Archive of http://www.blacksda.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=8572&st=435 preserved for the defense in 3ABN and Danny Shelton v. Joy and Pickle.
Links altered to maintain their integrity and aid in navigation, but content otherwise unchanged.
Saved at 02:50:10 PM on March 23, 2008.
IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

49 Pages V  « < 28 29 30 31 32 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Danny Shelton Marries....again, 3abn
princessdi
post Apr 27 2006, 10:50 PM
Post #436

5,000 + posts
Group Icon

Group: Administrator
Member No.: 47

There is no problem......if he actually started dating Brandi after he thought the Guam divorce was final. But the facts seem to point to he and Brandi being involved a long time before his marriage ended. Now if someone could clear that up it would be nice.

Maybe it is just me, but a rushed divorce and marriage are not a good sign, especially from the one who is doing the accusing. Remember, it was Linda who was supposed to be unfaithful.........Sorry, call me a cynic, but this has Mid-life crisis written all over it. As I said before, he should have just bought a sports car.

QUOTE(calvin @ Apr 27 2006, 05:31 PM) [snapback]128300[/snapback]

Regardless of when their divorce was final, what right does anybody have in telling Danny or anyone else what is the appropriate length of time I got to wait before I can remarry? So is it three months, one year? I got biblical grounds and now legally divorced, I would have told the hold church to go jump in the lake or something like that if they brought this nonsense up to me.

--------------------
TTFN
Di

And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose---Romans 8:28

A great many people believe they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.-- William James

It is better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.- Mark Twain
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Prisca
post Apr 28 2006, 04:43 AM
Post #437

1,000 + posts
Group Icon

Group: Charter Member
Member No.: 11

I wonder if the length of time is a cultural thing. Even widowers are 'timed'. A respectful period of mourning...at least a year was always mentioned. Do we mourn divorces as well, or where do we get the mourning period. Isn't the Bible period 40 days?

+Quote Post
calvin
post Apr 28 2006, 07:10 AM
Post #438

site admin
Group Icon

Group: Owner
Member No.: 1

QUOTE(awesumtenor @ Apr 27 2006, 08:29 PM) [snapback]128301[/snapback]

Therein lies the rub; he didn't have biblical grounds and the church should have called him on it when he tried to claim he did.

You know if you or I tried to do what he's done we'd be facing church discipline... based on the church's stated position on divorce and remarriage.

In His service,
Mr. J

Kevin, you are no closer to this situation in northern Virginia than I am in Omaha, Nebraska. You don’t know with any certainly that Danny has Biblical grounds for divorce. All of us are speculating. Am I the only one here who thinks that dear sweet Linda could have possibly been cheating on Danny? Much stranger things have happened. Not defending Danny, but I don’t know and neither to any of you. Yall got pictures, taped phone conversations? It still comes down to “he said/she said”.

This scenario gets played out thousands of times in the SDA church. Linda and Danny are just public figures in our church. Look around in your church, how many are in second marriages? A ton of folks. Let’s bring it home, how many of you are in your second marriage or married to someone who has been married before. Got biblical grounds? And you probably don’t want nobody poking around trying to find out, ain’t nobodies business. When all you have is one word against another as to biblical grounds for divorce and one or both of the parties remarry then accept it and let God work it out in the end. Who are we to judge as to who is telling the truth.

+Quote Post
awesumtenor
post Apr 28 2006, 07:48 AM
Post #439

5,000 + posts
Group Icon

Member No.: 15

QUOTE(calvin @ Apr 28 2006, 09:10 AM) [snapback]128324[/snapback]

Kevin, you are no closer to this situation in northern Virginia than I am in Omaha, Nebraska. You don’t know with any certainly that Danny has Biblical grounds for divorce. All of us are speculating. Am I the only one here who thinks that dear sweet Linda could have possibly been cheating on Danny? Much stranger things have happened. Not defending Danny, but I don’t know and neither to any of you. Yall got pictures, taped phone conversations? It still comes down to “he said/she said”.

