Archive of http://www.blacksda.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=15225&st=30 preserved for the defense in 3ABN and Danny Shelton v. Joy and Pickle.
Links altered to maintain their integrity and aid in navigation, but content otherwise unchanged.
Saved at 03:03:13 PM on March 23, 2008.
IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

8 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Where Is John Osborne?, Are his talents not appreciated?
Brick Step
post Sep 24 2007, 12:36 AM
Post #31

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,624

QUOTE(WillowRun @ Sep 23 2007, 08:52 PM) *
Brick Step, I apologize for being short with you. I should have waited until I could write a more gentle reply.

Thank you for your suggestion of a home church. I fear that may be too organized for me at this time. I read my bible at home and teach my girls. We watch Hope Television via the internet and Amazing Facts Sabbath School and Church.

I have a handful of contacts from my church going days. We stay in touch. Some have returned to the conference churches. Others have not. Some of them who were older are now gone. I miss my dear friend Jim in particular. He always called my oldest his little Sunshine and treated her like a grand daughter. I also miss my friend, Elaine who was so busy trying to live every word written by EGW that she allowed cancer to eat her alive believing that modern medicine is poison. I helped take care of her in those last days. Her death caused a crisis of faith in little Sunshine that has not ever gone away. Little Sunshine is now twenty years old and has not attended church since she was 8. She prayed and got baptised and her dear friend still died.

I ask that everyone who reads my post to please pray for little Sunshine that she may someday find her way back to God. I pray that the price paid for my inability to understand that my daughter is lost forever.

Respectfully and sadly
Willow

You're OK, Willow, and thank you for sharing. Your story nearly made me cry. Be assured of my prayers, especially for Sunshine.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
watchbird
post Sep 24 2007, 08:11 AM
Post #32

1,000 + posts
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,712

QUOTE(WillowRun @ Sep 23 2007, 10:32 PM) *
I attended a conference SDA church from 1987 - 1991 without being a baptised member

I was baptised by Pastor Kohley in late February/early March on 1991. This was a conference baptism.

The historic movement was splittling our church during 1991-1993

I fell in with the Historic group in 1992 (I didn't understand the difference between the two groups occupying one church) These folks believed that Jesuits killed Marshall Grosball. There was another man named Jim Arabito who authored some works about the Jesuit infilltration of the SDA church. He died and the same rumors went round about his death as well. (I was well and truly brainwashed at this point. I was terrified of jackbooted thugs and prison camps for believers and the mark of the beast....I was not serving a loving merciful god at this point in my life. Some among this group were saying the Church was Babylon and then there were Jan Marcusson's news letters)

I attended a Historic SDA Church--Pleasant Valley Layman's Chapel from the summer of 1992 to 1994. It was an 80 mile drive one way. The preaching was good and so were my fellow church members.

I was rebaptised by Ron Woolsey in October of 1992. I believe he obtained his ordination via Steps to Life. He has since reconciled with and is employed by the SDA Conference. He also dedicated my two oldest daughters. I hold him in the highest esteem to this day.

My twins were born in 1993. They were dedicated by Elder Peter Jackson. He now volunteers for 3abn.

Prophecy countdown imploded about 1995 ish. Pastor Osborne wanted to return to the conference fold. This decision, combined with a meltdown over the control of a shortwave radio station with other Historic Ministries (Steps to Life, Modern Manna, Bob Trefz, Heartland Institute and Les Balsigers Ministry). Ron tried to broker a deal to hold everything together. Ron also advocated returning to the Conference. I thought my friend and pastor had lost his mind. Pleasant Valley Layman's Chapel disbanded about the same time. Ron had another church 80 miles east of Pleasant Valley. And I was left with no where to go...so I go no where.

Thank you so much for sharing your experience, Willow. It is heart rending to hear how your faith was damaged and those who did so destroyed your confidence in our church in a way that left you with "no where to go."

