Archive of http://www.blacksda.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=9768&st=45 preserved for the defense in 3ABN and Danny Shelton v. Joy and Pickle.
Links altered to maintain their integrity and aid in navigation, but content otherwise unchanged.
Saved at 04:46:30 PM on March 23, 2008.
IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

13 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 6 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> An Unauthorized History of 3ABN, Chapter 7 (the dollar store and the Lengend)
sonshineonme
post May 24 2006, 08:22 PM
Post #46

1,000 + posts
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,709

QUOTE(beartrap @ May 24 2006, 06:07 PM) [snapback]132136[/snapback]

Some excerpts from a Washington Post article

Is this possibly accurate?
1. "....you also get a glimpse into what religious people across the spectrum are calling the commandments movement, a patchwork of groups who agree that America needs to focus on Old Testiment morals - but not much else" (give me a break?? is that what we say? or what am i missing?)

2. "...the ministry, a growing OFFSHOOT (?) of the Adventist church...." interesting....

3. "....although the Three angles followers (again?) are primarily Seventh Day Adventists, a spokesman for the demonination said it would not be participating in the weekends events..." Who was this spokesman? And, didn't many "official" SDA churches and conferences "participate"?

Is this a poorly written article, or the truth as it is?

This post has been edited by sonshineonme: May 24 2006, 08:25 PM

--------------------
Here's the thing - "...if you pull "folks" into a fight you don't know what "weapon" they will bring." PrincessDrRe

"A man who digs a pit for others to fall into, will end up falling into it himself. And if a man rolls a stone on someone, the stone will roll back on him". Said Solomon the wise, Proverbs 26:27

"No man can follow Christ and go astray." William H.P. Faunce

"If I could hear Christ praying for me in the next room, I would not fear a million enemies. Yet distance makes no difference. He is praying for me." Robert M. McCheyne

Click here for Linda Shelton's newly updated website
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Clay
post May 24 2006, 08:24 PM
Post #47

5,000 + posts
Group Icon

Group: Administrator
Member No.: 4

QUOTE(sonshineonme @ May 24 2006, 09:22 PM) [snapback]132138[/snapback]

1. "....you also get a glimpse into what religious people across the spectrum are calling the cammadments movement, a patchwork of groups who agree that america needs to focus on Old Testiment morals - but not much else" (give me a break??)

2. "...the ministry, a growing OFFSHOOT (?) of the Adventist church...."
3. "....although the Three angles followers (again?) are primarily Seventh Day Adventists, a spokesman for the demonination said it would not be participating in the weekends events..." Who was this spokesman? And, didn't many "official" SDA churches and conferences "participate"?
Is this a poorly written article, or the trust as it is?

I kinda like it.... shows the perception.... and the perception aint that great....

--------------------
"you are as sick as your secrets...." -quote from Celebrity Rehab-

+Quote Post
sonshineonme
post May 24 2006, 08:29 PM
Post #48

1,000 + posts
Group Icon

QUOTE(Clay @ May 24 2006, 06:24 PM) [snapback]132139[/snapback]

I kinda like it.... shows the perception.... and the perception aint that great....

Wonder if 3abn'rs (owners and contributers) have seen this? Some one send it off to them....

--------------------
Here's the thing - "...if you pull "folks" into a fight you don't know what "weapon" they will bring." PrincessDrRe

"A man who digs a pit for others to fall into, will end up falling into it himself. And if a man rolls a stone on someone, the stone will roll back on him". Said Solomon the wise, Proverbs 26:27

"If I could hear Christ praying for me in the next room, I would not fear a million enemies. Yet distance makes no difference. He is praying for me." Robert M. McCheyne

+Quote Post
beartrap
post May 24 2006, 08:42 PM
Post #49

500 + posts
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,659

focus on Old Testiment morals - but not much else
- That would not be very accurate as there is deffinitely a focus on money.

"...the ministry, a growing OFFSHOOT (?) of the Adventist church...."
- Yes, I believe that would be accurate.

"....although the Three angles followers (again?) are primarily Seventh Day Adventists, a spokesman for the demonination said it would not be participating in the weekends events..."
- They were talking about Washington DC. No, the Seventh-day Adventist church did not participate in 3ABN's festivities there. Some individuals and individual churches did, but the Church as a denomination based on Old Columbia Pike did not.

QUOTE(sonshineonme @ May 24 2006, 09:29 PM) [snapback]132140[/snapback]

Wonder if 3abn'rs (owners and contributers) have seen this? Some one send it off to them....

Yes, last week Danny spoke about it.

This post has been edited by beartrap: May 24 2006, 08:43 PM

+Quote Post
sonshineonme
post May 24 2006, 08:50 PM
Post #50

1,000 + posts
Group Icon

So, 3ABN is seen by us as an "offshoot" - this does not have a good connotation to it....as we see offshoots as "gone astray" and I didn't think the denomination had declared them as an offshoot? Maybe I am just hearing this wrong.... dunno.gif

Also, the "old testament morals" part is what bothers me - as though the 10 commandments are something Christians don't see anymore? I thought it was just the 4th commandment that was considered "old testament" to them? Guess I am lost a bit here....long day maybe... sad.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
inga
post May 24 2006, 09:01 PM
Post #51

500 + posts
Group Icon

Member No.: 577

QUOTE(beartrap @ May 24 2006, 09:18 PM) [snapback]132137[/snapback]

The ministry, a growing offshoot of the Adventist church...

An interesting observation. Especially in light of the fact that the wrap-up sermon was done by an open offshoot and bitterly antagonistic anti-Adventist, Kenny Shelton.

Yes -- interesting and downright refreshing to see a major newspaper "getting it right." As a matter of fact that reporter got it more "right" than a significant number of naive church members.

