Archive of http://www.blacksda.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=9772&st=30 preserved for the defense in 3ABN and Danny Shelton v. Joy and Pickle.
Links altered to maintain their integrity and aid in navigation, but content otherwise unchanged.
Saved at 04:59:23 PM on March 23, 2008.
IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

11 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> An Unauthorized History of 3ABN, Chapter 8 (still more of the televangelist)
beartrap
post Jun 1 2006, 10:07 AM
Post #31

500 + posts
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,659

QUOTE(watchbird @ Jun 1 2006, 05:23 AM) [snapback]133043[/snapback]

To Beartrap: I wonder if you would elaborate on this for us. What is it about 3ABN that makes it illegal to be on cable in Canada? And conversely also, what is in Canadian law that makes it illegal for a cable system to put them on? Surely it is not merely that it is 24/7 religious programming. That would have been obvious to the cable system personell.

In Canada the CRTC is the federal commission that governs television and radio. Cable, broadcast, and DBS operators are not allowed to distribute a network that has not been approved for distribution by the CRTC. 3ABN has applied for approval many times and been denied for a variety of reasons. They do not look kindly on foreign, single-faith, religious networks that denigrate other faiths.

In Spences Bridge, and a few other towns, the local cable operators were given satellite and/or insertion equipment and chose to quietly add 3ABN for some Adventists in spite of the fact that it is illegal.

To my knowledge, Hope Channel has not been approved by the CRTC either.

It is true, however, that 3ABN is being carried in a legal manner on one of the islands back east. There is a loophole in Canadian law that allows this on that island. (Sorry, I failed to remeber this in my first post on this subject, and perhaps this is the system that CJO was refering to.)

This post has been edited by beartrap: Jun 1 2006, 10:16 AM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
caribbean sda
post Jun 1 2006, 11:24 AM
Post #32

500 + posts
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,678

They do not look kindly on foreign, single-faith, religious networks that denigrate other faiths.

...and this is 3ABN? hmm...

--------------------
"Press on, regardless...what's to come is better than what's been...!"

+Quote Post
watchbird
post Jun 1 2006, 11:30 AM
Post #33

1,000 + posts
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,712

QUOTE(beartrap @ Jun 1 2006, 10:07 AM) [snapback]133093[/snapback]

In Canada the CRTC is the federal commission that governs television and radio. Cable, broadcast, and DBS operators are not allowed to distribute a network that has not been approved for distribution by the CRTC. 3ABN has applied for approval many times and been denied for a variety of reasons. They do not look kindly on foreign, single-faith, religious networks that denigrate other faiths.

In Spences Bridge, and a few other towns, the local cable operators were given satellite and/or insertion equipment and chose to quietly add 3ABN for some Adventists in spite of the fact that it is illegal.

To my knowledge, Hope Channel has not been approved by the CRTC either.

It is true, however, that 3ABN is being carried in a legal manner on one of the islands back east. There is a loophole in Canadian law that allows this on that island. (Sorry, I failed to remeber this in my first post on this subject, and perhaps this is the system that CJO was refering to.)

Has HOPE Channel tried to get approval? If they can't, would Adventists in Canada be better advised to try and get Safe TV or even Loma Linda Broadcasting Network approved? Who is it that would instigate a request for approval? Adventist listeners in local Canadian localities? Or the Channel owners themselves?

+Quote Post
beartrap
post Jun 1 2006, 02:59 PM
Post #34

500 + posts
Group Icon

QUOTE(watchbird @ Jun 1 2006, 11:30 AM) [snapback]133105[/snapback]

Has HOPE Channel tried to get approval? If they can't, would Adventists in Canada be better advised to try and get Safe TV or even Loma Linda Broadcasting Network approved? Who is it that would instigate a request for approval? Adventist listeners in local Canadian localities? Or the Channel owners themselves?

Yes, Hope Channel is trying. SafeTV and LLBN are also American single-faith religious network with almost no Canadian content. The approval process is very lengthy and can take years of trying for almost any network.

+Quote Post
watchbird
post Jun 1 2006, 03:15 PM
Post #35

1,000 + posts
Group Icon

QUOTE(beartrap @ Jun 1 2006, 02:59 PM) [snapback]133136[/snapback]

Yes, Hope Channel is trying. SafeTV and LLBN are also American single-faith religious network with almost no Canadian content. The approval process is very lengthy and can take years of trying for almost any network.

What then is the real criteria? Is it not only that more than one "faith" must be represented, but also that a significant amout of the programming must originate in Canada? Or is the point of origination also not the issue, but that there has to be "Canadian content"? Whatever that means. Perhaps you could explicate a bit more? I had thought that perhaps LLBN, since it was at least as much health content as religious, and since it is known so internationally, might not be considered a "single-faith religious network". Or is it the ownership which is the gating factor? What does this mean in terms of other religious networks? Does Canada simply refuse all such licensing?

