Archive of http://www.blacksda.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=18959&st=75 preserved for the defense in 3ABN and Danny Shelton v. Joy and Pickle.
Links altered to maintain their integrity and aid in navigation, but content otherwise unchanged.
Saved at 02:32:30 PM on March 23, 2008.
IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

8 Pages V  « < 4 5 6 7 8 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Factually Challenged?, Has Walt Thompson got the inside track or outside dilusion?
Noahswife
post Jan 14 2008, 01:17 PM
Post #76

500 + posts
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,683

QUOTE(runner4him @ Jan 14 2008, 12:45 PM) *
After reading this email from Walt Thompson I am very concerned with his statement regarding his son, FHB.... "He has been one of the few who have been willing to sacrifice reputation, professional career, family, and whatever was needed to stand for truth - at the hand of some of you who have had no such conscience of right and wrong."

This statement sounds to me like Walt Thompson is saying BSDA and the ones on this forum have caused this great heartache for his son and the loss of his marriage, career, reputation or does Walt Thompson mean the defendents of the 3ABN law suit have caused these problems?

Does anyone know what this all means? I am dismayed and troubled by all this. sad.gif

R4H,

I have appreciated many of your posts here at BSDA. As you might sense from mine, I try to be very particular about details.

How did you come to the conclusion from this email from WT that he is suggesting that BSDA members or the defendent's in the 3abn lawsuit caused FHB the loss of his marriage? Can you show me where that is stated? I do find how the WT email was posted difficult to read due to the color and spacing.

nw

This post has been edited by Noahswife: Jan 14 2008, 01:20 PM

--------------------
“I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.” C.S. Lewis

"To love means loving the unlovable. To forgive means pardoning the unpardonable. Faith means believing the unbelievable. Hope means hoping when everything seems hopeless." G. K. Chesterton
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
PeacefulBe
post Jan 14 2008, 01:23 PM
Post #77

1,000 + posts
Group Icon

Member No.: 2,169

QUOTE(Seraphim7 @ Jan 14 2008, 10:43 AM) *

ques·tion (kwschn0
n.
a. An expression of inquiry that invites or calls for a reply.
b. An interrogative sentence, phrase, or gesture.
de·duce (d-ds, -dys)
tr.v. de·duced, de·duc·ing, de·duc·es
1. To reach (a conclusion) by reasoning.
2. To infer from a general principle; reason deductively: deduced from the laws of physics that the new airplane would fly.

I asked a question. I don't know where you got "deduced" from, but it wasn't from what I stated. Let's try again shall we. blink.gif

My bad. Sorry. You are correct. I am wrong.

Let's try again.

Oooo kay, so does this mean that the "urban" programing, that was claimed to be in the works, been scratched altogether?

Is that not a demographic they wish to target? Or are those people not worth the time or money they would have to invest for such an endeavor?

1. What post on this thread has caused you to raise the question that the "urban" channel may have been scratched?
2. What post on this thread would cause you to question whether the possible scratchers of the "urban" channel are not finding the target demographic worth the time or money to invest in the endeavor?

IOW, where did your questions come from? I didn't see anything on the thread referring to a scratching of the urban channel. Sorry I posed my original post in a manner that you found offensive, improper or unacceptable.

--------------------
Got Peace?

John 14:27 Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid.

"Truth welcomes examination and doesn't need to defend itself, while deception hides in darkness and blames everyone else." Aunt B, 2007

+Quote Post
lurker
post Jan 14 2008, 02:04 PM
Post #78

Advanced Member

Member No.: 676

QUOTE(Noahswife @ Jan 14 2008, 02:17 PM) *
R4H,

I have appreciated many of your posts here at BSDA. As you might sense from mine, I try to be very particular about details.

How did you come to the conclusion from this email from WT that he is suggesting that BSDA members or the defendent's in the 3abn lawsuit caused FHB the loss of his marriage? Can you show me where that is stated? I do find how the WT email was posted difficult to read due to the color and spacing.

nw

Noah's Wife, you may want to copy and paste the WT email into a word processing document and change the font and color etc. I sometimes have to do this because of my aging eyes.

I think the reference is to the following quote from the email:

"He has been one of the few who have been willing to sacrifice reputation, professional career, family, and whatever was needed to stand for truth - at the hand of some of you who have had no such conscience of right and wrong."

