Archive of http://www.blacksda.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=12965&st=165 preserved for the defense in 3ABN and Danny Shelton v. Joy and Pickle.
Links altered to maintain their integrity and aid in navigation, but content otherwise unchanged.
Saved at 01:50:27 PM on March 27, 2008.
IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

16 Pages V  « < 10 11 12 13 14 > »   
Closed TopicStart new topic
> The True Version Of 3abn
gracetoyou
post Mar 21 2007, 07:17 AM
Post #166

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,724

QUOTE(daylily @ Mar 21 2007, 08:29 AM) [snapback]186781[/snapback]

Jewelry was never my thing, even as a Baptist. I only wore earrings sometimes but basically they were just a nuisance (sp?) and I hated rings. I kept taking them off to wash my hands and losing them. I've never understood the fascination with jewelry:-) or neck ties:-) When I joined the SDA church, I wore really short short mini skirts. Those dear old ladies at the church never said a word about the way I dressed. Every Sabbath, they would hug me and tell me how glad they were to see me and never, ever said a thing about my dress or lack thereof. Gradually, I came to understand the whole modesty thing and lengthened my skirts.

So how will you distinguish an Adventist in heaven from other Christians?

Adventists won't have jewels in their crowns. Their crowns will just have a big watch. rofl1.gif

Again, I'm not advocating jewelry. Don't wear it myself. But there are much more important issues in Christianity on which to focus.

"There is no need to make the dress question the main point of your religion. There is something richer to speak of. Talk of Christ, and when the heart is converted everything that is out of harmony with the Word of God will drop off." Evangelism 272

Daylily, you were fortunate to worship with mature, loving Christians who allowed you to grow spiritually without condemnation or offensive confrontation.

"No one has ever been reclaimed from a wrong position by censure and reproach; but many have thus been driven from Christ and led to seal their hearts against conviction.... The revelation of Christ in your own character will have a transforming power upon all with whom you come in contact." Thoughts From the Mount of Blessing, 129

--------------------
GRACETOYOU

Grace to you and peace from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ. 1 Corinthians 1:3
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
daylily
post Mar 21 2007, 07:30 AM
Post #167

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,715

"Adventists won't have jewels in their crowns. Their crowns will just have a big watch."

rofl1.gif

"Daylily, you were fortunate to worship with mature, loving Christians who allowed you to grow spiritually without condemnation or offensive confrontation."

Yes, I was. For years, I thought all SDAs were like these people at "my" little church but sadly, I've heard and read much that blows that idea out of the water sad.gif

+Quote Post
Pickle
post Mar 21 2007, 07:42 AM
Post #168

1,000 + posts
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,960

Three sermons ago at a particular church, I hit jewelry, but not just jewelry. I hit spending too much on houses too. I heard a documentary in January on American homes, how they keep getting bigger and bigger. I recall from that documentary a family of three that had a 7000 square foot home with 7 bathrooms. Christian stewardship doesn't just deal with jewelry. If God has given us surplus, He's given it to us to advance the cause of God and help our fellow man, not spend it on ourselves and bury it in the earth.

We need to be careful that we don't use the inconsistencies and unchristlikeness of others to excuse our neglect of obeying Christ in any matter, including what He has said about jewelry.

+Quote Post
Lee
post Mar 21 2007, 07:50 AM
Post #169

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,957

Can we get back on topic please? offtopic.gif

This is an interesting topic and I think another thread should be started to discuss it.

+Quote Post
LaurenceD
post Mar 21 2007, 08:06 AM
Post #170

500 + posts
Group Icon

Member No.: 3,035

OT: http://www.truthorfables.com/EGW_and_Jewelry.htm

(I honestly had never seen this site before doing a "jewelry" search)

--------------------
Disclaimer Notice: You are hereby cautioned that the information contained within these posts are for the sole purpose of provoking thought, adding fair comment on matters of public interest, and not providing factual information. These posts do not reflect the actual thoughts or intentions of the person writing under this username since said person is not in any position to know. No effort has been made to ensure the accuracy of any personal view, opinion, or hyperbole presented. Therefore, by disclosing, copying, or distributing these posts to others, such information must subsequently be confirmed in writing, signed and dated, by the actual person, or persons, posting behind username LaurenceD.

+Quote Post
princessdi
post Mar 21 2007, 09:18 AM
Post #171

5,000 + posts
Group Icon

Group: Administrator
Member No.: 47

LOL!!!! rofl1.gif I love it Grace!! rofl1.gif

Amen and Amen!!!!!

QUOTE(gracetoyou @ Mar 21 2007, 05:17 AM) [snapback]186783[/snapback]

So how will you distinguish an Adventist in heaven from other Christians?

Adventists won't have jewels in their crowns. Their crowns will just have a big watch. rofl1.gif

Again, I'm not advocating jewelry. Don't wear it myself. But there are much more important issues in Christianity on which to focus.

"There is no need to make the dress question the main point of your religion. There is something richer to speak of. Talk of Christ, and when the heart is converted everything that is out of harmony with the Word of God will drop off." Evangelism 272

Daylily, you were fortunate to worship with mature, loving Christians who allowed you to grow spiritually without condemnation or offensive confrontation.

