Archive of http://www.blacksda.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=10728&st=30 preserved for the defense in 3ABN and Danny Shelton v. Joy and Pickle.
Links altered to maintain their integrity and aid in navigation, but content otherwise unchanged.
Saved at 05:03:05 PM on March 23, 2008.
IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

16 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Prejudice in the Adventist Church
Denny
post Sep 4 2006, 06:46 AM
Post #31

5,000 + posts
Group Icon

Group: Charter Member
Member No.: 2

QUOTE(Reflection @ Sep 4 2006, 01:42 PM) [snapback]149559[/snapback]

Denny: Tell me where I can read more about this story. Thanks!

We Have Tomorrow: The Story of American Seventh-Day Adventists With an African Heritage (Hardcover)
by Louis Bernard Reynolds

--------------------
Queen Den

March- Ok where is spring? ..
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
simplysaved
post Sep 4 2006, 07:40 AM
Post #32

5,000 + posts
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 830

How many Blacks would have joined a church where the immediate leadership is white? I have said this before and I will state again: A church is predjudice if I go the church and feel unwanted, not accepted, and/or I am told that I am not welcome there. Am I saying that this does not happen? Of course not....but how many times do we whites at our churches and make THEM feel uncomfortable?

I do feel that in general, Black churches were and still are needed. There are many, many, many who would never be able to make it past the cultural barrier on the front end...but may get it on the tail. There are many Black leader that would not have had the opportunites--and vice versa if predoominately Black Conferences did not exist.

QUOTE(Clay @ Sep 4 2006, 06:19 AM) [snapback]149541[/snapback]

no..... regional conferences were formed when the black leadership asked the white leaders to be included in the organizational structure..... the white brethren responded by proposing regional conferences......

and no adventists are not the only ones who have separated themselves based on color.....

--------------------
"No weapon formed against YOU (Sarah--and every Believer/Servant of God) shall prosper and every tongue that rises against you in judgement you will condemn...."--Isaiah 54:17

+Quote Post
Denny
post Sep 4 2006, 08:19 AM
Post #33

5,000 + posts
Group Icon

QUOTE(simplysaved @ Sep 4 2006, 02:40 PM) [snapback]149578[/snapback]

[color=#993399How many Blacks would have joined a church where the immediate leadership is white? I have said this before and I will state again: A church is predjudice if I go the church and feel unwanted, not accepted, and/or I am told that I am not welcome there. Am I saying that this does not happen? Of course not....but how many times do we whites at our churches and make THEM feel uncomfortable?

I do feel that in general, Black churches were and still are needed. There are many, many, many who would never be able to make it past the cultural barrier on the front end...but may get it on the tail. There are many Black leader that would not have had the opportunites--and vice versa if predoominately Black Conferences did not exist. [/color]

Black Adventists have been doing this for years from the beginning of our history.....the reason for Black churches is becasue the white membership welcomed the black slave members and freemen with open arms...... NOT. So now one could say in theory the white members of Christianity have accepted or been forced to accept that their non white members were never inferior in the first place but the practise has not caught up with the professed belief.. but yet we all still singing We marching to Zion......every Sunday and Saturday. yeah right must be a segregated one

This post has been edited by Denny: Sep 4 2006, 08:46 AM

--------------------
Queen Den

+Quote Post
Clay
post Sep 4 2006, 08:45 AM
Post #34

5,000 + posts
Group Icon

Group: Administrator
Member No.: 4

white adventist members have always been welcomed, accepted, and incorporated into the workings of a black church...... probably a lot faster than black members in a white church....

The issue is if when the members of color exceed some unspoken number the white members begin to leave for other places....

--------------------
"you are as sick as your secrets...." -quote from Celebrity Rehab-

+Quote Post
Denny
post Sep 4 2006, 08:48 AM
Post #35

5,000 + posts
Group Icon

QUOTE(Clay @ Sep 4 2006, 03:45 PM) [snapback]149621[/snapback]

white adventist members have always been welcomed, accepted, and incorporated into the workings of a black church...... probably a lot faster than black members in a white church....

The issue is if when the members of color exceed some unspoken number the white members begin to leave for other places....

I wonder what the magic number is.. where 2 or 3 (non whites) are gathered in His name its time to flee???? scratchchin.gif

--------------------
Queen Den

+Quote Post
HUGGINS130
post Sep 4 2006, 08:49 AM
Post #36

5,000 + posts
Group Icon

Member No.: 339

QUOTE(Clay @ Sep 4 2006, 08:45 AM) [snapback]149621[/snapback]

Ya'll the hip hop community ain't been callin it the "dirty south" for the last decade just because...