This post has been edited by lurker: Jan 14 2008, 02:12 PM

+Quote Post
Noahswife
post Jan 14 2008, 02:27 PM
Post #79

500 + posts
Group Icon

Member No.: 2,683

QUOTE(lurker @ Jan 14 2008, 03:04 PM) *
Noah's Wife, you may want to copy and paste the WT email into a word processing document and change the font and color etc. I sometimes have to do this because of my aging eyes.

I think the reference is to the following quote from the email:

"He has been one of the few who have been willing to sacrifice reputation, professional career, family, and whatever was needed to stand for truth - at the hand of some of you who have had no such conscience of right and wrong."

Lurker~

Thank you for your suggestion regarding reformatting the email by WT and I had done so for my own use.

You though have missed my point. If R4H had used the word family, I would not have had a problem with the question. However I do not believe the two words have identical meanings. It is this type of word substitution by many posters (and I am not implying R4H has done so with any intent to spin although that often happens in posts here in the 3abn area by some) that creates problems in communicating with each other.

Can we stick to what Walt actually said rather than possibly setting up a situation where someone else quotes R4H and spins off on a tangent which is not something I am sure R4H intended with her word substitution. I was attempting based on her past posts to give her the benefit of the doubt.

nw

This post has been edited by Noahswife: Jan 14 2008, 02:31 PM

--------------------
“I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.” C.S. Lewis

"To love means loving the unlovable. To forgive means pardoning the unpardonable. Faith means believing the unbelievable. Hope means hoping when everything seems hopeless." G. K. Chesterton

+Quote Post
runner4him
post Jan 14 2008, 03:21 PM
Post #80

Advanced Member

Member No.: 3,427

QUOTE(Noahswife @ Jan 14 2008, 03:27 PM) *
Lurker~

Thank you for your suggestion regarding reformatting the email by WT and I had done so for my own use.

You though have missed my point. If R4H had used the word family, I would not have had a problem with the question. However I do not believe the two words have identical meanings. It is this type of word substitution by many posters (and I am not implying R4H has done so with any intent to spin although that often happens in posts here in the 3abn area by some) that creates problems in communicating with each other.

Can we stick to what Walt actually said rather than possibly setting up a situation where someone else quotes R4H and spins off on a tangent which is not something I am sure R4H intended with her word substitution. I was attempting based on her past posts to give her the benefit of the doubt.

nw

NW,

I am sorry if it looked like I was trying to spin since that was definitely not my intention at all. I should not have substituted the word marriage for family and did not do it with any sinister thought in mind. I am genuinely concerned that FHB has been hurt by whatever transpired. I can assume from Dr. Thompson's comments that FHB is very close to his parents and his reference to losing his family did not mean estrangement from parents. Sometimes I am guilty of trying to read between the lines and I substituted the word without thinking.

Now as to my thinking Dr. Thompson was referring to those possibly on this forum or the defendents having caused this terrible loss for FHB - he states the following:

"Nor do I agree with him for joining in the frivolity of his post (and similar posts by others). He is of age, and need not share his thoughts (and posts) with me. Having said this, I wish to make it clear that I am proud of FHB's sense of justice and desire for truth to be told. Were it not for him and a few others who have often not been permitted to post "sensitive" comments, many who read the forums would remain in the dark regarding the truth of the matters at hand. He has been one of the few who have been willing to sacrifice reputation, professional career, family, and whatever was needed to stand for truth - at the hand of some of you who have had no such conscience of right and wrong. (And though a few of you may be innocent, others of you are not, and you know who you are!) Even if everything negative that has been posted against 3abn and its leadership were true, (which it is not) that evil would not begin to compare with the demonic tactics being used by some of you.

I do not think I am jumping to conclusions regarding his feelings about this forum or the people using this forum since Dr. Thompson wanted his email posted on this web site and then he uses the words above to send a message to the readers and posters of this forum. He refers to us or whomever as "some of you"...."demonic tactics being used by some of you" and the loss of FHB seems to me to be blamed on either the ones here or possibly the defendents when I read the statement ...."at the hand of some of you who have had no such conscience of right and wrong".

Does this make sense or am I way off the target?

+Quote Post
Seraphim7
post Jan 14 2008, 03:29 PM
Post #81

Heiress Josey
Group Icon

Group: Charter Member
Member No.: 6

QUOTE(PeacefulBe @ Jan 14 2008, 02:23 PM) *
My bad. Sorry. You are correct. I am wrong.

Let's try again.
1. What post on this thread has caused you to raise the question that the "urban" channel may have been scratched?
2. What post on this thread would cause you to question whether the possible scratchers of the "urban" channel are not finding the target demographic worth the time or money to invest in the endeavor?

