Archive of http://www.blacksda.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=11955&st=255 preserved for the defense in 3ABN and Danny Shelton v. Joy and Pickle.
Links altered to maintain their integrity and aid in navigation, but content otherwise unchanged.
Saved at 04:38:16 PM on March 23, 2008.
IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

26 Pages V  « < 16 17 18 19 20 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Tommy Shelton Vindicated!, I hope.
Grace
post Feb 18 2007, 03:16 PM
Post #256

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,708

no2.gif
QUOTE(Noahswife @ Feb 18 2007, 09:53 PM) [snapback]179118[/snapback]
I don't recall reading anywhere that anyone has denied that the email labeled as a confession from Tommy is not in fact written by him.

see: http://www.save3abn.com/tommy-shelton-confession.htm

There is nothing in this letter that would cause me to conclude that Tommy has not done what has been alleged. Failure to out right deny the allegations when given the opportunity to do so I find significant.

Tommy again uses conversational terrorism to blame his accusers for the pain caused his family and the loss of any souls who learn of the allegations.

I wonder if Tommy ever blames Danny for this new public awareness of Tommy's past that may have gone entirely unnoticed if Danny had handled Linda's removal at 3abn and their divorce differently?

I wonder if Tommy sent this letter after talking to his legal representative? scratchchin.gif

nw

Very true, NW. I see conversational terrorism (thanks for your post on that, NW!) all over TS's letter, especially accusing others of having done such unfair and abusive things to him (and his family), playing the "poor me" and the "I'm such a nice guy"... His game is blaming his accusers of all sort of evil things, discrediting them... but never addressing the real issue: Is he guilty or is he not? He must know by now that he can't play "innocent", so he tries to play "victim".

uhm.gif nonono.gif notworking.gif

--------------------
Grace

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Lenni
post Feb 18 2007, 04:20 PM
Post #257

Member No.: 2,935

[quote name='Pickle' date='Feb 18 2007, 01:12 PM' post='179087']
I received this open letter last night anonymously. This is the very type of thing I asked Danny for last November, and I wish so much that it had been sent to me back then. Why has it taken so long to get it?

Hopefully it will answer some of our questions.

Tommy's wife, Carol, also wrote an "open letter" addressed to the church at Dunn Loring. When I read it, I wanted to scream. I don't have it in front of me right now but she states that she believes all of us have been victimized in one way or another and, basically, states that it is our own responsibility to get the help we need and essentially get over it. I reread it again last night and I'm still fuming over it!

+Quote Post
Noahswife
post Feb 18 2007, 05:07 PM
Post #258

500 + posts
Group Icon

Member No.: 2,683

Can you say ENABLER?

nw

This post has been edited by Noahswife: Feb 18 2007, 05:08 PM

--------------------
“I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.” C.S. Lewis

"To love means loving the unlovable. To forgive means pardoning the unpardonable. Faith means believing the unbelievable. Hope means hoping when everything seems hopeless." G. K. Chesterton

+Quote Post
dedication
post Feb 18 2007, 05:19 PM
Post #259

Welcome Newbie

Member No.: 2,166

QUOTE(sister @ Jan 3 2007, 10:22 PM) [snapback]167388[/snapback]

Personally I know that the Mundalls wrote out a statement and signed it and it was given to the Illinois Conference President at the time. How do I know this is true? Directly from the mouth of the Mundall source. Are allegations of child molestation against Tommy Shelton included in this document, YES. How do I know, from the same Mundall source. When will the document be released? At the appropriate time and place.

..... Since the Illinois Conference President was also a sitting memeber of the 3ABN board, it appears that the Mundalls gave their evidence to an official whom they believed would both have influence and be above reproach since he was not controlled financially by 3ABN. Also, keep in mind that Tommy Shelton was not then, nor has he been since, a member of the SDA church. Thus SDA church has no authority over Tommy. But since Danny Shelton publically claims not to be independent, but rather a supporting ministry of the SDA church, it should have influence with him in regard to these matters.

Sister

I have lots of Questions-- concerning things that don't quite add up.

The statement has been made that Danny misled the 3ABN board into thinking Tommy's perverse activities were 30 years old.
The statement has been made that Elder Thompson accepted this to be true because Danny lied to him.

But NOW I read that in 1991 the board was made fully aware of Tommy's propensities to sin -- (that's only 15 years ago) so they were NOT ignorant at all. They KNEW!

A statement was also made that Danny put 3ABN and the Illinois conference in financial jeopardy by lying to them about Tommy, but now I find out that the 3ABN board and the Illinois conference already knew about the problem.

