Archive of http://www.blacksda.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=13246&st=135 preserved for the defense in 3ABN and Danny Shelton v. Joy and Pickle.
Links altered to maintain their integrity and aid in navigation, but content otherwise unchanged.
Saved at 01:42:56 PM on March 27, 2008.
IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

12 Pages V  « < 8 9 10 11 12 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Letters Between Linda And The Thompsonville Church, J.L. re: counseling, censure & attempts at reconciliation
mozart
post Apr 13 2007, 01:33 PM
Post #136

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,207

as for the church thing, i have a couple thoughts on my mind. i used to have 3abn on, in my house, for several hours a day, almost every day and usually all day long on sabbath.

#1- i remember hearing 3abn talking about building a little chapel on the property for small weddings and prayer time whenever someone needs that, etc. (sounds quaint right?)

#2- i don't remember hearing anything about building a full size church or the thompsonville church moving over to 3abn property.

#3-if there is a "chapel" and a full-size church on 3abn property, why were danny and brandy married privately on the 3abn set?

I hope brandy is keeping a diary. This all seems like it would be very bizarre to her. I can't imagine them not wanting to be married in a church. It certainly was convenient enough. I'd love an answer to that because it just seems all to much like Danny knew he was doing something wrong and wanted to keep it a secret. Maybe his conscience was bothering him too much to be married in the church? a TV set is more commercial and non-spiritual than a church wouldn't you think? maybe........................the SDA church would not allow him to be married in the church? has anyone looked into that or does anyone actually know?

This post has been edited by mozart: Apr 13 2007, 01:46 PM

--------------------
Thess. 2:16-17 - Now may our Lord Jesus Christ Himself, and our God and Father, who has loved us and given us everlasting consolation and good hope by grace, comfort your hearts and establish you in every good word and work."

[quote: fine art]

"
Instead we seem to be using sensationalism, emotionalism, moving lights and motivational speakers that are prepared to manipulate, by well chosen words, the minds of the listeners.
It used to be, messages that were given by our pioneers were wrenched from the depths of the heart by the Holy Spirit.
Humor was not added to get that laugh of entertainment. Drama was not introduced behind the sacred desk to glue your attention.

Man's Rationale has replaced a cry for God's wisdom."

"How To Be Free From Bitterness" ( booklet written by Jim Wilson of Community Christian Ministries, Moscow, Idaho - E-mail: ccm@moscow.com )
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
awesumtenor
post Apr 13 2007, 01:39 PM
Post #137

5,000 + posts
Group Icon

Group: Charter Member
Member No.: 15

QUOTE(mozart @ Apr 13 2007, 03:33 PM) [snapback]191302[/snapback]

#2- i don't remember hearing anything about building a full size church or the thompsonville church moving over to 3abn property.

I seem to recall vague wisps of something about the building that is the church was initially supposed to be a full-scale model of the sanctuary... or at least donations were solicited for that and at least with part of those funds a multipurpose building was built that is used as the church... I'll have to wade through some stuff to see if that recollection is accurate... unless someone who knows can help me jog my memory...

In His service,
Mr. J

--------------------
There is no one more dangerous than one who thinks he knows God with a mind that is ignorant - Dr. Lewis Anthony

You’ve got to be real comfortable in your own skin to survive the animosity your strength evokes in people you'd hope would like you. - Dr. Renita Weems

+Quote Post
mozart
post Apr 13 2007, 01:41 PM
Post #138

Advanced Member

just scratchchin.gif sorry mr.J, i just edited prior post, can you take a look back pls?

This post has been edited by mozart: Apr 13 2007, 01:44 PM

--------------------
Thess. 2:16-17 - Now may our Lord Jesus Christ Himself, and our God and Father, who has loved us and given us everlasting consolation and good hope by grace, comfort your hearts and establish you in every good word and work."