IOW, where did your questions come from? I didn't see anything on the thread referring to a scratching of the urban channel. Sorry I posed my original post in a manner that you found offensive, improper or unacceptable.

understood... smile.gif

--------------------
WELCOME to BlackSDA from seraph|m, a BSDA Charter member.
Please Join us in The Married Forum and/or Sabbath School Lesson Study forums.

Then, come join us here, Live Chat Lesson Study ,for our Friday night study @ 8pm CST/9pm EST. The lesson can be found at Sabbath School Network (SSNET)

Motto- "Weapons of Mass Distraction, Have No Place Here. " "Qui tacet consentire videtur,"
Are not official staff mottos and are not endorsed by BSDA Management.

+Quote Post
Johann
post Jan 14 2008, 04:55 PM
Post #82

1,000 + posts
Group Icon

From: Iceland, formerly Denmark, Norway, USA, Sierra Leone, Nigeria, Faeroe Islands. Bound for Heaven.
Member No.: 686

QUOTE(sonshineonme @ Jan 14 2008, 03:28 AM) *

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Jan 11, 2008 8:42 AM
Subject: a request!
To: **************

Dear **************, Since you** have felt free to post my e mails in the past (against my better judgment), I would appreciate it if you would now post this one, unedited, and unchanged. For reasons that I think I have made quite clear to those I have corresponded with, I do not believe the Internet is the place to resolve conflicts of the nature that 3abn has experienced in recent years. Therefore, it is with a certain reticence that I make this request to you. Nor is it because my name has been posted as the source of FHB's information - but only to clarify a few issues that have arisen by that post. It is true that I am the father of FHB - a fact that many of you have known for a long time, having obtained the information fraudulently. The fact is, FHB has obtained his information from the same sources as most everyone else --by scratching for it - not from me. In fact, the assumption stated in the recent post is the very reason that I have not revealed private things to him. Yes, FHB may have one advantage over some of you. From childhood, I have reminded him of the farmhand in Uncle Arthur's Bedtime Stories who could "sleep through the storm." He knew that if he did his job right, he need not worry about the things that might happen during the night. FHB knows that that farmhand has been one whom I have emulated through life, so that when I told FHB I could sleep through the storm, he knew he need not fear. Nor do I agree with him for joining in the frivolity of his post (and similar posts by others). He is of age, and need not share his thoughts (and posts) with me. Having said this, I wish to make it clear that I am proud of FHB's sense of justice and desire for truth to be told. Were it not for him and a few others who have often not been permitted to post "sensitive" comments, many who read the forums would remain in the dark regarding the truth of the matters at hand. He has been one of the few who have been willing to sacrifice reputation, professional career, family, and whatever was needed to stand for truth - at the hand of some of you who have had no such conscience of right and wrong. (And though a few of you may be innocent, others of you are not, and you know who you are!) Even if everything negative that has been posted against 3abn and its leadership were true, (which it is not) that evil would not begin to compare with the demonic tactics being used by some of you. I have received considerable criticism for 3ABN taking certain persons to court in our attempts to tell the truth regarding events of recent years. Some express the belief that it is a sin to use the court system in the search for truth, implying thereby that it is morally, legally and ethically right to destroy innocent people and ministries via the Internet forums, e -mails, etc. where there are few governing laws and virtually no moral restraints, but that it is evil to use legitimate systems established to determine truth and promote justice. I fail to understand this sense of righteousness. What seems to have been over-looked here is that people, human beings for whom Jesus paid the infinite price, are being lost - while we play our little games. Matters it not that our Lord loves each one of us, and is not in favor of any one of us missing the glories He is preparing? Have you no such love for one another? Ought we all not rather be on our knees before the King of the Universe, pleading for the salvation of each other? Yes, I have stood beside the people at 3abn and defended them based upon what I have seen and experienced there, but it has not been without a deep sense of sadness for all of those who are hurting and/or misled. You are daily, and often many times daily, in my prayers, not asking God to strike any one of you with injury or death, but that somehow, you might find the peace and joy of knowing Him for who He really is - our Savior - who also desires to be our very best friend. We are living on the very edge of eternity. It is no time for any of us to be playing games. For none of us must be missing in that glad day. I am most grateful for those of you who, though perhaps confused as to what to believe, have joined in with frequent prayers of intercession, for 3ABN and for its determined enemies. Thank you--God is not deaf to our pleas! This note is submitted in the precious name of our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ, Walter Thompson MD Chairman, 3abn Board of Directors

It seems clear that this letter shows Dr. Walter Thompson in a nutshell. I still have the picture of this industious young man moving quietly through the dormitory at Emmanuel Missionary College, not causing a ripple on a tranquil sea. He left that to others more outspoken and independent individuals. This is also a picture given to me of him by some of his classmates all through Wisconsin Academy and EMC.