+Quote Post
PeacefulBe
post Feb 18 2007, 05:41 PM
Post #260

1,000 + posts
Group Icon

Member No.: 2,169

lenni,
Do you have access to the letter from Carol? If so, could you post it?

PB

--------------------
Got Peace?

John 14:27 Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid.

"Truth welcomes examination and doesn't need to defend itself, while deception hides in darkness and blames everyone else." Aunt B, 2007

+Quote Post
Pickle
post Feb 18 2007, 06:02 PM
Post #261

1,000 + posts
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,960

I agree, Dedication, it doesn't quite make sense.

Now if we look at Tommy's open letter, he claims in it that the first allegations were raised in September 1985, which doesn't jive with either Brad Dunning's recollections (1982-1983) or Walt Thompson's statements (30 years ago).

One thing that puts it possibly in a different light is to look at who was on the board in 1991 compared with 2003. Whoever was not on the board in 1991 would not necessarily know in 2003 what happened back then.

And how much the current conference administration knew about 1991 is uncertain to me at this point.

Yet a plaintiff might argue that they should have known more than they did (Danny's statements to Walt in 2003 do not help), and would a jury agree?

Dedication,

I just looked and Walt Thompson, according to the December 2005 issue of 3ABN World, had been on the board at that time nearly 20 years.

Unfortunately, that raises questions about the truthfulness of Dr. Thompson when he said the allegations were about 30 years old. How could he say that if he was present at the board meetings that took up the issue in 1991?

Or are we missing something?

Bob

+Quote Post
dedication
post Feb 18 2007, 06:15 PM
Post #262

Welcome Newbie

QUOTE(Ralph @ Jan 6 2007, 12:42 AM) [snapback]167888[/snapback]

I am proud of Brad and proud of his relatives. He had trust enough in them to speak up and they believed him and took the appropriate action. When a youth has that kind of support, he can meet up with unfortunate incidents, and yet come out on top. Brad has demonstrated this in his life.

It is a delicate task to caution a child and yet not make him/her suspicious of everyone.

Excellent thoughts!!
Yes, justice should be served to perpetrators, and I'm still wondering why action wasn't taken in 1991 and why the board and the Illinios Conference are depicted as "unknowing" when it was just shown that they KNEW....

But your thoughts are right on target, for
the only real safety for our young people in a world gone crazy with sexual perversions, pronography, and exploitation is to train our young people to recognize and resist danger.

Personally I find the governments rather hypocritical -- on the one hand they are tough on "perpetrators" -- which they should be, --- but on the other hand they allow more and more outright provocative material to float around in every public place (and even invading uninvited into private space) that only feeds the beastly propensities that make up the drives of the perpetrators.

We do need to teach our young people to recognize and resist evil, even if it comes from a "respected" source. And yes, that is an important and delicate task!!!

This world will never be a safe place prior to the new earth.

What I find even more disturbing about Tommy's approach -- much more disturbing than any assumed medical condition is how he brings GOD into the mess, and actually uses the name of the Holy Righteous God to promote sin.

"He said that he had prayed about it, and God showed him how that he could be healed. He told me that God showed him that................

That is taking the name of the Lord in vain in the most hideous way.

+Quote Post
dedication
post Feb 18 2007, 07:22 PM
Post #263

Welcome Newbie

QUOTE(Pickle @ Feb 18 2007, 06:02 PM) [snapback]179188[/snapback]

I agree, Dedication, it doesn't quite make sense.

Now if we look at Tommy's open letter, he claims in it that the first allegations were raised in September 1985, which doesn't jive with either Brad Dunning's recollections (1982-1983) or Walt Thompson's statements (30 years ago).

Well -- Brad may be referring to the time he was actually experiencing the problem.

Tommy may be reporting the time allegations were actually raised. Which of course would be later than the actual time the activity took place.

And W. Thompson was probably speaking in rounded figures pushing the 80's as far into the past as rounding would allow. After all -- the emphases meant by his statement was "it was a looong time ago".

One thing that puts it possibly in a different light is to look at who was on the board in 1991 compared with 2003. Whoever was not on the board in 1991 would not necessarily know in 2003 what happened back then.

And how much the current conference administration knew about 1991 is uncertain to me at this point.

Though there are probably new members -- things like that usually are not forgotten by those who were there earlier, and one of the function of a board is to "discuss" matters and enlighten new members on the particulars.

Yet a plaintiff might argue that they should have known more than they did (Danny's statements to Walt in 2003 do not help), and would a jury agree?

