Archive of http://www.blacksda.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=12410&st=135 preserved for the defense in 3ABN and Danny Shelton v. Joy and Pickle.
Links altered to maintain their integrity and aid in navigation, but content otherwise unchanged.
Saved at 01:36:53 PM on March 27, 2008.
IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

19 Pages V  « < 8 9 10 11 12 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Proofs, Or Lack Thereof, A concern of causing false assumptions
Pickle
post May 20 2007, 11:23 PM
Post #136

1,000 + posts
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,960

Hi Mozart.

My comments were more regarding the general topic rather than the specifics you referred to.

Is the church that appears to be about to fall a body of true believers, or is it an organization? I'll break your question into two parts.

First of all, we cannot limit the church to only true believers because then there is no place for church organization. Only God can read the heart, and thus only God can tell who is a true believer and who isn't. Because of our inability to read the heart, there is no guarantee that every member and every officer is a true believer, and thus there can be no church organization if we have to limit membership and offices to only true believers.

Secondly, you appropriately used the word "body," for Paul uses that word too. The human body is extremely organized. Thus the very word "body" in reference to the church mandates that that term refer to an organization of parts that are as closely associated and as intricately connected as the parts of the human body.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
mozart
post May 20 2007, 11:28 PM
Post #137

Advanced Member

Member No.: 3,207

thanks mr. p. i'll have to digest that for a bit. smile.gif
QUOTE(Pickle @ May 20 2007, 10:23 PM) [snapback]196158[/snapback]

Hi Mozart.

My comments were more regarding the general topic rather than the specifics you referred to.

Is the church that appears to be about to fall a body of true believers, or is it an organization? I'll break your question into two parts.

First of all, we cannot limit the church to only true believers because then there is no place for church organization. Only God can read the heart, and thus only God can tell who is a true believer and who isn't. Because of our inability to read the heart, there is no guarantee that every member and every officer is a true believer, and thus there can be no church organization if we have to limit membership and offices to only true believers.

Secondly, you appropriately used the word "body," for Paul uses that word too. The human body is extremely organized. Thus the very word "body" in reference to the church mandates that that term refer to an organization of parts that are as closely associated and as intricately connected as the parts of the human body.

--------------------
Thess. 2:16-17 - Now may our Lord Jesus Christ Himself, and our God and Father, who has loved us and given us everlasting consolation and good hope by grace, comfort your hearts and establish you in every good word and work."

[quote: fine art]

"
Instead we seem to be using sensationalism, emotionalism, moving lights and motivational speakers that are prepared to manipulate, by well chosen words, the minds of the listeners.
It used to be, messages that were given by our pioneers were wrenched from the depths of the heart by the Holy Spirit.
Humor was not added to get that laugh of entertainment. Drama was not introduced behind the sacred desk to glue your attention.

Man's Rationale has replaced a cry for God's wisdom."

"How To Be Free From Bitterness" ( booklet written by Jim Wilson of Community Christian Ministries, Moscow, Idaho - E-mail: ccm@moscow.com )