"
Instead we seem to be using sensationalism, emotionalism, moving lights and motivational speakers that are prepared to manipulate, by well chosen words, the minds of the listeners.
It used to be, messages that were given by our pioneers were wrenched from the depths of the heart by the Holy Spirit.
Humor was not added to get that laugh of entertainment. Drama was not introduced behind the sacred desk to glue your attention.

"How To Be Free From Bitterness" ( booklet written by Jim Wilson of Community Christian Ministries, Moscow, Idaho - E-mail: ccm@moscow.com )

+Quote Post
mozart
post Apr 13 2007, 01:54 PM
Post #139

Advanced Member

QUOTE(awesumtenor @ Apr 13 2007, 12:39 PM) [snapback]191303[/snapback]

I seem to recall vague wisps of something about the building that is the church was initially supposed to be a full-scale model of the sanctuary... or at least donations were solicited for that and at least with part of those funds a multipurpose building was built that is used as the church... I'll have to wade through some stuff to see if that recollection is accurate... unless someone who knows can help me jog my memory...
In His service,
Mr. J

well, not exactly. when we were there for the first campmeeting, about 2000 or 2001, we were given a tour and part of the tour was of a building built for the purpose of housing a full scale sanctuary that was donated to 3abn. also,in that building was a small theatre supposedly for the purpose of showing a video documentary of the sanctuary prior to people being led on a tour of the full sanctuary.
(i had also seen a 3abn today show interviewing the person who used that full-size sanctuary for many years in a road tour/show. he was retiring and donated it to 3abn. i'm thinking it was worth a lot of money and spiritual value so danny said they were going to build a building there on 3abn property to house that exibit for all to see ). anyone know if that happened?

This post has been edited by mozart: Apr 13 2007, 01:55 PM

--------------------

"

+Quote Post
inga
post Apr 13 2007, 02:45 PM
Post #140

500 + posts
Group Icon

Member No.: 577

QUOTE(mozart @ Apr 13 2007, 02:54 PM) [snapback]191305[/snapback]

well, not exactly. when we were there for the first campmeeting, about 2000 or 2001, we were given a tour and part of the tour was of a building built for the purpose of housing a full scale sanctuary that was donated to 3abn. also,in that building was a small theatre supposedly for the purpose of showing a video documentary of the sanctuary prior to people being led on a tour of the full sanctuary.
(i had also seen a 3abn today show interviewing the person who used that full-size sanctuary for many years in a road tour/show. he was retiring and donated it to 3abn. i'm thinking it was worth a lot of money and spiritual value so danny said they were going to build a building there on 3abn property to house that exibit for all to see ).

As I understand it, the original donor donated not only the sanctuary display, but also the money to build the building to house the display. The display stood around long enough to be damaged, without the money being used for the building. When the building was finally finished, it was turned into a church, without consulting the original donor.

I have no idea what happened to the display. Someone from Thompsonville can probably tell us.

+Quote Post
Brenda
post Apr 13 2007, 04:14 PM
Post #141

Advanced Member

Group: Financial Donor
Member No.: 1,814

QUOTE(mozart @ Apr 14 2007, 05:33 AM) [snapback]191302[/snapback]

#3-if there is a "chapel" and a full-size church on 3abn property, why were danny and brandy married privately on the 3abn set?

I hope brandy is keeping a diary. This all seems like it would be very bizarre to her. I can't imagine them not wanting to be married in a church. It certainly was convenient enough. I'd love an answer to that because it just seems all to much like Danny knew he was doing something wrong and wanted to keep it a secret. Maybe his conscience was bothering him too much to be married in the church? a TV set is more commercial and non-spiritual than a church wouldn't you think? maybe........................the SDA church would not allow him to be married in the church? has anyone looked into that or does anyone actually know?

I have no idea about the answers to these questions, but if they were married by a licensed SDA minister, I cannot think they could not have chosen to be married in a church if that is what they wished.