I just looked and Walt Thompson, according to the December 2005 issue of 3ABN World, had been on the board at that time nearly 20 years.

Unfortunately, that raises questions about the truthfulness of Dr. Thompson when he said the allegations were about 30 years old. How could he say that if he was present at the board meetings that took up the issue in 1991?

I think the point of Danny lying to the board isn't totally true. It may well have been all the "older" members justifying their hiring of Tommy by saying -- "it was a loong time ago -- about 30 years."
The board would have KNOWN.
----------------------------

"Or are we missing something?"

Bob
---------------------------

Probably -- life situations can be pretty complex with lots of angles.

+Quote Post
Whtz Happenin
post Feb 18 2007, 08:40 PM
Post #264

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,846

QUOTE(Pickle @ Feb 18 2007, 02:12 PM) [snapback]179087[/snapback]

...he states that he is doing what he can to protect young people. What young people?

I have worked for the last 6 years in an environment where there are NO young people.

... I attend a church where there are NO young people. I live in a rural area where there are NO young people for miles. I have not preached a campmeeting where there were young people for over five years. I live 800 miles from the young people at Community Church of God. How could this be his real motive?
... Tommy Shelton

http://fbcoh.org/greet1.html
"October 15-18 we’re having our Fall Revival with Rev. Tommy Shelton preaching. It will meet nightly at 6:30 p.m. … great singing, preaching, and fellowship."

http://www.fbcoh.org/oppimag/1oct06.pdf

Pray for our preaching evangelist, Tommy Shelton. Tommy has asked that we pray that the Holy Spirit would guide him in exactly what to preach in each specific service. Tommy’s desire is to be emptied of himself and filled with the Holy Spirit.

http://www.fbcoh.org/oppimag/8oct06.pdf
Dear First Baptist Friends
As I look forward with anticipation to the upcoming Revival meetings, I am reminded that although we may set aside a time for revival, God must send it. He is not only willing to send revival, but longs to send it. The only thing that can hinder revival from coming to us is an unprepared heart. True revival comes to us when we, like Isaiah, catch a glimpse of the Lord high and lifted up, and in the light of His Holiness, see our great need. R.A. Torry gave a prescription for revival, which I quote: First, let a few Christians get thor-oughly right with God. If this is not done, the rest will come to nothing. Second, let them bind them-selves together to pray for revival until God opens the windows of heaven and comes down. Third, let them put themselves at the disposal of God for His
use as He sees fit in winning others to Christ. That is all. I have given this prescription around the
world…and in no instance has it failed. It cannot fail.
Looking forward to being with you …Tommy

http://www.fbcoh.org/oppimag/15oct06.pdf
WHAT BLESSING… to have Tommy and Carol Shelton with us this week, as Tommy preaches our Revival. They live in Marion, Kentucky, and have been married for 43 years. They have three grown children. Tommy pastored two churches over a twenty-five year span, one in Kentucky and the other in the Washington D.C. area.

http://www.fbcoh.org/oppimag/22oct06.pdf
....I was reminded of Tommy Shelton’s message on Wednesday evening from Proverbs 4:23. “Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life.” (KJV) If we are to become all God called us to be, we must guard our spiritual hearts. ...

Do you think this church has NO youth?

This post has been edited by Whtz Happenin: Feb 18 2007, 08:46 PM

+Quote Post
roxe
post Feb 18 2007, 08:51 PM
Post #265

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,485

QUOTE(Pickle @ Feb 18 2007, 12:12 PM) [snapback]179087[/snapback]

-------- Original Message --------
<snip>
II Cor. 7:10 says, “For godly sorrow worketh repentance to salvation not to be repented of: but the sorrow of the world worketh death.” True repentance comes from God – it’s a gift - not consequences or having to “pay.” Negative consequences may cause one to try to change behavior for a time, but true repentance only comes from God through godly sorrow - As the verse says, “…but the sorrow of the world – (getting caught – consequences etc) worketh death.
<snip>
Tommy Shelton

is his interpretation of this verse correct??

is he saying he should NOT have to suffer getting caught or any consequences??

wonder who helped him write this letter... or if someone else wrote it...

This post has been edited by roxe: Feb 18 2007, 08:58 PM

+Quote Post
sonshineonme
post Feb 18 2007, 09:15 PM
Post #266

1,000 + posts
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,709

QUOTE(Pickle @ Feb 18 2007, 11:12 AM) [snapback]179087[/snapback]

I received this open letter last night anonymously. This is the very type of thing I asked Danny for last November, and I wish so much that it had been sent to me back then. Why has it taken so long to get it?

