Archive of http://www.blacksda.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=12650&st=150 preserved for the defense in 3ABN and Danny Shelton v. Joy and Pickle.
Links altered to maintain their integrity and aid in navigation, but content otherwise unchanged.
Saved at 01:54:00 PM on March 27, 2008.
IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

20 Pages V  « < 9 10 11 12 13 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Save3abn Website Uses Blackmail Tactics, 3abn better not go to Court!
Bystander
post Feb 28 2007, 04:51 PM
Post #151

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,777

QUOTE(erik @ Feb 28 2007, 08:46 AM) [snapback]181187[/snapback]

Aletheia,

I would love to see a follow-up of this article in the light of the 46 page ruling the judge handed down.
I personally think with a little tighter legal and accounting controls 3abn would have won this case hands down, what is interesting is that the judge in her ruling told 3abn what they need to fix if they were listening, but i highly doubt that they have fixed those problems( has a side note maybe this had more to due with linda and that lawyer from the board leaving then we know at this time.)

ERik

Erik, it is my understanding that one major item than contributed to the ruling was a huge oversite and the attorney's side and the judges side. If I get this correctly, somehow, the judge was given the board records from the beginning years of 3abn when only 6 people were on the board. In the very first stages those people were Danny, Linda, Kenny , his wife and the boys mother and stepfather. (I could have the stepfather wrong) The board expanded quickly over time and different changes were made but anyway, the judge based some of her decisions on what she thought was a family board. Somebody dropped the ball all the way around. Since the ruling had already been handed down, there was no alternative but to appeal which they did and are, but these kinds of cases take years. As you can see the other case was in 2004, so it has already been 3 years. 3abn did at least 1 program on this situation and maybe 2 because the final outcome could affect religious organizations everywhere as far as tax status goes. Contrary to what some are trying to imply, this had nothing to do with "Danny won't pay his taxes." That is ludicrous. It is about a peon town trying to tax religious entities that had not been taxed before.
If Danny was just trying to get out of tax paying, 3abn could have moved to Marion, IL, about 18 miles from T'ville, where the mayor offered them all kinds of incentives to come there. He guaranteed they would be treated "right" as other ministries and church schools in the area are. In other words, they wouldn't have had a tax problem there. He welcomed the jobs that 3abn provides and realized that at times, people come from all parts of the world to see or be on 3abn and that generates business for the whole town. T'vill on the other hand, appears to be a town of farmers that doesn't want outsiders, much less SDA's.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
LaurenceD
post Feb 28 2007, 04:59 PM
Post #152

500 + posts
Group Icon

Member No.: 3,035

Thanks for the clarification. That's good news indeed. BTW, What is the minimum wage in Illinois, and are there corporate breaks for having employees hired as less than full-time?

--------------------
Disclaimer Notice: You are hereby cautioned that the information contained within these posts are for the sole purpose of provoking thought, adding fair comment on matters of public interest, and not providing factual information. These posts do not reflect the actual thoughts or intentions of the person writing under this username since said person is not in any position to know. No effort has been made to ensure the accuracy of any personal view, opinion, or hyperbole presented. Therefore, by disclosing, copying, or distributing these posts to others, such information must subsequently be confirmed in writing, signed and dated, by the actual person, or persons, posting behind username LaurenceD.

+Quote Post
Richard Sherwin
post Feb 28 2007, 05:21 PM
Post #153

1,000 + posts
Group Icon

Member No.: 2,231

A peon town? Is that the attitude of 3abn toward Thomsonville? Would this be what Jesus would say? That's appalling. And the little dig at farmers? With that sort of thinking I don't blame them for not wanting ya'll there. Disgusting.

Richard

QUOTE(Bystander @ Feb 28 2007, 05:51 PM) [snapback]181296[/snapback]

