Archive of http://www.blacksda.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=10728&st=45 preserved for the defense in 3ABN and Danny Shelton v. Joy and Pickle.
Links altered to maintain their integrity and aid in navigation, but content otherwise unchanged.
Saved at 05:03:09 PM on March 23, 2008.
IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

16 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 6 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Prejudice in the Adventist Church
Denny
post Sep 5 2006, 04:11 AM
Post #46

5,000 + posts
Group Icon

Group: Charter Member
Member No.: 2

"We marching to Zion beautiful, beautiful Zion. We're marching upward to Zion that beautiful segregated town." band.gif rap.gif band2.gif band3.gif sing2.gif

--------------------
Queen Den

March- Ok where is spring? ..
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Reflection
post Sep 5 2006, 08:42 AM
Post #47

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,203

QUOTE(princessdi @ Sep 4 2006, 09:26 PM) [snapback]149813[/snapback]

Yes, Reflection, but who would they report it to, and what would they do about it. From GC level, the segregation is now seen as "positive cultural diversity". Which is ridiculous, but is works for some.

Don't know. I'm thinking that the nature of the reports, and the locations would determine that. Maybe someone can develop a kind of questionaire for those who don't have much confidence in their own writing. That way anyone would be willing to do it. Here's another thought. If a church gives a cold shoulder to a visitor, maybe then more people could follow up to see if it was a fluke. You know, everyone's distracted, bad timing, and the church bigot happens to greet a person/family. Anyway, maybe some interesting things would develop along the way. It would certainly add much that is useful to the dialog. Who knows what good might come of it? Anyone else have any thoughts on this idea?

QUOTE(Denny @ Sep 5 2006, 04:11 AM) [snapback]149854[/snapback]

"We marching to Zion beautiful, beautiful Zion. We're marching upward to Zion that beautiful segregated town." band.gif rap.gif band2.gif band3.gif sing2.gif

Love your band! clapping.gif They are a little misinformed though! thumbdown.gif

+Quote Post
Denny
post Sep 5 2006, 08:44 AM
Post #48

5,000 + posts
Group Icon

Just a thought has the NAD in session ever discussed uniting the conferences, has a vote ever been taken to either continue with the status quo or look into ways to end it if the majority desire it scratchchin.gif

QUOTE(Reflection @ Sep 5 2006, 02:42 PM) [snapback]149914[/snapback]

Don't know. I'm thinking that the nature of the reports, and the locations would determine that. Maybe someone can develop a kind of questionaire for those who don't have much confidence in their own writing. That way anyone would be willing to do it. Here's another thought. If a church gives a cold shoulder to a visitor, maybe then more people could follow up to see if it was a fluke. You know, everyone's distracted, bad timing, and the church bigot happens to greet a person/family. Anyway, maybe some interesting things would develop along the way. It would certainly add much that is useful to the dialog. Who knows what good might come of it? Anyone else have any thoughts on this idea?
Love your band! clapping.gif They are a little misinformed though! thumbdown.gif

Thanks! But the band is singing about what we practise not about what we preach and we know actions speak louder than words.....

--------------------
Queen Den

+Quote Post
seeshell
post Sep 5 2006, 09:56 AM
Post #49

1,000 + posts
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,679

Prejudice in the SDA church is reprehensible, as, IMO, are the separate conferences. Now, I have to ask...is the separation desired only by whites? Because a black gentleman came to my church one Sabbath and at potluck someone brought up this subject with him. His comments about the matter were to the effect that there are some in black leadership who are unwilling to merge because they fear they will lose their power, if I remember correctly. It is probably a justifiable fear, but is it cool to stand in the way of progress out of regard for one's own standing?

I don't doubt there are plenty of bigots on the "white side" of things, but in order to have a successful merging of the conferences, won't we have to convince some in black leadership as well as white that it is the thing to do?

Personally, I wish it wasn't such a big deal...I'd like to have black friends and white friends and all kinds of friends without the thought of how "accepting" I am even occurring or being any kind of issue at all. But...we live in an imperfect world. dunno.gif

--------------------
Shelley

"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog." Mark Twain

"It is not my first object in life to make people like me." Elizabeth Prentiss

"Níor dhún Dia doras riamh nar oscail Sé ceann eile."

+Quote Post
Clay
post Sep 5 2006, 10:00 AM
Post #50

5,000 + posts
Group Icon

Group: Administrator
Member No.: 4

QUOTE(seeshell @ Sep 5 2006, 10:56 AM) [snapback]149951[/snapback]

Prejudice in the SDA church is reprehensible, as, IMO, are the separate conferences. Now, I have to ask...is the separation desired only by whites? Because a black gentleman came to my church one Sabbath and at potluck someone brought up this subject with him. His comments about the matter were to the effect that there are some in black leadership who are unwilling to merge because they fear they will lose their power, if I remember correctly. It is probably a justifiable fear, but is it cool to stand in the way of progress out of regard for one's own standing?