This scenario gets played out thousands of times in the SDA church. Linda and Danny are just public figures in our church. Look around in your church, how many are in second marriages? A ton of folks. Let’s bring it home, how many of you are in your second marriage or married to someone who has been married before. Got biblical grounds? And you probably don’t want nobody poking around trying to find out, ain’t nobodies business. When all you have is one word against another as to biblical grounds for divorce and one or both of the parties remarry then accept it and let God work it out in the end. Who are we to judge as to who is telling the truth.

This is what we know:

Based on the public admissions of those who are closer than we, including the principals, Linda did not commit adultery and was not planning to.

Based on the public admissions of those who are closer than we and the stated doctrine of the Seventh-day Adventist church regarding divorce and remarriage, "spiritual adultery" is a trumped up charge and has no biblical or doctrinal basis.

Ergo, given these two points, if you or I were to divorce our wives in like fashion the church would then have an obligation to place us under discipline. The fact that it happens and the church does not act does not alter this fact; it merely makes the church complicit with the errant party. It's 1Cor chapter 5 all over again where sin is open and the church is unwilling to address it... however, the Corinthian church's inaction did not legitimize the acts of that sinning member.

I am not saying remarriage is sin, in and of itself. I am saying that given the known facts, Danny's divorcing Linda was for spurious reasons at best and even if you say they were spurious but allowable, by the church's standard as noted in the Church Manual, his divorcing her did not give him the right to marry another *in the eyes of the church* and according to current church doctrine. I am not choosing sides; as you said I have no dog in this fight either... but either the church has a standard or it does not. My beef is not with Danny; it is with the church.

I suppose if this whole sordid tale tells us nothing else, it tells us that those with money can still get indulgences when they need them.

As always it is your prerogative that YMMV.

In His service,
Mr. J

--------------------
There is no one more dangerous than one who thinks he knows God with a mind that is ignorant - Dr. Lewis Anthony

You’ve got to be real comfortable in your own skin to survive the animosity your strength evokes in people you'd hope would like you. - Dr. Renita Weems

+Quote Post
Panama_Pete
post Apr 28 2006, 08:36 AM
Post #440

500 + posts
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 522

QUOTE(calvin @ Apr 28 2006, 07:10 AM) [snapback]128324[/snapback]

Am I the only one here who thinks that dear sweet Linda could have possibly been cheating on Danny?

Perhaps.

With Prince Charles, there really was a Camilla Parker Bowles who really existed. There was no mystery about it. Charles wanted Camilla and refused to part company with her.

IPB Image

When Edward, Prince of Wales, abdicated the throne for a woman, there really was a Mrs. Wallis Simpson. He refused to give her up. Mrs. Simpson really existed. There was no mystery about it.

IPB Image

So, where is this Norwegian doctor that Linda Shelton supposedly refused to give up? Shouldn't I be able to find a photo of the happy couple somewhere? After all, this is the man Linda supposedly risked everything for. Seems a 65-year-old Norwegian doctor should be around Springfield somewhere.

Show me the photo of Linda and the doctor (as a happy couple). It would really help to support your theory.

This post has been edited by Panama_Pete: Apr 28 2006, 08:55 AM

+Quote Post
princessdi
post Apr 28 2006, 08:38 AM
Post #441

5,000 + posts
Group Icon

Now, you know, a year is always mentioned. However, when I think about the number os seniors who are widows/widowers, I think that time is more crucial that with someone younger. I dont' think they should be waiting a year to make everyone else happy, it's not like the spouse is coming back, and generally these are good marriages with longevity. Why are they waiting?

QUOTE(Prisca @ Apr 28 2006, 03:43 AM) [snapback]128311[/snapback]

I wonder if the length of time is a cultural thing. Even widowers are 'timed'. A respectful period of mourning...at least a year was always mentioned. Do we mourn divorces as well, or where do we get the mourning period. Isn't the Bible period 40 days?

