Archive of http://www.blacksda.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=9768&st=30 preserved for the defense in 3ABN and Danny Shelton v. Joy and Pickle.
Links altered to maintain their integrity and aid in navigation, but content otherwise unchanged.
Saved at 04:46:26 PM on March 23, 2008.
IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

13 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> An Unauthorized History of 3ABN, Chapter 7 (the dollar store and the Lengend)
Panama_Pete
post May 24 2006, 07:32 AM
Post #31

500 + posts
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 522

QUOTE(summertime @ May 24 2006, 08:00 AM) [snapback]132050[/snapback]

....but what is a slumlord? Sounds like somebody who rented a lot of rundown rental properties and expected the renters to live there....

This is the general, legal dictionary definition of a slumlord for the person who asked. It is just a general definition and doesn't apply to any case in particular. I did not see the CNN story, so those that did see it will have to decide if this definition is the right or wrong one to apply to that CNN story.

http://www.uslegalforms.com/legaldefinitions/slumlord/

Slumlord Law and Legal Definition

"A slumlord is an unscrupulous landlord who milks a property without concern for tenants, neighborhoods or their own long term interests. Slumlords overcharge for property in poor neighborhoods that is kept in poor repair and allowed to deteriorate. Some indicators of property run by a slumlord include number of police calls, and city and county code violations on the properties."

This post has been edited by Panama_Pete: May 24 2006, 07:57 AM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
watchbird
post May 24 2006, 09:13 AM
Post #32

1,000 + posts
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,712

QUOTE(summertime @ May 24 2006, 07:00 AM) [snapback]132050[/snapback]

I also wonder how many of the board members go to sleep during the infrequest board meetings--maybe there are others who sleep -thus making the board's votes unanimous--one nudge and the 'yeas' are spoken.

Speaking of board members: I think it would be interesting to have a complete list of the current boardmembers. And even better if we could have a little information about each one, including how long they have been on the board, why they are on the board, how often they attend board meetings, and how active they are in meetings, whether they ever oppose Danny on anything, or even inquire around about anything, etc.

It would also be interesting to have a list of board members who have left or resigned over the years (especially recent years) and their reasons for doing so.

+Quote Post
beartrap
post May 24 2006, 10:12 AM
Post #33

500 + posts
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,659

3ABN Board Members

1. Danny Shelton - 3ABN founder, and board member since 1985
2. Walter Thompson - Board member for around 17 years. Board Chairman. Retired surgeon, and producer of several programs on 3ABN
3. May Chung - Board member for around 20 years. Wealthy philanthropist, financial supporter of 3ABN and Danny Shelton, and host of a program on 3ABN
4. Bill Hulsey - Board member for close to 20 years. Wealthy businessman and financial supporter of 3ABN
5. Ellsworth McKee - Board member for close to 20 years. Former board chairman. Wealthy philanthropist and financial supporter of 3ABN
6. Larry Welch - Board member for close to 20 years. 3ABN employee, former lay pastor and drywall worker.
7. G. Ralph Thompson - Board member for close to 15 years. Retired undersecretary of the GC.
8. Kenneth Denslow - Board member since he became president of the Illinois Conference. His parents both work for 3ABN
9. Merlin Fjarli - Board member since 2004. Wealthy philanthropist and financial supporter of 3ABN
10. Nicholas Miller - Board member since 2004. 3ABN attorney.
11. Mollie Steenson - Board member since 2004. 3ABN General Manager, and has programs on 3ABN
12. Carmelita Troy - Board member since 2004. Daughter of former board member, Owen Troy. Teaches accounting at the U.S. Naval Academy Post Graduate School
13. Larry Ewing - Board member since 2004/2005. 3ABN Finacial Director
14. Wintley Phipps - Board member since 2005. Singer and pastor. Recipient of 1 million dollars from 3ABN, and proposed director of a proposed new network.

This post has been edited by beartrap: May 24 2006, 10:36 AM

+Quote Post
beartrap
post May 24 2006, 10:33 AM
Post #34

500 + posts
Group Icon

Former 3ABN Board Members

1. Kenny Shelton - Co-founder of 3ABN, and Danny Shelton's brother. Fired by Danny.
2. Emma Lou Shelton - Kenny Shelton's wife. Left with her husband.
3. Goldie Seddon - Danny Shelton's mother. Left with Kenny.
4. Stan Smith - Wealthy businessman/financial supporter. Resigned.
5. Bob Ford - Wealthy businessman/financial supporter. Resigned.
6. Donna McNielus - Wealthy philanthropist/financial supporter. Had a program on 3ABN. Resigned.
7. Owen Troy - Former Communications Director of the NAD. Had a stroke and resigned.
8. Linda Shelton - Co-founder of 3ABN and ex-wife of Danny Shelton. Fired over accusation of marital infidelity.
9. All of the Illinois conference presidents since the founding of 3ABN... up to the current one.

