Archive of http://www.blacksda.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=19171&st=30 preserved for the defense in 3ABN and Danny Shelton v. Joy and Pickle.
Links altered to maintain their integrity and aid in navigation, but content otherwise unchanged.
Saved at 02:53:00 PM on March 23, 2008.
IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

8 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Danny Shelton, Please Come Home!, It's time to stop running
Richard Sherwin
post Jan 13 2008, 05:26 PM
Post #31

1,000 + posts
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,231

I don't know anything about the issue, and my guess is that many have not heard the story but by putting out a story, that you don't know to be true or not you've planted the idea in peoples minds that Danny inappropriately fired someone, based on a story not known to be true. Now this to me is slander, even though you did say you didn't know if you had the facts straight. You have plenty on Danny without resorting to questionable tactics and rumors to get your point across.

QUOTE(Pickle @ Jan 13 2008, 05:52 PM) *
Because that story is the only thing I know of that has a bearing on whether he is an elder or not. And that story also illustrates the conflict of interest that the church has in dealing with Danny.

That being said, if you know another reason why the guy was fired and why he was fired when he was fired, let me know.

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Richard Sherwin
post Jan 13 2008, 05:28 PM
Post #32

1,000 + posts
Group Icon

Member No.: 2,231

Well said.

QUOTE(SoulEspresso @ Jan 13 2008, 04:55 PM) *
Well, all it is at this point is a story. If I were running a full-time parachurch ministry, I might be tempted not to attend church regularly myself. But then I wouldn't be serving as elder either, I guess.

Some of the most die-hard ministry people I know very rarely are ever at church because of the nature of their supporting ministry. Danny would fall into that category, IMO.

There are plenty of sticks he gives to his detractors which they can fairly beat him with, but this isn't one of them

+Quote Post
Pickle
post Jan 13 2008, 05:32 PM
Post #33

1,000 + posts
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,960

QUOTE(Richard Sherwin @ Jan 13 2008, 05:26 PM) *
I don't know anything about the issue, and my guess is that many have not heard the story but by putting out a story, that you don't know to be true or not you've planted the idea in peoples minds that Danny inappropriately fired someone, based on a story not known to be true. Now this to me is slander, even though you did say you didn't know if you had the facts straight. You have plenty on Danny without resorting to questionable tactics and rumors to get your point across.

I understand why you feel that way. If I shared a few more details, you would feel differently.

+Quote Post
Clay
post Jan 13 2008, 05:37 PM
Post #34

5,000 + posts
Group Icon

Group: Administrator
Member No.: 4

QUOTE(Pickle @ Jan 13 2008, 05:32 PM) *
I understand why you feel that way. If I shared a few more details, you would feel differently.

fact or innuendo?

--------------------
"you are as sick as your secrets...." -quote from Celebrity Rehab-

+Quote Post
PeacefulBe
post Jan 13 2008, 05:38 PM
Post #35

1,000 + posts
Group Icon

Member No.: 2,169

QUOTE(Richard Sherwin @ Jan 13 2008, 03:26 PM) *

Richard, you and SE are making an important point about this story. I hope that everyone will ponder this as we go along.

Bob, I hope you can hear the wisdom in this and take it to heart.

--------------------
Got Peace?

John 14:27 Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid.

"Truth welcomes examination and doesn't need to defend itself, while deception hides in darkness and blames everyone else." Aunt B, 2007

+Quote Post
PeacefulBe
post Jan 13 2008, 05:47 PM
Post #36

1,000 + posts
Group Icon

Member No.: 2,169

QUOTE(Clay @ Jan 13 2008, 03:37 PM) *
fact or innuendo?

The way it is stated it is difficult to tell... but, without the facts it takes on the distinct character of innuendo, IMO.

--------------------
Got Peace?

John 14:27 Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid.

"Truth welcomes examination and doesn't need to defend itself, while deception hides in darkness and blames everyone else." Aunt B, 2007

+Quote Post
Pickle
post Jan 13 2008, 05:58 PM
Post #37

1,000 + posts
Group Icon

QUOTE(Clay @ Jan 13 2008, 05:37 PM) *
fact or innuendo?

It's a fact that there are more details, like names. I'll see if I can get permission to say more.

But even if I can get permission from the one allegedly fired, I'll still use terms like allegedly since I wasn't there and don't have confirmation from the "guilty" side. And that, I believe, has been my usual practice.

+Quote Post
Clay
post Jan 13 2008, 06:04 PM
Post #38

5,000 + posts
Group Icon

QUOTE(Pickle @ Jan 13 2008, 05:58 PM) *
It's a fact that there are more details, like names. I'll see if I can get permission to say more.

But even if I can get permission from the one allegedly fired, I'll still use terms like allegedly since I wasn't there and don't have confirmation from the "guilty" side. And that, I believe, has been my usual practice.

the allegedly guilty side.... as for your usual practice.... hmmmmm... scratchchin.gif I'll leave that one alone...

--------------------

+Quote Post
SoulEspresso
post Jan 13 2008, 06:24 PM
Post #39

500 + posts
Group Icon

Member No.: 2,262

QUOTE(Clay @ Jan 13 2008, 05:04 PM) *
the allegedly guilty side.... as for your usual practice.... hmmmmm... scratchchin.gif I'll leave that one alone...

I won't. no.gif

Bob and Gailon have done an admirable job in tackling areas that are documented or have eyewitnesses, and for that the Adventist church owes you guys. You stood up to the powers at 3ABN when nobody else would.

But there are areas, Bob, where you guys have resorted to questionable tactics, such as posting stuff on save3abn.com about people whom you don't know to be players, but doing so in such a way as to cast doubt on their characters. Then there were the Nick Miller communiques.