Erik, it is my understanding that one major item than contributed to the ruling was a huge oversite and the attorney's side and the judges side. If I get this correctly, somehow, the judge was given the board records from the beginning years of 3abn when only 6 people were on the board. In the very first stages those people were Danny, Linda, Kenny , his wife and the boys mother and stepfather. (I could have the stepfather wrong) The board expanded quickly over time and different changes were made but anyway, the judge based some of her decisions on what she thought was a family board. Somebody dropped the ball all the way around. Since the ruling had already been handed down, there was no alternative but to appeal which they did and are, but these kinds of cases take years. As you can see the other case was in 2004, so it has already been 3 years. 3abn did at least 1 program on this situation and maybe 2 because the final outcome could affect religious organizations everywhere as far as tax status goes. Contrary to what some are trying to imply, this had nothing to do with "Danny won't pay his taxes." That is ludicrous. It is about a peon town trying to tax religious entities that had not been taxed before.
If Danny was just trying to get out of tax paying, 3abn could have moved to Marion, IL, about 18 miles from T'ville, where the mayor offered them all kinds of incentives to come there. He guaranteed they would be treated "right" as other ministries and church schools in the area are. In other words, they wouldn't have had a tax problem there. He welcomed the jobs that 3abn provides and realized that at times, people come from all parts of the world to see or be on 3abn and that generates business for the whole town. T'vill on the other hand, appears to be a town of farmers that doesn't want outsiders, much less SDA's.

This post has been edited by Richard Sherwin: Feb 28 2007, 05:29 PM

+Quote Post
PeacefulBe
post Feb 28 2007, 05:32 PM
Post #154

1,000 + posts
Group Icon

Member No.: 2,169

QUOTE(Bystander @ Feb 28 2007, 03:51 PM) [snapback]181296[/snapback]

Just want to remind you, brother Bystander, that Jesus shed His precious blood for every "peon" and "farmer" in T'ville. That the town doesn't feel friendly towards SDAs does not speak too well of the influence of those at 3abn on the community outside their doors.

--------------------
Got Peace?

John 14:27 Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid.

"Truth welcomes examination and doesn't need to defend itself, while deception hides in darkness and blames everyone else." Aunt B, 2007

+Quote Post
watchbird
post Feb 28 2007, 05:32 PM
Post #155

1,000 + posts
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,712

QUOTE(LaurenceD @ Feb 28 2007, 02:09 PM) [snapback]181253[/snapback]

hummmm....you're not saying....no, you're not saying.

You've obviously thought about this before. Are you hiding any other pieces of the puzzle? I can't help but wonder what all is not being said, and by whom. It must be ammusing, and/or devastating, for them to see pieces only they know about coming together. Could be wrong though.
:shrug:

Yes, I've thought about it a lot.... for some time. Still don't have all the pieces of the puzzle, but the ones I do have fit together very well.

As to what I was or was not saying.... I dunno.... 'cause I don't know what you are thinking I might be saying. But... if you ramble off through the maze of BSDA.... I'l betcha you'll come up with some more pieces.

Carry on.......... TVsnack.gif..................

+Quote Post
Bystander
post Feb 28 2007, 05:33 PM
Post #156

Advanced Member

QUOTE(Richard Sherwin @ Feb 28 2007, 05:21 PM) [snapback]181302[/snapback]

A peon town? Is that the attitude of 3abn toward Thomsonville? That's appalling. And the little dig at farmers? With that sort of thinking I don't blame them for not wanting ya'll there. Disgusting.

Richard

Richard, don't twist my words. First of all 3abn didn't say it, I did. Second of all, I too, grew up in a farming community and have nothing against farmers. I do have something against a town of 600 people that try to push religious entities out by trying to tax what shouldn't be taxed, by referring to SDA's as weirdo's and oh, did I mention, they don't like other races there. They didn't have any ethnic variety until 3abn. The ministry has brought in african americans, spanish, puerto rican, and the community doesn't like it. There is still a KKK in the county. Now that is disgusting.

+Quote Post
Noahswife
post Feb 28 2007, 05:41 PM
Post #157

500 + posts
Group Icon

Member No.: 2,683

Richard,

It was all I could do not to jump on bystander's statement. You were more succinct than I would have been.

Now that we have blamed the lawyers and the farmers and the local government hungry for new revenues (the Liberty article) and hinted at persecution:

"Some think if 3ABN were owned and operated by one of the church groups representing a larger segment of the Franklin County community, there would be no objection to its religious tax exemption." (Liberty article)

we need to look at what the judge said. 3abn was making a lot of money and not doing anything the judge saw as "charitable". The board composition was just one aspect of what the judge considered.

