Archive of http://www.blacksda.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=15137&st=15 preserved for the defense in 3ABN and Danny Shelton v. Joy and Pickle.
Links altered to maintain their integrity and aid in navigation, but content otherwise unchanged.
Saved at 03:04:55 PM on March 23, 2008.
IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

12 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> New 3abn President, Jim Gilley
fallible humanbe...
post Aug 31 2007, 02:48 PM
Post #16

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,058

According to Princeton University's "WordNet" the word "nondenominational" means that something is not restricted to a singular denomination. Is the message of the plan salvation nondenominational? It would have to be - otherwise based on the logic of your argument only Seventh-day Adventists would be headed for heaven (maybe).

You have grasped at a flimsy straw in an effort to create a perception that 3ABN is not sharing with the world the message that God entrusted to His followers. The refrain is tiresome at best, ridiculous at the least. The language in the law suit is there as it is dictated by the process of law. I realize this is your court of public opinion and here all have an honorary JD - but that doesn't make your interpretation of the wording in the law suit accurate - it only makes it your opinion.

Please show us chapter and verse, or page from EGW's writings where Seventh-day Adventists are identified as the only ones entitled to the Gospel message, the Gospel commission, salvation through the death of Christ.

- FHB

QUOTE(princessdi @ Aug 31 2007, 04:36 PM) *
Naw, now, that is their claim, FHB, no affiliation with any denomination. Either they Adventist or they are not, They can't have it both ways. Either they lied to the Adventists or to the court, take your pick.

Fact is, they are clearly Adventist, however there is ahug problem with them not wanting to own up to it publicly.

--------------------
But beware. Anger, fear, aggression. The dark side are they. Once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny. - Yoda

If you would convince a man that he does wrong, do right. But do not care to convince him. Men will believe what they see. Let them see. - Henry David Thoreau

May those who love us love us. And those who don’t love us– may God turn their hearts. And if He cannot turn their hearts, may He turn their ankles, so that we may know them by their limping. - Keeping Faith
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
sonshineonme
post Aug 31 2007, 02:55 PM
Post #17

1,000 + posts
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,709

QUOTE(beartrap @ Aug 31 2007, 12:55 PM) *
3ABN Announces New President!

On August 30, 2007, the 3ABN board invited Elder Jim Gilley to become the new president of the 3ABN world ministry. Jim joins Danny Shelton, founder and visionary of 3ABN, in a move designed to meet the challenge of rapidly expanding opportunities opening up to the ministry. Daily, signs in the world about us shout of the momentous times in which we live. We see a vast world of hurting people crying out to God for they know not what. The 3ABN board has seen this need and heard this cry.

Elder Jim Gilley brings with him a vast experience in administration and in both personal and public evangelism. As such, he is uniquely qualified for this special calling. Building upon the strong foundation already in place, Jim envisions even greater and more cooperative efforts among the many varied ministries of God's people as they seek to reach the honest in heart everywhere, calling them out of Babylon in preparation for the glorious return of our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ.

Jim will be introduced to our viewing audience in his new role in an early upcoming live television appearance.

Walter Thompson
Chairman, 3ABN Board of Directors

I will add an email from Gailon Joy regarding this here:

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Jim Gilley New President of 3ABN
Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2007 20:34:44 +0000
To: AUREporter@comcpast.net

Chairman Walt Thompson announces a new president. Jim Gilley, known for his liberal interpretation regarding adultery, particularly as it relates to ministers and their post adultery ministerial role and having allowed relicensing of adulterous partors during his tenure as conference president, has accepted the position of President of Three Angels Broadcasting Network, Inc. Jim Gilley was also part of the task force that exonerated Pastor Vendon following the allegations by Claudia Burrows, This also makes Jim Gilley a party to the lawsuite Three Angels Broadcasting Network , Inc and Danny Lee Shelton vs Gailon Arthur Joy and Robert Pickle. There has been no confirmation regarding his intentions to continue his role as Senior Pastor in Dallas. This announcement comes following the three known declines to at least three other parties who had been asked according to sources, including the rather public request to Rev Douglas Batchelor, the not so public request to the sitting president of the Central California Conference and the former President of the Minnesotta Conference. The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists was also not available to comment on the appointment of Jim Gilley to the 3ABN presidency. Sources at 3ABN seem to confirm that Danny Lee Shelton will continue in some as yet undesignated role as CEO. Whether that will be in the position of Vice Chairman or a Vice President is unknown at Press Time. Have attached a copy of the trademarked and copywritten statement from 3ABN.org: 3ABN Announces New President! On August 30, 2007, the 3ABN board invited Elder Jim Gilley to become the new president of the 3ABN world ministry. Jim joins Danny Shelton, founder and visionary of 3ABN, in a move designed to meet the challenge of rapidly expanding opportunities opening up to the ministry. Daily, signs in the world about us shout of the momentous times in which we live. We see a vast world of hurting people crying out to God for they know not what. The 3ABN board has seen this need and heard this cry.