Not only do responsible believers have to do the right thing ... they have to do the right thing in the right way.

I've seen enough to draw my own conclusions about Danny, but these kinds of unsubstantiated and/or peripheral issues do not make you or your cause look better to the people who are following this.

--------------------
"The entire world is falling apart because no one will admit they are wrong."
--
Don Miller, Blue Like Jazz.

+Quote Post
Clay
post Jan 13 2008, 06:32 PM
Post #40

5,000 + posts
Group Icon

QUOTE(SoulEspresso @ Jan 13 2008, 06:24 PM) *
I won't. no.gif

Bob and Gailon have done an admirable job in tackling areas that are documented or have eyewitnesses, and for that the Adventist church owes you guys. You stood up to the powers at 3ABN when nobody else would.

But there are areas, Bob, where you guys have resorted to questionable tactics, such as posting stuff on save3abn.com about people whom you don't know to be players, but doing so in such a way as to cast doubt on their characters. Then there were the Nick Miller communiques.

Not only do responsible believers have to do the right thing ... they have to do the right thing in the right way.

I've seen enough to draw my own conclusions about Danny, but these kinds of unsubstantiated and/or peripheral issues do not make you or your cause look better to the people who are following this.

you summarized much better than I could.... thanks..... spoton.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
sister
post Jan 13 2008, 07:49 PM
Post #41

500 + posts
Group Icon

Member No.: 762

QUOTE(Richard Sherwin @ Jan 13 2008, 06:26 PM) *

This is not slander, I know the story that Bob mentioned and the individual involved. It is true. Perhaps it is time for another Chapter in "An Unauthorized History of 3ABN". The person in question is an ordained Seventh-day Adventist Pastor who was employed at 3ABN in the same capacity that Johann would later fill. At that time he opposed Danny Shelton being re-elected as an elder of the Thompsonville SDA Church, on the basis that the office of elder is not an honorary position and Danny did not meet the requirements of an elder. There is more to the story and it gives additional insight into the character of Danny Shelton... I will not rely on my memory to supply the details, but will contact the individual involved for more of the facts.

+Quote Post
Pickle
post Jan 13 2008, 08:03 PM
Post #42

1,000 + posts
Group Icon

Why thank you, Sister.

QUOTE(SoulEspresso @ Jan 13 2008, 06:24 PM) *

Lots of people have complained, "Why doesn't the church do anything?" The conflict of interest issue at the Thompsonville Church, as illustrated by that story, addresses that concern. So it isn't really a peripheral issue, and it touches on another alleged case of wrongful termination. People should be fired from 3ABN for serious problems on the job, not for speaking their convictions at church.

+Quote Post
SoulEspresso
post Jan 13 2008, 08:43 PM
Post #43

500 + posts
Group Icon

Member No.: 2,262

QUOTE(Pickle @ Jan 13 2008, 07:03 PM) *
Lots of people have complained, "Why doesn't the church do anything?" The conflict of interest issue at the Thompsonville Church, as illustrated by that story, addresses that concern. So it isn't really a peripheral issue, and it touches on another alleged case of wrongful termination. People should be fired from 3ABN for serious problems on the job, not for speaking their convictions at church.

I agree with the principle you stated here. Perhaps it was the way you put this particular issue earlier that raised my hackles. You've documented a lot of abuse-of-power issues at 3ABN and Thompsonville, but there wasn't enough information with this story initially to connect it to that. Even if it wasn't intended on your part, it came across at first as innuendo rather than substantiating facts. IOW at least with this kind of event, IMO, reporting with key facts omitted is counterproductive to your goals. Sister's corroboration was helpful up to a point.

But I would implore you both to remember that the ends don't justify the means, because the ends are up to God. All we down here have are means, and we've got to use the right ones.

This post has been edited by SoulEspresso: Jan 13 2008, 08:43 PM

--------------------
"The entire world is falling apart because no one will admit they are wrong."
--
Don Miller, Blue Like Jazz.

+Quote Post
Clay
post Jan 13 2008, 08:47 PM
Post #44

5,000 + posts
Group Icon

QUOTE(sister @ Jan 13 2008, 07:49 PM) *
This is not slander, I know the story that Bob mentioned and the individual involved. It is true. Perhaps it is time for another Chapter in "An Unauthorized History of 3ABN". The person in question is an ordained Seventh-day Adventist Pastor who was employed at 3ABN in the same capacity that Johann would later fill. At that time he opposed Danny Shelton being re-elected as an elder of the Thompsonville SDA Church, on the basis that the office of elder is not an honorary position and Danny did not meet the requirements of an elder. There is more to the story and it gives additional insight into the character of Danny Shelton... I will not rely on my memory to supply the details, but will contact the individual involved for more of the facts.

Is this same scenario played and replayed in various adventist churches throughout North America? The nominating committee is stacked a certain way, nominating the favorites, ignoring the qualified? While not minimizing what may have happened in the Thompsonville church, the story is all too familiar...

--------------------

+Quote Post
watchbird
post Jan 13 2008, 09:01 PM
Post #45

1,000 + posts
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,712

QUOTE(sister @ Jan 13 2008, 08:49 PM) *

Thank you for speaking up Sister... and yes... please do give us another Chapter in "An Unauthorized History of 3ABN." We have been missing your enlightening accounts of what you have witnessed first hand.

+Quote Post

8 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd March 2008 - 01:53 PM
Design by: Download IPB Skins & eBusiness
BlackSDA has no official affiliation or endorsement from the Seventh-day Adventist church