I think as far as the church is concerned, there are restrictions on whom ministers can marry (eg, they cannot marry a baptised SDA to a nonbaptised person) , and the venue is up to the couple.

For my remarriage we chose a friend's garden with our pastor officiating, and there would be many couples who make similar choices. I am neither defending nor criticising in this post, I just do not see the venue as an issue if the marriage was performed by a credentialled pastor.

+Quote Post
mozart
post Apr 13 2007, 04:31 PM
Post #142

Advanced Member

QUOTE(inga @ Apr 13 2007, 02:45 PM) [snapback]191308[/snapback]

As I understand it, the original donor donated not only the sanctuary display, but also the money to build the building to house the display. The display stood around long enough to be damaged, without the money being used for the building. When the building was finally finished, it was turned into a church, without consulting the original donor.

I have no idea what happened to the display. Someone from Thompsonville can probably tell us.

that does sound familiar about the donor of the display also contributing to the funding for the building, but as i stated, we were given a tour of that very building. walls, stairs and drywall had been done, but the building wasn't finished completely at that time. How do you know they did not consult the original donor?

--------------------

"

+Quote Post
Observer
post Apr 13 2007, 04:50 PM
Post #143

500 + posts
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,664

QUOTE(Brenda @ Apr 13 2007, 04:14 PM) [snapback]191310[/snapback]

I have no idea about the answers to these questions, but if they were married by a licensed SDA minister, I cannot think they could not have chosen to be married in a church if that is what they wished.

I think as far as the church is concerned, there are restrictions on whom ministers can marry (eg, they cannot marry a baptised SDA to a nonbaptised person) , and the venue is up to the couple.

For my remarriage we chose a friend's garden with our pastor officiating, and there would be many couples who make similar choices. I am neither defending nor criticising in this post, I just do not see the venue as an issue if the marriage was performed by a credentialled pastor.

Danny and Brandy were married by an ordained SDA minister, credentialed by the IL Conference.

It is clear that they could have been married in the Thompsonville Church building.

In this day and age, ordained SDA ministers can often perform marriage ceremonies for whomever they chose.

This post has been edited by Observer: Apr 13 2007, 04:53 PM

--------------------
Gregory Matthews posts here under the name "Observer."

+Quote Post
mozart
post Apr 13 2007, 05:58 PM
Post #144

Advanced Member

QUOTE(Observer @ Apr 13 2007, 03:50 PM) [snapback]191315[/snapback]

Danny and Brandy were married by an ordained SDA minister, credentialed by the IL Conference.

It is clear that they could have been married in the Thompsonville Church building.

In this day and age, ordained SDA ministers can often perform marriage ceremonies for whomever they chose.

so i guess they just didn't want to wed in the church. hmmm....odd
i hope he didn't do it on the set just to rub it in linda's face. it appears they redecorated the whole set after linda left. whoever did it sure likes the color red. i miss the porch. know what i mean? sadwalk.gif

--------------------

"

+Quote Post
Snoopy
post Apr 13 2007, 06:06 PM
Post #145

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,808

QUOTE(inga @ Apr 13 2007, 03:45 PM) [snapback]191308[/snapback]

Here's what I think happened, but this is mostly third-hand info - I may have even read it here somewhere.

The sanctuary exhibit was owned, or at least maintained, by the Clairemont SDA Church in San Diego. (That part I know for a fact as I attended church there and actually toured the life-size sanctuary exhibit. It was FANTASTIC!!) When not set up in a parking lot somewhere, the exhibit lived and traveled in a semi-truck, an 18-wheeler if I remember correctly.

Apparently the exhibit was later donated to 3ABN along with the money to build a permanent home for it there. Work on that structure began but slowed/stopped for some reason. Interestingly, this was around the time of the Illinois property tax lawsuit that 3ABN lost on the grounds that it was a business rather than a ministry (in a nutshell, and I believe 3ABN appealed). Upon learning what the state considers property used "for ministerial purposes," the structure intended to house the sanctuary exhibit would also not qualify as exempt. So, the structure was re-designed into what is now the worship center - which does qualify as exempt from property tax.

