Archive of http://www.blacksda.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=9772&st=75 preserved for the defense in 3ABN and Danny Shelton v. Joy and Pickle.
Links altered to maintain their integrity and aid in navigation, but content otherwise unchanged.
Saved at 04:59:30 PM on March 23, 2008.
IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

11 Pages V  « < 4 5 6 7 8 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> An Unauthorized History of 3ABN, Chapter 8 (still more of the televangelist)
watchbird
post Jun 6 2006, 07:34 AM
Post #76

1,000 + posts
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,712

QUOTE(summertime @ Jun 6 2006, 07:09 AM) [snapback]133634[/snapback]

And if Amazing Facts associates know that they donated the first piece of equipment which has been told over and over again as being the first 'miracle' from God, why do they let this story be repeated over and over again just to embellish the story of the 'first miracle' when they know exactly where that equipment came from? summertime

Since the facts of the falsity of the "first miracle story" seems to be open knowledge among the 3ABN family itself, it is very difficult to comprehend that this has been kept a secret from the folks at Amazing Facts. However, it also would seem that even right there on the 3ABN campus there are those who are "in the know" and those who have no clue as to all that has been going on. And when you add in the fact that the purpose of the false story was to "prime the pump" so as to entice other donors into giving, it is within the realm of possibility that Amazing Facts folk don't actually know that they were the first rather than the second of the large donors. I also understand that the equipment spoken of in the first "miracle story" was loaned at least for a time. Which could also explain why Amazing Facts were not aware that theirs was the first actual donation of equipment.

That does still not absolve them from continuing to believe Danny in the face of so many other voices which are raising questions and making such things public knowledge. One can only guess at what interior or exterior compulsions there must be to keep such persons acting like accomplices rather than taking things that they must be hearing seriously enough to at least investigate for themselves.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
beartrap
post Jun 6 2006, 07:54 AM
Post #77

500 + posts
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,659

Amazing Facts didn't donate equipment. They bartered it for airtime. And at that time Joe Crews was in charge at Amazing Facts.

The "miracle" story is that Hal and Mollie Steenson donated one hundred thousand dollars worth of equipment.

+Quote Post
watchbird
post Jun 6 2006, 08:46 AM
Post #78

1,000 + posts
Group Icon

QUOTE(beartrap @ Jun 6 2006, 07:54 AM) [snapback]133641[/snapback]

Amazing Facts didn't donate equipment. They bartered it for airtime. And at that time Joe Crews was in charge at Amazing Facts.

The "miracle" story is that Hal and Mollie Steenson donated one hundred thousand dollars worth of equipment.

Thanks for the correction. There is indeed a significant difference between donating and bartering.

What about the details on the "miracle" story? Did they, as I had understood, loan some equipment with the understanding that it was only a loan, not a gift, and was for the purpose of concocting a false "miracle" story so as to "prime the pump" in the sense of attracting other donors who also wanted to be part of the "miracle"?

Or was there no equipment involved at all and the whole thing was a concocted story?

+Quote Post
Guest_vonessa_*
post Jun 6 2006, 09:43 AM
Post #79

Guests

At this point I do have to say that it is got to be the work of God to get the chanel on the air in the first place as it is very hard to raise that kind of money. I know in some churches it has taken years or for a rich person to die and leave money to the church for them to get good equipment. But there they got it and I dont think it is right to say it is all a bad thing.

+Quote Post
beartrap
post Jun 6 2006, 11:37 AM
Post #80

500 + posts
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,659

QUOTE(vonessa @ Jun 6 2006, 10:43 AM) [snapback]133651[/snapback]

At this point I do have to say that it is got to be the work of God to get the chanel on the air in the first place as it is very hard to raise that kind of money. I know in some churches it has taken years or for a rich person to die and leave money to the church for them to get good equipment. But there they got it and I dont think it is right to say it is all a bad thing.