This post has been edited by HUGGINS130: Sep 4 2006, 08:50 AM

+Quote Post
Denny
post Sep 4 2006, 08:52 AM
Post #37

5,000 + posts
Group Icon

QUOTE(HUGGINS130 @ Sep 4 2006, 03:49 PM) [snapback]149626[/snapback]

Ya'll the hip hop community ain't been callin it the "dirty south" for the last decade just because...

To be fair I'm sure the 'dirty south' does not have a monopoly on this behaviour, in the UK the white membership is very small, (it was almost non existent 30 years ago) in a country where they make up 96% of the population, perhaps our white Adventist brethern fear the U.K effect? scratchchin.gif

--------------------
Queen Den

+Quote Post
princessdi
post Sep 4 2006, 10:32 AM
Post #38

5,000 + posts
Group Icon

Member No.: 47

No one is working on uniting the conferences. The GC president in response to OC students questions about separate conferences, spun it as ethnic diversity and said he had no plans to change it. I think that interview was posted here somewhere, also. Does anyone remember that?

QUOTE(Reflection @ Sep 4 2006, 05:38 AM) [snapback]149554[/snapback]

Are there any books on this topic/the history of it all, attempts to change it, etc.? Anyone working on one at this time? And if not, do you know why?

I have seen this happen in several churches and at least one school here in Nothern CA. The white members never, ever, let you know you are not welcome. They are just a firendly as they can be, as they put their homes up for sale and move to outlying areas, or eventually decide to drive an extra 30 mins to the church where there are less if any blacks.

I agree whites have always been welcomed at our church. In fact, we have several white members.

QUOTE(simplysaved @ Sep 4 2006, 06:40 AM) [snapback]149578[/snapback]

How many Blacks would have joined a church where the immediate leadership is white? I have said this before and I will state again: A church is predjudice if I go the church and feel unwanted, not accepted, and/or I am told that I am not welcome there. Am I saying that this does not happen? Of course not....but how many times do we whites at our churches and make THEM feel uncomfortable?

I do feel that in general, Black churches were and still are needed. There are many, many, many who would never be able to make it past the cultural barrier on the front end...but may get it on the tail. There are many Black leader that would not have had the opportunites--and vice versa if predoominately Black Conferences did not exist.

--------------------
TTFN
Di

And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose---Romans 8:28

A great many people believe they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.-- William James

It is better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.- Mark Twain

+Quote Post
Reflection
post Sep 4 2006, 02:45 PM
Post #39

Member No.: 2,203

QUOTE(princessdi @ Sep 4 2006, 10:32 AM) [snapback]149681[/snapback]

The white members never, ever, let you know you are not welcome.

I don't know. There was that lady from the Caribean whose husband was told (politely) that he was looking for the church over yonder. But that is the only story I ever heard like that.

+Quote Post
MsHoly1
post Sep 4 2006, 03:11 PM
Post #40

5,000 + posts
Group Icon

Member No.: 44

QUOTE(Clay @ Sep 4 2006, 10:45 AM) [snapback]149621[/snapback]

signthankspin.gif ...Took the words right outta me mouth...but even in general. Whenever I visit other churches, the reception is always warmer and much, MUCH friendlier at white churches than at black churches.

--------------------

+Quote Post
princessdi
post Sep 4 2006, 03:33 PM
Post #41

5,000 + posts
Group Icon

Reflection, you are right, I stand corrected. last year this time when my family went to our timeshare for the weekend, my Mom and Pop took the time on Friday to locate the local SDA church. We knew it would be an at least mostly white church because of the area, but this wasso they felt it would be ok, as they have visited white churches all over and never has a problem.

Anyway the went to SS, as is their custom, and upon arriving recieved no welcome. They only got different members, including the pastor peeeking around the corner at them. Only about three people spoke to them at all, they didn't even have a welcome during church service. Two of the people who spoke was a couple who came out to do the obligatory "Iain't prejudice" conversation about the one or two blacks they knew, and then proceded to asked some questions about somethey they heard and it started with, "I heard you people.........'. So you are quite right.

Let me rephrase and apologize for the confusion. Some who allow black to join their church will not let you feel unwelcomed, but be putting their house up for sale to one of the outlying communities, or decide to drive anothe 30 mins to the all white church or at least one with less black members.

QUOTE(Reflection @ Sep 4 2006, 01:45 PM) [snapback]149751[/snapback]
I don't know. There was that lady from the Caribean whose husband was told (politely) that he was looking for the church over yonder. But that is the only story I ever heard like that.

--------------------
TTFN
Di

And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose---Romans 8:28

A great many people believe they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.-- William James

It is better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.- Mark Twain

+Quote Post
missthg
post Sep 4 2006, 05:41 PM
Post #42

1,000 + posts
Group Icon

Member No.: 9

When Diane's Mother told me that - I fell out laffing. Cos Di is being nice and aint tell it all. They came back to their timeshare at about 11:15 because of the unwelcome they received at that church.

