Archive of http://www.blacksda.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=13833&st=135 preserved for the defense in 3ABN and Danny Shelton v. Joy and Pickle.
Links altered to maintain their integrity and aid in navigation, but content otherwise unchanged.
Saved at 01:31:09 PM on March 27, 2008.
IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

15 Pages V  « < 8 9 10 11 12 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 3abn Confirms Real Estate Transaction, & Hints of Piano Sale Besides
Skyhook
post Jun 25 2007, 01:07 AM
Post #136

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,121

Steven Lewis has a reputation for leaving big problems in the wake of his evangelistic series. I know of one instance where he stirred up a lot of antagonism against the conference to where the local church voted themselves out of the conference, and chose to retain thier pastor after the conference fired him. The last I heard they were trying to connect with another conference and the pastor was retaining the tithe. They spent way over budget and refused to give an accounting for the money the conference provided for the series. Lewis claimed a large number of baptisms, but according to the conference most of them were already church members whom Lewis had convinced they needed to be rebaptized into veganism. I know one young man who assisted in that debacle and I know he was at least at the time, a full fledged vegan fanatic. This was some years ago. I looked at Lewis' website once and saw that he had given himself the title of Bishop.

This post has been edited by Skyhook: Jun 25 2007, 01:08 AM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Ozzie
post Jun 25 2007, 03:24 AM
Post #137

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,395

QUOTE(Richard Sherwin @ Jun 25 2007, 01:19 PM) [snapback]201271[/snapback]

Maybe it's his first name smile.gif I knew a family whose last name was Bishop so why not a first name.

The name related to a 'title' on the video I had given to me, by an absolute fanatic. Apparently, this guy was a 'Bishop'in another church, before converting to SDA but somehow, he still retained his 'title'. Incidently, the person who left the video with us, expected to be addressed as "Pastor" and he's no more a Pastor than I am! The things people will do to put themselves in the spotlight! crazy.gif

--------------------
"It's important that people know what you stand for. It's equally important that they know what you won't stand for."
~ Mary Waldrop.

+Quote Post
Fran
post Jun 25 2007, 03:27 AM
Post #138

500 + posts
Group Icon

Group: Financial Donor
Member No.: 529

QUOTE(Shepherdswife @ Jun 24 2007, 11:40 PM) [snapback]201273[/snapback]

Maybe he didn't get any motor homes donated so decided to use horses instead? tongue.gif

Well, I hope he doesnt get discouraged! I asked Danny for an RV, too, but never got one! dunno.gif I got nothing! no.gif At least Steve got 2 horses, or did he? dunno.gif

Do we know who made out that $20,000/$40,000 cash receipt?

I wonder if the "Bishop" would tell us if he has the horses, or if they have been turned into glue yet?

Maybe the whole deal fell through?

There was a whole lot of deceiving going on! Did Danny try to set Linda up for a fall? I sure hope not, but the thought certainly has entered my mind.

--------------------
The greatest want of the world is the want of men-- men who will not be bought or sold, men who in their inmost souls are true and honest, men who do not fear to call sin by its right name, men whose conscience is as true to duty as the needle to the pole, men who will stand for the right though the heavens fall. {Ed 57.3}
But such a character is not the result of accident; it is not due to special favors or endowments of Providence. A noble character is the result of self-discipline, of the subjection of the lower to the higher nature--the surrender of self for the service of love to God and man. {Ed 57.4}

+Quote Post
Observer
post Jun 25 2007, 04:19 AM
Post #139

500 + posts
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,664

QUOTE(Ozzie @ Jun 24 2007, 06:24 PM) [snapback]201254[/snapback]

Is this the same 'Bishop' who has put out a video titled "I preached a lie for ... years"? I didn't know that our clergy worked under the title of 'Bishop'! Oh well, one can learn something new every day! unsure.gif

The title "Bishop" is a Biblical one. There is nothing wrong with calling yourself a Bishop.

For years (he is now dead) a SDA pastor chaired a somewhat local television show that featured local clergy. He called himself "Bishop," and was wll-known in SDA circles for doing so.

--------------------
Gregory Matthews posts here under the name "Observer."

+Quote Post
runner4him
post Jun 25 2007, 06:15 AM
Post #140

Advanced Member

Member No.: 3,427

QUOTE(Shepherdswife @ Jun 24 2007, 11:40 PM) [snapback]201273[/snapback]

Maybe he didn't get any motorhomes donated so decided to use horses instead? tongue.gif

Your comment gave me a mental picture......if all else fails then back to the circuit rider preaching days! roflmao.gif

+Quote Post
PeacefulBe
post Jun 25 2007, 08:54 AM
Post #141

1,000 + posts
Group Icon

Member No.: 2,169

QUOTE(Skyhook @ Jun 24 2007, 11:07 PM) [snapback]201290[/snapback]

Steven Lewis has a reputation for leaving big problems in the wake of his evangelistic series. I know of one instance where he stirred up a lot of antagonism against the conference to where the local church voted themselves out of the conference, and chose to retain thier pastor after the conference fired him. The last I heard they were trying to connect with another conference and the pastor was retaining the tithe. They spent way over budget and refused to give an accounting for the money the conference provided for the series. Lewis claimed a large number of baptisms, but according to the conference most of them were already church members whom Lewis had convinced they needed to be rebaptized into veganism. I know one young man who assisted in that debacle and I know he was at least at the time, a full fledged vegan fanatic. This was some years ago. I looked at Lewis' website once and saw that he had given himself the title of Bishop.