Elder Jim Gilley brings with him a vast experience in administration and in both personal and public evangelism. As such, he is uniquely qualified for this special calling. Building upon the strong foundation already in place, Jim envisions even greater and more cooperative efforts among the many varied ministries of God's people as they seek to reach the honest in heart everywhere, calling them out of Babylon in preparation for the glorious return of our Lord and S avior, Jesus Christ.

Jim will be introduced to our viewing audience in his new role in an early upcoming live television appearance.

Walter Thompson
3ABN Announces New President! On August 30, 2007, the 3ABN board invited Elder Jim Gilley to become the new president of the 3ABN world ministry. Jim joins Danny Shelton, founder and visionary of 3ABN, in a move designed to meet the challenge of rapidly expanding opportunities opening up to the ministry. Daily, signs in the world about us shout of the momentous times in which we live. We see a vast world of hurting people crying out to God for they know not what. The 3ABN board has seen this need and heard this cry.

Elder Jim Gilley brings with him a vast experience in administration and in both personal and public evangelism. As such, he is uniquely qualified for this special calling. Building upon the strong foundation already in place, Jim envisions even greater and more cooperative efforts among the many varied ministries of God's people as they seek to reach the honest in heart everywhere, calling them out of Babylon in preparation for the glorious return of our Lord and S avior, Jesus Christ.

Walter Thompson

This post has been edited by sonshineonme: Aug 31 2007, 02:56 PM

--------------------
Here's the thing - "...if you pull "folks" into a fight you don't know what "weapon" they will bring." PrincessDrRe

"A man who digs a pit for others to fall into, will end up falling into it himself. And if a man rolls a stone on someone, the stone will roll back on him". Said Solomon the wise, Proverbs 26:27

"No man can follow Christ and go astray." William H.P. Faunce

"If I could hear Christ praying for me in the next room, I would not fear a million enemies. Yet distance makes no difference. He is praying for me." Robert M. McCheyne

Click here for Linda Shelton's newly updated website

+Quote Post
sonshineonme
post Aug 31 2007, 02:59 PM
Post #18

1,000 + posts
Group Icon

QUOTE(sonshineonme @ Aug 31 2007, 01:55 PM) *
I will add an email from Gailon Joy regarding this here:

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Jim Gilley New President of 3ABN
Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2007 20:34:44 +0000
To: AUREporter@comcpast.net

Chairman Walt Thompson announces a new president. Jim Gilley.....

Pardon my negative response, but in my opinion, this idea of J. Gilley won't fly.

--------------------
Here's the thing - "...if you pull "folks" into a fight you don't know what "weapon" they will bring." PrincessDrRe

"A man who digs a pit for others to fall into, will end up falling into it himself. And if a man rolls a stone on someone, the stone will roll back on him". Said Solomon the wise, Proverbs 26:27

"If I could hear Christ praying for me in the next room, I would not fear a million enemies. Yet distance makes no difference. He is praying for me." Robert M. McCheyne

+Quote Post
sonshineonme
post Aug 31 2007, 03:00 PM
Post #19

1,000 + posts
Group Icon

QUOTE(princessdi @ Aug 31 2007, 01:28 PM) *
One more question:

Why they gettin'an Adventist pastor as president and they are non denominational?

EXCELLENT OBSERVATION!!! clap.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
beartrap
post Aug 31 2007, 03:03 PM
Post #20

500 + posts
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,659

QUOTE(fallible humanbeing @ Aug 31 2007, 01:48 PM) *
According to Princeton University's "WordNet" the word "nondenominational" means that something is not restricted to a singular denomination. Is the message of the plan salvation nondenominational? It would have to be - otherwise based on the logic of your argument only Seventh-day Adventists would be headed for heaven (maybe).