This list is to the best of my memory. It is possible that I forgot some.

This post has been edited by beartrap: May 24 2006, 10:38 AM

+Quote Post
sister
post May 24 2006, 01:59 PM
Post #35

500 + posts
Group Icon

Member No.: 762

“The Televangelist”, Part 7...

Walking into my darkened office, I turn on the desk lamp. The beam of light illuminates my keyboard, as the rest of the room remains hidden in the depths of shadows. The hour is late and silence is my only companion. With no distraction from “life in the world”, again I return to the file of “The Televangelist”. The following passage triggers a memory:

“Arriving home, the televangelist starts thinking about his upcoming board meeting. The church that supports his ministry is made up of a World Conference, and various other levels of conferences, each falling under the other. The President of the Local Conference where his ministry is based is on his board of directors. This Conference president’s parents both work for the televangelist. His personal assistant, his financial director, his chief legal advisor, and his facilities manager are all board members. Two of the board members, including the chairman, have programs that air on the television network. He has a new board member to whom he has just donated one million dollars, and appointed to head a new ethnic television network. He is comfortable that he owns the board.”

Walking down the hallway Danny is conversing with the guest for tonight’s 3ABN Presents Live, unaware of any witnesses they speak freely. “How do you keep complete control of your ministry when it is governed by a board?”, John asks Danny. I could see a smile slowly lighting up Danny’s face as he pats his jacket pocket and replies with a quiet chuckle, “That’s no problem for me, John, I have them in my pocket and they will go along with anything I say.” An unnoticed individual quietly slips back down the corridor, but what was heard was not soon forgotten. Only later would the full impact of that statement be understood.

The preceding incident took place between Danny Shelton and John Osborne. John had just recently returned to the SDA church after years of angry criticism against the church he once loved. These two men shared many things in common: both have held the position of televangelist in an independent ministry and both have been critical, in varying degrees, of the established church. If memory serves me correctly, Osborne was either in the process or had just recently published his experiences in, Back on Track - The John Osborne Story.

How could Danny’s so confidently state he had the board in his pocket? A few facts from that time follows, many of the procedures still remain the same today. All department reports intended for the board first had to pass muster through Mollie Steenson’s inspection. Any report that was not in line with Danny’s spin of the facts was returned to the department head in question for revision. There was no contact between the workers and the board members. All the meetings were held at the home of Mom Ford, the current home of Pastor John Lomacang, and scheduled for Sundays. Luncheon was a catered affair, so there was no opportunity for employees “accidently” interacting with board members. Additionally, there has always been “selected workers” on the board who were both willing and able to testify to the accuracy of Danny’s statements in regard to operations and employee conditions. And remember, Danny has hand picked all his board members and is quite adept at discovering what he could do to secure their cooperation: any thing from giving them their own programing, to donating one million dollars to a project that they have spearheaded, and pitching them a dream. Like a seasoned carnival pitchmen, you learn to read your mark and make your appeal based on what he or she would find most intriguing. Then as an avid fishermen Danny knows, you always wait until the hook is set, before you start reeling them in.

Stayed tuned...

+Quote Post
sonshineonme
post May 24 2006, 02:10 PM
Post #36

1,000 + posts
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,709

QUOTE(beartrap @ May 24 2006, 08:33 AM) [snapback]132088[/snapback]

Former 3ABN Board Members

1. Kenny Shelton - Co-founder of 3ABN, and Danny Shelton's brother. Fired by Danny.
2. Emma Lou Shelton - Kenny Shelton's wife. Left with her husband.
3. Goldie Seddon - Danny Shelton's mother. Left with Kenny.
4. Stan Smith - Wealthy businessman/financial supporter. Resigned.
5. Bob Ford - Wealthy businessman/financial supporter. Resigned.
6. Donna McNielus - Wealthy philanthropist/financial supporter. Had a program on 3ABN. Resigned.7. Owen Troy - Former Communications Director of the NAD. Had a stroke and resigned.
8. Linda Shelton - Co-founder of 3ABN and ex-wife of Danny Shelton. Fired over accusation of marital infidelity.
9. All of the Illinois conference presidents since the founding of 3ABN... up to the current one.

This list is to the best of my memory. It is possible that I forgot some.

