Archive of http://www.blacksda.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=15240&st=135 preserved for the defense in 3ABN and Danny Shelton v. Joy and Pickle.
Links altered to maintain their integrity and aid in navigation, but content otherwise unchanged.
Saved at 02:47:54 PM on March 23, 2008.
IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

30 Pages V  « < 8 9 10 11 12 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Jim Gilley Takes Over As President
Clay
post Sep 28 2007, 04:43 AM
Post #136

5,000 + posts
Group Icon

Group: Administrator
Member No.: 4

QUOTE(beartrap @ Sep 28 2007, 01:35 AM) *
Sometimes something as simple as a black corvette can be motivation for certain actions and statements... even it they are false.

hey hey hey.... leave the car out of it.....

I take this one if you don't mind...... what I gotta do?

--------------------
"you are as sick as your secrets...." -quote from Celebrity Rehab-
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
SoulEspresso
post Sep 28 2007, 06:27 AM
Post #137

500 + posts
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,262

QUOTE(Clay @ Sep 28 2007, 04:43 AM) *

How's your car running these days, Steve?

--------------------
"The entire world is falling apart because no one will admit they are wrong."
--
Don Miller, Blue Like Jazz.

+Quote Post
beartrap
post Sep 28 2007, 11:58 AM
Post #138

500 + posts
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,659

QUOTE(Clay @ Sep 28 2007, 03:43 AM) *

Sweet!

+Quote Post
Clay
post Sep 28 2007, 02:50 PM
Post #139

5,000 + posts
Group Icon

Group: Administrator
Member No.: 4

QUOTE(SoulEspresso @ Sep 28 2007, 07:27 AM) *
How's your car running these days, Steve?

its running quite well.... 210k on the odometer, not burning oir, still does 0-60 in about 6 seconds or so.... no complaints.... but you know I can always use a back up.... roflmao.gif

--------------------
"you are as sick as your secrets...." -quote from Celebrity Rehab-

+Quote Post
Pickle
post Sep 29 2007, 08:11 AM
Post #140

1,000 + posts
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,960

Dallas,

Simple question: Does Jim Gilley plan on getting to the bottom of the various issues that have been raised? If yes, he is part of the solution. If no, he is part of the problem.

Based on the third paragraph of your original post, the answer appears to be no. Is that correct?

If he doesn't plan on getting to the bottom of the various issues, he never should have taken the job. Getting to the bottom of things is one of the most essential qualifications needed at this time, and if he doesn't want to do that, he isn't qualified for the job.

Notice how the newspaper account above said that Danny Shelton requested that the board appoint Jim Gilley. Since when does someone like Danny get to do a thing like that, if that really is the truth? We have in that claim evidence that it's business as usual at 3ABN.

And why would Danny pick Jim Gilley? Did Danny think that Gilley wasn't going to get to the bottom of things?

+Quote Post
watchbird
post Sep 29 2007, 09:09 AM
Post #141

1,000 + posts
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,712

QUOTE(Dallas @ Sep 27 2007, 10:56 PM) *
No, please do elaborate! This is more of the same kind of thing that I see all over, you
make an insinuation about someone’s character then you try to hide behind “doing the
Christian thing” and not elaborating on someone else’s faults!

So if you have any real proof let’s see it, put it out there on the table, just make sure it is not
something you have fabricated! Or is hear say!! SHOW ME THE PROOF!! Or stop insinuating that
you know something you don’t!! This is the type of garbage that you put out, you begin by making
people doubt the credibility of someone. Then you start tearing down people who have done
nothing to you!!! So I challenge you PUT UP or SHUT UP!!

For your information Jim Gilley worked many years fulltime as the Texas Conference Evangelist and
for a time as the Senior Pastor of the Arlington SDA Church for $1, I repeat one dollar as his
salary for the entire year while he ran his own business to pay for his ministry, most of the money
that funded the supplies and equipment for that ministry came out of his own pocket.

I’d like to say if you are going to attack Jim Gilley’s integrity you better start in another place.
That flag won’t fly here!

How interesting. A man paying for the position of minister of a church rather than being paid by the church. I've heard of volunteer ministers. I've heard of retired ministers who acted as part of the ministerial staff even though not paid. But I have NEVER before heard of a man taking a paid position as Senior Pastor for only $1 per year. This is a VERY unusual business arrangement for an SDA church Senior Pastor position!

Excuse you... but you have yourself raised a "flag" here that raises some very significant questions. Do tell us more.

.......... TVsnack.gif...........

+Quote Post
Observer
post Sep 29 2007, 09:20 AM
Post #142

500 + posts
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,664

QUOTE(watchbird @ Sep 29 2007, 09:09 AM) *
How interesting. A man paying for the position of minister of a church rather than being paid by the church. I've heard of volunteer ministers. I've heard of retired ministers who acted as part of the ministerial staff even though not paid. But I have NEVER before heard of a man taking a paid position as Senior Pastor for only $1 per year. This is a VERY unusual business arrangement for an SDA church Senior Pastor position!