You have grasped at a flimsy straw in an effort to create a perception that 3ABN is not sharing with the world the message that God entrusted to His followers. The refrain is tiresome at best, ridiculous at the least. The language in the law suit is there as it is dictated by the process of law. I realize this is your court of public opinion and here all have an honorary JD - but that doesn't make your interpretation of the wording in the law suit accurate - it only makes it your opinion.

Please show us chapter and verse, or page from EGW's writings where Seventh-day Adventists are identified as the only ones entitled to the Gospel message, the Gospel commission, salvation through the death of Christ.

- FHB

Is the programming Adventist? If so it is denominational.

And that does not address the wording that says 3ABN is not affiliated with any denomination. No matter how anyone tries to flip or twist that one, it will always come back to the fact that it is a lie. Does the law dictate that the wording of a lawsuit be deceitful? Does it dictate that the wording include lies?

+Quote Post
Rosyroi
post Aug 31 2007, 03:10 PM
Post #21

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,536

Appears that Pastor Jim Gilley will fit right in with Danny Shelton/3ABN nice and snug. I will NOT be holding my breath for any earth shattering announcements some of us have been looking for ... say... about 3 years?

JMHO

Rosyroi

--------------------

"Joy, Love, Peace, Long Suffering, Gentleness, Goodness, Faith, Meekness, and Self Control are what being full of the Holy Spirit is all about." Galations 5.

"Don't waste your time waiting and longing for large opportunities which may never come, but faitfully handle the little things that are always claiming your attention..." F.B. Meyers

"Truth welcomes examination and doesn't need to defend itself, while deception hides in darkness and blames everyone else." Aunt B. 2007

"For GOD so LOVED you and me..." John 3:16

"I believe that there is a devil, and here's Satan's agenda. First, he doesn't want anyone having kids. Secondly, if they do conceive, he wants them killed.
If they're not killed through abortion, he wants them neglected or abused physically, emotionally, sexually...One way or another, the legions of hell want to destroy children because children become the future adults and leaders. If they (legions) can warp or wound a child, he or she becomes a warped or wounded adult who passes on this affliction to the next generation". -Terry Randall in TIME Magazine, October 21, 1991

+Quote Post
Pickle
post Aug 31 2007, 03:20 PM
Post #22

1,000 + posts
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,960

FHB,

In light of Walt Thompson's wording, "Jim joins Danny Shelton, founder and visionary of 3ABN ...," in light of his using this wording even though we have conclusively documented Danny's engaging in private inurement, divorcing without biblical grounds, and trying to convince his ex-wife to report donations of property as cash without appraisals, in light of Walt Thompson's sending this rather clear signal that Danny isn't going anywhere, would you say that it might be about time to use the word "apostasy" in regards to Dr. Thompson?

I am greatly disturbed at Dr. Thompson's apparent brazen disregard for the most basic principles of our faith. And I would appreciate it if someone somewhere could get an answer from him that he by no means intended to say such an outrageous thing.

+Quote Post
Fran
post Aug 31 2007, 03:26 PM
Post #23

500 + posts
Group Icon

Group: Financial Donor
Member No.: 529

This is ACTION!

But was it God doing it, or was it Danny? Surely it couldn't have been the "General Conference!" Or was it?

Stay Tuned for the next episode of "Name Droppings"!

--------------------
The greatest want of the world is the want of men-- men who will not be bought or sold, men who in their inmost souls are true and honest, men who do not fear to call sin by its right name, men whose conscience is as true to duty as the needle to the pole, men who will stand for the right though the heavens fall. {Ed 57.3}
But such a character is not the result of accident; it is not due to special favors or endowments of Providence. A noble character is the result of self-discipline, of the subjection of the lower to the higher nature--the surrender of self for the service of love to God and man. {Ed 57.4}

+Quote Post
fallible humanbe...
post Aug 31 2007, 03:28 PM
Post #24

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,058

QUOTE(beartrap @ Aug 31 2007, 05:03 PM) *
Is the programming Adventist? If so it is denominational.

BT,

This kind of logic wouldn't hold up in any court. Let's apply it to other areas, the Catholic church practices communion - did so long before the existence of the Seventh-day Adventist church . . . so by your logic, communion is a Catholic institution and therefore the Seventh-day Adventist Church in practicing communion is involved in Catholic practices.

The Adventist faith doesn't have a corner on truth. Your continued emphasis on this issue seems to indicate that you feel that truth can only be discovered and disseminated by and through the Seventh-day Adventist Church. If this is the case then what was the purpose of Luther, Wycliffe, Husse, Jerome, and all of the other reformers all the way back to the Waldensies.