And the really tragic thing is that you are not alone. Your experience has been multiplied by the thousands in the last 20 years or more. I personally know some who have gone the same or similar route while following voices even within Adventism that called themselves "historic Adventists". For some time close relatives of ours were following some of these critical leaders and in the material that they sent to us, I noted that the first thing done in every pamphlet or book was to work to destroy confidence in the church ministers, leaders, and teachers.... the very ones who could have helped them see the error in the doctrinal materials that followed. The excesses in health practices that they were led to follow has led to the death of one, the other came so near death that he will have to live out his days in a nursing facility. I am glad that you at least escaped with your life and daughters intact.

I read my bible and pray. I give to charitible causes. I come to places like BSDA for fellowship. I visit the Amazing facts website when I need to go to Sabbath School or Church. I watch It is Written on Trinity Broadcasting network. And before I moved to outer mongolia arkansas I watched KSBN Safe TV. I have DISH network and alas no Safe TV. My friend Ron Woolsey has a radio station that broadcasts 3abn radio. But that is too far from where I live to get reception. I've started watching HOPE on the internet when I can. I won't watch 3abn right now. Not until things settle down there and an honest accounting is made.

Some good decisions there, IMO. And if you can get HOPE via computer, you can also get Loma Linda Broadcasting Network, so I suggest that you add LLBN to your watching schedule. Loma Linda Church Service and adult Sabbath school are broadcast at least twice each Sabbath, and there is also an excellent Bible study discussion featuring three of our excellent Bible scholars, John Brunt, John Jones, and Ivan Blazen. Do try it. I think you will find a sense of community there that will help bridge the gap between solo Bible study and mere programs made for TV consumption.

I'll also suggest the sermons available from Collegedale Church as MP3 files or Podcast. See their sermon archives HERE<<<. John Nixon is our senior pastor now, and I especially recommend his sermons to all.

I attended an Episcopal church long enough to allow my three youngest daughters to pursue baptism. It's a safe church very luke warm and non radical. Episcopal church sermons are like puffed rice cakes. Not much substance. They can make other choices when they are older. But for now, living in the Bible belt, they can honestly say yes when someone tries that as a conversion technique.

Pastor Kohley is now employed by the Lake Union. Atleast that is where google placed him when I searched.

I am not sure where I am going from here

I invite you to "come home". The Adventist church is varied and not nearly so cohesive a "family" as is often claimed for it. But the very fact that they do not purge the camp of all dissidents says something about there being a place for each of us within its boundaries. You will find many different "brands" of Adventism in the various sermon series available... and the various TV networks. I think you will find what you are looking for if you keep on looking.

QUOTE(WillowRun @ Sep 23 2007, 10:52 PM) *
Thank you for your suggestion of a home church. I fear that may be too organized for me at this time. I read my bible at home and teach my girls. We watch Hope Television via the internet and Amazing Facts Sabbath School and Church.

I have a handful of contacts from my church going days. We stay in touch. Some have returned to the conference churches. Others have not. Some of them who were older are now gone. I miss my dear friend Jim in particular. He always called my oldest his little Sunshine and treated her like a grand daughter. I also miss my friend, Elaine who was so busy trying to live every word written by EGW that she allowed cancer to eat her alive believing that modern medicine is poison. I helped take care of her in those last days. Her death caused a crisis of faith in little Sunshine that has not ever gone away. Little Sunshine is now twenty years old and has not attended church since she was 8. She prayed and got baptised and her dear friend still died.

I ask that everyone who reads my post to please pray for little Sunshine that she may someday find her way back to God. I pray that the price paid for my inability to understand that my daughter is lost forever.

Respectfully and sadly
Willow

So sorry over your losses. But know that our God is a God of love, and he is eager to save... not to destroy. And He would not destroy someone who through an excess of misplaced devotion to Him made mistakes that cut short their lives on this earth. Fortunately we have the "Blessed Hope" to carry us through these losses, and we can rest their cases with Christ, who will raise to life eternal all those who have earnestly sought to follow Him... whether or not their beliefs about what following Him entailed were significantly in error.