Hopefully it will answer some of our questions.

Subject: Letter from Tommy Shelton to CCOG, Dunn Loring, VA
Date: Sat, 17 Feb 2007 17:47:14 -0800 (PST)

An Open Letter

To the many I have loved through the years. I am sending you this letter in response to an open letter that was sent to many, if not all, of you from Pastor Glenn Dryden. This letter is not meant as revenge, but so that you might be informed of the other side of the story.......................
Tommy Shelton

Could this be what bystander and wwjd (and the gang) may have been up too the past few days they have not been here posting??

dunno.gif

This post has been edited by sonshineonme: Feb 18 2007, 09:15 PM

--------------------
Here's the thing - "...if you pull "folks" into a fight you don't know what "weapon" they will bring." PrincessDrRe

"A man who digs a pit for others to fall into, will end up falling into it himself. And if a man rolls a stone on someone, the stone will roll back on him". Said Solomon the wise, Proverbs 26:27

"No man can follow Christ and go astray." William H.P. Faunce

"If I could hear Christ praying for me in the next room, I would not fear a million enemies. Yet distance makes no difference. He is praying for me." Robert M. McCheyne

Click here for Linda Shelton's newly updated website

+Quote Post
Pickle
post Feb 18 2007, 10:00 PM
Post #267

1,000 + posts
Group Icon

QUOTE(dedication @ Feb 18 2007, 07:22 PM) [snapback]179205[/snapback]

Well -- Brad may be referring to the time he was actually experiencing the problem.

Tommy may be reporting the time allegations were actually raised. Which of course would be later than the actual time the activity took place.

We know for a fact, based on Brad's account, that this cannot be true. Immediately after being propositioned, Brad left the school and went home and told his family. Thus there is no room in his account for a delay of a couple years.

The only possibility would be that Brad got the date wrong. But then we'd have other people getting their dates wrong too. Sherry Avery's account has Tommy getting caught in October 1984, and that was after there were other allegations already floating around.

Is it even possible to have the allegations occur first in September 1985, with Tommy's resignation happening that soon afterwards, followed the next month by the suspension of his credentials, given all the accounts that have been collected thus far?

QUOTE(Whtz Happenin @ Feb 18 2007, 08:40 PM) [snapback]179212[/snapback]

http://www.fbcoh.org/oppimag/15oct06.pdf
WHAT BLESSING… to have Tommy and Carol Shelton with us this week, as Tommy preaches our Revival. They live in Marion, Kentucky, and have been married for 43 years. They have three grown children. Tommy pastored two churches over a twenty-five year span, one in Kentucky and the other in the Washington D.C. area.

Could someone please explain why the Ezra Church of God in IL is not listed as a third church? Out of the three churches, was he not longer at Ezra than anywhere else? Or was he at Marion before he was at Ezra as well as at Marion for a year in the last half of the '80's?

+Quote Post
Pickle
post Feb 18 2007, 10:35 PM
Post #268

1,000 + posts
Group Icon

Subject: Tommy: Two questions about your open letter.
Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2007 11:58:27 -0600
To: Tommy Shelton
CC: Mollie Steenson, Pastor Lomacang, Fallible Human Being, Joe Smith, Danny Shelton, Elder Ken Denslow, Walt Thompson

Hello Tommy.

Last night someone forwarded to me your open letter to the Dunn Loring congregation. If there is any chance that this letter is not genuine, please let me know at your earliest convenience.

I haven't read it in its entirety yet, and will look forward to hopefully finding some information in it that will put things in a drastically different light. My only regret is that Danny did not send me anything along these lines in November as requested, as perhaps it could have prevented some misunderstanding, if there really have been any misunderstandings.

Here are two things that I did notice that caused me a little concern. You wrote (assuming that this letter is really genuine):

QUOTE(Tommy Shelton)
"In addition, because of the pressure (that your pastor hoped for, by his own admission) from the scandalizing on the internet, it was necessary for me to leave my job because of the stress to my heart due to constant high blood pressure."

And yet, contrary to the above, you and Danny on the air on New Year's Eve said that your health problems and your retirement were due to:
  • Your tremendous schedule.
  • Weekend traveling.
  • Long commuting.
  • And above everything else, a ferry.
Question: Are you admitting in your open letter that both you and Danny lied on the air as to the real reason you were retiring three months early from 3ABN, or do you have a way to explain this apparent discrepancy?