Your argument that "If A, then B" is about as solid as the nearest pit of quicksand . . . triumphalism never winged anyone to heaven.

- FHB

--------------------
But beware. Anger, fear, aggression. The dark side are they. Once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny. - Yoda

If you would convince a man that he does wrong, do right. But do not care to convince him. Men will believe what they see. Let them see. - Henry David Thoreau

May those who love us love us. And those who don’t love us– may God turn their hearts. And if He cannot turn their hearts, may He turn their ankles, so that we may know them by their limping. - Keeping Faith

+Quote Post
Pickle
post Aug 31 2007, 03:33 PM
Post #25

1,000 + posts
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,960

FHB,

BearTrap is correct that 3ABN and Danny told a falsehood in the lawsuit when they claimed that 3ABN wasn't affiliated with any organization, and that they preached a non-denominational message. I've done a lot of witnessing to folks of a lot of persuasions, and "non-denomination" carries a connotation that definitely doesn't apply to 3ABN.

If 3ABN continues to refuse to uphold generally accepted Christian and Adventist standards, at what point do the words "apostasy" and "apostate" apply? Your thoughts?

This post has been edited by Pickle: Aug 31 2007, 03:35 PM

+Quote Post
YogusBearus
post Aug 31 2007, 04:18 PM
Post #26

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,905

OK, I’m hopelessly confused here. When I saw the new thread topic my first thought was that this looked like a major positive development for 3ABN. For some reason I assumed that at Seventh-day Adventist Pastor assuming leadership duties at 3ABN would be viewed as a good thing. After reading the majority of posts weighing in on the news I’m at a loss and obviously missing something crucial. Without addressing Mr. Joy’s statement, what I’m hearing is:

• Why is 3ABN putting an Adventist Pastor in this position when they are non-denominational?
  • When will the new President be making a statement regarding the 3abn ministry's sorrow and culpability for the actions of Tommy Shelton?
  • This idea of J. Gilley won't fly.
  • Appears that Pastor Jim Gilley will fit right in with Danny Shelton/3ABN nice and snug.
  • .. in light of Walt Thompson's sending this rather clear signal that Danny isn't going anywhere, would you say that it might be about time to use the word "apostasy" in regards to Dr. Thompson?
  • This is ACTION! But was it God doing it, or was it Danny? Surely it couldn't have been the "General Conference!" Or was it?
  • If 3ABN continues to refuse to uphold generally accepted Christian and Adventist standards, at what point do the words "apostasy" and "apostate" apply? Your thoughts?
I apologize if you think I’m picking a fight. I really am wondering why this is not greeted as a positive development. I am most hopeful that it doesn’t boil down to a disagreement on Adventist theology or that we aren’t prepared to accept any positive direction from 3ABN.

-bear (ducking and running for cover)

--------------------

+Quote Post
Fran
post Aug 31 2007, 04:30 PM
Post #27

500 + posts
Group Icon

Group: Financial Donor
Member No.: 529

QUOTE(YogusBearus @ Aug 31 2007, 05:18 PM) *
OK, I’m hopelessly confused here. When I saw the new thread topic my first thought was that this looked like a major positive development for 3ABN. For some reason I assumed that at Seventh-day Adventist Pastor assuming leadership duties at 3ABN would be viewed as a good thing. After reading the majority of posts weighing in on the news I’m at a loss and obviously missing something crucial. Without addressing Mr. Joy’s statement, what I’m hearing is:

• Why is 3ABN putting an Adventist Pastor in this position when they are non-denominational?
  • When will the new President be making a statement regarding the 3abn ministry's sorrow and culpability for the actions of Tommy Shelton?
  • Appears that Pastor Jim Gilley will fit right in with Danny Shelton/3ABN nice and snug.
  • .. in light of Walt Thompson's sending this rather clear signal that Danny isn't going anywhere, would you say that it might be about time to use the word "apostasy" in regards to Dr. Thompson?
  • This is ACTION! But was it God doing it, or was it Danny? Surely it couldn't have been the "General Conference!" Or was it?
  • If 3ABN continues to refuse to uphold generally accepted Christian and Adventist standards, at what point do the words "apostasy" and "apostate" apply? Your thoughts?
I apologize if you think I’m picking a fight. I really am wondering why this is not greeted as a positive development. I am most hopeful that it doesn’t boil down to a disagreement on Adventist theology or that we aren’t prepared to accept any positive direction from 3ABN.

