Archive of http://www.blacksda.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=9772&st=45 preserved for the defense in 3ABN and Danny Shelton v. Joy and Pickle.
Links altered to maintain their integrity and aid in navigation, but content otherwise unchanged.
Saved at 04:59:27 PM on March 23, 2008.
IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

11 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 6 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> An Unauthorized History of 3ABN, Chapter 8 (still more of the televangelist)
HUGGINS130
post Jun 1 2006, 11:13 PM
Post #46

5,000 + posts
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 339

QUOTE(princessdi @ Jun 1 2006, 11:04 PM) [snapback]133178[/snapback]

Uh Gentlemen, your discourse is sevrely offtopic.gif.

True to the fact Di, I stand corrected, but at least I am not saying all my actions are in "His Service," I know better than that...im not the one trying to teach folks the Bible while acting contrary to what I preach, nor am I wasting my time bench warming pews while acting otherwise by that which in my hearing the teachers teach...although I don't attend church, it is no excuse to act unchristlike, while those who claim to be Elders, act such a way...I know better and will act accordingly...
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
beartrap
post Jun 1 2006, 11:17 PM
Post #47

500 + posts
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,659

QUOTE(Fran @ Jun 1 2006, 11:05 PM) [snapback]133172[/snapback]

About Dr Dunbar;

I received this from someone who shares my desire to stop abuse and to also help Dr Dunbar in anyway we can in her Ministries. Polly's Place needs our help. What can we do?
There is something we can do to help replace what they did not get from ASI.

Very interesting. Worth looking into. Thanks Fran.

+Quote Post
beartrap
post Jun 1 2006, 11:28 PM
Post #48

500 + posts
Group Icon

QUOTE(watchbird @ Jun 1 2006, 06:35 PM) [snapback]133149[/snapback]

Are there Christian networks which originate in Canada? Or does their "fairness in the dissemination of religious content" laws extend to non-Christian religions to such an extent that even a mixed Christian denominational network would be illegal?

If what you say about our programming is true, then we are in sad shape indeed. For I don't see Adventism in that light, and I had thought that our Media Center produced programming was more oriented to consideration for others than this. I am aware of the "cringe factor" that takes over when I occasionally hear the kind of evangelistic programming that is typically carried on 3ABN.

When you say that SkyAngel is "illegal" in Canada. Does that mean that a private citizen there is breaking the law if they have a satellite that can bring in US signals? Do you think that same sort of ban will be put on the new dish?

Yes, there is a religious network that originates in Canada. I don't remember its name right now. They carry programs from a number of different religions.

Yes, Adventism is very much oriented toward denigrating other denominations and religions in a very public way. Our evangelistic campaigns are based on this.

SkyAngel is a subscription based multi-channel distribution DBS system originating in the United States, and is therefor illegal in Canada. Free-to-air satellite networks on AMC-4 are not illegal. Yes, a private citizen using SkyAngel in Canada is breaking the law the same as DirecTV, and DishNetwork.

+Quote Post
Fran
post Jun 2 2006, 01:23 AM
Post #49

500 + posts
Group Icon

Group: Financial Donor
Member No.: 529

Adventist Review; Haven't read it yet; I am afraid to.

The Divorce and Remarriage Challenge http://www.adventistreview.org/2002-1534/story3.html
How the church deals with a painful issue.

This post has been edited by Fran: Jun 2 2006, 01:30 AM

--------------------
The greatest want of the world is the want of men-- men who will not be bought or sold, men who in their inmost souls are true and honest, men who do not fear to call sin by its right name, men whose conscience is as true to duty as the needle to the pole, men who will stand for the right though the heavens fall. {Ed 57.3}
But such a character is not the result of accident; it is not due to special favors or endowments of Providence. A noble character is the result of self-discipline, of the subjection of the lower to the higher nature--the surrender of self for the service of love to God and man. {Ed 57.4}

+Quote Post
Panama_Pete
post Jun 2 2006, 09:13 AM
Post #50

500 + posts
Group Icon

Member No.: 522

QUOTE(Fran @ Jun 2 2006, 02:23 AM) [snapback]133184[/snapback]

Adventist Review; Haven't read it yet; I am afraid to.

The story on divorce and remarriage is one of those Adventist Review "rear window" stories: They are experts at where the vehicle has been, but seem politically too cautious to say where the vehicle is going. The story is mostly written in the past tense. It has no point of view that you could nail down.

It just says, "The Seventh-day Adventist Church's protracted journey to this point has certainly had its difficulties." I think anyone who follows BSDA noticed that two years ago, if not earlier.