I feel for you regarding your daughter. But do not blame your inability to understand. Both she and you had a simplistic, but errant view of how God goes about answering prayers. It is very easy to fall into the error of thinking we can bargain with God... and offer our own penance or even our own life for the life of another. But that is error. God paid the price for every soul Himself... including Elaine and your little Sunshine. The one is now safely on his list of those to be resurrected... and the other is still the object of his care and devotion. He will be to her as the "Hound of Heaven"... pursuing her relentlessly all the days of her life... at what He knows is the appropriate distance to best meet her immediate needs and prepare her for an eventual direct confrontation with Him. It is your part to learn about, and learn to model, the God of love.... and as you do that, your life will become a witness to her of a different God than she learned about as a child. Just be patient. Put your life and hers in His hands.

As RBF says so well below.....

QUOTE(RBF @ Sep 23 2007, 11:58 PM) *
I have prayed for Sunshine but, remember, One Greater than myself is praying for her. Jesus has her name written in the palms of His hands. Alas, no shepherd goes home without finding His sheep.

RBF

+Quote Post
Brenda
post Sep 24 2007, 08:31 AM
Post #33

Advanced Member

Group: Financial Donor
Member No.: 1,814

QUOTE(watchbird @ Sep 25 2007, 12:11 AM) *
Thank you so much for sharing your experience, Willow. It is heart rending to hear how your faith was damaged and those who did so destroyed your confidence in our church in a way that left you with "no where to go."

And the really tragic thing is that you are not alone. Your experience has been multiplied by the thousands in the last 20 years or more. I personally know some who have gone the same or similar route while following voices even within Adventism that called themselves "historic Adventists". For some time close relatives of ours were following some of these critical leaders and in the material that they sent to us, I noted that the first thing done in every pamphlet or book was to work to destroy confidence in the church ministers, leaders, and teachers.... the very ones who could have helped them see the error in the doctrinal materials that followed. The excesses in health practices that they were led to follow has led to the death of one, the other came so near death that he will have to live out his days in a nursing facility. I am glad that you at least escaped with your life and daughters intact.

Some good decisions there, IMO. And if you can get HOPE via computer, you can also get Loma Linda Broadcasting Network, so I suggest that you add LLBN to your watching schedule. Loma Linda Church Service and adult Sabbath school are broadcast at least twice each Sabbath, and there is also an excellent Bible study discussion featuring three of our excellent Bible scholars, John Brunt, John Jones, and Ivan Blazen. Do try it. I think you will find a sense of community there that will help bridge the gap between solo Bible study and mere programs made for TV consumption.

I'll also suggest the sermons available from Collegedale Church as MP3 files or Podcast. See their sermon archives HERE<<<. John Nixon is our senior pastor now, and I especially recommend his sermons to all.
I invite you to "come home". The Adventist church is varied and not nearly so cohesive a "family" as is often claimed for it. But the very fact that they do not purge the camp of all dissidents says something about there being a place for each of us within its boundaries. You will find many different "brands" of Adventism in the various sermon series available... and the various TV networks. I think you will find what you are looking for if you keep on looking.
So sorry over your losses. But know that our God is a God of love, and he is eager to save... not to destroy. And He would not destroy someone who through an excess of misplaced devotion to Him made mistakes that cut short their lives on this earth. Fortunately we have the "Blessed Hope" to carry us through these losses, and we can rest their cases with Christ, who will raise to life eternal all those who have earnestly sought to follow Him... whether or not their beliefs about what following Him entailed were significantly in error.