So money means God's blessing? If I have the freedom to engage in form of chicanery, create false miracles, and use these methods to raise money to create my own religious empire and I succeed, It is God's doing and not the result of my misleading salesmanship? As long as you are being told what you want to hear, see miracles where you want to see miracles, and can comfortably believe that "the truth" is being spread by way of falsehood, the percieved end, justifies any and all evils used to achieve that end? It is depressing to know that there are so many people who are so willing to believe that God's has to settle for snake oil, and that he has to use lies in order to accomplish his work. no.gif

+Quote Post
summertime
post Jun 6 2006, 12:00 PM
Post #81

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,655

QUOTE(vonessa @ Jun 6 2006, 10:43 AM) [snapback]133651[/snapback]

Vonessa, I too believe in the work that 3ABN has done in sending the message to the world. But I do not believe that this work has only been promoted by one man or one family--especially when they have knocked down others to climb upwards themselves. One thing that I object to,, if it is indeed true that the story of the 'first miracle' is a facade to cover what really happened, then I do not think that dishonesty and unfaithfulness is pleasing to God. Many times in the Bible we see that good has come out of the stories of people who have turned away from God, repented, and still had to suffer for the terrible wrongs that they did---Read the story of Sampson--he was to do a great work for God,--he was set aside as special by God before he was born, but he strayed--lust became his Master, and as a result he became a blind man who never finished the work that God had planned for him to do,--in the end he died with, what I understand, was the forgiveness of God---and he took many others with him.. But he paid for it dearly--how much better it would have been for him to stay truthful and faithful to God---what a wonderful work he could have done for God. When our leaders betray the hope that God has for their lives, in the end, they will do more harm for others than good. If any one of them offends, he/she will pay dearly for it in the end.

+Quote Post
sonshineonme
post Jun 6 2006, 12:01 PM
Post #82

1,000 + posts
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,709

QUOTE(beartrap @ Jun 6 2006, 09:37 AM) [snapback]133664[/snapback]

So money means God's blessing? If I have the freedom to engage in form of chicanery, create false miracles, and use these methods to raise money to create my own religious empire and I succeed, It is God's doing and not the result of my misleading salesmanship? As long as you are being told what you want to hear, see miracles where you want to see miracles, and can comfortably believe that "the truth" is being spread by way of falsehood, the percieved end, justifies any and all evils used to achieve that end? It is depressing to know that there are so many people who are so willing to believe that God's has to settle for snake oil, and that he has to use lies in order to accomplish his work. no.gif

Well put Bear....I have been thinking about what Vonessa just said and what Inga said yesterday, really trying to keep open to the whys and whats and therefores, and I came back to the same thing; what looks like "blessings" doesn't mean it is of God. I couldn't think of a way to get it across, but you did it for me and I am glad you did. I think people need to open their eyes and SEE what is in front of them, stop trusting so easily because that's what they WANT to see, based on expectations because it's our "church" and we have the TRUTH, but be ready and willing to see it as it really is, otherwise, you are allowing yourself to be deceived, and these days, you really have to examine things more and more closely, (and hope you don't come out cynical at the end). He exposes things to us so we can LEARN! Learn not only what is false and also how clever the ways of the devil, but because He loves us so much that He wants us not to be fooled and deceived either, and inch by inch He allows us to see things as to not overwhelm us with the true ugliness of sin at it's utmost worst - being done in JESUS NAME. I asked God the other day "how can you stand this? how can you stand people using your name, misrepresenting you so terribly and not be mad at your children for being so selfish and kniving in YOUR NAME". Well, He didn't answer me directly, but knowing His love and character, He is slow to anger (and I am personally grateful for this part of His character) and He has the full picture always in mind. He does have it all in His control, but this never excuses us from calling it as it is and as it says in the bible, to declare "get the behind me SATAN". yes.gif

This post has been edited by sonshineonme: Jun 6 2006, 12:05 PM

--------------------
Here's the thing - "...if you pull "folks" into a fight you don't know what "weapon" they will bring." PrincessDrRe

"A man who digs a pit for others to fall into, will end up falling into it himself. And if a man rolls a stone on someone, the stone will roll back on him". Said Solomon the wise, Proverbs 26:27