Excuse you... but you have yourself raised a "flag" here that raises some very significant questions. Do tell us more.

There are SDA ministers who wish to persue business interests outside of what would normally be appropriate for a SDA pastor. In those cases, the minsiter has offered to work for the Conference for a nomilnal fee, with the understanding that the pastor could persue thsoe business interests at the same time.

As one example of this, I am aware of a SDA pastor who has some standing in the denominaaiton. He once (about 20 years ago) asked the Conference to allow him to be the President of a company that was selling bottled water. In this case, the Conference refused, and the pastor remains a congregational pastor to this day.

There are other such examples. In some cases the respective Conference has refused to allow it, and in other cases the pastor has been allowed to do so.

It should also be noted that there have been cases in which a SDA evangelist has organized a business entity to support evangelism, and special arrangement have been worked out in regard to Conference employment, and payments. OFten these have benefited the denomination in that the denomination was limited in regard to the accrued expenses, and they benefited the evangelist in that regard to the authority to make financial decisions, expendatures, rental fo facilities and purchase of equipment.

--------------------
Gregory Matthews posts here under the name "Observer."

+Quote Post
YogusBearus
post Sep 29 2007, 09:27 AM
Post #143

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,905

QUOTE(Pickle @ Sep 29 2007, 09:11 AM) *
Dallas,

Simple question: Does Jim Gilley plan on getting to the bottom of the various issues that have been raised? If yes, he is part of the solution. If no, he is part of the problem.

Based on the third paragraph of your original post, the answer appears to be no. Is that correct?

If he doesn't plan on getting to the bottom of the various issues, he never should have taken the job. Getting to the bottom of things is one of the most essential qualifications needed at this time, and if he doesn't want to do that, he isn't qualified for the job.

Notice how the newspaper account above said that Danny Shelton requested that the board appoint Jim Gilley. Since when does someone like Danny get to do a thing like that, if that really is the truth? We have in that claim evidence that it's business as usual at 3ABN.

And why would Danny pick Jim Gilley? Did Danny think that Gilley wasn't going to get to the bottom of things?

Bob, I'm having some difficulty tracking this. Other than providing competent leadership to 3ABN, what specifically does Pastor Gilley need to do to satisfy you?

-bear

--------------------

+Quote Post
summertime
post Sep 29 2007, 02:57 PM
Post #144

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,655

[/quote]

I heard the latter part of the sermon preached by Pastor Gilley at the 3ABN Campmeetimg this morning and I was quit impressed for the good. However, someone told me that earlier, upon the commencement of his sermon, that he had made the statement that 3ABN would be run like a ministry instead of like a club. Was it true that he made this statement? Also I am wondering if Pastor Gilley will continue to be paid by the GC as an ordained minister as well as the usual compensation of the President/CEO of 3ABN? I would assume that he would not be paid for both. Will he be able to maintain his credentials as an ordained pastor while being employed at 3ABN as President/CEO? Again, today I quite enjoyed his sermon.

+Quote Post
appletree
post Sep 29 2007, 04:13 PM
Post #145

Advanced Member

Member No.: 4,244

QUOTE(Pickle @ Sep 29 2007, 09:11 AM) *
Dallas,

Bob, if only you had made your reservations known sooner.....I'm sure the board would never have hired Jim if it made you unhappy. Maybe you should have made your guidelines clearer. Why don't you try putting your complaints in an email and maybe they will consider firing Jim and hiring someone that you recommend.

+Quote Post
appletree
post Sep 29 2007, 04:20 PM
Post #146

Advanced Member

Member No.: 4,244

QUOTE(watchbird @ Sep 29 2007, 10:09 AM) *

Excuse you....the only flag raised here is by you. How anyone, even you, could fault a man for not taking pay for pastoring is beyond me. My understanding is that he had a very successful outside business so had no need for conference monies. Though most would have accepted the pay regardless, he chose not to. Only you WB would read something sinister into a situation like that.

+Quote Post
Pickle
post Sep 29 2007, 07:53 PM
Post #147

1,000 + posts
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,960

QUOTE(YogusBearus @ Sep 29 2007, 10:27 AM) *
Bob, I'm having some difficulty tracking this. Other than providing competent leadership to 3ABN, what specifically does Pastor Gilley need to do to satisfy you?

-bear

Not much, bear.

But I do believe the situation demands a leader who will not ignore the various allegations that have been raised. My question to Dallas is basically whether Gilley will deal with the issues that have been raised.

QUOTE(summertime @ Sep 29 2007, 03:57 PM) *
I heard the latter part of the sermon preached by Pastor Gilley at the 3ABN Campmeetimg this morning and I was quit impressed for the good. ... Again, today I quite enjoyed his sermon.