I feel for you regarding your daughter. But do not blame your inability to understand. Both she and you had a simplistic, but errant view of how God goes about answering prayers. It is very easy to fall into the error of thinking we can bargain with God... and offer our own penance or even our own life for the life of another. But that is error. God paid the price for every soul Himself... including Elaine and your little Sunshine. The one is now safely on his list of those to be resurrected... and the other is still the object of his care and devotion. He will be to her as the "Hound of Heaven"... pursuing her relentlessly all the days of her life... at what He knows is the appropriate distance to best meet her immediate needs and prepare her for an eventual direct confrontation with Him. It is your part to learn about, and learn to model, the God of love.... and as you do that, your life will become a witness to her of a different God than she learned about as a child. Just be patient. Put your life and hers in His hands.

As RBF says so well below.....

Amen, WB. Willow, I too will pray for you and your Sunshine and I hope you can find some encouragement in the words above.

+Quote Post
mystery- man
post Sep 25 2007, 12:03 AM
Post #34

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,439

QUOTE(Brenda @ Sep 24 2007, 08:31 AM) *
Amen, WB. Willow, I too will pray for you and your Sunshine and I hope you can find some encouragement in the words above.

I personally am a little confused in that I dont see where the Historic Adventist were so wrong and the establish church is so right. Countless individual are losing their lives believing that they are saved when in fact they are lost (in my opinion). Like the Jews of old that considered themselves the chosen of God and anyone outside their sphere of influence was a heathen so the same thing is being repeated in modern times.

I believe that we have become so blind as to think that the church has the power to save, instead of the Savior. So blind that we disreagard our responsibility to hold those accountable for the very things that they are suppose to be upholding.

Osborne and others faced a great delima in that they saw what the church was doing and the direction it was going and tried to correct it. Their greatest fault, I believe, was the fact that they tried to correct the problem. Has spritualism taken hold of the church? Have many leaders in the church long since left the health message? Are we left with a requirment to keep the commandments without the power to do it? Has music become the driving factor in the church, used as a sign that the church is alive and blessed by God. Have movies and secular music and sports left many spiritually dead? When the end of time comes how many do you think will forsake all and follow Christ?

+Quote Post
västergötland
post Sep 25 2007, 01:10 AM
Post #35

1,000 + posts
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,902

QUOTE(mystery- man @ Sep 25 2007, 08:03 AM) *
I personally am a little confused in that I dont see where the Historic Adventist were so wrong and the establish church is so right. Countless individual are losing their lives believing that they are saved when in fact they are lost (in my opinion). Like the Jews of old that considered themselves the chosen of God and anyone outside their sphere of influence was a heathen so the same thing is being repeated in modern times.

I believe that we have become so blind as to think that the church has the power to save, instead of the Savior. So blind that we disreagard our responsibility to hold those accountable for the very things that they are suppose to be upholding.

Osborne and others faced a great delima in that they saw what the church was doing and the direction it was going and tried to correct it. Their greatest fault, I believe, was the fact that they tried to correct the problem. Has spritualism taken hold of the church? Have many leaders in the church long since left the health message? Are we left with a requirment to keep the commandments without the power to do it? Has music become the driving factor in the church, used as a sign that the church is alive and blessed by God. Have movies and secular music and sports left many spiritually dead? When the end of time comes how many do you think will forsake all and follow Christ?

If it can be established that the manstream church is not so right, that in itself does not make the Historic Adventist any less wrong. If you manage to prove a fungus infestation in the fruits of one tree does not mean that eating of the maggot infested fruits of the second tree is any more appealing.