"No man can follow Christ and go astray." William H.P. Faunce

"If I could hear Christ praying for me in the next room, I would not fear a million enemies. Yet distance makes no difference. He is praying for me." Robert M. McCheyne

Click here for Linda Shelton's newly updated website

+Quote Post
caribbean sda
post Jun 6 2006, 12:33 PM
Post #83

500 + posts
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,678

QUOTE(beartrap @ Jun 6 2006, 09:54 AM) [snapback]133641[/snapback]

I guess the old saying is true...if you repeat a falsehood long enough, soon enough you'll believe it and have others believing it as well. I've heard and seen that Steenson donation story so much that...well...let's just say, I don't believe it anymore... no.gif thumbdown.gif

--------------------
"Press on, regardless...what's to come is better than what's been...!"

+Quote Post
sister
post Jun 6 2006, 04:14 PM
Post #84

500 + posts
Group Icon

Member No.: 762

Persecution...

As Danny eases himself into his red chair on the “3ABN Today” set, there is a grim look to his countenance. Leaning back, he closes his eyes as his fingers beat rhythmically upon his thigh. How dare they write these things about him! A flurry of activity on the set surrounds him: cameras move into position, a final sound check, everyone prepares as the opening is rolled and the floor director readies to cue Danny. But in the midst of this hyperactivity, like the eerie silence that inhabits the eye of a hurricane, Danny sits motionless — thinking and waiting.

The opening roll is over and Danny is cued, a smile lights up his face as he welcomes the viewers. Upon closer observation, the smile stops at his eyes. According to the popular saying, “the eyes are the windows to the soul”: in contradiction to the smile, there is no welcoming light behind the curtains that veil the entrance to this individuals’s psyche, his eyes remain dark and piercing. Looking directly into the camera Danny raises up his shoulders slightly and like the consummate actor that years of experience have produced, a feigned look of pain and disbelief crosses his face as he makes the following statements—his declaration calculated to position himself among those who have been persecuted for the cause of God: “I do not understand why these people are writing all these lies about me and John Lomacang, this ministry is not about Danny Shelton, it is about God. I know that we should expect to be persecuted. But when they write these lies they are really persecuting God and his church.” Throughout these utterances of suggested innocence and his claims of oppression by those representing the of workings of Satan, that same intense expression remains in his eyes, a cold darkness that no light can penetrate.

The Bible pronounces blessings upon those who have been persecuted for righteousness’ sake, for those who have had all manner of evil falsely testified about them for the sake of the advancement of the Gospel and they are promised great rewards in Heaven: “Blessed are they that have been persecuted for righteousness’ sake: for theirs is the kingdom of heaven. Blessed are ye when men shall reproach you, and persecute you and say all manner of evil against you falsely, for my sake. Rejoice, and be exceeding glad: for great is your reward in heaven; for so persecuted they the prophets that were before you.” Matthew 5:10-12.

The preceding Scripture does not call those blessed and persecuted who persistently continue to sinfully soil themselves and have had their dirty laundry aired in public. It is not persecution when victims stand up and divulge the details of the injustice that has been inflicted upon them and name their abusers. Or when other unscrupulous actions are disclosed in the light of day. Reward? It would appear that ingenious schemers are capable of calculating their own rewards on earth and bestowing it upon themselves in this world — for no reward is laid up in Heaven for those who have done all manner of things in God’s name, yet upon whom He must turn his back and say, “I never knew you”.

The greatest rewards of all? Living for eternity in the presence of God, walking and talking with Jesus and the fellowship of the faithful in Christ. Not jet planes, basketball courts, herds of horses or all the pleasures that ill gotten gains can provide: all these things will all pass away. And all that will remain is the character that has been developed in a man, woman or child through an intimate relationship with Jesus Christ.

Has Danny Shelton been persecuted for righteousness’ sake? Has he been beaten for his faith, lost his livelihood or been convicted in a court of law for following the dictates of a Holy Spirit influenced conscience? Have falsehoods, calculated to stopping the spreading of the Gospel, been hurled at Danny? Has Danny been persecuted like the prophets that came before him? No, but many of his clandestine activities are being uncovered publicly and they have not been committed for the furtherance of the Gospel. Is it possible to work like the Devil to further the cause of God? Or when a person gets caught with his hand in the cookie jar, is that persecution?