And on another, but related topic, what about satellite? How far north can one get good satellite reception? IOW, is the 18" satellite which picks up both HOPETV and LLBN and 3ABN an option for Canadians?

+Quote Post
princessdi
post Jun 1 2006, 04:33 PM
Post #36

5,000 + posts
Group Icon

Group: Administrator
Member No.: 47

I think that phrase is a huge part of it. For the most part, you find no other religious programming that denigrates other faiths. However, we defintiely have our prophecy doctrine which refers to the pope/catholism as the beast, and just plain evil. Not to mention our swipes at everyone else for worshipping on Sunday. I don't think we realize how often this comes up, because we are comfortable with it as part of our belief system/doctrine.

QUOTE(caribbean sda @ Jun 1 2006, 10:24 AM) [snapback]133104[/snapback]

They do not look kindly on foreign, single-faith, religious networks that denigrate other faiths.
...and this is 3ABN? hmm...

--------------------
TTFN
Di

And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose---Romans 8:28

A great many people believe they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.-- William James

It is better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.- Mark Twain

+Quote Post
beartrap
post Jun 1 2006, 05:13 PM
Post #37

500 + posts
Group Icon

QUOTE(watchbird @ Jun 1 2006, 04:15 PM) [snapback]133141[/snapback]

What then is the real criteria? Is it not only that more than one "faith" must be represented, but also that a significant amout of the programming must originate in Canada? Or is the point of origination also not the issue, but that there has to be "Canadian content"? Whatever that means. Perhaps you could explicate a bit more? I had thought that perhaps LLBN, since it was at least as much health content as religious, and since it is known so internationally, might not be considered a "single-faith religious network". Or is it the ownership which is the gating factor? What does this mean in terms of other religious networks? Does Canada simply refuse all such licensing?

And on another, but related topic, what about satellite? How far north can one get good satellite reception? IOW, is the 18" satellite which picks up both HOPETV and LLBN and 3ABN an option for Canadians?

The criteria is rather complicated and seems to occasionally change. Canada is very protective about competition. They try to keep competition out of their country. If a network originates in another country it is in direct competition with Canadian networks of the same, or similar, genre. It is possible that the numbers have changed, but it used to be that they required 60% Canadian content before a network could even be considered.

They are also very protective of fairness in the dissemination of religious content. They have worked hard to keep the mandate that all religions be given equal time. They are especially harsh with any religious group that attacks others. The fundamental doctrines that make Adventists what they are, require a consistent attack on virtually everyone else. If one watches any of the evangelistic things on any of our networks they will see that much of what we are is based entirely on attacking others.

As one goes further North, it can become neccessary to use a 28 inch, or even a one meter dish. They provide a more solid reception that doesn't go away with every weather problem. SkyAngel is illegal in Canada, but I guess that is no longer an issue.

This post has been edited by beartrap: Jun 1 2006, 05:17 PM

+Quote Post
watchbird
post Jun 1 2006, 05:26 PM
Post #38

1,000 + posts
Group Icon

QUOTE(princessdi @ Jun 1 2006, 04:33 PM) [snapback]133144[/snapback]

I think that phrase is a huge part of it. For the most part, you find no other religious programming that denigrates other faiths. However, we defintiely have our prophecy doctrine which refers to the pope/catholism as the beast, and just plain evil. Not to mention our swipes at everyone else for worshipping on Sunday. I don't think we realize how often this comes up, because we are comfortable with it as part of our belief system/doctrine.

While it is true that our Sabbath doctrine is different than what most other Christians teach, the attack mode upon the RCC is hardly unique to Adventism. In fact, most of the extreme teachings within Adventism against the RCC is fueled by Fundamentalist literature from other groups. I don't know about TV religious programming, but certainly, books and websites that are much more anti-RCC than any but the extreme fringe of Adventism are prevelant.

This may have some bearing on what looks to us like "strange bedfellows" with so many non-SDAs involved in 3ABN. There is a lot in common between right wing Adventist fanatics and Pentecostal teachings in this area, as well as in the area of "Divine Guidance" and the hunger for supernatural miracles.