Is she related to Garwin? And if so, how? Do you know the dates of each resignation?

--------------------
Here's the thing - "...if you pull "folks" into a fight you don't know what "weapon" they will bring." PrincessDrRe

"A man who digs a pit for others to fall into, will end up falling into it himself. And if a man rolls a stone on someone, the stone will roll back on him". Said Solomon the wise, Proverbs 26:27

"No man can follow Christ and go astray." William H.P. Faunce

"If I could hear Christ praying for me in the next room, I would not fear a million enemies. Yet distance makes no difference. He is praying for me." Robert M. McCheyne

Click here for Linda Shelton's newly updated website

+Quote Post
sister
post May 24 2006, 04:04 PM
Post #37

500 + posts
Group Icon

Member No.: 762

QUOTE(sonshineonme @ May 24 2006, 03:10 PM) [snapback]132109[/snapback]

Is she related to Garwin? And if so, how? Do you know the dates of each resignation?

Donna McNeilus is the wife of Garwin McNeilus' son, Denzil McNeilus.

+Quote Post
beartrap
post May 24 2006, 07:18 PM
Post #38

500 + posts
Group Icon

QUOTE(sonshineonme @ May 24 2006, 02:10 PM) [snapback]132109[/snapback]

Do you know the dates of each resignation?

To the best of my recollection Kenny, Emma lou, and Goldie left in 1989 (when I arrived); Stan Smith, and Bob Ford quit somwhere around 2003-2004; Owen Troy, and Linda Shelton left in 2004 (when I left); I have no idea when Donna McNielus quite; and the various Illinois Conference Presidents quite at the end of their terms. The IL Conference President's seat on the board is only for the sitting president.

This post has been edited by beartrap: May 24 2006, 07:22 PM

+Quote Post
PaperTigers
post May 24 2006, 07:28 PM
Post #39

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,689

I have a question.
If 3ABN is not affiliated with the SDA church, then why is there a seat on the board reserved for the Illinois Conference President??

--------------------
~ Sometimes the hardest thing to do is the RIGHT thing!

~ Work like you don't need the money, love like you've never been hurt and dance like you would if no one was watching!
IPB Image

+Quote Post
Clay
post May 24 2006, 07:35 PM
Post #40

5,000 + posts
Group Icon

Group: Administrator
Member No.: 4

QUOTE(PaperTigers @ May 24 2006, 07:28 PM) [snapback]132130[/snapback]

I have a question.
If 3ABN is not affiliated with the SDA church, then why is there a seat on the board reserved for the Illinois Conference President??

to compromise the prez? to cause the prez to think about the money floating all around and maybe thinking about how to get some... or maybe as Don Coreleone said in "The Godfather," "keep your friends close, and your enemies closer...."

--------------------
"you are as sick as your secrets...." -quote from Celebrity Rehab-

+Quote Post
sonshineonme
post May 24 2006, 07:38 PM
Post #41

1,000 + posts
Group Icon

QUOTE(Clay @ May 24 2006, 05:35 PM) [snapback]132131[/snapback]

to compromise the prez? to cause the prez to think about the money floating all around and maybe thinking about how to get some... or maybe as Don Coreleone said in "The Godfather," "keep your friends close, and your enemies closer...."

I like that answer! You are most like right in your assumption....but you never know, maybe the "prez" is a double agent and Danny doesn't know it! roflmao.gif

--------------------
Here's the thing - "...if you pull "folks" into a fight you don't know what "weapon" they will bring." PrincessDrRe

"A man who digs a pit for others to fall into, will end up falling into it himself. And if a man rolls a stone on someone, the stone will roll back on him". Said Solomon the wise, Proverbs 26:27

"If I could hear Christ praying for me in the next room, I would not fear a million enemies. Yet distance makes no difference. He is praying for me." Robert M. McCheyne

+Quote Post
beartrap
post May 24 2006, 07:52 PM
Post #42

500 + posts
Group Icon

I will take this opportunity to say a few nice things about some of the current and former board members.

Emma Lou is a fine and beautiful woman who has lived through much turmoil. She always has a smile and laugh, even when things are rough, and she has always been a bright spot for me when I just needed to see one friendly face.

Owen Troy and his wife, Anne, have worked dilligently for the Lord. Even when they had something to lose, and everyone else ran the other way, they went out of their way to be friendly. Owen had a stroke that affected his language skills, but his mind is as brilliant as ever. Like many of us, I believe Owen chose to see and believe only the best, and I know that there is much he never had the opportunity to see.