Wow!

I love being a vegan (prefer to call it plant-based) but had no idea I was supposed to worship the dietary choice as well. Must have missed that memo from our Creator. I don't know... if my CHIP director started encouraging rebaptism into the Church of Nuts, Grains and Vegies, I think it would raise a red flag for me. But that's just me. (BTW, I wear pants to church as well but am really hoping not to get disfellowshipped because of it.)

The Vegan Fanatic's Prayer

Dear Lord,

Just wanted to let you know that I just don't have a spare minute to visit with you today. The alter I have erected to the cornucopia of marvelous foods you have created is so full that it will take most of my time paying appropriate homage to them, not to mention the additional time needed to prepare them properly for consumption.

Will try to schedule some time in for you later this week or next Tuesday before my trip to the organic farmer's market.

--------------------
Got Peace?

John 14:27 Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid.

"Truth welcomes examination and doesn't need to defend itself, while deception hides in darkness and blames everyone else." Aunt B, 2007

+Quote Post
Skyhook
post Jun 25 2007, 09:20 AM
Post #142

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,121

PB, I like that "prayer." Unfortunately there are quite a number of people who seem to make thier diet thier religion. Another young man I know who was known to have a lot of health information was asked to give a health talk one Sabbath afternoon to a group of Pacific Islanders. Pacific Islanders, are big meat eaters. This young man, instead of educating them managed to offend all of them them by telling them either explicitly or implicitly that they wre all going to hell if they didn't stop eating meat.

I prefer a plant based diet, but if I'm served something that has dairy products in it I don't treat it as if it is poisen and have been known on rare occasion to indulge in a little Lamb curry that a Fijiian friend prepares. Hmm, I getting hungry for some of that curry. Oh well, I guess I'll settle for more generic bland, tasteless, Adventist casserole at potluck. Someday I'll find out whats in that stuff.

+Quote Post
PeacefulBe
post Jun 25 2007, 10:03 AM
Post #143

1,000 + posts
Group Icon

Skyhook,

It's one thing to make diet one's religion but I maintain that it is also just as worriesome to make diet a CHORE by serving bland and tasteless casseroles. That is just sad. I certainly would not feel right serving my husband food that left a question mark in his mouth.

Physically, I do so much better not eating carcasses or dairy products, but wish I could have been at that misdirected young man's lectures. Had I been there, I would have stood up and sweetly hollered (for I try to be a sweet, kind and gentle person) "Bula Bula! Please pass me some of that delicious lamb curry!"

--------------------
Got Peace?

John 14:27 Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid.

"Truth welcomes examination and doesn't need to defend itself, while deception hides in darkness and blames everyone else." Aunt B, 2007

+Quote Post
Rosyroi
post Jun 25 2007, 06:11 PM
Post #144

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,536

QUOTE(PeacefullyBewildered @ Jun 25 2007, 08:03 AM) [snapback]201355[/snapback]

Skyhook,

It's one thing to make diet one's religion but I maintain that it is also just as worriesome to make diet a CHORE by serving bland and tasteless casseroles. That is just sad. I certainly would not feel right serving my husband food that left a question mark in his mouth.

Physically, I do so much better not eating carcasses or dairy products, but wish I could have been at that misdirected young man's lectures. Had I been there, I would have stood up and sweetly hollered (for I try to be a sweet, kind and gentle person) "Bula Bula! Please pass me some of that delicious lamb curry!"

roflmao.gif happydance.gif rofl1.gif

OH... the visual... roflmao.gif

Thanks PB! I needed that.

Rosyroi

--------------------

"Joy, Love, Peace, Long Suffering, Gentleness, Goodness, Faith, Meekness, and Self Control are what being full of the Holy Spirit is all about." Galations 5.