+Quote Post
Voktar of Zargon
post May 21 2007, 08:02 AM
Post #138

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,188

The natural human response to encountering sin and corruption on a localized level is to globalize it. In our families when one spouse says or does something wrong the injured spouse says something like, "you always do that." or "You never do this." The fact is that this is not allways true. The same is true with the church, which is referred to as the 'household' of God. The main reason that people go out the back door and leave the church is because they globalize sin and try to throw the wheat out with the tares. Some even go so far as to throw Jesus out with the dirty church bath water. They forget that the church is a hospital for sinners. They forget that church administrators are sinners too. Of course their sins are often believed to be unforgiveable (of course they do have greater responsibility).
The temptation with the 3ABN problem (as bad as it is) is to globalize and view the entire church leadership as corrupt. This is really nothing more than a prejudicial/bigoted response. Most church members on the local level don't know any administrators personally. Yet they are willing to lump them all together into one corrupt nepotistic group. Have they personal knowledge of any specific sin? Or, have they just blindly accepted third or fourth hand gossip without having confirmed the facts. Have they lodged a grievance or protest with the proper or specific authorities? Not usually. Instead prejudiced gossip prevails. Even to the extent of taking Biblical texts that have always been applied by Adventists to the Great Roman Apostasy and now applying them to the Adventist church. Can anyone who understands how fully anti-christian that Biblical apostasy is, apply it to Adventism?
We live in a time when all organization is suspect. We often forget that one of the reasons organization is developed is to minimize and prevent corruption! That of course was a major intent with the development of our current system of democratic American government. Does corruption exist? Definitely! Would we want to discard our government? No! As imperfect as it is, its the best we have to work with. Anything else would produce even more corruption, chaos, or anarchy.
Likewise our system of church polity is one of the best in Christendom - helping to minimize and prevent corruption on the corporate level - while also helping to facilitate the spread of the gospel on the wordwide level in an organized way, rather than an independent/haphazard/disorganized fashion.
“Although there are evils existing in the church, and will be until the end of the world, the church in these last days is to be the light of the world that is polluted and demoralized by sin.. The church, enfeebled and defective, needing to be reproved, warned, and counselled, is the only object upon earth upon which Christ bestows His supreme regard. “– RH Sept. 5, 1893
“I know that the Lord loves His church. It is not to be disorganized or broken up into independent atoms. There is not the least consistency in this; there is not the least evidence that such a thing will be. Those who shall heed this false message and try to leaven others will be deceived and prepared to receive advanced delusions, and they will come to nought.”{Mar 203.2}

+Quote Post
LaurenceD
post May 21 2007, 09:03 AM
Post #139

500 + posts
Group Icon

Member No.: 3,035

Voktar, as always...thanks for your comments. Would you be willing to offer an explanation on why certain groups feel compelled to become "independent ministries" or "self-supporting?"

--------------------
Disclaimer Notice: You are hereby cautioned that the information contained within these posts are for the sole purpose of provoking thought, adding fair comment on matters of public interest, and not providing factual information. These posts do not reflect the actual thoughts or intentions of the person writing under this username since said person is not in any position to know. No effort has been made to ensure the accuracy of any personal view, opinion, or hyperbole presented. Therefore, by disclosing, copying, or distributing these posts to others, such information must subsequently be confirmed in writing, signed and dated, by the actual person, or persons, posting behind username LaurenceD.

+Quote Post
Shepherdswife
post May 21 2007, 10:21 AM
Post #140

Advanced Member

Member No.: 3,439

QUOTE(Voktar of Zargon @ May 21 2007, 10:02 AM) [snapback]196185[/snapback]

The natural human response to encountering sin and corruption on a localized level is to globalize it.
The temptation with the 3ABN problem (as bad as it is) is to globalize and view the entire church leadership as corrupt. This is really nothing more than a prejudicial/bigoted response. Most church members on the local level don't know any administrators personally. Yet they are willing to lump them all together into one corrupt nepotistic group.

Thanks so much for that human nature/big-picture view... I had been pondering how to respond to it myself.

I have the privilege of being good friends with all of the leadership in our local conference office and their wives as well and find them to be anything but corrupt.

I understand the frustration with the seeming lack of official response on the part of the church to the allegations. I wonder about it myself. However, in my experience here locally, when legal issues are involved, leadership moves v-e-r-y cautiously and only when all the "i"s are dotted and "t"s are crossed, for obvious reasons. They get the job done, just not hastily. Which in the long run is best, I suppose :-)

shepherdswife

+Quote Post
mozart
post May 21 2007, 10:31 AM
Post #141

Advanced Member

Member No.: 3,207

Thank you Voktar of Zargon and Shepherdswife for some food I've been seeking. That gives me even more to digest. thankyou.gif

QUOTE(Shepherdswife @ May 21 2007, 10:21 AM) [snapback]196200[/snapback]

Thanks so much for that human nature/big-picture view... I had been pondering how to respond to it myself.

I have the privilege of being good friends with all of the leadership in our local conference office and their wives as well and find them to be anything but corrupt.