Six years ago I went through a terrible ordeal and ended up living in a broken down hovel with very little to eat, and even less of the things that make a house a home. Linda Shelton visited me one day for a few minutes, and several hours later she returned from Sams Club with a vehicle load of food and other things. She was the only person from work or the church who ever contacted me at all during that year-long nightmare. This was and is Linda.

Carmelita Troy stepped in to fill her dad's shoes when he resigned. I know very little about her, but what I do know tells me that the apple doesn't fall far from the tree.

Bill Hulsey and Ellsworth McKee seem to do the best they can with what little they know.

QUOTE(PaperTigers @ May 24 2006, 07:28 PM) [snapback]132130[/snapback]

I have a question.

As any good politician knows, one must extend the hand of... well... the hand anyway, across the aisle sometimes.

+Quote Post
sonshineonme
post May 24 2006, 07:59 PM
Post #43

1,000 + posts
Group Icon

QUOTE(beartrap @ May 24 2006, 05:52 PM) [snapback]132134[/snapback]

I will take this opportunity to say a few nice things about some of the current and former board members.

Emma Lou is a fine and beautiful woman who has lived through much turmoil. She always has a smile and laugh, even when things are rough, and she has always been a bright spot for me when I just needed to see one friendly face.

Owen Troy and his wife, Anne, have worked dilligently for the Lord. Even when they had something to lose, and everyone else ran the other way, they went out of their way to be friendly. Owen had a stroke that affected his language skills, but his mind is as brilliant as ever. Like many of us, I believe Owen chose to see and believe only the best, and I know that there is much he never had the opportunity to see.

Six years ago I went through a terrible ordeal and ended up living in a broken down hovel with very little to eat, and even less of the things that make a house a home. Linda Shelton visited me one day for a few minutes, and several hours later she returned from Sams Club with a vehicle load of food and other things. She was the only person from work or the church who ever contacted me at all during that year-long nightmare. This was and is Linda.

Carmelita Troy stepped in to fill her dad's shoes when he resigned. I know very little about her, but what I do know tells me that the apple doesn't fall far from the tree.

Bill Hulsey and Ellsworth McKee seem to do the best they can with what little they know.
As any good politician knows, one must extend the hand of... well... the hand anyway, across the aisle sometimes.

What can be done to "educate" the board members that are being used to fulfill a mission that is not what they think they are filling? What can be presented to them so they see the big and real picture? Wouldn't that wake up some people? I know there are members that probably like the position in spite of what they see, but if so many are basically clueless, would it do any good for them to have more accurate "information" then they are spoon fed by Danny? Has someone thought of sending letters to them filled with "testimony" to things?

--------------------

+Quote Post
beartrap
post May 24 2006, 08:07 PM
Post #44

500 + posts
Group Icon

Some excerpts from a Washington Post article

Groups Tout Ten Commandments Event
By Michelle Boorstein
Washington Post Staff Writer
Saturday, May 6, 2006; Page B05

Are you one of the 135,000-plus people who were handed a free book about the Ten Commandments this week at a Washington Metro stop or street corner?
If so, you were part of a $3.2 million campaign by an Illinois-based radio and television ministry that calls itself a "mending broken people network." You also got a glimpse into what religious people across the spectrum are calling the Ten Commandments movement, a patchwork of groups who agree that America needs to focus on Old Testament morals -- but not much else.

{Talks about the 10C movement and its adherents}...It also includes the Three Angels Broadcasting Network, the organization that started giving away 270,000 copies of the book "Ten Commandments Twice Removed" on Thursday. The ministry, a growing offshoot of the Adventist church, said it hoped to draw 10,000 people last night and today to "Ten Commandments Weekend," an event at the D.C. Armory featuring music and sermons about the commandments.

...The Three Angels network says on its Web site that it does not support the Wexler group's "political agenda." In its book, however, the network decries the "purging of the Ten Commandments from public institutions."
And although Three Angels' followers are primarily Seventh-day Adventists, a spokesman for the denomination said it would not be participating in the weekend events.

This post has been edited by beartrap: May 24 2006, 08:11 PM

+Quote Post
beartrap
post May 24 2006, 08:18 PM
Post #45

500 + posts
Group Icon

The ministry, a growing offshoot of the Adventist church...

An interesting observation. Especially in light of the fact that the wrap-up sermon was done by an open offshoot and bitterly antagonistic anti-Adventist, Kenny Shelton.

This post has been edited by beartrap: May 24 2006, 08:20 PM

+Quote Post

13 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd March 2008 - 03:46 PM
Design by: Download IPB Skins & eBusiness
BlackSDA has no official affiliation or endorsement from the Seventh-day Adventist church