I don't doubt there are plenty of bigots on the "white side" of things, but in order to have a successful merging of the conferences, won't we have to convince some in black leadership as well as white that it is the thing to do?

Personally, I wish it wasn't such a big deal...I'd like to have black friends and white friends and all kinds of friends without the thought of how "accepting" I am even occurring or being any kind of issue at all. But...we live in an imperfect world. dunno.gif

i think it has evolved into a power thing now... neither group wants to lose the power they have... so they are protecting their territory...

--------------------
"you are as sick as your secrets...." -quote from Celebrity Rehab-

+Quote Post
Denny
post Sep 5 2006, 10:02 AM
Post #51

5,000 + posts
Group Icon

QUOTE(seeshell @ Sep 5 2006, 04:56 PM) [snapback]149951[/snapback]

Well for a start I suppose they can bus the employees from the white conference to the regional conference and vice versa........ afro.gif

--------------------
Queen Den

+Quote Post
Reflection
post Sep 5 2006, 10:07 AM
Post #52

QUOTE(Clay @ Sep 5 2006, 10:00 AM) [snapback]149954[/snapback]

i think it has evolved into a power thing now... neither group wants to lose the power they have... so they are protecting their territory...

Ditto to Denny: Just a thought has the NAD in session ever discussed uniting the conferences, has a vote ever been taken to either continue with the status quo or look into ways to end it if the majority desire it

Does anyone have knowledge of any published statements or documents regarding this issue?

+Quote Post
seeshell
post Sep 5 2006, 10:28 AM
Post #53

1,000 + posts
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,679

QUOTE(Clay @ Sep 5 2006, 10:00 AM) [snapback]149954[/snapback]

Yes, that seems to be accurate.

QUOTE(Denny @ Sep 5 2006, 10:02 AM) [snapback]149956[/snapback]

Well for a start I suppose they can bus the employees from the white conference to the regional conference and vice versa........ afro.gif

There's a good beginning! I like that solid and practical advice! lollarge.gif

--------------------
Shelley

"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog." Mark Twain

"It is not my first object in life to make people like me." Elizabeth Prentiss

"Níor dhún Dia doras riamh nar oscail Sé ceann eile."

+Quote Post
awesumtenor
post Sep 5 2006, 10:59 AM
Post #54

5,000 + posts
Group Icon

Member No.: 15

QUOTE(seeshell @ Sep 5 2006, 11:56 AM) [snapback]149951[/snapback]

Part of the problem is that returning to how things were pre-1948 when the regional conferences were founded would not be viewed as making 'progress' and in many parts of the country, the churches currently served by regional conferences would be once again left without a voice at the conference level or above. Case in point... in 1901, under the presidency of A. G. Daniels, the Washington DC Seventh-day Adventist church was involuntarily segregated, with the black members of the church forced to form a new church, then called People's Seventh-day Adventist Church and which ultimately became the Dupont Park church...and the white members forming a new congregation which later became 1st church in Washington DC... which, ironically is now a regional conference church... the member's of People's were exhorted to give for the building of what is now the GC infrastructure in Maryland as well as the Sligo church in Takoma Park, with the promise that the church would later give them funds to help them build their own church...

They are still waiting for those funds, BTW. Over the years, the issues which were of import to the african american church... whether they be evangelism, church support for building, issues of social justice... often have not been a priority, even with the existence of regional conferences because they still lack votes at the union level... even as recently as Net 2004 run by Walter Pearson and Breath of Life... there were many non-regional conference churches which did not carry that series at all, opting instead to run the Doug Batchelor Amazing Facts evangelistic series which occurred about a month later... in spite of the fact that for previous Net efforts the decks were essentially cleared of other evangelism that would detract from Net 2000/2001/2002/2003. Other churches made arrangements to get the services on VHS or DVD and make them available to their members but did not actually participate by advertising, distributing handbills or door hangers and the like.

In the face of such I cannot place blame on the regional conferences because it has never been the regional conferences which set the terms of their interaction with the other conferences in their union or with the church at large.

BMTJM...

If the tenor of the relationship with the "white side" were to change due to an earnest thawing of the inclinations they have regarding "the black side", I doubt that you'd have to convince black leadership too much... and given that in the last few years several predominantly white churches with white pastors have opted to join the "black" conference instead of the "white" conference, at least in the Columbia Union, if that continues, it could make the whole argument moot.

In His service,
Mr. J

--------------------
There is no one more dangerous than one who thinks he knows God with a mind that is ignorant - Dr. Lewis Anthony

You’ve got to be real comfortable in your own skin to survive the animosity your strength evokes in people you'd hope would like you. - Dr. Renita Weems

+Quote Post
missthg
post Sep 5 2006, 02:28 PM
Post #55

1,000 + posts
Group Icon

Member No.: 9

That is hilariousi loove the band!!!! did they get a recording contract yet? We can put them on We are Not Racists Records....