--------------------
Christ crucified for our sins, Christ risen from the dead, Christ ascended on high, is the science of salvation that we are to learn and to teach. {8T 287.2}

Most Noble and Honourable Thomas the Abstemious of Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch

"I have said it before and I repeat it now: If someone could prove to me that apartheid is compatible with the Bible or christian faith, I would burn my bible and stop being a christian" Desmond Tutu

+Quote Post
beartrap
post Sep 25 2007, 01:31 AM
Post #36

500 + posts
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,659

QUOTE(mystery- man @ Sep 24 2007, 11:03 PM) *

To so many of us who have been in the embrace of some form of "historic Adventism" at some point, and lived with a pseudo version of it in "non-denominational" institutions and denomination institutions, at other points in time, we have found that there is a all too often a great emphasis on the form, doctrine, dogma, and fear of end-time persecution, and that is about it. It is nicely couched in a facade of caring for broken people, and Gospel-spreading, yet it it remains a controlling shadow of the real thing. This is very discouraging and causes many people to neccessarily rethink the foundations of their faith, and often rethink their faith itself. The strict nineteenth century dogmas and doctrines that define "historic Adventism" and some "non-denominational" institutions do not save anyone. the Church doesn't either. Only Christ does. There is no such thing as saved through some organization by Jesus. Nor is there such a thing as saved through a set of doctrines and dogmas. There is only saved by and through Jesus.

This post has been edited by beartrap: Sep 25 2007, 03:10 AM

+Quote Post
Brick Step
post Sep 25 2007, 02:10 AM
Post #37

Advanced Member

Member No.: 3,624

QUOTE(watchbird @ Sep 23 2007, 08:51 AM) *
I suggest that you did not read carefully enough.... and that since by your own witness you have not read the book, you have no basis for making a judgement as to whether this statement is "inflammatory" or whether it is a statement of fact... and one that John Osborne himself would agree with... and most likely DID approve of the way it was written.

As for whether it is an accurate description of the "'historic' Seventh-day Adventist movement", again, since you have not read the book, and are obviously not acquainted with the differences between the use of the word "historic" as a simple adjective to describe the history of SDAs and the use of the word "historic" as part of the name of a "movement" that has arisen in comparatively recent times WITHIN the mainstread Adventist Movement... a "Movement" within the Movement.... that sometimes organizes itself into an independent church and sometimes "works from within" to spread disatisfaction with today's Adventist Church.... then you have no basis for judging whether or not it applies to the "movement" which was led by John Osborne at the time.

If I have needlessly provoked by registering a protest against the use of the word "historic" in some advertising material, I am truly sorry. It appears the word "historic" in America is loaded with meanings not inherent in the word by itself. It also appears that historic Adventists themselves are very much in the firing line, - not a site to be coveted by anyone.

We watched videos of John Osborne in the early stages of his ministry, but to the degree it is possible to judge from afar, we agree there were some serious and growing problems evident before his ministry folded up. Yes, we have seen something of the same problem in other such ministres and know we should be there to support members caught up with and confused by this witness.

I always thought that John Osborne himself probably agreed with the use made of the appellation, "'historic' Seventh-day Adventist movement" in the words used to advertise his book. But the meaning writers attach to an expression is not the only thing to be considered when advertising material is somehow sent out. Readers out in the churches around the world will have their own experience with the word "historic." They look at the persons about them who might call themselves "historic Adventists", read about the alleged misdeeds of an alleged extremist historic Adventist group somewhere else, see the judgments being meted out against them, and then come to view with suspicion and distrust a perhaps vastly more moderate group in their own area. I believe hundreds within Adventism would testify that this is indeed what has happened. I believe I do have a basis for trying to make a judgment.

Christians down through the ages have so often suffered vilification. How terrible when they slip into the exercise of vilifying those of their own number! It's so easy for any one of us to do: Magnify the errors of your perceived opponent or trouble-maker, ignore or minimize their strengths. On your own count, magnify your successes, ignore or minimize your failures. Prophecy warns that all faithful believers at the last will suffer vilification. But Jesus will cover and deliver His children. Would not a grateful heart today be ready to do everything possible to pass on this blessing by somehow shielding the vulnerable within their own sights in the here and now?

Lest I be misunderstood, I must say that many times over, within the SDA Church, I have seen and enjoyed this show of wonderful Christian grace.