We had excellent Bible teachers in those days, and they left an impress also on Walt. You see how he developed a great interest in prophetic studies, as evidenced in Walt's web page (which Gregory has given us a link to right here on BSDA).

Some years back my brother-in-law, who was Walt's classmate, told me he had met Walt on one of his extended trips. Walt had shared with him his great enthusiasm for Christian TV, and this great interest in proclaiming the Advent message through TV paved his way to becoming the chairman of the board of 3ABN. Besides this I believe Walt has given medical treatments to poor patients in the Chicago area free of charge for years. I understand he has had an interesting Sabbath School class and served as elder in his home church. So there is no doubt Walt has done a lot of good in his lifetime.

When I started working for 3ABN Owen Troy was my mentor, and we worked closely together, discussing various plans of advancement in Europe for 3ABN. Unfortunately Owen got sick and could no longer be the valuable coworker he had been until them. Then I discussed, mainly with Mollie, and also with Danny, how I should continue my work. It was suggested - or decided - that I should then work in cooperation with Walt. Walt tried to be as helpful as he could, and he seemed to think he knew just what to do, but I soon discovered that he was no help at all. Why? Because he never knew the first thing about what was going on, neither at 3ABN, nor in the world of Adventism, and therfore his suggestions were useless.

When I tried to tell him what church leaders were telling me, he would not listen, because he knew better what church leaders were supposed to tell me. Under such conditions it is very difficult to work.

This letter show that Walt has a Chrisitan background, that he is convinced he is honest. I will give him the benefit of agreeing with him that he is honest to what he believes is right. I will also say that he feels his honesty lies in his loyalty, in believing that Danny Shelton is a man appointed by God, and therefore he is telling the truth.

This is what I believed too, until a very sad experience told me I was mistaken as to Danny Shelton's truthfulness. I do not know if Walt has made any such discovery yet, but he still seems to be too loyal to admit it. So shall we say we still admire him for his loyalty?

Walt states he has sued two people. Why? Is it because he knows the facts, or is it because he believes every word that comes from the mouth of Danny Shelton as the truth?

When Walt and I started communication about the divorce, I soon discovered that every fact I submitted to him, even though I had done quite a bit of research to make sure I was making a true statement, was regarded as hearsay or rumors by Walt. At the same time he would make statements which my thorough research told me could never have happened, and yet nothing could convince him it was anything but solid truth. This tells me we will never receive any help in discovering what is the truth from that source, unless a great change takes place. Is it wrong of us to hope?

--------------------
"Any fact that needs to be disclosed should be put out now or as quickly as possible, because otherwise the bleeding will not end." (Attributed to Henry Kissinger)

"He who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetrate it" (Martin Luther King)

"The truth can lose nothing by close investigation". (1888 Materials 38)

+Quote Post
Seraphim7
post Jan 14 2008, 04:58 PM
Post #83

Heiress Josey
Group Icon

QUOTE(lurker @ Jan 14 2008, 02:08 PM) *
Actually some of the sets in use now at 3ABN are virtual or computer generated sets. The actors are performing in front of blank or blue screens. I don't know why kids time couldn't do this with minimal real props.

And the urban channel seemed to me to be the carrot in front of the horse. Only promised as long as it was anticipated to have the desired effect. When the prospect of one didn't seem to be getting anyone excited other things were given priority and it was allowed to die a quiet death.

Is this a guess/assumption on your part lurker? Just trying to get an answer from someone who would have some solid information/answers.

This response says to me that the Holy Spirit was never in the midst of that idea. As I understand it, a "genuine" desire to minister to the souls of others, whether in the "urban community" or not, has nothing at all to do with an "anticipated... desired effect". Anticipation of what? What desired "effect"?

Urban Channel

Who at 3abn needs to be "excited" about ministering to folks who fall into the urban demographic before they will promote fund raisers to get the urban channel off the ground?

In other words, if 3abn is truly being run by those who seek to do Gods will shouldn't they be making every effort to minister to every soul that Jesus died for, regardless of the demographics? Thatt is all I am trying to understand.