I understand the frustration with the seeming lack of official response on the part of the church to the allegations. I wonder about it myself. However, in my experience here locally, when legal issues are involved, leadership moves v-e-r-y cautiously and only when all the "i"s are dotted and "t"s are crossed, for obvious reasons. They get the job done, just not hastily. Which in the long run is best, I suppose :-)

shepherdswife

--------------------
Thess. 2:16-17 - Now may our Lord Jesus Christ Himself, and our God and Father, who has loved us and given us everlasting consolation and good hope by grace, comfort your hearts and establish you in every good word and work."

[quote: fine art]

"
Instead we seem to be using sensationalism, emotionalism, moving lights and motivational speakers that are prepared to manipulate, by well chosen words, the minds of the listeners.
It used to be, messages that were given by our pioneers were wrenched from the depths of the heart by the Holy Spirit.
Humor was not added to get that laugh of entertainment. Drama was not introduced behind the sacred desk to glue your attention.

Man's Rationale has replaced a cry for God's wisdom."

"How To Be Free From Bitterness" ( booklet written by Jim Wilson of Community Christian Ministries, Moscow, Idaho - E-mail: ccm@moscow.com )

+Quote Post
LadyTenor
post May 21 2007, 11:08 AM
Post #142

1,000 + posts
Group Icon

Group: Charter Member
Member No.: 51

QUOTE(Green Cochoa @ Feb 11 2007, 07:40 AM) [snapback]177292[/snapback]

Clay? roflmao.gif Is this... rofl1.gif ...tiresome? spoton.gif

Naw...it's just girlpower.gif cheer.gif right? roflmao.gif (You know, every woman has the right to change her mind...)

LadyTenor, please accept my apologies for laughing, it's just....ouch! tomato.gif Hey! sofa1.gif

You said it quite perfectly...I can change my mind as much as you can laugh. Truthfully, I don't come here often...unless one of my BSDA buddies asks me a legal question and then I have to read a whole bunch of posts to ensure I don't put my foot in my mouth when I respond. Otherwise, this is one of my least read forums....plenty of other more important things on BSDA to get involved in...like the arcade... yes.gif

--------------------
Visit my blog--"Musings of a Black Scrapbooker"
Talia's MySpace Page

He who has My commandments and keeps them, he it is who loves Me. And he who loves Me shall be loved by My Father, and I will love him and will reveal Myself to him."
--John 14:21

Any comments on blacksda.com made by Talia A. Dickson, J.D. with respect to the law are purely academic in nature and should NOT be construed as legal advice. Mrs. Dickson is not yet authorized to practice law in any jurisdiction. Should you need legal advice for a specific issue, you are encouraged to seek out the advice of an attorney of your own choosing.

+Quote Post
FineArt
post May 21 2007, 12:19 PM
Post #143

Advanced Member

Member No.: 3,517

Hi,

I am going to add this for whatever it is worth pertaining to the "church"/"falling away"

2Th 2:3
"Let no man deceive you by any means: for that day shall not come, except there come a falling away first, and that man of sin be revealed, the son of perdition;"

The Great Controversy--- A Great Religious Awakening-----PG- 356

"The apostle Paul warned the church not to look for the coming of Christ in his day. "That day shall not come," he says, "except there come a falling away first, and that man of sin be revealed." 2 Thessalonians 2:3. Not till after the great apostasy, and the long period of the reign of the "man of
sin," can we look for the advent of our Lord. The "man of sin," which is also styled "the mystery of iniquity," "the son of perdition," and "that wicked," represents the papacy, which, as foretold in prophecy, was to maintain its supremacy for 1260 years. This period ended in 1798. The coming of
Christ could not take place before that time. Paul covers with his caution the whole of the Christian dispensation down to the year 1798. It is this side of that time that the message of Christ's second coming is to be proclaimed."