Some terrible beliefs, characterists and practices have on this site been attributed to "historic" Seventh-day Adventism. It is not for us to deny somebody's personal testimony. Every church has its extremists. But they are not all in the "historic" camp. Needless tragedies and deaths have occurred also in the liberal and middle-of-the-road camps. Given time, space and encouragement to grow, many mature and pull out of wrong attitudes and practices. God help us all to be givers of just such time, space and encouragement.

WB, though I know nothing of the LL speakers you recommended in your later post, I was impressed and encouraged myself by at least most of your counsel, in particular its spirit. Thank you.

+Quote Post
mystery- man
post Sep 25 2007, 03:27 AM
Post #38

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,439

QUOTE(mystery- man @ Sep 25 2007, 12:03 AM) *

It would seem that we to some degree want to run away from the very things that we indeed do stand for. I remember some years back the local newspaper printed certain sections from the Great Controversy, our local hospital put out a reply that Adventist no longer believe that. The problem lies in the very fabric of what Seventhday Adventist are. We do indeed preach things that are of a end time nature and often the reality of it is a "time such as never was".

+Quote Post
västergötland
post Sep 25 2007, 03:44 AM
Post #39

1,000 + posts
Group Icon

QUOTE(mystery- man @ Sep 25 2007, 11:27 AM) *
It would seem that we to some degree want to run away from the very things that we indeed do stand for. I remember some years back the local newspaper printed certain sections from the Great Controversy, our local hospital put out a reply that Adventist no longer believe that. The problem lies in the very fabric of what Seventhday Adventist are. We do indeed preach things that are of a end time nature and often the reality of it is a "time such as never was".
Define "we"...

--------------------
Christ crucified for our sins, Christ risen from the dead, Christ ascended on high, is the science of salvation that we are to learn and to teach. {8T 287.2}

Most Noble and Honourable Thomas the Abstemious of Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch

"I have said it before and I repeat it now: If someone could prove to me that apartheid is compatible with the Bible or christian faith, I would burn my bible and stop being a christian" Desmond Tutu

+Quote Post
Clay
post Sep 25 2007, 08:03 AM
Post #40

5,000 + posts
Group Icon

Group: Administrator
Member No.: 4

QUOTE(mystery- man @ Sep 25 2007, 04:27 AM) *

some of the stuff that was taught by members of the church or extrapolated from the writings of egw should have never been taught... and I suspect that at times people believe the church teaches certain things when it does not...

--------------------
"you are as sick as your secrets...." -quote from Celebrity Rehab-

+Quote Post
SoulEspresso
post Sep 25 2007, 08:49 AM
Post #41

500 + posts
Group Icon

Member No.: 2,262

QUOTE(Clay @ Sep 25 2007, 08:03 AM) *
some of the stuff that was taught by members of the church or extrapolated from the writings of egw should have never been taught... and I suspect that at times people believe the church teaches certain things when it does not...

Doing theology from Ellen White is something she would have decried. Creates all kinds of problems.

QUOTE(mystery- man @ Sep 25 2007, 03:27 AM) *

But there is a right way and a wrong way, not to mention time and place, to express ourselves.

QUOTE(beartrap @ Sep 25 2007, 01:31 AM) *
The strict nineteenth century dogmas and doctrines that define "historic Adventism" and some "non-denominational" institutions do not save anyone. the Church doesn't either. Only Christ does.

I agree completely except that historic Adventism isn't even historic. It's 1930s-1940s Adventism, but none of its proponents seem to know that.

QUOTE(RBF @ Sep 23 2007, 09:58 PM) *
I have prayed for Sunshine but, remember, One Greater than myself is praying for her. Jesus has her name written in the palms of His hands. Alas, no shepherd goes home without finding His sheep.

I would add John 10:28, "No one can snatch them out of My hands," which I hold onto for the case of my sister. God is not dependent on our theology to save us.

This post has been edited by SoulEspresso: Sep 25 2007, 08:50 AM

--------------------
"The entire world is falling apart because no one will admit they are wrong."
--
Don Miller, Blue Like Jazz.