--------------------
TTFN
Di

And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose---Romans 8:28

A great many people believe they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.-- William James

It is better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.- Mark Twain

+Quote Post
princessdi
post Apr 28 2006, 08:52 AM
Post #442

5,000 + posts
Group Icon

We are speculating but mostly because Danny didn't say that. He has never come up her commiting adultery. What he basically accused her of was what they used to call an "affair of the heart", or alienation of affections. But at no time did he say adultery as it pertains to sex. Some how I believe he would have said it had he known it, and I don't think she would have gotten a dime. Plus there is just that nagging detail of them wanting her silenced...,for life it seems. If she was all that wrong, why do they need her silent? So it is to Danny's and 3ABN's own actions an words to which we are responding, and they say she was never unfaithful sexually.

QUOTE(calvin @ Apr 28 2006, 06:10 AM) [snapback]128324[/snapback]

--------------------
TTFN
Di

+Quote Post
Guest_statrei_*
post Apr 28 2006, 08:55 AM
Post #443

Guests

QUOTE(calvin @ Apr 28 2006, 08:10 AM) [snapback]128324[/snapback]

Am I the only one here who thinks that dear sweet Linda could have possibly been cheating on Danny?

The rest of us know that if that had been the case he would have used the resources of 3ABN to collect the evidence and accuse her of real adultery. They tracked her calls and all they could come up with was spiritual adultery. That is evidence that there was no such cheating. You don't go for a draw when you can get the win.

+Quote Post
Clay
post Apr 28 2006, 09:00 AM
Post #444

5,000 + posts
Group Icon

Member No.: 4

And if that was his response to "spiritual adultery" Lord only knows what it would have been if she had actually been caught committing adultery.... Still, even if she had committed adultery it doesn't mean there has to be a divorce... Jesus said it, "out of the hardness of your hearts.....was it even permitted."

Was the relationship that shaky that "spiritual adultery" was enough to cause him to persue divorce?

Oh and this is my first and only marriage...and I am still married to the same person I said "I Do" to back in 1990..... and it would take more than adultery spiritual or otherwise for me to consider divorce...

This post has been edited by Clay: Apr 28 2006, 09:01 AM

--------------------
"you are as sick as your secrets...." -quote from Celebrity Rehab-

+Quote Post
LadyTenor
post Apr 28 2006, 10:05 AM
Post #445

1,000 + posts
Group Icon

Member No.: 51

QUOTE(summertime @ Apr 27 2006, 05:36 PM) [snapback]128288[/snapback]

Wait a minute. If Guam granted an immediate divorce 2 years ago and it was contested here in the state--(Illinois) when did the State of Illinois make it legal for Danny to remarry? When Guam granted the divorce, or when the state of Illinois recognized it in February? Could Danny have immediately remarried while the divorce was being contested? Sounds confusing to me.

Putting on my law degree hat.....

...this is an issue that can only be described as a technicality...and while Danny could have literally remarried while the divorce was being contested, it could have been overturned because each state and territory in the US has to respect the rulings of courts outside of their states and territories...meaning if I begin divorce proceedings against my husband in Florida, I am legally not allowed to remarry in NY, or DC or wherever until the divorce is final.

Not knowing the laws of domestic relations in Guam, I can't say more than that, specifically with regard to the Sheltons...

...taking OFF my law degree hat...

QUOTE(calvin @ Apr 27 2006, 09:31 PM) [snapback]128300[/snapback]

Regardless of when their divorce was final, what right does anybody have in telling Danny or anyone else what is the appropriate length of time I got to wait before I can remarry? So is it three months, one year? I got biblical grounds and now legally divorced, I would have told the hold church to go jump in the lake or something like that if they brought this nonsense up to me.

The reason people are wondering, Calvin, is because it looks as if he might have had a relationship going with this woman before he was legally divorced...

QUOTE(Clay @ Apr 28 2006, 11:00 AM) [snapback]128342[/snapback]

And if that was his response to "spiritual adultery" Lord only knows what it would have been if she had actually been caught committing adultery.... Still, even if she had committed adultery it doesn't mean there has to be a divorce... Jesus said it, "out of the hardness of your hearts.....was it even permitted."

Was the relationship that shaky that "spiritual adultery" was enough to cause him to persue divorce?

Oh and this is my first and only marriage...and I am still married to the same person I said "I Do" to back in 1990..... and it would take more than adultery spiritual or otherwise for me to consider divorce...