"No one has ever been reclaimed from a wrong position by censure and reproach; but many have thus been driven from Christ and led to seal their hearts against conviction.... The revelation of Christ in your own character will have a transforming power upon all with whom you come in contact." Thoughts From the Mount of Blessing, 129

--------------------
TTFN
Di

And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose---Romans 8:28

A great many people believe they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.-- William James

It is better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.- Mark Twain

+Quote Post
Pickle
post Mar 21 2007, 09:23 AM
Post #172

1,000 + posts
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,960

QUOTE(LaurenceD @ Mar 21 2007, 09:06 AM) [snapback]186792[/snapback]

OT: http://www.truthorfables.com/EGW_and_Jewelry.htm

(I honestly had never seen this site before doing a "jewelry" search)

Sometimes when you dig into what Robert Sanders says, it gets kind of funny.

Take a look at "Ellen White Contradicted Herself by Wearing Jewelry", which deals more with what Dirk Anderson says than about Sanders. (It needs a little updating.)

But here's the point: Sanders says on that page, "Ellen G. White proudly wearing her Gold Chain 'Idol' with her twin sister Elizabeth Harmon Bangs seated." How can Sanders tell from a B&W photo that she's wearing a gold chain?

Ask the White Estate and they will tell you that the "gold chain" is actually a "chain" made out of Ellen White's hair. Look at the original real close, something the critics hardly ever do, and you'll be able to see how that is the case.

+Quote Post
LaurenceD
post Mar 21 2007, 10:08 AM
Post #173

500 + posts
Group Icon

I had to look up Dirk Anderson to find the actual picture. It does resemble hair, or something, in places, but there's also some kind of metal (I had to copy and zoom in). Perhaps it's a combination so that both statements are true (or ˝ true)?

IPB Image

--------------------
Disclaimer Notice: You are hereby cautioned that the information contained within these posts are for the sole purpose of provoking thought, adding fair comment on matters of public interest, and not providing factual information. These posts do not reflect the actual thoughts or intentions of the person writing under this username since said person is not in any position to know. No effort has been made to ensure the accuracy of any personal view, opinion, or hyperbole presented. Therefore, by disclosing, copying, or distributing these posts to others, such information must subsequently be confirmed in writing, signed and dated, by the actual person, or persons, posting behind username LaurenceD.

+Quote Post
erik
post Mar 21 2007, 10:13 AM
Post #174

Advanced Member

Group: Financial Donor
Member No.: 2,782

QUOTE(LaurenceD @ Mar 21 2007, 08:08 AM) [snapback]186803[/snapback]

I had to look up Dirk Anderson to find the actual picture. It does resemble hair, or something, in places, but there's also some kind of metal (I had to copy and zoom in). Perhaps it's a combination so that both statements are true (or ˝ true)?

IPB Image

I guess I Really do not understand the big deal, if her chain was gold what is the big deal, if it was not, whats the big deal.

Erik

+Quote Post
LaurenceD
post Mar 21 2007, 10:27 AM
Post #175

500 + posts
Group Icon

It may not be a big deal, but it may be the real deal. Not sure though. It is important to be able to square the biblical with the Sop, and with what one saying it actually does. One quote has EW saying she has worn the pin ever since it was given to her... "for it is handy and becoming, while it is not showy at all." --Letter 32a, 1891, pp. 2, 3. (To J. E. and Emma White, December 7, 1891.)

BTW, I'll spare you the details here, for the sake of OT, but I have a theory why Paul says women should cover their heads for the angel's sake (based on an old text from the book of Enoch).

--------------------

+Quote Post
Observer
post Mar 21 2007, 10:32 AM
Post #176

500 + posts
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,664

QUOTE(LaurenceD @ Mar 21 2007, 10:08 AM) [snapback]186803[/snapback]

IPB Image

Here are the facts:

1) EGW did wear more jewelery than SDAs thought. This is demonstrated by the availability of certain photographes that show her wearing some jewelery.

2) The problem is that in the case of the most published one (actually two) of those photographs, the jewelry that she was wearing was "airbrushed" out of the photograph. So, she is presented as not wearing jewelery when in actuality, she was.

3) While the above is true, that does not mean that the website cited, is accurate in what it says.
IOW, the reality may be that she wore jewelery less than one might think from going to that website.

4) How does one reconcile the reality that she wore some jewelery, with what she said in her writings? Two possible responses come to my mind:

a) She was an imperfect human, who did not always live up the standards that she taught. I think that there is some truth in this, and I apply this to some issues, such as diet. People who know our denominational history, know that she taught dietary issues ahead of her practice.

'b) The other response posiblly is: EGW was a reasonable woman who basicly lived what she taught. So, in looking at her actual practice, we can see an example of how she applied her teachings on jewelery to her life. In doing so, we may see that her teachings on jewelery have been distorted by some, and she did allow some. This is the position that I thaink applies, at least in part, to this question.