Stay tuned...

+Quote Post
sonshineonme
post Jun 6 2006, 09:36 PM
Post #85

1,000 + posts
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,709

scratchchin.gif
QUOTE(sister @ Jun 6 2006, 02:14 PM) [snapback]133691[/snapback]

Persecution...

As Danny eases himself into his red chair on the “3ABN Today” set, there is a grim look to his countenance. Leaning back, he closes his eyes as his fingers beat rhythmically upon his thigh. How dare they write these things about him! A flurry of activity on the set surrounds him: cameras move into position, a final sound check, everyone prepares as the opening is rolled and the floor director readies to cue Danny. But in the midst of this hyperactivity, like the eerie silence that inhabits the eye of a hurricane, Danny sits motionless — thinking and waiting.

The opening roll is over and Danny is cued, a smile lights up his face as he welcomes the viewers. Upon closer observation, the smile stops at his eyes. According to the popular saying, “the eyes are the windows to the soul”: in contradiction to the smile, there is no welcoming light behind the curtains that veil the entrance to this individuals’s psyche, his eyes remain dark and piercing. Looking directly into the camera Danny raises up his shoulders slightly and like the consummate actor that years of experience have produced, a feigned look of pain and disbelief crosses his face as he makes the following statements—his declaration calculated to position himself among those who have been persecuted for the cause of God: [i]“I do not understand why these people are writing all these lies about me and John Lomacang, this ministry is not about Danny Shelton, it is about God. I know that we should expect to be persecuted. But when they write these lies they are really persecuting God and his church.”[/i] Throughout these utterances of suggested innocence and his claims of oppression by those representing the of workings of Satan, that same intense expression remains in his eyes, a cold darkness that no light can penetrate....

As I read this and the bible texts that talk about persecution, I had to conclude that if he has nothing to worry about, has done nothing wrong, then technically he should be "rejoicing" that he is being persecuted. He can't understand scratchchin.gif because he has always managed to keep control of things, and now it's catching up to him from all sides (inside, outside and family side), and he will be dealing with the 'crisis' no matter what he tries to convey to his "followers" at large. There is always a beginning to the end of a demise, and I'm afraid he's on the downhill route as we speak. The saying "what goes around comes around" seems to be more then a saying - it comes from planting seeds and reeping them - no matter what the seeds may be. Ye reep what ye do sew. I'm sure he has read this bible text too? All that needs to happen is repentance - accountability, honesty, humility....can it happen? Will it happen? Now, that would be a REAL miracle, wouldn't it. scratchchin.gif What frustrates me even more is how he will (attempt) to spin this and make it a "poor me" thing, just like when he kicked Linda out and made it appear as though she left him and we ought to all pray for her, that love is forever and I want her back...spin spin spin. Well, the spin stops here (as Bill Orielly would say). yes.gif

--------------------
Here's the thing - "...if you pull "folks" into a fight you don't know what "weapon" they will bring." PrincessDrRe

"A man who digs a pit for others to fall into, will end up falling into it himself. And if a man rolls a stone on someone, the stone will roll back on him". Said Solomon the wise, Proverbs 26:27

"No man can follow Christ and go astray." William H.P. Faunce

"If I could hear Christ praying for me in the next room, I would not fear a million enemies. Yet distance makes no difference. He is praying for me." Robert M. McCheyne

Click here for Linda Shelton's newly updated website

+Quote Post
gracetoyou
post Jun 7 2006, 06:40 AM
Post #86

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,724

Seems like Danny's adulterous marriage to Brandy opened up a huge can of worms which he did not anticipate. Just read this text this morning - "He who sows wickedness reaps trouble, and the rod of his fury will be destroyed." Proverbs 22:8

What "lies about me and John Lomacang" is Danny talking about? The posts on BSDA? Why would he mention them on 3ABN? I doubt that many of his viewers are aware of BSDA and what is being said about him. Wouldn't they wonder what in the world he is talking about? Are there other media that are exposing Shelton's shenanigans? Do you think prominent and influential people in Adventism have gotten wind of BSDA and are following this thread?