I'm happy to be corrected on any of that... wave.gif

+Quote Post
vanburton
post Apr 15 2007, 08:20 AM
Post #146

Welcome Newbie

Member No.: 2,813

There is a life size wilderness sanctuary (named Messiah's Mansion) headed to the Walla Walla area via 18 wheeler in mid-May. It will be on display for 10 days for people to tour through. It is coming from Oklahoma Academy where it is kept. I don't know if it is the same one in discussion here.

+Quote Post
watchbird
post Apr 15 2007, 08:50 AM
Post #147

1,000 + posts
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,712

QUOTE(vanburton @ Apr 15 2007, 09:20 AM) [snapback]191502[/snapback]

There is a life size wilderness sanctuary (named Messiah's Mansion) headed to the Walla Walla area via 18 wheeler in mid-May. It will be on display for 10 days for people to tour through. It is coming from Oklahoma Academy where it is kept. I don't know if it is the same one in discussion here.

This is interesting. Please keep us informed. Perhaps someone from either the Oklahoma Academy or the Walla Walla area would know the history of this exhibit.

+Quote Post
watchbird
post Apr 15 2007, 10:12 AM
Post #148

1,000 + posts
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,712

QUOTE(awesumtenor @ Apr 13 2007, 02:39 PM) [snapback]191303[/snapback]
In His service,
Mr. J

QUOTE(mozart @ Apr 13 2007, 02:54 PM) [snapback]191305[/snapback]
(i had also seen a 3abn today show interviewing the person who used that full-size sanctuary for many years in a road tour/show. he was retiring and donated it to 3abn. i'm thinking it was worth a lot of money and spiritual value so danny said they were going to build a building there on 3abn property to house that exibit for all to see ). anyone know if that happened?

I don't think that we have ever accumulated all the pieces to this story.... though as Mr J said, there have been some of it posted here on BSDA. Here are two of those.

Since this narrative is only a small section from the longer work, The Televangelist, which was posted as one long post, I'll copy the portion having to do specifically with this donation here....

The Lady and the Sanctuary
The years went by, and countless lives were broken and destroyed; sacrificed on the alter of the televangelist’s ministry. One day an elderly lady contacted the ministry. She had worked diligently to get the televangelist’s TV network carried on the local cable companies, and now she had another idea. She wanted the ministry to have a small model of the Old Testament sanctuary.

After several months of trying, she was allowed to speak with the televangelist himself. She was awed to be conversing with this representative of God. She told him her idea and said that she would provide the finances to make it happen. Prior to taking her call, the televangelist asked a few questions and found that her husband was a very wealthy retired physician. Now he told her that God was impressing him that instead of a miniature model, they were to build a full scale replica of the sanctuary that would be used as a museum, and include a theatre. He assured her that God had spoken to her.

Now the televangelist showed her a piece of property that was across the street from his ministry headquarters and told her that this was the place where God wanted his sanctuary. This was an eighty-acre tract of land that was already for sale. She wrote him a check for the amount of the property and what he estimated it would cost to construct the museum.

Construction of the facility began and then was halted. Funds were diverted to build a school with a large gymnasium adjacent to the museum. A large pond was excavated, a road was built, and apartments were constructed. The museum building sat there, an empty shell.
Several years later, the televangelist decided to redirect plans for the sanctuary building and turn it into a large auditorium and church. The local school district had successfully sued for the ministry to pay property taxes. The court decided that as they were not a church, taxes must be paid.