Bystander, you seem familiar with the tax case. Do you know if any amicus briefs were filed by other organizations that would be concerned with the holding of the ALJ and her case law interpretation?

nw
C"i"

This post has been edited by Noahswife: Feb 28 2007, 07:24 PM

--------------------
“I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.” C.S. Lewis

"To love means loving the unlovable. To forgive means pardoning the unpardonable. Faith means believing the unbelievable. Hope means hoping when everything seems hopeless." G. K. Chesterton

+Quote Post
PeacefulBe
post Feb 28 2007, 05:42 PM
Post #158

1,000 + posts
Group Icon

Member No.: 2,169

QUOTE(Bystander @ Feb 28 2007, 04:33 PM) [snapback]181307[/snapback]

Richard, don't twist my words. First of all 3abn didn't say it, I did. Second of all, I too, grew up in a farming community and have nothing against farmers. I do have something against a town of 600 people that try to push religious entities out by trying to tax what shouldn't be taxed, by referring to SDA's as weirdo's and oh, did I mention, they don't like other races there. They didn't have any ethnic variety until 3abn. The ministry has brought in african americans, spanish, puerto rican, and the community doesn't like it. There is still a KKK in the county. Now that is disgusting.

Duane,
From your point of view as a community member, is Bystander's characterization of Thompsonville an accurate one?

PB

--------------------
Got Peace?

John 14:27 Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid.

"Truth welcomes examination and doesn't need to defend itself, while deception hides in darkness and blames everyone else." Aunt B, 2007

+Quote Post
Richard Sherwin
post Feb 28 2007, 05:55 PM
Post #159

1,000 + posts
Group Icon

Member No.: 2,231

I didn't twist anyone's words and I was asking if that was the attitude of 3abn towards Thompsonville.

Now let me present the other side. If you are a small town struggling to make ends meet, and most small towns are, and you see out at the edge of town an entity worth umpteen millions of dollars and their leaders flying around the country in a luxury jet, the owner (to them Danny would seem like the owner) having the hobby of owning horses and an income from music CD's, then you can't really blame them for not wanting some taxes on that. Yes it might be unconstitutional but you still can't blame them. And if some of those SDA's seem a little weird and are condescending towards you then it seems that 3abn is just asking for trouble. It might not be right but you still can't blame them

QUOTE(Bystander @ Feb 28 2007, 06:33 PM) [snapback]181307[/snapback]

+Quote Post
Clay
post Feb 28 2007, 06:16 PM
Post #160

5,000 + posts
Group Icon

Group: Administrator
Member No.: 4

QUOTE(Richard Sherwin @ Feb 28 2007, 05:55 PM) [snapback]181312[/snapback]

I didn't twist anyone's words and I was asking if that was the attitude of 3abn towards Thompsonville.

Now let me present the other side. If you are a small town struggling to make ends meet, and most small towns are, and you see out at the edge of town an entity worth umpteen millions of dollars and their leaders flying around the country in a luxury jet, the owner (to them Danny would seem like the owner) having the hobby of owning horses and an income from music CD's, then you can't really blame them for not wanting some taxes on that. Yes it might be unconstitutional but you still can't blame them. And if some of those SDA's seem a little weird and are condescending towards you then it seems that 3abn is just asking for trouble. It might not be right but you still can't blame them

sounds like this would have been a good opportunity to shun the appearance of evil? Reach out to the community sooner? actually "help" those in that community? as opposed to what? being separate and aloof?

--------------------
"you are as sick as your secrets...." -quote from Celebrity Rehab-

+Quote Post
Snoopy
post Feb 28 2007, 06:17 PM
Post #161

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,808

QUOTE(LaurenceD @ Feb 28 2007, 02:21 AM) [snapback]181149[/snapback]

Well, not sure where your're from, but here, with the several multi-multi-multi-million dollar municipal organizations I work for, the first thing the auditor asks for is the minutes of all financial board-approved transactions. Then They ask for the budget. They "study" both of these. Then they ask for the reciepts, bank statements, checks, payrolls, etc. etc., including contacting venders at the other end. Our organizations are required by law to have a balanced budget. Everything has to square up, sometimes every line item--if so earmarked. At the end of the audit, certain officers meet with the auditors and we listen to their final reports and recommendations.

Like I said, I'm not sure what rules apply to NFP organizations like 3abn, but, I can't imagine the state wasn't the lead agency in the audit report referred to in the PDF file noahswife linked. Could be wrong though. This was a challenge to state and federal laws that regulate the organization. Auditors can be anyone from anywhere though--independent, working for gov't by contract, or actual gov't employees. Our team of independent auditors are always accompanied by a state rep that oversees the process.

But, you're right. It's all beside the point. I was just responding to your general statement that budgets don't get audited. They do here!