--------------------
GRACETOYOU

Grace to you and peace from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ. 1 Corinthians 1:3

+Quote Post
watchbird
post Jun 7 2006, 08:01 AM
Post #87

1,000 + posts
Group Icon

QUOTE(sister @ Jun 6 2006, 04:14 PM) [snapback]133691[/snapback]

Persecution...

The opening roll is over and Danny is cued, a smile lights up his face as he welcomes the viewers. Upon closer observation, the smile stops at his eyes. According to the popular saying, “the eyes are the windows to the soul”: in contradiction to the smile, there is no welcoming light behind the curtains that veil the entrance to this individuals’s psyche, his eyes remain dark and piercing. Looking directly into the camera Danny raises up his shoulders slightly and like the consummate actor that years of experience have produced, a feigned look of pain and disbelief crosses his face as he makes the following statements—his declaration calculated to position himself among those who have been persecuted for the cause of God: “I do not understand why these people are writing all these lies about me and John Lomacang, this ministry is not about Danny Shelton, it is about God. I know that we should expect to be persecuted. But when they write these lies they are really persecuting God and his church.” Throughout these utterances of suggested innocence and his claims of oppression by those representing the of workings of Satan, that same intense expression remains in his eyes, a cold darkness that no light can penetrate. [ . . . ]
Stay tuned...

QUOTE(gracetoyou @ Jun 7 2006, 06:40 AM) [snapback]133764[/snapback]

Seems like Danny's adulterous marriage to Brandy opened up a huge can of worms which he did not anticipate. Just read this text this morning - "He who sows wickedness reaps trouble, and the rod of his fury will be destroyed." Proverbs 22:8
While what you say is true, for Danny's most recent marriage has certainly been significant in getting the attention of many, it was his abrupt firing and divorcing of Linda about two years ago that first began bringing these things to light. And his continued harassment of her which continues to the present time has also been a factor in revealing the "wickedness" which he has been sowing as well as the extent to which it has taken root deep in his heart and produced much poisonous fruit that has affected many lives. (A much more serious bag of seeds and fertilizer than the "hair seeds" we've been laughing about in another thread.) You next ask:
What "lies about me and John Lomacang" is Danny talking about? The posts on BSDA? Why would he mention them on 3ABN? I doubt that many of his viewers are aware of BSDA and what is being said about him. Wouldn't they wonder what in the world he is talking about? Are there other media that are exposing Shelton's shenanigans? Do you think prominent and influential people in Adventism have gotten wind of BSDA and are following this thread?
While there is no doubt but what Danny as well as "prominent and influential" Adventists are following what is being said on BSDA, I do not think that is what led to the scene Sister described so graphically in her post above. I think that this scene is probably a continuation of the subject of her post #313 in this thread, in which she began reading and commenting on the unpublished document called, "The Televangelist", and Danny's reaction to it. At that time she said:
Why would a self-professed fictionalized account produce the following display of action by Danny Shelton: a 2 hour program on a Thursday evening hosted by Danny and his brother Tommy in regard to it, an intense search devoted to locating it’s author, Danny making all kinds of lawsuit threats to everyone he thought was a potential author, and it is reported that Danny’s benefactor even threw his legal team into action. WHY?
Sister went on there to explain that Danny had not found the actual author. What she did not say was that within hours of the time the first copies were sent out to private individuals, someone unknown to the original senders had sent Danny a copy and almost immediately he gave it publicity by going to great lengths to deny that it was true in the TV special Sister describes. So when you say, "I doubt that many of his viewers are aware of BSDA and what is being said about him. Wouldn't they wonder what in the world he is talking about?" it really doesn't apply to him. For certainly not many of his viewers had seen the document at the time he publicized it by his denial.