+Quote Post
watchbird
post Jun 2 2006, 10:01 AM
Post #51

1,000 + posts
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,712

QUOTE(Panama_Pete @ Jun 2 2006, 09:13 AM) [snapback]133216[/snapback]

The story on divorce and remarriage is one of those Adventist Review "rear window" stories: They are experts at where the vehicle has been, but seem politically too cautious to say where the vehicle is going. The story is mostly written in the past tense. It has no point of view that you could nail down.

It just says, "The Seventh-day Adventist Church's protracted journey to this point has certainly had its difficulties." I think anyone who follows BSDA noticed that two years ago, if not earlier.

Actually they have cut a great deal from the story of where the "vehicle has been." They did not, for example say anything about what the the "pilot program" at LLU was, nor what the recommendationswere that the committee brought to the GC. They also didn't mention that what came out of GC was only a tattered remnant of what was asked for, or that for some hours, it seemed as though they would not even get this much change, due to the zealous activity by the ultra-right activists to block the whole thing.

+Quote Post
Guest_statrei_*
post Jun 2 2006, 12:25 PM
Post #52

Guests

The church has no message for the world on marriage because we have found a way to ignore all that the Bible teaches about marriage, choosing rather to push "unique" theories even when it should be obvious that they are wrong. It is a shame and a disgrace.

This post has been edited by statrei: Jun 2 2006, 12:59 PM

+Quote Post
inga
post Jun 2 2006, 12:46 PM
Post #53

500 + posts
Group Icon

Member No.: 577

QUOTE(beartrap @ Jun 2 2006, 12:28 AM) [snapback]133181[/snapback]

Yes, there is a religious network that originates in Canada. I don't remember its name right now. They carry programs from a number of different religions.

Newfoundland got a few concessions from the dominion when it joined. So their rules are a bit different, and that's why we have a network based in Newfoundland. And because it is "Canadian content," programs developed through it can be aired in Canada.

By the way, we have our own "It Is Written" program originally directed by Henry Feyerabend, then Shawn Boonstra (until he was lured to the US0, and it is now directed by Bill Santos) See It Is Written, Canada.

Yes, Adventism is very much oriented toward denigrating other denominations and religions in a very public way. Our evangelistic campaigns are based on this.

Though I agree with most things you post, "beartrap," I do disagree most thoroughly with this. It is true that 3ABN seems to feature some evangelists who base their campaigns on denigrating other denominations. I shudder every time a certain popular evangelist speaks because I am uncomfortable with his manner, and once, when I accidentally saw a portion of his presentation he left me open-mouthed at the audacity and un-Christlike spirit demonstrated.

Not all evangelists preach that way. When *Amazing Facts* first got started with Joe Crews, I remember being uncomfortable with his approach -- hard-bitten and confrontational. We were at Andrews University at the time, and there was a campaign to hand out the "This may startle you, but ..." tracts, based on "amazing facts." I remember thinking that anyone converted by that approach would not be converted to Christ, but I hoped that the people following up with Bible studies would supply the missing ingredients.

That was a long time ago, and I've grown in my understanding since then. I am pleased to note that while Doug Batchelor still demonstrates some of the "amazing facts" heritage, he strives to make his presentations Christ-centered, as they should be.

Ellen White specifically warned against the kind of religion/approach which you characterize as being "Adventist." She counseled ministers to "get close" to ministers of other denominations. Among other things, that would nowadays mean joining the local ministerial associations and cooperating in community outreach whenever possible. I know many ministers do exactly that.

Ellen White also wrote that “The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love. The children of God are to manifest His glory. In their own life and character they are to reveal what the grace of God has done for them.” (Christ’s Object Lessons, p. 415)

That is our mission today -- to reveal to the world what the grace of God has done for us. That is the "message" that will precipitate the "final events" because it will bring down the wrath of Satan on the body of Christ, God's last-day people, just as it brought down the wrath of Satan on the physical body of Christ.

Iknow that from the General Conference level, this kind of Adventism is being promoted. Through the Review this kind of Adventism is being promoted. In fact, through all official publications and other media, including HopeTV, this kind of Adventism is being promoted. It's probably the recognition that we need to project the love of Christ as a body that the GC adopted the slogan, "The Caring Church" some years back. Unfortunately we, as members, don't always demonstrate that slogan in our lives.

It is possible to preach the Sabbath in a winning and attractive way without putting anyone down. Of course, Sunday keepers who don't want to hear the truth will be offended, but let us not give reason for offense!! I believe this "winning and attractive" way is what Ellen White meant when she wrote that she saw that in the future the Sabbath would be preached "more fully." The Sabbath is not only the "right day to keep," according to the law, but it is the memorial of God's creative act in the creation of our world. As such it is a testimony to His creative power -- an assurance that He has the power to re-create us in His image. It is a memorial of His "rest" from the work of creating the world, and it gives us rest in our busy lives -- a mini vacation every single week! It is also symbolic of our "rest" from our "own works" and our dependence of the work that Christ did for us on the cross. This is a nutshell view, but it can be and should be presented in a very persuasive and winning way.