You also wrote:

QUOTE(Tommy Shelton)
"These men are not 'ecclesiastical investigators' for the Seventh Day Adventist. They hold no official position, and have no authority in the Seventh Day Adventist Church to investigate anything or anybody. By next week I will have in hand an official statement from the Illinois Conference President of SDA, stating that these men do not work for the Seventh-Day-Adventist church and were not authorized to investigate anyone."

Question: Isn't this a tad bit dishonest, given the facts that:
  • It was an Adventist church pastor or administrator that got the 2003 Glenn Dryden letter to Gailon Joy for him to look at on August 15, 2006, after which he launched his investigation?
  • It was an NAD or GC officer that arranged for the 3ABN board to ask ASI to review the various allegations and evidence uncovered by Gailon against Danny Shelton et. al., including the allegations raised in Glenn Dryden's 2003 letter?
  • Some of the individuals involved in the "investigation" are retired pastors/administrators, and/or other individuals who currently hold credentials issued by the denomination?
It just seems like your statement may be splitting hairs and giving a distorted picture of what is really going on. While Gailon wasn't officially authorized to investigate, he was unofficially asked to investigate, etc. And I find it difficult to believe that a man like Elder Denslow would be helping to distort the picture of what has been going on.

I trust that I will not have to wait nearly three months to receive an open letter from an anonymous person that answers these simple questions.

Bob

This post has been edited by Pickle: Feb 18 2007, 10:35 PM

+Quote Post
lurker
post Feb 19 2007, 07:34 AM
Post #269

Advanced Member

Member No.: 676

Here is new article on the 3ABN scandal that I just found this morning. Thought you all would like to read/share it. http://tinyurl.com/2xlw3e

+Quote Post
Grace
post Feb 19 2007, 07:46 AM
Post #270

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,708

QUOTE(lurker @ Feb 19 2007, 02:34 PM) [snapback]179253[/snapback]
Here is new article on the 3ABN scandal that I just found this morning. Thought you all would like to read/share it. http://tinyurl.com/2xlw3e

Thank you, Lurker! Very interesting. Seems that truth is getting more and more known.

QUOTE(Pickle @ Feb 19 2007, 05:35 AM) [snapback]179226[/snapback]
Subject: Tommy: Two questions about your open letter.
Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2007 11:58:27 -0600
To: Tommy Shelton
CC: Mollie Steenson, Pastor Lomacang, Fallible Human Being, Joe Smith, Danny Shelton, Elder Ken Denslow, Walt Thompson

Hello Tommy.

Last night someone forwarded to me your open letter to the Dunn Loring congregation. If there is any chance that this letter is not genuine, please let me know at your earliest convenience.

I haven't read it in its entirety yet, and will look forward to hopefully finding some information in it that will put things in a drastically different light. My only regret is that Danny did not send me anything along these lines in November as requested, as perhaps it could have prevented some misunderstanding, if there really have been any misunderstandings.

Here are two things that I did notice that caused me a little concern. You wrote (assuming that this letter is really genuine):

And yet, contrary to the above, you and Danny on the air on New Year's Eve said that your health problems and your retirement were due to:
  • Your tremendous schedule.
  • Weekend traveling.
  • Long commuting.
  • And above everything else, a ferry.
Question: Are you admitting in your open letter that both you and Danny lied on the air as to the real reason you were retiring three months early from 3ABN, or do you have a way to explain this apparent discrepancy?

You also wrote:

Question: Isn't this a tad bit dishonest, given the facts that:
  • It was an Adventist church pastor or administrator that got the 2003 Glenn Dryden letter to Gailon Joy for him to look at on August 15, 2006, after which he launched his investigation?
  • It was an NAD or GC officer that arranged for the 3ABN board to ask ASI to review the various allegations and evidence uncovered by Gailon against Danny Shelton et. al., including the allegations raised in Glenn Dryden's 2003 letter?
  • Some of the individuals involved in the "investigation" are retired pastors/administrators, and/or other individuals who currently hold credentials issued by the denomination?
It just seems like your statement may be splitting hairs and giving a distorted picture of what is really going on. While Gailon wasn't officially authorized to investigate, he was unofficially asked to investigate, etc. And I find it difficult to believe that a man like Elder Denslow would be helping to distort the picture of what has been going on.

I trust that I will not have to wait nearly three months to receive an open letter from an anonymous person that answers these simple questions.

Bob

And thank you, Pickel! Waiting for their answer...

--------------------
Grace

+Quote Post

26 Pages V  « < 16 17 18 19 20 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd March 2008 - 03:38 PM
Design by: Download IPB Skins & eBusiness
BlackSDA has no official affiliation or endorsement from the Seventh-day Adventist church