QUOTE(princessdi @ Sep 4 2006, 02:33 PM) [snapback]149758[/snapback]

Reflection, you are right, I stand corrected. last year this time when my family went to our timeshare for the weekend, my Mom and Pop took the time on Friday to locate the local SDA church. We knew it would be an at least mostly white church because of the area, but this wasso they felt it would be ok, as they have visited white churches all over and never has a problem.

Anyway the went to SS, as is their custom, and upon arriving recieved no welcome. They only got different members, including the pastor peeeking around the corner at them. Only about three people spoke to them at all, they didn't even have a welcome during church service. Two of the people who spoke was a couple who came out to do the obligatory "Iain't prejudice" conversation about the one or two blacks they knew, and then proceded to asked some questions about somethey they heard and it started with, "I heard you people.........'. So you are quite right.

Let me rephrase and apologize for the confusion. Some who allow black to join their church will not let you feel unwelcomed, but be putting their house up for sale to one of the outlying communities, or decide to drive anothe 30 mins to the all white church or at least one with less black members.

--------------------
life is too short to knit with ugly yarn....
www.knitfloozy.blogspot.com

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

+Quote Post
Reflection
post Sep 4 2006, 09:22 PM
Post #43

Member No.: 2,203

QUOTE(Denny @ Sep 4 2006, 06:46 AM) [snapback]149562[/snapback]

We Have Tomorrow: The Story of American Seventh-Day Adventists With an African Heritage (Hardcover)
by Louis Bernard Reynolds

Thanks Denny! My husband happened to have this book in storage, so we dusted it off today.

QUOTE(princessdi @ Sep 4 2006, 03:33 PM) [snapback]149758[/snapback]

[color=#993399]Reflection, you are right, I stand corrected. lcolor]

Wouldn't it be interesting to create some kind of forum and do a kind of "secret worshiper" activity? Kind of like "secret shopper." The idea would be (and I'm just brainstorming now) that individuals would visit churches and tell the story of their reception and try not to exaggerate in the telling. Give the name of the church and all on the forum, but not names of individuals. Don't know if that's a good idea or not. But it might be a kind of "action research" though not formal. The information might be useful to congregations and conferences reflected back in a constructive way.

+Quote Post
princessdi
post Sep 4 2006, 09:26 PM
Post #44

5,000 + posts
Group Icon

Yes, Reflection, but who would they report it to, and what would they do about it. From GC level, the segregation is now seen as "positive cultural diversity". Which is ridiculous, but is works for some.

QUOTE(Reflection @ Sep 4 2006, 07:22 PM) [snapback]149810[/snapback]

Thanks Denny! My husband happened to have this book in storage, so we dusted it off today.
Wouldn't it be interesting to create some kind of forum and do a kind of "secret worshiper" activity? Kind of like "secret shopper." The idea would be (and I'm just brainstorming now) that individuals would visit churches and tell the story of their reception and try not to exaggerate in the telling. Give the name of the church and all on the forum, but not names of individuals. Don't know if that's a good idea or not. But it might be a kind of "action research" though not formal. The information might be useful to congregations and conferences reflected back in a constructive way.

--------------------
TTFN
Di

+Quote Post
PrincessDrRe
post Sep 4 2006, 09:50 PM
Post #45

PrincessDrRe
Group Icon

Group: Financial Donor
Member No.: 712

QUOTE(Voktar of Zargon @ Sep 3 2006, 10:45 AM) [snapback]149460[/snapback]

Sorry,
The story is a little dated. Approximately 7 years old.

...but it's still going on now..... the "general" story may be 7 years old; but the actions are still the same....

QUOTE(Denny @ Sep 4 2006, 08:26 AM) [snapback]149550[/snapback]

I see was it supposed to be separate but equal or something?

QUOTE(Clay @ Sep 4 2006, 08:39 AM) [snapback]149555[/snapback]

yes... or something.....

Separate - but not equal by a long shot.....more "something" than not....

--------------------
*"Some folks use their ignorance like a umbrella. It covers everything, they perodically take it out from time to time, but it never is too far away from them."*
PrincessDrRe; March, 2007

~"Blood = Meat, Face = Meat, Internal "Organs" = Meat - you can try to make it cuter; but it's still meat...."~
PrincessDrRe; September, 2007

*(NOTE: Any advice given by Re' Silvey, MSW is not to be taken as medical/mental health advice. Although trained to be a counselor, currently employed as a therapist, and currently pursuing her PhD in Counseling Psychology (ABD/I) - she is not your assigned therapist. Please consult a mental health professional of your choice for a face-to-face consultation.)*

+Quote Post

16 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd March 2008 - 04:03 PM
Design by: Download IPB Skins & eBusiness
BlackSDA has no official affiliation or endorsement from the Seventh-day Adventist church