All our doctrines should be presented in a Christ-centered way, or they should not be presented at all. If we cannot present a doctrine in a way that demonstrates Christ's character of love, let's leave well enough alone and not present it until we understand it.

You know, at least someone at 3ABN had an idea that God's message for this time is a message of mercy. The slogan of "Mending broken people" fits right in. If only they actually did that, instead of breaking whole people so they need mending!!!!!! no.gif

This post has been edited by inga: Jun 2 2006, 12:48 PM

+Quote Post
beartrap
post Jun 2 2006, 07:23 PM
Post #54

500 + posts
Group Icon

QUOTE(inga @ Jun 2 2006, 01:46 PM) [snapback]133244[/snapback]

Newfoundland got a few concessions from the dominion when it joined. So their rules are a bit different, and that's why we have a network based in Newfoundland. And because it is "Canadian content," programs developed through it can be aired in Canada.

By the way, we have our own "It Is Written" program originally directed by Henry Feyerabend, then Shawn Boonstra (until he was lured to the US0, and it is now directed by Bill Santos) See It Is Written, Canada.
Though I agree with most things you post, "beartrap," I do disagree most thoroughly with this. It is true that 3ABN seems to feature some evangelists who base their campaigns on denigrating other denominations. I shudder every time a certain popular evangelist speaks because I am uncomfortable with his manner, and once, when I accidentally saw a portion of his presentation he left me open-mouthed at the audacity and un-Christlike spirit demonstrated.

Not all evangelists preach that way. When *Amazing Facts* first got started with Joe Crews, I remember being uncomfortable with his approach -- hard-bitten and confrontational. We were at Andrews University at the time, and there was a campaign to hand out the "This may startle you, but ..." tracts, based on "amazing facts." I remember thinking that anyone converted by that approach would not be converted to Christ, but I hoped that the people following up with Bible studies would supply the missing ingredients.

That was a long time ago, and I've grown in my understanding since then. I am pleased to note that while Doug Batchelor still demonstrates some of the "amazing facts" heritage, he strives to make his presentations Christ-centered, as they should be.

Ellen White specifically warned against the kind of religion/approach which you characterize as being "Adventist." She counseled ministers to "get close" to ministers of other denominations. Among other things, that would nowadays mean joining the local ministerial associations and cooperating in community outreach whenever possible. I know many ministers do exactly that.

Ellen White also wrote that “The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love. The children of God are to manifest His glory. In their own life and character they are to reveal what the grace of God has done for them.” (Christ’s Object Lessons, p. 415)

That is our mission today -- to reveal to the world what the grace of God has done for us. That is the "message" that will precipitate the "final events" because it will bring down the wrath of Satan on the body of Christ, God's last-day people, just as it brought down the wrath of Satan on the physical body of Christ.

Iknow that from the General Conference level, this kind of Adventism is being promoted. Through the Review this kind of Adventism is being promoted. In fact, through all official publications and other media, including HopeTV, this kind of Adventism is being promoted. It's probably the recognition that we need to project the love of Christ as a body that the GC adopted the slogan, "The Caring Church" some years back. Unfortunately we, as members, don't always demonstrate that slogan in our lives.

It is possible to preach the Sabbath in a winning and attractive way without putting anyone down. Of course, Sunday keepers who don't want to hear the truth will be offended, but let us not give reason for offense!! I believe this "winning and attractive" way is what Ellen White meant when she wrote that she saw that in the future the Sabbath would be preached "more fully." The Sabbath is not only the "right day to keep," according to the law, but it is the memorial of God's creative act in the creation of our world. As such it is a testimony to His creative power -- an assurance that He has the power to re-create us in His image. It is a memorial of His "rest" from the work of creating the world, and it gives us rest in our busy lives -- a mini vacation every single week! It is also symbolic of our "rest" from our "own works" and our dependence of the work that Christ did for us on the cross. This is a nutshell view, but it can be and should be presented in a very persuasive and winning way.

All our doctrines should be presented in a Christ-centered way, or they should not be presented at all. If we cannot present a doctrine in a way that demonstrates Christ's character of love, let's leave well enough alone and not present it until we understand it.

You know, at least someone at 3ABN had an idea that God's message for this time is a message of mercy. The slogan of "Mending broken people" fits right in. If only they actually did that, instead of breaking whole people so they need mending!!!!!! no.gif

Thanks Inga, and I hope you are right. I can only speak from my observations.