This is History.....what we are going to experience is the sifting and shaking.

the church is not Babylon, but there is Babylon in the church. The Church is not in apostacy but there is apostacy in the church. Jesus comes back for a pure people and the above is the refining fire. There will come a time in the near future, where the laws will be in place that will cause God's people to flee for their lives......there is no organised church in that day, the victorious saints will be dwelling in caves, " etc...etc.

an added thought:

Even in the Adventist Church

"We have far more to fear from within than from without. The hindrances to strength and success are far greater from the church itself than from the world. Unbelievers have a right to expect that those who profess to be keeping the commandments of God and the faith of Jesus, will do more than any other class to promote and honor, by their consistent lives, by their godly example and their active influence, the cause which they represent. But how often have the professed advocates of the truth proved the greatest obstacle to its advancement! The unbelief indulged, the doubts expressed, the darkness cherished, encourage the presence of evil angels, and open the way for the accomplishment of Satan's devices."--1SM 122 (1887).

Praise God from whom all blessings fall smile.gif

--------------------

God's blessings to you all

"Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God, and keep His Commandments for this is the whole duty of man. For God shall bring every work into judgement, with every secret thing, whether it be good or whether it be evil" Ecc. 12: 13,14

+Quote Post
Skyhook
post May 21 2007, 12:59 PM
Post #144

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,121

QUOTE(FineArt @ May 21 2007, 01:19 PM) [snapback]196226[/snapback]

Even in the Adventist Church

"We have far more to fear from within than from without. The hindrances to strength and success are far greater from the church itself than from the world. Unbelievers have a right to expect that those who profess to be keeping the commandments of God and the faith of Jesus, will do more than any other class to promote and honor, by their consistent lives, by their godly example and their active influence, the cause which they represent. But how often have the professed advocates of the truth proved the greatest obstacle to its advancement! The unbelief indulged, the doubts expressed, the darkness cherished, encourage the presence of evil angels, and open the way for the accomplishment of Satan's devices."--1SM 122 (1887).

Praise God from whom all blessings fall smile.gif

Thanks for your comments FineArt. It is true that there will come a time when the church will not be able to function as an organization. When access to the financial system is denied to us by law, the church cannot pay salaries, cannot pay bills and will not be able to carry out its mission as an organization. As I understand it that will be just before or after the close of probation when the work of the organized church is finished.

It is clear that in EGW's statements about the church not falling, she is talking about the organized church, not some mystical unorganized body of true believers, some in and some out of the organized church, as some believe.

I have heard it said by one influential minister that in decades past we expected Satan to attack the church like a herd of elephants, but he came in like a herd of termites, and like termites, by the time we became fully aware of it the pillars and foundation of the church were already under attack.

This post has been edited by Skyhook: May 21 2007, 01:01 PM

+Quote Post
SoulEspresso
post May 21 2007, 02:44 PM
Post #145

500 + posts
Group Icon

Member No.: 2,262

Voktar--congratulations on your note posted to save3abn.com!! notworthy.gif

QUOTE(Voktar of Zargon @ May 21 2007, 07:02 AM) [snapback]196185[/snapback]

The temptation with the 3ABN problem (as bad as it is) is to globalize and view the entire church leadership as corrupt. This is really nothing more than a prejudicial/bigoted response. Most church members on the local level don't know any administrators personally. Yet they are willing to lump them all together into one corrupt nepotistic group. Have they personal knowledge of any specific sin? Or, have they just blindly accepted third or fourth hand gossip without having confirmed the facts. Have they lodged a grievance or protest with the proper or specific authorities? Not usually.

A lot of times people believe the organization to be corrupt when in fact the people involved are inept or apathetic, or because they believe the ends justify the means.

450 people in my area witnessed the latter when our union president tried to manipulate the constituency in session to re-elect the conference president. Is the union guy a bad man? No, but like is true of myself most of the time, he visibly was not trusting the Lord enough. He tried to end discussion and deny people the voice they'd gathered for; he manipulated the data; and he tried to make it look like he wasn't offering recommendations to the group when everyone could see that the way he said it was exactly that. In the end our local president was re-elected by just a few votes. The margin was so narrow the word on the street is already that they're looking for a job for him.