"Don't waste your time waiting and longing for large opportunities which may never come, but faitfully handle the little things that are always claiming your attention..." F.B. Meyers

"Truth welcomes examination and doesn't need to defend itself, while deception hides in darkness and blames everyone else." Aunt B. 2007

"For GOD so LOVED you and me..." John 3:16

"I believe that there is a devil, and here's Satan's agenda. First, he doesn't want anyone having kids. Secondly, if they do conceive, he wants them killed.
If they're not killed through abortion, he wants them neglected or abused physically, emotionally, sexually...One way or another, the legions of hell want to destroy children because children become the future adults and leaders. If they (legions) can warp or wound a child, he or she becomes a warped or wounded adult who passes on this affliction to the next generation". -Terry Randall in TIME Magazine, October 21, 1991

+Quote Post
roxe
post Jun 26 2007, 04:11 PM
Post #145

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,485

QUOTE(PeacefullyBewildered @ Jun 25 2007, 10:03 AM) [snapback]201355[/snapback]

.... serving bland and tasteless casseroles.

i got a clue this last sabbath as to a possible reason for "bland and tasteless"...
our church was on its annual weekend campout with another sda church in the area, and there was lots of "bland and tasteless" at the potluck. the folk i rode with out to the woods for the day explained that most everyone from the other church were not vegetarian...
so not being familiar with veggie cooking during the week really shows up when these recipes are "tried" for sabbath only.

jmo

This post has been edited by roxe: Jun 26 2007, 04:33 PM

+Quote Post
Richard Sherwin
post Jun 26 2007, 04:46 PM
Post #146

1,000 + posts
Group Icon

Member No.: 2,231

These bland cooks need to be introduced to the one thing that will make their food anything but bland, yes I'm talking about Tabasco Sauce. The cure all for....what's that you say? Mrs. White said what about spices? It does what? Well......

Richard "hot sauce lovin" Sherwin

+Quote Post
PeacefulBe
post Jun 26 2007, 05:47 PM
Post #147

1,000 + posts
Group Icon

QUOTE(Richard Sherwin @ Jun 26 2007, 02:46 PM) [snapback]201611[/snapback]

These bland cooks need to be introduced to the one thing that will make their food anything but bland, yes I'm talking about Tabasco Sauce. The cure all for....what's that you say? Mrs. White said what about spices? It does what? Well......

Richard "hot sauce lovin" Sherwin

Some of us feel that hot sauce is healthy on sooo many levels! Yum.

--------------------
Got Peace?

+Quote Post
watchbird
post Jun 26 2007, 07:59 PM
Post #148

1,000 + posts
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,712

QUOTE(PeacefullyBewildered @ Jun 26 2007, 07:47 PM) [snapback]201622[/snapback]

Some of us feel that hot sauce is healthy on sooo many levels! Yum.

Even Ellen spoke favorably of Cayenne.... and frankly, it's the nearest thing to magic that we have in the way of natural meds..... nothing like it for first aid.... both powder and liquid extract.... have it handy at home and never leave home without it! yes.gif

+Quote Post
Johann
post Jun 27 2007, 04:13 AM
Post #149

1,000 + posts
Group Icon

From: Iceland, formerly Denmark, Norway, USA, Sierra Leone, Nigeria, Faeroe Islands. Bound for Heaven.
Member No.: 686

QUOTE(watchbird @ Jun 27 2007, 03:59 AM) [snapback]201631[/snapback]

Even Ellen spoke favorably of Cayenne.... and frankly, it's the nearest thing to magic that we have in the way of natural meds..... nothing like it for first aid.... both powder and liquid extract.... have it handy at home and never leave home without it! yes.gif

Did you mean ginger - of which Ellen speaks quite favorably?

--------------------
"Any fact that needs to be disclosed should be put out now or as quickly as possible, because otherwise the bleeding will not end." (Attributed to Henry Kissinger)

"He who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetrate it" (Martin Luther King)

"The truth can lose nothing by close investigation". (1888 Materials 38)

+Quote Post
daylily
post Jun 27 2007, 05:00 AM
Post #150

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,715

Watchbird would you provide the references where EGW speaks favorably of Cayenne? Thanks!

On the bland and tasteless topic, I don't like hot and spicy food. We have a couple of cooks in our church that make the food so spicy that you can't taste the food itself. I like a rich, hearty flavor but not hot and spicy. there is a difference.

I noticed something once:-) We had a fellow visiting our home with his four children. At mealtime, the two older ones kept salting their plates of food and it was plenty salty already. They would eat a few bites and then sprinkle salt liberally over the whole plateful. (They evidently liked the food, except for the saltiness, because they took several helpings). Later the mother mentioned that her two oldest children really liked hot, spicy food and always added hot sauce to everything. Still later at a potluck, I got a bowl of "plain" pinto beans with cayenne added (I didn't realize it until tasting them). I ate them even though it burned my mouth. For several days, I could not get my food salty enough and had to keep adding salt. My conclusion of this "study" is that hot, spicy foods mess up your taste buds so that you can't taste salt, etc so you need to keep adding the hot stuff to notice any flavor. It creates a cycle. So that's my take on the topic:-)

+Quote Post

15 Pages V  « < 8 9 10 11 12 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th March 2008 - 12:31 PM
Design by: Download IPB Skins & eBusiness
BlackSDA has no official affiliation or endorsement from the Seventh-day Adventist church