+Quote Post
sister
post Jun 3 2006, 08:34 PM
Post #55

500 + posts
Group Icon

Member No.: 762

QUOTE(Panama_Pete @ Jun 1 2006, 12:29 AM) [snapback]133032[/snapback]

I have some comments.
3ABN is Danny Shelton.

Judge Barbara S. Rowe, in the 3ABN Illinois Tax Case, ruled that 3ABN is a private Shelton business, based on the evidence presented to the court.

I've been to Thompsonville, and I've come away with the impression that 3ABN is 100 percent Danny Shelton. In fact, I think there is nothing about 3ABN that is not Danny Shelton. The 3ABN often-repeated slogan, "Remember, this is God's ministry, not Danny's ministry," strikes me as being a carefully constructed misrepresentation of the facts.

It is an interesting fact that after Linda was fired, Danny put more of his relatives onto the payroll in the "family business". It appears that almost the entire Shelton clan has returned to the fold at 3ABN. Interesting...

As to the slogen, I agree with Panama Pete.

+Quote Post
HUGGINS130
post Jun 4 2006, 10:50 PM
Post #56

5,000 + posts
Group Icon

Member No.: 339

sofa1.gif TVsnack.gif

+Quote Post
sonshineonme
post Jun 4 2006, 11:50 PM
Post #57

1,000 + posts
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,709

Hmmm...scratchchin.gif

Keep an eye out, I think things are about to get even more interesting....

--------------------
Here's the thing - "...if you pull "folks" into a fight you don't know what "weapon" they will bring." PrincessDrRe

"A man who digs a pit for others to fall into, will end up falling into it himself. And if a man rolls a stone on someone, the stone will roll back on him". Said Solomon the wise, Proverbs 26:27

"No man can follow Christ and go astray." William H.P. Faunce

"If I could hear Christ praying for me in the next room, I would not fear a million enemies. Yet distance makes no difference. He is praying for me." Robert M. McCheyne

Click here for Linda Shelton's newly updated website

+Quote Post
Uncle Sam
post Jun 5 2006, 08:49 AM
Post #58

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,650

QUOTE(sonshineonme @ Jun 4 2006, 10:50 PM) [snapback]133438[/snapback]

Hmmm...scratchchin.gif
Keep an eye out, I think things are about to get even more interesting....

I have been reading here all of the negative things going on at 3ABN. There are a few things I don't understand. I have been to 3ABN and have seen Danny's house, been to John Lomacang's house. They are nice but not what I would call extravagant. I don't know but was all of this being written here before the Linda saga began? Was all of this OK or did "we" not know about all of this before? Linda lived there had all of the same perks, why now is it wrong? Also, if Linda is innocent can she not sue for slander? Even if she is not able to tell her side of the story she should be able to defend herself so all of this will stop. If she is unable to do it the courts should be able to stop it. You all say Danny threatens to take people to court so why not do the same? Also, it is stated Linda went on "vacation" with this Dr. is that true? After her and Danny split did she have a relationship with the Dr?

I don't understand all of this. If Danny is so evil he needs to be stopped! If this is true than take some real action. I do not believe so many people are being fooled. Mark Finley and Doug Batchelor seem to be smart guys, as well as others. Surely they would have seen past the charade, if that is what it is...

I believe the devil is having a good old laugh about all of this. I believe 3ABN can/should be discussed but in a helping way, not just gossip. If you have the truth state it, make it make a difference. But if it is only to hurt the person, or ministry than it is only gossip.....

+Quote Post
Chez
post Jun 5 2006, 08:54 AM
Post #59

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,417

QUOTE(HUGGINS130 @ Jun 4 2006, 10:50 PM) [snapback]133433[/snapback]

sofa1.gif TVsnack.gif

You just need to stop it! LOL!! giggle.gif clap.gif roflmao.gif

+Quote Post
Panama_Pete
post Jun 5 2006, 09:30 AM
Post #60

500 + posts
Group Icon

Member No.: 522

QUOTE(Uncle Sam @ Jun 5 2006, 09:49 AM) [snapback]133504[/snapback]

Mark Finley and Doug Batchelor [Amazing Facts] seem to be smart guys, as well as others. Surely they would have seen past the charade, if that is what it is...

Three Angels Lifestyle TV:

A quote from Three Angels Lifetstyle TV:

"We are also working closely with our partners, Three Angels Broadcasting Network and Amazing Facts in the USA...."

Dear U.S.,

Amazing Facts is listed as a "partner" with 3ABN in Three Angels Lifestyle TV.

Therefore, I think there is the possibility that Amazing Facts is too close to the trees to see the forest.

+Quote Post

11 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 6 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd March 2008 - 03:59 PM
Design by: Download IPB Skins & eBusiness
BlackSDA has no official affiliation or endorsement from the Seventh-day Adventist church