I like both guys, but the union chair obviously didn't trust the church members to do what was right for the conference.

Likewise our system of church polity is one of the best in Christendom - helping to minimize and prevent corruption on the corporate level - while also helping to facilitate the spread of the gospel on the wordwide level in an organized way, rather than an independent/haphazard/disorganized fashion.

There are many positives to our church organization in terms of unity and getting "the work" done--not to mention the benefits to employees.

At the same time, it's even more, um, beastly than the RC church. The only religious structure that is more organized is the LDS (Mormon) church. I don't think this is a positive; it disempowers the local church by sending money up and down the ladder (AU profs will tell you that most of the money is spent on the local level--not acknowledging that it comes with excessive control); and the documents that govern the organization are so arcane and difficult that people who aren't familiar with them are able to make very little sense of them.

When it comes to electing the GC, for example, we have a "Committee to Select the President." College of Cardinals, anyone?

The reason that we have to be so organized and insular (the trademark on "Seventh-day Adventist" is an example; the fact that conferences and not congregations usually own the sanctuary buildings is another) is that 90% of the time (rhetorical emphasis, okay?) we make Adventists by appealing to spiritual pride. "Be better than your other Christian neighbors--keep the seventh day! Don't be deceived like everyone else--look here and see that the dead are asleep until the resurrection!" The kind of mindset this creates, turns out to keep going. People want to be the remnant of the remnant of the remnant--and you get Reformed Adventists, etc, who start calling the Adventist church Babylon.

(By the way, other religious groups mentioned in this post are there for illustrative purposes only. The author of this post by no means intends to impugn the spiritual commitment of adherents or such groups. We can disagree theologically without drinking haterade.)

QUOTE(Skyhook @ May 21 2007, 11:59 AM) [snapback]196231[/snapback]

It is clear that in EGW's statements about the church not falling, she is talking about the organized church, not some mystical unorganized body of true believers, some in and some out of the organized church, as some believe.

Be that as it may ... here are a couple of questions. uhm.gif

Are all the people who are going to be saved members of the Adventist church?
Are all the members of the Adventist church going to be saved?
Who, then, makes up the "true church"?

The EGW statements posted on this thread have been wonderful and I have appreciated them.

surprise.gif But EGW was capable of being wrong, you know.

sofa1.gif

This post has been edited by SoulEspresso: May 21 2007, 02:46 PM

--------------------
"The entire world is falling apart because no one will admit they are wrong."
--
Don Miller, Blue Like Jazz.

+Quote Post
Noahswife
post May 21 2007, 03:42 PM
Post #146

500 + posts
Group Icon

Member No.: 2,683

Has anyone else noticed what I believe is a most interesting phenomena that occurs when the Danny scribes/fingers/clones are essentially mute?

We have two things occurring at the same time in my opinion. The first is that discussion on old and new topics regarding 3abn (notice not just LS and associated issues) move forward with fascinating input often from newbies in addition to the old guard. The second is that our conversations often revolve around the SDA church and what it means to not only the membership in good standing but the rest of the world.

My kudos to the newbies who speak with fresh and inspired voices lately.

Also, the next time we have DS supporters in our midst, lets just put every darn one of them on ignore and carry on without their distractions and subversions.......

This post has been edited by Noahswife: May 21 2007, 07:54 PM

--------------------
“I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.” C.S. Lewis

"To love means loving the unlovable. To forgive means pardoning the unpardonable. Faith means believing the unbelievable. Hope means hoping when everything seems hopeless." G. K. Chesterton

+Quote Post
Skyhook
post May 21 2007, 05:34 PM
Post #147

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,121

QUOTE(SoulEspresso @ May 21 2007, 03:44 PM) [snapback]196240[/snapback]

Be that as it may ... here are a couple of questions. uhm.gif

Are all the people who are going to be saved members of the Adventist church?

>No.
Are all the members of the Adventist church going to be saved?
>No.
Who, then, makes up the "true church"?
>If you mean who is going to be saved, That is God's department to decide. My statement concerned what EGW was talking about. It seems very clear that she was writing about the visible, concrete existing organized church.