Hmm. Maybe that answers my question. Did I see wrong yesterday or Thursday on the 3ABN.org TV schedule that Danny was supposed to preach the sermon this morning? Maybe I saw wrong, but that's what I thought I saw.

+Quote Post
Observer
post Sep 29 2007, 07:54 PM
Post #148

500 + posts
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,664

QUOTE(summertime @ Sep 29 2007, 02:57 PM) *
I heard the latter part of the sermon preached by Pastor Gilley at the 3ABN Campmeetimg this morning and I was quit impressed for the good. However, someone told me that earlier, upon the commencement of his sermon, that he had made the statement that 3ABN would be run like a ministry instead of like a club. Was it true that he made this statement? Also I am wondering if Pastor Gilley will continue to be paid by the GC as an ordained minister as well as the usual compensation of the President/CEO of 3ABN? I would assume that he would not be paid for both. Will he be able to maintain his credentials as an ordained pastor while being employed at 3ABN as President/CEO? Again, today I quite enjoyed his sermon.

In general, with some exceptions, SDA clergy are paid by the local Conference. As Jim Gilley is a credentialed SDA pastor, he will lkely be able to keep his ministerial credentials if he wishes. In that case, it is likely that he could be paid by the IL Conference, with 3-ABN sending such money to the IL Conference. If that were to happen, he would recieve the typical ministerial salery, as paid in the IL Conference.

It is also possible that he would not be paid as a IL minister, and would be paid the 3-ABN Board approved salery for the President.

In reality, the choice is likely to be his.

If he is paid as President, whast should that salery be? As I have previously stated, I will suggest that the President of 3-ABN, whoever that is, to include Danny, should be paid a salery in the range of 80 to 85 thousand dolalrs a year. I think that would be fair and apropriate. I also think that all other employees at 3-ABN should be paid what is fair and appropriate, regardless of what they do. The Bible tells us that the perso who works for the Lord is worthy of their pay. I also think that there should be appropriate benefit packages for all employees. In addition, The wage scales should be public.

NOTE: The salery that I have recommended for the 3-ABN President is higher than the ministerial salery paid to IL Conference ministers.

--------------------
Gregory Matthews posts here under the name "Observer."

+Quote Post
Panama_Pete
post Sep 29 2007, 08:40 PM
Post #149

500 + posts
Group Icon

Member No.: 522

QUOTE(appletree @ Sep 29 2007, 05:20 PM) *
Excuse you....the only flag raised here is by you. How anyone, even you, could fault a man for not taking pay for pastoring is beyond me. My understanding is that he had a very successful outside business so had no need for conference monies. Though most would have accepted the pay regardless, he chose not to. Only you WB would read something sinister into a situation like that.

I think the operative word Watchbird used was "questions," not "sinister." I can think of a number of questions I would have when a person, who assumes the title of President of 3ABN, has a "successful outside business," if such is the case as you described above.

1. Is there to be a relationship between Three Angels Broadcasting Network, Inc., and that "outside" business of any kind?

2. If there is any sort of relationship between 3ABN and the "successful outside business," does the relationship exist in written, contractual form, to avoid any possible problems or misunderstandings down the road?

3. If there is a formal relationship between the successful outside business and 3ABN, will the typical TV and Radio viewers and listeners be informed of that relationship?

4. Is there anything along the lines of "full disclosure" so that when a person does business with either 3ABN or the "successful outside business," the person(s) or financial backer(s) involved will have a full knowledge and understanding of which parties are involved?

I would think a business lawyer would have a longer list of concerns, but my point is that the word "flag" does not necessarily mean "sinister." We've already seen the aborted "uniting" of 3ABN and Amazing Facts, so these questions or "flags" only make sense to many people who have been following along.

I, personally, would like to see financial transparency at all of the various Adventist and "non-denominational" ministries whether they be associated with the General Conference or independent.

+Quote Post
YogusBearus
post Sep 29 2007, 09:34 PM
Post #150

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,905

QUOTE(Pickle @ Sep 29 2007, 08:53 PM) *
Not much, bear.

But I do believe the situation demands a leader who will not ignore the various allegations that have been raised. My question to Dallas is basically whether Gilley will deal with the issues that have been raised.

Hmm. Maybe that answers my question. Did I see wrong yesterday or Thursday on the 3ABN.org TV schedule that Danny was supposed to preach the sermon this morning? Maybe I saw wrong, but that's what I thought I saw.

Fair enough. I presume we're talking about the issues that have been raised by you and Mr. Joy. Just what is it that we're expecting Pastor Gilley to do about these issues?

-bear

--------------------

+Quote Post

30 Pages V  « < 8 9 10 11 12 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd March 2008 - 01:47 PM
Design by: Download IPB Skins & eBusiness
BlackSDA has no official affiliation or endorsement from the Seventh-day Adventist church