+Quote Post
Pickle
post Sep 25 2007, 01:39 PM
Post #42

1,000 + posts
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,960

QUOTE(Clay @ Sep 25 2007, 09:03 AM) *

Since the church teaches that the Testimony of Jesus is the Spirit of Prophecy, which is what Rev. 19:10 plainly says, and since 1 Pet. 1:10, 11 plainly says that the Spirit of Christ is what testifies through the prophets, then it therefore follows that the Seventh-day Adventist Church does in fact endorse the various positions that Jesus testified by His Spirit through the prophets.

And that would include what Jesus testified by His Spirit regarding the mark of the beast in the book The Great Controversy.

+Quote Post
SoulEspresso
post Sep 25 2007, 02:19 PM
Post #43

500 + posts
Group Icon

Member No.: 2,262

QUOTE(Pickle @ Sep 25 2007, 01:39 PM) *
Since the church teaches that the Testimony of Jesus is the Spirit of Prophecy, which is what Rev. 19:10 plainly says, and since 1 Pet. 1:10, 11 plainly says that the Spirit of Christ is what testifies through the prophets, then it therefore follows that the Seventh-day Adventist Church does in fact endorse the various positions that Jesus testified by His Spirit through the prophets.

And that would include what Jesus testified by His Spirit regarding the mark of the beast in the book The Great Controversy.

Well ... compare Isaiah 11:12, 15, and 16 with what actually happened at the fall of Babylon. You'd be hard pressed to predict that Cyrus's men would redirect the river around the city!

Prophecy is never given to satisfy our curiosity about the future, but to tell us how to live now.

Accepting Ellen White's writings was not a test of fellowship for the Adventist Church during her lifetime. If we're going to be a sola scriptura church, it should be that way today.

--------------------
"The entire world is falling apart because no one will admit they are wrong."
--
Don Miller, Blue Like Jazz.

+Quote Post
västergötland
post Sep 25 2007, 03:32 PM
Post #44

1,000 + posts
Group Icon

Then we also have 1 thess 5

16Rejoice always;
17pray without ceasing;
18in everything give thanks; for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus.
19Do not quench the Spirit;
20do not despise prophetic utterances.
21But examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good;
22abstain from every form of evil.

So does this not mean that what prophetic utterances that are given should be closely examined, supposedly compared against the bible, and when the advice is to hold fast to that which is good, one could easily believe that everything is not nessessarily so.

Then we read about the testimony of Jesus in Rev 1:2 refering to John in writing the letter/s, Rev 1:8 refering to John's previous activity which had landed him the sentence which was the reason for his doing time on Patmos, Rev 12:17 with reference to the children of the woman representing the people of God, Rev 19:10 which you refered to and finaly in Revelation the verse 20:4 which speaks about them who will reign with Jesus from Heaven during a thousand years as the martyrs of the testimony of Jesus.

As for "the Spirit of Jesus", this phrase occurs twise in the bible, the first time being in romans 8:

1Therefore there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus.
2For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus has set you free from the law of sin and of death.
3For what the Law could not do, weak as it was through the flesh, God did: sending His own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh and as an offering for sin, He condemned sin in the flesh,
4so that the requirement of the Law might be fulfilled in us, who do not walk according to the flesh but according to the Spirit.
5For those who are according to the flesh set their minds on the things of the flesh, but those who are according to the Spirit, the things of the Spirit.
6For the mind set on the flesh is death, but the mind set on the Spirit is life and peace,
7because the mind set on the flesh is hostile toward God; for it does not subject itself to the law of God, for it is not even able to do so,
8and those who are in the flesh cannot please God.
9However, you are not in the flesh but in the Spirit, if indeed the Spirit of God dwells in you But if anyone does not have the Spirit of Christ, he does not belong to Him.
10If Christ is in you, though the body is dead because of sin, yet the spirit is alive because of righteousness.
11But if the Spirit of Him who raised Jesus from the dead dwells in you, He who raised Christ Jesus from the dead will also give life to your mortal bodies through His Spirit who dwells in you.
12So then, brethren, we are under obligation, not to the flesh, to live according to the flesh--
13for if you are living according to the flesh, you must die; but if by the Spirit you are putting to death the deeds of the body, you will live.
14For all who are being led by the Spirit of God, these are sons of God.