+Quote Post
Observer
post Jun 1 2006, 05:32 PM
Post #39

500 + posts
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,664

Here is some additional on Polly's Place, and Linda, which was posted in another forum, by Mr. Matthews:

Dear ______________:
>
> I believe in Linda Shelton's innocence of the allegations that have been
> hurled against her. My concern however is this, if she were guility of
> what she is being accused of, who should reach out and help her, and
> reclaim her for the Lord? How should we as a church provide healing and
> safety for her? Where and to whom should she go for help? In His
> time God will reveal the truth of Linda's innoncence and then there
> will be no doubt that He is in control. An individual, regardless of
> his/her influence, wealth, or education is not as powerful as God.
> Something is dreadfully wrong with us as Christians if we prefer to
> protect an institution rather than a person who is made in the image of
> God. Individuals who stand by and see injustice being done to another
> human being and refuse to take a stand against the injustice and those
> who purport the injustice will have to give an account to God.
> "Therefore to him that knowleth to do good, and doeth it not, to him it
> is sin." James 4:17. God will vindicate Linda in His time, and in
> His own way. When this happens His name will be glorifed and it will be
> obvious that He is the One who orchestrated and ordained it. Polly's
> Place Network is seeking to glorify Him by helping to fulfill His
> mission as He declares in Luke 4:18.
>
> In answer to your question, here are some ways in which your academy SDA
> church can help Pollly's Place Network: distribute our literature,
> engage in fundraising activities for the Network, provide support for
> abused individuals who might be in your church, and sponsor events that
> will raise the awareness of abuse in our homes, schools, churches and
> communities. Linda and I will be happy to participate in a
> community awareness program that your church might sponsor. We are very
> passionate about helping our hurting members find healing so that they
> can break the intergenerational cycle of domestic violence and abuse in
> its many forms. (As I travel I am amazed at how many individuals
> dealing with domestic violence and abuse keep quiet because they are
> too ashamed to talk about it. Or are fearful that they will not be
> believed, or they might be ostracized from the church. But when someone
> addresses it from the pulpit, they feel that they have permission to get
> help.)
>
> So we provide ongoing education for pastors and church leaders. We have
> a team of Christian professionals who put on these educational programs.
> If you have the opportunity to share our information with your local
> conference, we could conduct workshops for their pastors and church
> leaders. The problem of domestic violence, sexual abuse, religious
> abuse, etc. occurring in our homes, schools and churches is real.
> Jesus Christ is real, and our profession of true Godliness must also be
> real as we demonstrate practical help for the wounded.
> >
> > Thank you very much for your donation. We appreciate your willingness
> to support this ministry. Most of all we solicit your prayers.
> >
> Polly's Place Network is a ministry that is governed by the Upper
> Columbia Conference Corporation, but financially supported by
> individuals like you who want to Help Empower Abused Lives. Our
> headquarters are located in the Upper Columbia Conference. I praise God
> for Max Torkelson and the other administrators who have welcomed this
> ministry with open arms.
>
> You can contact me (509) 838-2761 if you have additional questions
> and/or comments. Blessings to you and your family.
>
> Sincererely,
>
> Mable Dunbar, President
> Polly's Place Network

This post has been edited by Observer: Jun 1 2006, 05:37 PM

--------------------
Gregory Matthews posts here under the name "Observer."

+Quote Post
watchbird
post Jun 1 2006, 05:35 PM
Post #40

1,000 + posts
Group Icon

QUOTE(beartrap @ Jun 1 2006, 05:13 PM) [snapback]133145[/snapback]

The criteria is rather complicated and seems to occasionally change. Canada is very protective about competition. They try to keep competition out of their country. If a network originates in another country it is in direct competition with Canadian networks of the same, or similar, genre. It is possible that the numbers have changed, but it used to be that they required 60% Canadian content before a network could even be considered.

They are also very protective of fairness in the dissemination of religious content. They have worked hard to keep the mandate that all religions be given equal time. They are especially harsh with any religious group that attacks others. The fundamental doctrines that make Adventists what they are, require a consistent attack on virtually everyone else. If one watches any of the evangelistic things on any of our networks they will see that much of what we are is based entirely on attacking others.

As one goes further North, it can become neccessary to use a 28 inch, or even a one meter dish. They provide a more solid reception that doesn't go away with every weather problem. SkyAngel is illegal in Canada, but I guess that is no longer an issue.

Are there Christian networks which originate in Canada? Or does their "fairness in the dissemination of religious content" laws extend to non-Christian religions to such an extent that even a mixed Christian denominational network would be illegal?

If what you say about our programming is true, then we are in sad shape indeed. For I don't see Adventism in that light, and I had thought that our Media Center produced programming was more oriented to consideration for others than this. I am aware of the "cringe factor" that takes over when I occasionally hear the kind of evangelistic programming that is typically carried on 3ABN.

When you say that SkyAngel is "illegal" in Canada. Does that mean that a private citizen there is breaking the law if they have a satellite that can bring in US signals? Do you think that same sort of ban will be put on the new dish?

+Quote Post
HUGGINS130
post Jun 1 2006, 09:25 PM
Post #41

5,000 + posts
Group Icon

Member No.: 339

For someone with no purported interest in this thread, why do you feel the need to continue posting in it?
The same reason you get up to go to work, because you can...