--------------------

Then, come join us here, Live Chat Lesson Study ,for our Friday night study @ 8pm CST/9pm EST. The lesson can be found at Sabbath School Network (SSNET)

Motto- "Weapons of Mass Distraction, Have No Place Here. " "Qui tacet consentire videtur,"

+Quote Post
lurker
post Jan 14 2008, 06:36 PM
Post #84

Advanced Member

Member No.: 676

No inside info. I observed that the idea got a less than enthusiastic reception when it was first introduced here. And while Danny got some prestige by rubbing elbows with Wintley, there was not as much elbow rubbing as I would have expected. But even a cool mil only goes so far these days.

This post has been edited by lurker: Jan 14 2008, 06:38 PM

+Quote Post
Daryl Fawcett
post Jan 15 2008, 09:05 AM
Post #85

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,851

QUOTE(Johann @ Jan 14 2008, 06:55 PM) *
It seems clear that this letter shows Dr. Walter Thompson in a nutshell. I still have the picture of this industious young man moving quietly through the dormitory at Emmanuel Missionary College, not causing a ripple on a tranquil sea. He left that to others more outspoken and independent individuals. This is also a picture given to me of him by some of his classmates all through Wisconsin Academy and EMC.

We had excellent Bible teachers in those days, and they left an impress also on Walt. You see how he developed a great interest in prophetic studies, as evidenced in Walt's web page (which Gregory has given us a link to right here on BSDA).

Some years back my brother-in-law, who was Walt's classmate, told me he had met Walt on one of his extended trips. Walt had shared with him his great enthusiasm for Christian TV, and this great interest in proclaiming the Advent message through TV paved his way to becoming the chairman of the board of 3ABN. Besides this I believe Walt has given medical treatments to poor patients in the Chicago area free of charge for years. I understand he has had an interesting Sabbath School class and served as elder in his home church. So there is no doubt Walt has done a lot of good in his lifetime.

When I started working for 3ABN Owen Troy was my mentor, and we worked closely together, discussing various plans of advancement in Europe for 3ABN. Unfortunately Owen got sick and could no longer be the valuable coworker he had been until them. Then I discussed, mainly with Mollie, and also with Danny, how I should continue my work. It was suggested - or decided - that I should then work in cooperation with Walt. Walt tried to be as helpful as he could, and he seemed to think he knew just what to do, but I soon discovered that he was no help at all. Why? Because he never knew the first thing about what was going on, neither at 3ABN, nor in the world of Adventism, and therfore his suggestions were useless.

When I tried to tell him what church leaders were telling me, he would not listen, because he knew better what church leaders were supposed to tell me. Under such conditions it is very difficult to work.

This letter show that Walt has a Chrisitan background, that he is convinced he is honest. I will give him the benefit of agreeing with him that he is honest to what he believes is right. I will also say that he feels his honesty lies in his loyalty, in believing that Danny Shelton is a man appointed by God, and therefore he is telling the truth.

This is what I believed too, until a very sad experience told me I was mistaken as to Danny Shelton's truthfulness. I do not know if Walt has made any such discovery yet, but he still seems to be too loyal to admit it. So shall we say we still admire him for his loyalty?

Walt states he has sued two people. Why? Is it because he knows the facts, or is it because he believes every word that comes from the mouth of Danny Shelton as the truth?

When Walt and I started communication about the divorce, I soon discovered that every fact I submitted to him, even though I had done quite a bit of research to make sure I was making a true statement, was regarded as hearsay or rumors by Walt. At the same time he would make statements which my thorough research told me could never have happened, and yet nothing could convince him it was anything but solid truth. This tells me we will never receive any help in discovering what is the truth from that source, unless a great change takes place. Is it wrong of us to hope?

So here we have it, the words and experience of Dr. Walt Thompson and the words and experience of Elder Johann T., a retired ordained minister of the SDA Church.

With the way Dr. Walt Thompson has been spinning his yarn in regards to the shut down of the save3abn site both before and after the 48 hours in which it was back up again, I have a problem with the credibility of Dr. Walt Thompson's words/statements.

Dr. Walt Thompson needs our prayers that his eyes will be opened so he will be able to discern truth from error and then act accordingly.

--------------------
In His Love, Mercy, and Grace!

Daryl Fawcett
Administrator
Maritime SDA OnLine
http://www.maritime-sda-online.com

+Quote Post
Seraphim7
post Jan 15 2008, 01:49 PM
Post #86

Heiress Josey
Group Icon

QUOTE(lurker @ Jan 14 2008, 07:36 PM) *
No inside info. I observed that the idea got a less than enthusiastic reception when it was first introduced here. And while Danny got some prestige by rubbing elbows with Wintley, there was not as much elbow rubbing as I would have expected. But even a cool mil only goes so far these days.