The EGW statements posted on this thread have been wonderful and I have appreciated them.

surprise.gif But EGW was capable of being wrong, you know.

>I don't know about you SE, but that is the kind of statement made by those who apply a "higher critical" approach to her writings. In other words, that attitude is that we must decide for ourselves if this or that statement was really inspired. We become the judge of inspiration. The same approach is often used with the Bible itself. It is very appealing for a person who doesn't like some of the thing she said. I don't personally subscribe to that approach.

I believe that there is a different thread that has been dealing with the inspiration of Ellen White.
sofa1.gif

+Quote Post
Pickle
post May 21 2007, 07:21 PM
Post #148

1,000 + posts
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,960

QUOTE(Skyhook @ May 21 2007, 12:59 PM) [snapback]196231[/snapback]

It is true that there will come a time when the church will not be able to function as an organization. When access to the financial system is denied to us by law, the church cannot pay salaries, cannot pay bills and will not be able to carry out its mission as an organization. As I understand it that will be just before or after the close of probation when the work of the organized church is finished.

I hesitate to say one way or the other on this one. For example, have there been times in the history of the world when there has been church organization even though no one was paying salaries? In the USSR? In China? Throughout Europe during the escapades of the Waldensians and kindred groups?

At what point prior to the second coming will there no need for any sort of leadership to encourage and pray with the believers?

Perhaps we just need to wait and see.

+Quote Post
FineArt
post May 21 2007, 07:24 PM
Post #149

Advanced Member

Member No.: 3,517

I have found that when i think i am reading something from the Bible or SOP that might be confusing ....further study [topical study/comparing SOP with the Bible] always reveals MY understanding is flawed, not the Inspired Word.

--------------------

God's blessings to you all

"Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God, and keep His Commandments for this is the whole duty of man. For God shall bring every work into judgement, with every secret thing, whether it be good or whether it be evil" Ecc. 12: 13,14

+Quote Post
Rosyroi
post May 21 2007, 07:33 PM
Post #150

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,536

QUOTE(Noahswife @ May 21 2007, 01:42 PM) [snapback]196254[/snapback]

Has anyone else noticed what I believe is a most interesting phenomena that occurs when the Danny scribes/fingers/clones are essentially mute?

We have two things occurring at the same time in my opinion. The first is that discussion on old and new topics regarding 3abn (notice not just LS and associated issues) move forward with fascinating input often from newbies in addition to the old guard. The second is that our conversations often revolve around the SDA church and what it means to not only the membership in good standing but the rest of the world.

My kudos to the newbies who speak with fresh and inspired voices lately.

Also, the next time we have DS supporters in our midst, let just put every darn one of them on ignore and carry on without their distractions and subversions.......

NW... I was thinking the same thing. Thank you very much for voicing my thoughts so elequently.

Rosyroi

--------------------

"Joy, Love, Peace, Long Suffering, Gentleness, Goodness, Faith, Meekness, and Self Control are what being full of the Holy Spirit is all about." Galations 5.

"Don't waste your time waiting and longing for large opportunities which may never come, but faitfully handle the little things that are always claiming your attention..." F.B. Meyers

"Truth welcomes examination and doesn't need to defend itself, while deception hides in darkness and blames everyone else." Aunt B. 2007

"For GOD so LOVED you and me..." John 3:16

"I believe that there is a devil, and here's Satan's agenda. First, he doesn't want anyone having kids. Secondly, if they do conceive, he wants them killed.
If they're not killed through abortion, he wants them neglected or abused physically, emotionally, sexually...One way or another, the legions of hell want to destroy children because children become the future adults and leaders. If they (legions) can warp or wound a child, he or she becomes a warped or wounded adult who passes on this affliction to the next generation". -Terry Randall in TIME Magazine, October 21, 1991

+Quote Post

19 Pages V  « < 8 9 10 11 12 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th March 2008 - 12:36 PM
Design by: Download IPB Skins & eBusiness
BlackSDA has no official affiliation or endorsement from the Seventh-day Adventist church