I, too, am in my only marriage...and this is number two for my husband...since his wife walked out...and I know that it would take a lot more than "spiritual adultery" to walk.....

--------------------
Visit my blog--"Musings of a Black Scrapbooker"
Talia's MySpace Page

He who has My commandments and keeps them, he it is who loves Me. And he who loves Me shall be loved by My Father, and I will love him and will reveal Myself to him."
--John 14:21

Any comments on blacksda.com made by Talia A. Dickson, J.D. with respect to the law are purely academic in nature and should NOT be construed as legal advice. Mrs. Dickson is not yet authorized to practice law in any jurisdiction. Should you need legal advice for a specific issue, you are encouraged to seek out the advice of an attorney of your own choosing.

+Quote Post
simplysaved
post Apr 28 2006, 10:57 AM
Post #446

5,000 + posts
Group Icon

Member No.: 830

QUOTE(statrei @ Apr 28 2006, 08:55 AM) [snapback]128341[/snapback]

The rest of us know that if that had been the case he would have used the resources of 3ABN to collect the evidence and accuse her of real adultery. They tracked her calls and all they could come up with was spiritual adultery. That is evidence that there was no such cheating. You don't go for a draw when you can get the win.

Not necesarily...a public admission or recognition on T.V. that either had committed adultery would have destroyed the credibility of 3ABN and caused scandal on a scale like Jim Baker and Jimmy Swaggart...It could have destroyed 3ABN...

--------------------
"No weapon formed against YOU (Sarah--and every Believer/Servant of God) shall prosper and every tongue that rises against you in judgement you will condemn...."--Isaiah 54:17

+Quote Post
Guest_statrei_*
post Apr 28 2006, 11:14 AM
Post #447

Guests

QUOTE(LadyTenor @ Apr 28 2006, 11:05 AM) [snapback]128344[/snapback]

and I know that it would take a lot more than "spiritual adultery" to walk.....[/color]

Spirits don't walk. They, uhmm, float or something like that.

+Quote Post
princessdi
post Apr 28 2006, 12:51 PM
Post #448

5,000 + posts
Group Icon

I'm sorry, but Danny has been spending the poast two years playing the victim to the so called "spritual adultery", do you really think he would pass up the chance to be the jilted, cheated on husband? i think not. Remember this is the man whoa,long with his 3ABN board made everyone who had a show with Linda on it, come back and retape....immediately! This is the man who "enoucraged" Linda to sign and gag agreement promising her far less than she was owned for her part of the ministry.. Also, didnt' we just see a recent letter from the COB at 3ABN still maintaining that Linda had another man? They were already trying to accuse her of some form of adultery, publically, everytime he set foot in somebody's church, and any other opportunity they got. Believe me, if he could have , he would have.

Just one more thing.....this is not already a scandal?

QUOTE(simplysaved @ Apr 28 2006, 09:57 AM) [snapback]128353[/snapback]

Not necesarily...a public admission or recognition on T.V. that either had committed adultery would have destroyed the credibility of 3ABN and caused scandal on a scale like Jim Baker and Jimmy Swaggart...It could have destroyed 3ABN...

--------------------
TTFN
Di

+Quote Post
Zephyr
post Apr 28 2006, 01:01 PM
Post #449

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,556

QUOTE(statrei @ Apr 28 2006, 08:55 AM) [snapback]128341[/snapback]

Well said.

--------------------
"I believe what my church teaches.
My church teaches what I believe.
My church and I believe the same thing."--The Apostate's Creed.

+Quote Post
Guest_statrei_*
post Apr 28 2006, 01:33 PM
Post #450

Guests

QUOTE(simplysaved @ Apr 28 2006, 11:57 AM) [snapback]128353[/snapback]

You have to be joking. Do you really think the public makes a distinction between adultery and spiritual adultery? I don't know how you find the comparison with Swaggert and Baker but I won't even ask.

+Quote Post

49 Pages V  « < 28 29 30 31 32 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd March 2008 - 01:50 PM
Design by: Download IPB Skins & eBusiness
BlackSDA has no official affiliation or endorsement from the Seventh-day Adventist church