Please accept my apologies, LD. I was tired and cranky last night - obviously!! I am sure we just have had different experiences is all. I do appreciate your viewpoints! wave.gif

Snoopy

+Quote Post
LaurenceD
post Feb 28 2007, 06:28 PM
Post #162

500 + posts
Group Icon

QUOTE(Bystander @ Feb 28 2007, 04:51 PM) [snapback]181296[/snapback]

...it is my understanding that one major item than contributed to the ruling was a huge oversite and the attorney's side and the judges side. If I get this correctly, somehow, the judge was given the board records from the beginning years of 3abn when only 6 people were on the board. In the very first stages those people were Danny, Linda, Kenny , his wife and the boys mother and stepfather. (I could have the stepfather wrong) The board expanded quickly over time and different changes were made but anyway, the judge based some of her decisions on what she thought was a family board.

I'm not sure you're very familiar with the case...
    The oral testimony was that in 2000 and 2001, applicant’s eleven to twelve member board was made up of Seventh-day Adventists laymen, business people, church employees, and former church employees. Some of applicant’s board members are and were Seventh-day Adventists’ pastors. The board meets 3-5 times a year. (Tr. pp. 92-95, Danny Shelton; Tr. pp. 499-501, Walter Thompson). The names of the board members, other than Mr. Thompson, in 2000 and 2001 were not in evidence. (from Judge Rowe's Recommendation, footnote #2, page 6)

Snoopy, no problem. I always enjoy your posts, even when I'm being corrected!

--------------------
Disclaimer Notice: You are hereby cautioned that the information contained within these posts are for the sole purpose of provoking thought, adding fair comment on matters of public interest, and not providing factual information. These posts do not reflect the actual thoughts or intentions of the person writing under this username since said person is not in any position to know. No effort has been made to ensure the accuracy of any personal view, opinion, or hyperbole presented. Therefore, by disclosing, copying, or distributing these posts to others, such information must subsequently be confirmed in writing, signed and dated, by the actual person, or persons, posting behind username LaurenceD.

+Quote Post
Bystander
post Feb 28 2007, 06:54 PM
Post #163

Advanced Member

QUOTE(LaurenceD @ Feb 28 2007, 06:28 PM) [snapback]181321[/snapback]

I'm not sure you're very familiar with the case...
    The oral testimony was that in 2000 and 2001, applicant’s eleven to twelve member board was made up of Seventh-day Adventists laymen, business people, church employees, and former church employees. Some of applicant’s board members are and were Seventh-day Adventists’ pastors. The board meets 3-5 times a year. (Tr. pp. 92-95, Danny Shelton; Tr. pp. 499-501, Walter Thompson). The names of the board members, other than Mr. Thompson, in 2000 and 2001 were not in evidence. (from Judge Rowe's Recommendation, footnote #2, page 6)
Snoopy, no problem. I always enjoy your posts, even when I'm being corrected!

I believe I stated that I didn't know all the details, but I do know that somehow she had records from the 80"s when there was a family board. Now how that came about, I don't know, What impact it had, I can't say, but I do know it turned out to be a problem.
I have know idea why you want to rehash this case that has been made very public on 3abn and other places, and, is being appealed. As I stated before they have other denominations pulling for them because the final ruling could affect other church entities. But the fact remains, this is 3 years old and they might not know the outcome for several more years. Bottom line, this is old news.

+Quote Post
LaurenceD
post Feb 28 2007, 07:03 PM
Post #164

500 + posts
Group Icon

No need to sound so bitter and uninformed. "rehash" is not an appropriate word. Anyone who professes the One whose life was an open book will understand. Some are just learning the facts. Be patient and kind. I'd like to place a hand on your shoulder, if I could, and calm what feels like a trembling individual, and say everything will be alright if you have nothing to hide.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Noahswife
post Feb 28 2007, 07:30 PM
Post #165

500 + posts
Group Icon

Member No.: 2,683

QUOTE(Bystander @ Feb 28 2007, 07:54 PM) [snapback]181329[/snapback]

As I stated before they have other denominations pulling for them because the final ruling could affect other church entities.

Bystander, is this support from other denominations mere words or have they taken the step of filing additional briefs with the court?

nw
C"i"

--------------------
“I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.” C.S. Lewis

"To love means loving the unlovable. To forgive means pardoning the unpardonable. Faith means believing the unbelievable. Hope means hoping when everything seems hopeless." G. K. Chesterton

+Quote Post

20 Pages V  « < 9 10 11 12 13 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th March 2008 - 12:54 PM
Design by: Download IPB Skins & eBusiness
BlackSDA has no official affiliation or endorsement from the Seventh-day Adventist church