct 5 2006, 08:58 AM) [snapback]155421[/snapback]

I had often wondered about Alyssa. How was it for her living in the house with Danny? Now, we know. The place where she should have felt safe was far from safe. She couldn't tell anybody about what Danny was doing to her, not even her mother. I applaud her bravery in sharing this information (even if it should have been restricted to a small group of people). We must pray for her continued healing and for Linda and Nathan.

+Quote Post
inga
post Oct 5 2006, 10:36 AM
Post #85

500 + posts
Group Icon

Member No.: 577

QUOTE(Clay @ Oct 4 2006, 08:41 AM) [snapback]155164[/snapback]

she does not need to meet with 3ABN.... she alleges inappropriate behavior, file criminal charges and let the chips fall where they may.....

Yes!!!!!!

If Alyssa were the only one to have experienced inappropriate advances by Danny, it would be more difficult. But if she can secure the cooperation of others, there is some reason to expect success in a lawsuit.

It is true that "brethren" are not to go to law against each other. However, the biblical precedent is clear that, if all the allegations are true, Danny should long ago have been disfellowshipped for his sexual misconduct and would therefore no longer be a "brother in the church."

QUOTE(simplysaved @ Oct 4 2006, 09:02 AM) [snapback]155177[/snapback]

I agree 100%....no "alleged sexual abuse victim" should ever have to face an alleged perpetrator in this context....that would do nothing but re-traumatize the victim....

Indeed!!!

For 3ABN to even request such a "hearing" is to attempt to intimidate her and thus re-abuse her.

+Quote Post
Ralph
post Oct 5 2006, 11:08 AM
Post #86

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,002

QUOTE(sister @ Oct 4 2006, 08:38 PM) [snapback]155340[/snapback]

Uncle Sam, it sounds like to must have watched the "behind the scenes" program where Shelly Quinn preached on this very subject. In her sermon she accused the mother of using her daughter to make accusations against God's annointed prophet. She said they did not blame the daughter, that is was a scheme of the mother and the daughter was only a pawn in the game. It was clearly intended to give the spin you are now suggesting. Perhaps that is where you got this notion?

This is exactly what Danny Shelton and Walt Thompson want you to believe: everyone is a pathological liar who testifies of the heinous acts that Danny has done against them. The premise they have built their house of cards upon is that we are gullible enough to believe everyone is wrong who opposes Danny and that Danny's word is unquestionable truth. I would say LOL at this point, because it is such a ridiculous concept, but to the victims it really isn't very funny...

Right on, Sister. Now that we have seen the post regarding Linda's daughter, new comers may wish to review the transcript of the sermons by John Lomacang and Shelley Quinn that I mentioned in a previous post. I talked to some people who had watched the program who did not know the background. Even they knew that there was something wrong, but I have a hunch that most of them did not catch on to Shelley's introductory story about John the Baptist.

This post has been edited by Ralph: Oct 5 2006, 12:46 PM

+Quote Post
Uncle Sam
post Oct 5 2006, 11:44 AM
Post #87

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,650

QUOTE(Ralph @ Oct 5 2006, 10:08 AM) [snapback]155477[/snapback]

Right on, Sister. Now that we have seen the post regarding Linda's daughter, new comers may wish to review the transcript of the sermons by John Lomacang and Shelley Quinn that I mentioned in a previous post. I talked to some people who had watched the program who did not know the background. Even they knew that there was something wrong, but I have a hunch that most of them did not catch on to Shelley's introductory story about John the Baptist.

I have read what Shelly and John said on that particular show. I think it was disgusting, but once again we have she said he said. I am sure Danny will deny this...are there others that will come forward?

+Quote Post
watchbird
post Oct 6 2006, 09:38 AM
Post #88

1,000 + posts
Group Icon

QUOTE(västergötland @ Oct 5 2006, 05:05 AM) [snapback]155383[/snapback]

Thanks.... I think I've "got it" this time around.... and I think I am in total agreement.

There is, no doubt, situations in which "bear paws" are the instrument/tool of choice .... but NOT, I think, for either doing facial surgery or healing wounds to the psyche.

So yes, I agree..... we need to be very careful to "watch out" for anything that looks like "bear claws" and not allow ourselves to be unthinkingly drawn into support of that type of "help".

This post has been edited by watchbird: Oct 6 2006, 09:40 AM

+Quote Post
icedragon
post Oct 8 2006, 02:55 PM
Post #89

Advanced Member

Member No.: 918

QUOTE(source @ Oct 3 2006, 11:03 PM) [snapback]155131[/snapback]

July 7, 2006
This is a formal statement which is long overdue. I did not disclose this information when the events occurred because I did not want to hurt my mother. I did not want to cause trouble with 3 ABN, and I was too embarrassed to talk about it. Now that some time has passed and circumstances have changed I feel the need to share this information. I want to spare others from being exposed to the same treatment that I have experienced.

1) The repeated inappropriate actions from my ex-stepfather, Danny Shelton, occurred in the summer of the year 2000.

2) I had been away at school for some years. I was happy to be returning home to attend a local University.

3) My mother always went to bed rather early. Her bedroom was upstairs and my bedroom was downstairs. Danny started coming into my room getting into my bed and rubbing my back. He seemed to “accidentally” get too low. I told him I did not want a back rub. He ignored me. This happened repeatedly.

4) I began locking my bedroom door every night. Sometimes he would come to the door and knock again and again. I did not answer. He then repeatedly unlocked my bedroom door and
came into my room. He would then get into my bed. I was not comfortable with this but I was so tired I still fell asleep. I awoke sometimes with his hands in inappropriate places. He would say “Oh, I’m sorry. I thought it was your Mom.” He told me not to tell my Mom. I told him to stay out of my room. He still came. I started sleep on the living room couch so that he could not lie beside me.

5) I felt threatened and very uncomfortable with these things, so I made arrangements to move out.

Signed,

Is this real??

+Quote Post
Daryl Fawcett
post Oct 8 2006, 03:02 PM
Post #90

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,851

Yes, it is real, as I have a signed copy, however, I received it on condition that I wouldn't post it on any forum, which I honoured and never did, and until given permission to do so, will not post it over at MSDAOL, or allow it to be posted there by anybody else.

I am still disappointed it has been posted here.

--------------------
In His Love, Mercy, and Grace!

Daryl Fawcett
Administrator
Maritime SDA OnLine
http://www.maritime-sda-online.com

+Quote Post

11 Pages V  « < 4 5 6 7 8 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd March 2008 - 01:56 PM
Design by: Download IPB Skins & eBusiness
BlackSDA has no official affiliation or endorsement from the Seventh-day Adventist church