This post has been edited by watchbird: Jun 7 2006, 08:05 AM

+Quote Post
calvin
post Jun 7 2006, 08:23 AM
Post #88

site admin
Group Icon

Group: Owner
Member No.: 1

QUOTE(gracetoyou @ Jun 7 2006, 07:40 AM) [snapback]133764[/snapback]

It is hard to say. BSDA gets about 4,000 unique hits here a month. But my gut feeling is probably not. The Adventist online message board junkies like ourselves from BSDA, SDAOL, CA, SDAnet and there are a few active MSN and Yahoo Adventist mailing list groups that are following this story here but I suspect not much more. BSDA has over 1,500 members and CA has over 2,000 but the nature of message boards is that we struggle to much more than 5% as active members. These platforms have there drawbacks. To really follow a thread with 700+ posts you really have to have more that just a casual interest. Most people will find keep up exhausting.

But having said all this, the Internet and discussions forum are a powerful communications platform that continues to grow in influence unabated.

+Quote Post
sister
post Jun 7 2006, 08:59 AM
Post #89

500 + posts
Group Icon

Member No.: 762

QUOTE(watchbird @ Jun 7 2006, 09:01 AM) [snapback]133771[/snapback]

While what you say is true, for Danny's most recent marriage has certainly been significant in getting the attention of many, it was his abrupt firing and divorcing of Linda about two years ago that first began bringing these things to light. And his continued harassment of her which continues to the present time has also been a factor in revealing the "wickedness" which he has been sowing as well as the extent to which it has taken root deep in his heart and produced much poisonous fruit that has affected many lives. (A much more serious bag of seeds and fertilizer than the "hair seeds" we've been laughing about in another thread.) You next ask:
While there is no doubt but what Danny as well as "prominent and influential" Adventists are following what is being said on BSDA, I do not think that is what led to the scene Sister described so graphically in her post above. I think that this scene is probably a continuation of the subject of her post #313 in this thread, in which she began reading and commenting on the unpublished document called, "The Televangelist", and Danny's reaction to it. At that time she said:
Sister went on there to explain that Danny had not found the actual author. What she did not say was that within hours of the time the first copies were sent out to private individuals, someone unknown to the original senders had sent Danny a copy and almost immediately he gave it publicity by going to great lengths to deny that it was true in the TV special Sister describes. So when you say, "I doubt that many of his viewers are aware of BSDA and what is being said about him. Wouldn't they wonder what in the world he is talking about?" it really doesn't apply to him. For certainly not many of his viewers had seen the document at the time he publicized it by his denial.

If Danny was refering to "The Televangelist" I am not certain, but the comments were made recently, in the last few weeks. Is he still commenting on "The Televangelist"? You will have to judge that for yourself...

Who is reading this thread, I do not know, but it has over fifteen and a half thousands hits since April 16, perhaps more than the current membership must be interested in this topic.

This post has been edited by sister: Jun 7 2006, 09:01 AM

+Quote Post
gracetoyou
post Jun 7 2006, 09:06 AM
Post #90

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,724

QUOTE(watchbird @ Jun 7 2006, 10:01 AM) [snapback]133771[/snapback]

While there is no doubt but what Danny as well as "prominent and influential" Adventists are following what is being said on BSDA, I do not think that is what led to the scene Sister described so graphically in her post above. I think that this scene is probably a continuation of the subject of her post #313 in this thread, in which she began reading and commenting on the unpublished document called, "The Televangelist", and Danny's reaction to it.

So why would he rant on international t.v. about a document - "The Televangelist"- which very few of his viewers had read or were even aware of? Wouldn't this just serve to awaken their curiosity and make them want to read what he was talking about? Is he that dumb? By the way, how can we get a copy of "The Televangelist"?

--------------------
GRACETOYOU

Grace to you and peace from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ. 1 Corinthians 1:3

+Quote Post

11 Pages V  « < 4 5 6 7 8 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd March 2008 - 03:59 PM
Design by: Download IPB Skins & eBusiness
BlackSDA has no official affiliation or endorsement from the Seventh-day Adventist church