Thanks for what you were able to share...

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ian
post Jan 15 2008, 05:08 PM
Post #87

Advanced Member

Member No.: 4,103

After reading this email from Walt Thompson I am very concerned with his statement regarding his son, FHB.... "He has been one of the few who have been willing to sacrifice reputation, professional career, family, and whatever was needed to stand for truth - at the hand of some of you who have had no such conscience of right and wrong."

This statement sounds to me like Walt Thompson is saying BSDA and the ones on this forum have caused this great heartache for his son and the loss of his family, career, reputation or does Walt Thompson mean the defendents of the 3ABN law suit have caused these problems?

Does anyone know what this all means? I am dismayed and troubled by all this. sad.gif

Since FHB is a member here why didn't you just send him a pm and ask him? dunno.gif

+Quote Post
princessdi
post Jan 15 2008, 05:51 PM
Post #88

5,000 + posts
Group Icon

Group: Administrator
Member No.: 47

Now, that is a thought, Ian..........

--------------------
TTFN
Di

And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose---Romans 8:28

A great many people believe they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.-- William James

It is better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.- Mark Twain

+Quote Post
Seraphim7
post Jan 15 2008, 06:34 PM
Post #89

Heiress Josey
Group Icon

This statement sounds to me like Walt Thompson is saying BSDA and the ones on this forum have caused this great heartache for his son and the loss of his family, career, reputation or does Walt Thompson mean the defendents of the 3ABN law suit have caused these problems?

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Jan 11, 2008 8:42 AM
Subject: a request!
To: **************
[/size][/font] Walter Thompson MD Chairman, 3abn Board of Directors
[/size][/font]

I won't tender an opinion on what it "means". It is however my observation that the "purpose" of the statement is to lay a guilt trip on anyone who does not personally see the issues in the same light as he does. If, as noted in the email shared by sonshineonme:
...He has been one of the few who have been willing to sacrifice reputation, professional career, family, and whatever was needed to stand for truth - ...

FHB willingly "sacrificed" all those things. With that in mind, those life changing experiences came about due to "his" choices, not "because" of what has been stated here. If anyone becomes so hyper focused on the life and career of another, to the exclusion of his/her own, then he/she must take responsibility for that choice rather than attempting to lay it at the feet of others. BMTJM dunno.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
SoulEspresso
post Jan 15 2008, 07:20 PM
Post #90

500 + posts
Group Icon

Member No.: 2,262

QUOTE(Johann @ Jan 14 2008, 03:55 PM) *

QUOTE(Daryl Fawcett @ Jan 15 2008, 08:05 AM) *
Dr. Walt Thompson needs our prayers that his eyes will be opened so he will be able to discern truth from error and then act accordingly.

I don't know Dr. Walt personally, but I know people who fit the kind of description Johann has provided. I've also had the privilege to know people who have served the Truth their whole lives in much the same way. Loyalty is a very high value to people from Walt's generation, whether that's loyalty to friends, or especially loyalty to the Adventist denomination. It's also a strong characteristic for these fathers and mothers in the church not to want to see scandal even when it exists within the body of Christ. IOW they'd rather deny their own senses than see the damage to the reputation of The Work.

These characteristics are admirable, but unfortunately for many of our spiritual leaders, these characteristics have to come after facts and Biblical ethics of greater worth.

I choose to believe that Dr. Walt simply finds it impossible to believe that his friend of many years decided sometime back to listen to the voice of the enemy. Can you imagine what that would mean?

All of us have to deal with what psychologists call "The Self-Serving Bias." We all have trouble admitting we might be wrong, or might not be doing our best, or might have erred in judgment. It's even harder for people who serve the Lord, and make the decisions they do from that service, to admit such things.

These are the questions almost no one in Dr. Walt's position could ask: How could we make such terrible mistakes when our motives are so good? Forget motives -- how could we make such terrible mistakes in the midst of truly winning people over to the Lord?

.... for the life of me
I cannot remember
What made us think that we were wise
And we'd never compromise ...

--------------------
"The entire world is falling apart because no one will admit they are wrong."
--
Don Miller, Blue Like Jazz.

+Quote Post

8 Pages V  « < 4 5 6 7 8 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd March 2008 - 01:32 PM
Design by: Download IPB Skins & eBusiness
BlackSDA has no official affiliation or endorsement from the Seventh-day Adventist church