Here one could easily come to believe that having the Spirit of Jesus indwelling was one foundational criteria for being a christian in the first place. Especially when it says that any who do not have the Spirit of Christ does not belong to Christ.

--------------------

+Quote Post
västergötland
post Sep 25 2007, 03:45 PM
Post #45

1,000 + posts
Group Icon

What does Ellen say about the mark of the beast in the book “Great Controversy”. The most informative paragraphs come from one chapter and I quote them here below.

The beast with two horns "causeth [commands] all, both small and great, rich and poor, free and bond, to receive a mark in their right hand, or in their foreheads; and that no man might buy or sell, save he that had the mark, or the name of the beast, or the number of his name." [REV. 13:16, 17] The third angel's warning is, "If any man worship the beast and his image, and receive his mark in his forehead, or in his hand, the same shall drink of the wine of the wrath of God." "The beast" mentioned in this message, whose worship is enforced by the two-horned beast, is the first, or leopard-like beast of Revelation 13,--the papacy. The "image to the beast" represents that form of apostate Protestantism which will be developed when the Protestant churches shall seek the aid of the civil power for the enforcement of their dogmas. The "mark of the beast" still remains to be defined. {GC88 445.2}

As the sign of the authority of the Catholic Church, papist writers cite, "the very act of changing the Sabbath into Sunday, which Protestants allow of . . . because by keeping Sunday strictly they acknowledge the church's power to ordain feasts, and to command them under sin." ["ABRIDGMENT OF CHRISTIAN DOCTRINE."] What then is the change of the Sabbath, but the sign or mark of the authority of the Romish Church--"the mark of the beast"? {GC88 448.2}

But Christians of past generations observed the Sunday, supposing that in so doing they were keeping the Bible Sabbath, and there are now true Christians in every church, not excepting the Roman Catholic communion, who honestly believe that Sunday is the Sabbath of divine appointment. God accepts their sincerity of purpose and their integrity before him. But when Sunday observance shall be enforced by law, and the world shall be enlightened concerning the obligation of the true Sabbath, then whoever shall transgress the command of God, to obey a precept which has no higher authority than that of Rome, will thereby honor popery above God. He is paying homage to Rome, and to the power which enforces the institution ordained by Rome. He is worshipping the beast and his image. As men then reject the institution which God has declared to be the sign of his authority, and honor in its stead that which Rome has chosen as the token of her supremacy, they will thereby accept the sign of allegiance to Rome--"the mark of the beast." And it is not until the issue is thus plainly set before the people, and they are brought to choose between the commandments of God and the commandments of men, that those who continue in transgression will receive "the mark of the beast." {GC88 449.1}

In the issue of the contest, all Christendom will be divided into two great classes,--those who keep the commandments of God and the faith of Jesus, and those who worship the beast and his image and receive his mark. Although church and State will unite their power to compel "all, both small and great, rich and poor, free and bond," to receive "the mark of the beast," [REV. 13:16.] yet the people of God will not receive it. The prophet of Patmos beholds "them that had gotten the victory over the beast, and over his image, and over his mark, and over the number of his name, stand on the sea of glass, having the harps of God," and singing the song of Moses and the Lamb. [REV. 15: 2, 3.] {GC88 450.1}

--------------------

+Quote Post

8 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd March 2008 - 02:03 PM
Design by: Download IPB Skins & eBusiness
BlackSDA has no official affiliation or endorsement from the Seventh-day Adventist church