-bear (ducking and running for cover)

Bear;

No need to duck and run!

This could be a very positive move.

Is it? Who knows? I just figure if Danny chose one of his choices, it might smell a little stinky. I guess I need to go layer some ice and dirt somewhere to confuse those who come behind me!

--------------------
The greatest want of the world is the want of men-- men who will not be bought or sold, men who in their inmost souls are true and honest, men who do not fear to call sin by its right name, men whose conscience is as true to duty as the needle to the pole, men who will stand for the right though the heavens fall. {Ed 57.3}
But such a character is not the result of accident; it is not due to special favors or endowments of Providence. A noble character is the result of self-discipline, of the subjection of the lower to the higher nature--the surrender of self for the service of love to God and man. {Ed 57.4}

+Quote Post
PeacefulBe
post Aug 31 2007, 04:41 PM
Post #28

1,000 + posts
Group Icon

Member No.: 2,169

I really know very little about Jim Gilley. I have been inspired by some of his testimonies and know he has done good things at the Dallas church. Frankly, the only thing, so far, that I have against Jim Gilley is his view on the environment.

Of course, I have questions too. Will he be moving to Illinois? Will he truly be the President or will he merely be a conduit for Danny Shelton? Will he rehabilitate 3abn as he has done for fallen pastors (per Gailon's email). Is he the strong leader 3abn needs or simply a figure head.

While much is yet unknown, I say we watch and see if he is successful in his new leadership role at 3abn.

btw, wouldn't it be great if Jim would be accessible to this forum so we could ask him for his input directly? Can somebody find out what his view of internet forums is and maybe invite him?

--------------------
Got Peace?

John 14:27 Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid.

"Truth welcomes examination and doesn't need to defend itself, while deception hides in darkness and blames everyone else." Aunt B, 2007

+Quote Post
princessdi
post Aug 31 2007, 04:52 PM
Post #29

5,000 + posts
Group Icon

Group: Administrator
Member No.: 47

Dont' even try it, FHB. Now 3ABn can't be Adventist when it is convenient and Non denominational when it suits them. Adventist supported and gave financially to 3ABN because they believe it to be singularly Adventist, with the unique Adventist 3 Angel's Message reaching out to thw world. Adventist have always claimed to have a unique and special message to the world. 3ABN implied by the programming aliances, name, and doctrine that they were indeed, Adventist. You did not see that big broadcasting truck parked in front of MegaFest, just the General conference of Seventh Day Adventist. They don't carry conference or series by T.D. Jakes and John Hagee, but Doug Batchelor and Sean Boonstra. They ARE Adventist, and in the light of out end time prophecy where we will have to stand up for our beliefs under threat of persecution and death, it is indeed, in the midst of the signs of the last days t hat a leader in SDA Christian living is not proclaiming is not ready to stand up and be counted. Yes, it is true that faulty thinking does have some Adventist thinking that everyone will have to be Adventist before getting to heaven. However, that is not what I am saying, and you know it.

The only thing flimsy is your excuse for why 3ABN is dual minded. I am only h olding htem responsible for thier own words. I owuld have not problem had they not been talking out of both sides of their collective mouths. It is not aobut who is entitled to the message, it is for wht world, but the doctrine is truly Adventist, 29 FB, EGW, etc.

Please don't act as if I am saying that only Adventist are going to heaven or need to be saved, get the Gospel or anything else. It is about 3ABN saying and doing as it is convenient for them. When they are on TV, begging for funds, they are a ministry, when they want to toss Linda they are a buisnessa nd she was only entitled to severence. their programming and affiliation say that thye are Adventist, when they get to court, they are Non denominational, not affiliated with any denomination. Please!

QUOTE(fallible humanbeing @ Aug 31 2007, 01:48 PM) *

- FHB

--------------------
TTFN
Di

And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose---Romans 8:28

A great many people believe they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.-- William James

It is better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.- Mark Twain

+Quote Post
Artiste
post Aug 31 2007, 04:53 PM
Post #30

Advanced Member

Member No.: 3,569

QUOTE(YogusBearus @ Aug 31 2007, 03:18 PM) *

Nice summary, Yogus Bearus!

+Quote Post

12 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd March 2008 - 02:04 PM
Design by: Download IPB Skins & eBusiness
BlackSDA has no official affiliation or endorsement from the Seventh-day Adventist church