QUOTE(Denny @ Sep 5 2006, 02:11 AM) [snapback]149854[/snapback]

--------------------
life is too short to knit with ugly yarn....
www.knitfloozy.blogspot.com

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

+Quote Post
PrincessDrRe
post Sep 5 2006, 04:24 PM
Post #56

PrincessDrRe
Group Icon

Group: Financial Donor
Member No.: 712

QUOTE(Denny @ Sep 5 2006, 06:11 AM) [snapback]149854[/snapback]

QUOTE(Denny @ Sep 5 2006, 12:02 PM) [snapback]149956[/snapback]

Denny you got me rollin'!!!

rofl1.gif roflmao.gif rofl1.gif

--------------------
*"Some folks use their ignorance like a umbrella. It covers everything, they perodically take it out from time to time, but it never is too far away from them."*
PrincessDrRe; March, 2007

~"Blood = Meat, Face = Meat, Internal "Organs" = Meat - you can try to make it cuter; but it's still meat...."~
PrincessDrRe; September, 2007

*(NOTE: Any advice given by Re' Silvey, MSW is not to be taken as medical/mental health advice. Although trained to be a counselor, currently employed as a therapist, and currently pursuing her PhD in Counseling Psychology (ABD/I) - she is not your assigned therapist. Please consult a mental health professional of your choice for a face-to-face consultation.)*

+Quote Post
Denny
post Sep 6 2006, 03:04 AM
Post #57

5,000 + posts
Group Icon

QUOTE(missthg @ Sep 5 2006, 09:28 PM) [snapback]150053[/snapback]

That is hilariousi loove the band!!!! did they get a recording contract yet? We can put them on We are Not Racists Records....

Thanks the band is called 'Your church is across the road" tongue.gif Their first album is going to be called Young, gifted and separate"

This post has been edited by Denny: Sep 6 2006, 03:05 AM

--------------------
Queen Den

+Quote Post
Reflection
post Sep 6 2006, 08:53 AM
Post #58

QUOTE(Denny @ Sep 6 2006, 03:04 AM) [snapback]150230[/snapback]

Thanks the band is called 'Your church is across the road" tongue.gif Their first album is going to be called Young, gifted and separate"

roflmao.gif lol.gif lol.gif roflmao.gif roflmao.gif I think you're on a roll now!

+Quote Post
PrincessDrRe
post Sep 6 2006, 06:08 PM
Post #59

PrincessDrRe
Group Icon

Group: Financial Donor
Member No.: 712

QUOTE(Denny @ Sep 6 2006, 04:04 AM) [snapback]150230[/snapback]

And their Hit "remix" -

We Come To Worship Him - Only With Our Kind

--------------------
*"Some folks use their ignorance like a umbrella. It covers everything, they perodically take it out from time to time, but it never is too far away from them."*
PrincessDrRe; March, 2007

~"Blood = Meat, Face = Meat, Internal "Organs" = Meat - you can try to make it cuter; but it's still meat...."~
PrincessDrRe; September, 2007

*(NOTE: Any advice given by Re' Silvey, MSW is not to be taken as medical/mental health advice. Although trained to be a counselor, currently employed as a therapist, and currently pursuing her PhD in Counseling Psychology (ABD/I) - she is not your assigned therapist. Please consult a mental health professional of your choice for a face-to-face consultation.)*

+Quote Post
alramwill
post Sep 6 2006, 07:09 PM
Post #60

1,000 + posts
Group Icon

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 357

QUOTE(PrincessDrRe @ Sep 6 2006, 06:08 PM) [snapback]150375[/snapback]

And their Hit "remix" -

We Come To Worship Him - Only With Our Kind

lollarge.gif That's jacked.

--------------------
Very Sir Lord Al the Schweppervescent of Waterless St Mildred, CompTIA A+ Certified Technician & BlackSDA Moderator (Technology Discussion)

"I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ." - Mahatma Gandhi
"Today, you always know whether you are on the Internet or on your PC's hard drive. Tomorrow, you will not care and may not even know." - Bill Gates
"I'm not concerned about all hell breaking loose, but that a PART of hell will break loose... it'll be much harder to detect." - George Carlin
"There is hope for the future because God has a sense of humor and we are funny to God." - Bill Cosby
"Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind." - Albert Einstein

Problems or issues? Dial 1-877-SNIFFLE
Want to know what I really think? Dial 1-888-CFI-CARE

+Quote Post

16 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 6 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd March 2008 - 04:03 PM
Design by: Download IPB Skins & eBusiness
BlackSDA has no official affiliation or endorsement from the Seventh-day Adventist church