Do you think you will be forgotten if you don't pipe up every so often?
Have never tried to be remembered...it's not as if anyone knows me on a personal level anyway...
If, as you claim, you are not even bothering to read this thread, why do you think it noteworthy to point that out every few days or so?
Only because the good Lord has given me the ability to spell using a keyboard...
All it does is make your statement of how disinterested you are a lie; if you really had no interest in the thread you'd neither read it nor post in it... not even facetiously.
so you say

You'd just ignore it and move on to something you *are* interested in...

so you say!!!

new yawk son!!!Peace...

This post has been edited by HUGGINS130: Jun 1 2006, 09:31 PM

+Quote Post
awesumtenor
post Jun 1 2006, 09:39 PM
Post #42

5,000 + posts
Group Icon

Group: Charter Member
Member No.: 15

QUOTE(HUGGINS130 @ Jun 1 2006, 11:20 PM) [snapback]133161[/snapback]

gotta get my 5000 post somehow...and until you come prevent me from typing in my own house on my own computer, at Calvin's BSDA site, neither you nor anyone else, can't prevent me from saying I am not interested...now whether you believe me to be a liar or not, it doesn't matter...to you I have nothing to prove...moving on...still lurking...and as far as me posting in this, I read what Darius said because it interested me, and it had nothing to do with 3abn other than the fact that some of these folks have said in times past that 3abn has been used by God to bring folks to the truth...God used a donkey!!!

5000 posts... and when all is said and done, if Shakespeare were asked of the tale told by them I elieve he'd be compelled to say it was "full of sound and fury, signifying nothing"...But you're right, Thomas; no one can stop you from acting like a 'donkey' if that is what you want to do... but dont be surprised when they conclude you must be one... and keep in mind that because God used one "donkey" that spoke does not obligate him to use all of them.

In His service,
Mr. J

--------------------
There is no one more dangerous than one who thinks he knows God with a mind that is ignorant - Dr. Lewis Anthony

You’ve got to be real comfortable in your own skin to survive the animosity your strength evokes in people you'd hope would like you. - Dr. Renita Weems

+Quote Post
HUGGINS130
post Jun 1 2006, 09:47 PM
Post #43

5,000 + posts
Group Icon

Member No.: 339

QUOTE(awesumtenor @ Jun 1 2006, 09:39 PM) [snapback]133166[/snapback]

5000 posts... and when all is said and done, if Shakespeare were asked of the tale told by them I elieve he'd be compelled to say it was "full of sound and fury, signifying nothing"...But you're right, Thomas; no one can stop you from acting like a 'donkey' if that is what you want to do... but dont be surprised when they conclude you must be one... and keep in mind that because God used one "donkey" that spoke does not obligate him to use all of them.

In His service,
Mr. J

A few may lack common sense altogether
using your signature line, this explains it all!!!moving on...got better things to do!!!

This post has been edited by HUGGINS130: Jun 1 2006, 09:48 PM

+Quote Post
Fran
post Jun 1 2006, 10:05 PM
Post #44

500 + posts
Group Icon

Group: Financial Donor
Member No.: 529

About Dr Dunbar;

I received this from someone who shares my desire to stop abuse and to also help Dr Dunbar in anyway we can in her Ministries. Polly's Place needs our help. What can we do?

Fran,

I have a website for online sales. It has auction capabilities much like eBay. We are in the process of pulling a fundraising auction together for Polly's Place. We need donated items, buyers,and those willing to spread the word ,especially thru their e-mail lists and wherever they can think of. Are you interested????
Bonnie

www.mysilverneedle.com

There is something we can do to help replace what they did not get from ASI.

--------------------
The greatest want of the world is the want of men-- men who will not be bought or sold, men who in their inmost souls are true and honest, men who do not fear to call sin by its right name, men whose conscience is as true to duty as the needle to the pole, men who will stand for the right though the heavens fall. {Ed 57.3}
But such a character is not the result of accident; it is not due to special favors or endowments of Providence. A noble character is the result of self-discipline, of the subjection of the lower to the higher nature--the surrender of self for the service of love to God and man. {Ed 57.4}

+Quote Post
princessdi
post Jun 1 2006, 11:04 PM
Post #45

5,000 + posts
Group Icon

Group: Administrator
Member No.: 47

Uh Gentlemen, your discourse is sevrely offtopic.gif.

QUOTE(HUGGINS130 @ Jun 1 2006, 08:47 PM) [snapback]133168[/snapback]

using your signature line, this explains it all!!!moving on...got better things to do!!!

--------------------
TTFN
Di

And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose---Romans 8:28

A great many people believe they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.-- William James

It is better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.- Mark Twain

+Quote Post

11 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd March 2008 - 03:59 PM
Design by: Download IPB Skins & eBusiness
BlackSDA has no official affiliation or endorsement from the Seventh-day Adventist church