The elderly lady called repeatedly, but the televangelist would not take, or return her calls. She finally spoke with someone else in the ministry and told her story. She had planned on spending several thousand dollars for a sanctuary model until the televangelist convinced her that God wanted her to fund the much larger project. The check that she wrote to the televangelist was their life savings. Now she was destitute. Her husband got a divorce, and her children scorned her. From time to time they called and told her that all of this was for nothing. A master con artist had swindled her. Where was the sanctuary museum he had promised? Hadn’t God told the televangelist to build it? Hadn’t God told him that she was to fund it?
--- taken from The Televangelist, post number 1 of the thread by that name.

A post by Sister (post#232) in the thread "Danny shelton Marries... again" gives a few additional details. Here are the most pertinent parts of that post.

A lady gave money with the committment from Danny that it was to be used for a Sanctuary exhibition, actually for the building to house the exhibit. She would come quite often to visit, attending the Thompsonville SDA church (the 3ABN church) and to check on the progress of the project. She was really excited to think that she was able to help with this project. A SDA church in southern California donated it's life size portable Sanctuary exhibit to 3ABN to be housed in the building the lady had donated the money to construct. Well, the Sanctuary exhibit articles sat in the trailer (the size that had to be hauled ba an 18 wheeler) for years. With the humidity in southern Illinois, I can just imagine the damage that might have dome to it. Meanwhile, the shell of a huge building was constructed, the outside finished. Inside nothing much was done. There was no floor, only dirt, water and mud. Some insulation was hung up on the inside, but after a few years with nothing more done, it starting peeling off the inside walls. The lady that donated the money came less and less often. No further progress was made and the building remained in that condition for a number of years.

Then the big court case came with the state of Illinois investagating 3ABN right to claim property tax exemption came about and Danny had a large acreage parcel of land just down the road and across the street with only the 3ABN elementary school, some housing for guests, a nice area where he put in a double-wide trailer for his daughter, Melody, (but he did not allow any of the other workers to have their trailers there, and a pond where Danny like to take out his little boat and go fishing. Now there was a need quickly change the use of the property, so Danny took the shell of the Sanctuary Exhibit, added wings on two sides, beautifully finished the interior and there was the new worship center. Danny sold the exsisting Thompsonville church which was about a 8 minute drive away from 3ABN and a 5 minute drive from the West Franklin SDA church. Moved his congregation into the new worship center and could now prove that the land was used for ministry.

There are still questions that are unanswered. Hopefully others who are reading this will fill in some of these for us.

+Quote Post
lurker
post Apr 15 2007, 12:49 PM
Post #149

Advanced Member

Member No.: 676

I remember there was at one time an Adventist minister who toured with a full size model of the wilderness sanctuary. He would be on 3ABN from time to time and wear a priest's garments and explain different things about the sanctuary. I felt like Danny coveted the display and would nag the minister about donating it to 3ABN. He didn't seem inclined to do so at the time. I seem to remember that it was once on display in Washington DC in the mall area and drew a lot of people. Claremont church comes to mind as a sponsoring church but that could be wrong. I don't remeber the minister's name but I can see a picture of him in my mind.

This post has been edited by lurker: Apr 15 2007, 12:49 PM

+Quote Post
mozart
post Apr 15 2007, 01:40 PM
Post #150

Advanced Member

QUOTE(lurker @ Apr 15 2007, 12:49 PM) [snapback]191529[/snapback]

I remember there was at one time an Adventist minister who toured with a full size model of the wilderness sanctuary. He would be on 3ABN from time to time and wear a priest's garments and explain different things about the sanctuary. I felt like Danny coveted the display and would nag the minister about donating it to 3ABN. He didn't seem inclined to do so at the time. I seem to remember that it was once on display in Washington DC in the mall area and drew a lot of people. Claremont church comes to mind as a sponsoring church but that could be wrong. I don't remeber the minister's name but I can see a picture of him in my mind.

yeah i remember that.

--------------------

"

+Quote Post

12 Pages V  « < 8 9 10 11 12 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th March 2008 - 12:42 PM
Design by: Download IPB Skins & eBusiness
BlackSDA has no official affiliation or endorsement from the Seventh-day Adventist church