This post has been edited by inga: May 24 2006, 09:26 PM

+Quote Post
beartrap
post May 24 2006, 09:08 PM
Post #52

500 + posts
Group Icon

QUOTE(sonshineonme @ May 24 2006, 08:50 PM) [snapback]132143[/snapback]

So, 3ABN is seen by us as an "offshoot" - this does not have a good connotation to it....as we see offshoots as "gone astray" and I didn't think the denomination had declared them as an offshoot? Maybe I am just hearing this wrong.... dunno.gif

Also, the "old testament morals" part is what bothers me - as though the 10 commandments are something Christians don't see anymore? I thought it was just the 4th commandment that was considered "old testament" to them? Guess I am lost a bit here....long day maybe... sad.gif

1. Offshoot - Connotations, perceptions, semantics... to some the "offshoot" is the real church. Many thousands of people no longer give their tithe to the church, sending it to 3ABN instead. Could this mean that to them 3ABN is the real church?

2. Old Testament Morals - I don't think the reporter expressed an issue with Old Testament morals. She used the term "focus" followed by "and little else." Those terms seemed to reflect the issue she saw.

+Quote Post
sonshineonme
post May 24 2006, 09:17 PM
Post #53

1,000 + posts
Group Icon

[quote name='beartrap' date='May 24 2006, 07:08 PM' post='132148']
1. Offshoot - Connotations, perceptions, semantics... to some the "offshoot" is the real church. Many thousands of people no longer give their tithe to the church, sending it to 3ABN instead. Could this mean that to them 3ABN is the real church?

This a revelation (no pun intended) to me....I know that Danny may belive and carry on a particular way, but, on the programming end of it, I assumed he was dead on for SDA beliefs? Has he come out and subtly shown things that differ from the organized church? Is this clear to people? I really don't watch 3abn anymore...I guess I was "assuming" it was still SDA based...but, I can see that there is more to this then I understood - I have never heard anyone I know that watches this (and I know many) seem to think there was a difference - but mostly a ministry separate from but still SDA. Hmmm.....this will have me thinking even more...some more "new light" to me!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Panama_Pete
post May 24 2006, 09:27 PM
Post #54

500 + posts
Group Icon

Member No.: 522

QUOTE(beartrap @ May 24 2006, 09:07 PM) [snapback]132136[/snapback]

Some excerpts from a Washington Post article

I don't know how long this link will last until the story goes into the archives. However, tonight, you can read the entire story at this link:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/conte...0501748_pf.html

+Quote Post
sonshineonme
post May 24 2006, 09:35 PM
Post #55

1,000 + posts
Group Icon

QUOTE(Panama_Pete @ May 24 2006, 07:27 PM) [snapback]132152[/snapback]

I don't know how long this link will last until the story goes into the archives. However, tonight, you can read the entire story at this link:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/conte...0501748_pf.html

Thank you. Very interesting. scratchchin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
inga
post May 24 2006, 09:36 PM
Post #56

500 + posts
Group Icon

Member No.: 577

QUOTE(sonshineonme @ May 24 2006, 09:22 PM) [snapback]132138[/snapback]

3. "....although the Three angles followers (again?) are primarily Seventh Day Adventists

The word "followers" implies a cult. Perhaps the reporter called folks in 3ABN's home town to get that idea?

+Quote Post
Clay
post May 25 2006, 07:34 AM
Post #57

5,000 + posts
Group Icon

Group: Administrator
Member No.: 4

QUOTE(inga @ May 24 2006, 09:36 PM) [snapback]132155[/snapback]

The word "followers" implies a cult. Perhaps the reporter called folks in 3ABN's home town to get that idea?

if a group is following anything or anyone other than Christ... then it tends to be cult-like.....

From what you all have described here about life at 3abn, IMO cult seems to be the best description...

--------------------
"you are as sick as your secrets...." -quote from Celebrity Rehab-

+Quote Post
beartrap
post May 25 2006, 09:01 AM
Post #58

500 + posts
Group Icon

QUOTE(inga @ May 24 2006, 10:36 PM) [snapback]132155[/snapback]

I am sure that the reporter would have received an earful had she contacted my fellow townsfolk here in Thompsonville. I fact, the mayor would likely have shared a copy of a threatening letter he received from 3ABN stating that he would suffer personal consequences for having been a signatory on the documentation requesting that 3ABN pay property taxes. He, and many other people were reminded of the cult of the Baghwan Shree Rahjneesh in Antelope, OR.

This post has been edited by beartrap: May 25 2006, 09:04 AM

+Quote Post
sister
post May 25 2006, 09:07 AM
Post #59

500 + posts
Group Icon

Member No.: 762

QUOTE(beartrap @ May 25 2006, 10:01 AM) [snapback]132198[/snapback]

I am sure that the reporter would have received an earful had she contacted my fellow townsfolk here in Thompsonville. I fact, the mayor would likely have shared a copy of a threatening letter he received from 3ABN stating that he would suffer personal consequences for having been a signatory on the documentation requesting that 3ABN pay property taxes. He, and many other people were reminded of the cult of the Baghwan Shree Rahjneesh in Antelope, OR.

Perhaps the mayor of T'ville would be willing to share the entire contents of that letter with us?

+Quote Post
lurker
post May 25 2006, 09:38 AM
Post #60

Advanced Member

Member No.: 676

I can't find a mayor listed on the intenet for Thompsonville, IL. Maybe it was the mayor of another nearby city such as West Frankfort or Benton who got the letter?

Or did the mayor of Thompsonville go into the witness protection program? Couldn't resist that one. Sorry folks.

+Quote Post

13 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 6 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd March 2008 - 03:46 PM
Design by: Download IPB Skins & eBusiness
BlackSDA has no official affiliation or endorsement from the Seventh-day Adventist church