O.K. Back to the subject:

This post has been edited by Observer: Mar 21 2007, 10:33 AM

--------------------
Gregory Matthews posts here under the name "Observer."

+Quote Post
Bystander
post Mar 21 2007, 11:04 AM
Post #177

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,777

QUOTE(Snoopy @ Mar 20 2007, 09:18 PM) [snapback]186739[/snapback]

Oh, thank GOD!!! I thought I was the only one who thinks like that. I've never quite been able to figure out that adornment thing...and I have often wondered about it in the context of mens' ties!! And also, women who wear belts...oh, and pins are OK I guess...! My academy experience was so filled with that kind of stuff that I got turned off of SDAism at a young age. Seemed they were more worried about make-up and jewelry than they were with my walk with Jesus... And yet, as you say, mansions and expensive cars are not specifically called out in the Bible!! Even back to the adornment thing...imagine two women who are dressing for SDA church...one spent $500 on the dress alone not to mention the matching shoes, purse and other "acceptable" accessories...and the other shows up in a simple JCPenneys (please, no offense to anyone who shops at JCP...I have shopped there many a time...) outfit with a string of fake pearls and...oh my...can you imagine...??? Ughhhh... I have struggled with that for YEARS!! Thank you SO much, gracetoyou, for sharing your perspective and helping me see that its not just me...!!! wave.gif
happydance.gif happydance.gif happydance.gif happydance.gif happydance.gif
OK sorry.gif that I was offtopic.gif but I feel better. Thank you for listening.

Even though I am not a big supporter of jewelry, there is much too be said for some of the opinions I have read here. Why is your ring worse than my cuff links or tie pin. The same for women wearing make up. If I see a woman all made up like Jezebel, yes, I admit, it gives me a bad impression, but normal make up wear I see nothing wrong with. Women get a bad rap on this subject all the way around. Some men might not believe in make up but they themselves might wear a rug....What is the difference. You could say it is all vanity and vexation of the spirit right? It is all an attempt to look nicer. JMO but there is an awful lot of gray area and fine lines with what is ok and what is not. As I said, even though As an adventist I am not to fond of wearing jewelry but when I find myself in a position to try to explain why this is ok, but this is not, I am left stuttering and stammering.

+Quote Post
princessdi
post Mar 21 2007, 11:07 AM
Post #178

5,000 + posts
Group Icon

Group: Administrator
Member No.: 47

Well said, BS!!

QUOTE(Bystander @ Mar 21 2007, 10:04 AM) [snapback]186812[/snapback]

Even though I am not a big supporter of jewelry, there is much too be said for some of the opinions I have read here. Why is your ring worse than my cuff links or tie pin. The same for women wearing make up. If I see a woman all made up like Jezebel, yes, I admit, it gives me a bad impression, but normal make up wear I see nothing wrong with. Women get a bad rap on this subject all the way around. Some men might not believe in make up but they themselves might wear a rug....What is the difference. You could say it is all vanity and vexation of the spirit right? It is all an attempt to look nicer. JMO but there is an awful lot of gray area and fine lines with what is ok and what is not. As I said, even though As an adventist I am not to fond of wearing jewelry but when I find myself in a position to try to explain why this is ok, but this is not, I am left stuttering and stammering.

--------------------
TTFN
Di

And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose---Romans 8:28

A great many people believe they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.-- William James

It is better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.- Mark Twain

+Quote Post
Denny
post Mar 21 2007, 11:27 AM
Post #179

5,000 + posts
Group Icon

Group: Charter Member
Member No.: 2

QUOTE(Bystander @ Mar 21 2007, 05:04 PM) [snapback]186812[/snapback]

Thats cos the basis of our doctrine is based on sand and 19th century biases

--------------------
Queen Den

March- Ok where is spring? ..

+Quote Post
Snoopy
post Mar 21 2007, 12:18 PM
Post #180

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,808

QUOTE(Bystander @ Mar 21 2007, 11:04 AM) [snapback]186812[/snapback]

wow.gif cheer.gif

Thank you for that, Bystander. We are in total agreement on that one!! I think there is a big difference between the steps one (man or woman) might take to make themself look neat and well-kept with a healthy self-image vs. steps one might take to simply draw attention to themselves or how much money they might have...but that is just me. What I truly admire about the perspective you share is that what is "right" might be different for everyone due to the grayness of the issue. In my case, this type of thing, among many others, was such a big enforcement deal in academy that I ended up wanting to do and try everything "they" said not to... It has taken years for me to come around to the realization that Jesus loves me for who I am, regardless of whether I feel better about my appearance if I use a necklace or a pair of earrings or a belt or a pin to accessorize my outfit, or if I feel better about my eyes if I use mascara to outline them a bit more than nature did...!!!! I no longer expect to see the jewelry/make-up guard just outside the gates of heaven... wave.gif

And I am NOT trying to hijack this thread...but it appears that others also have feelings on this topic!!! OK - I'm done!

This post has been edited by Snoopy: Mar 21 2007, 12:22 PM

+Quote Post

16 Pages V  « < 10 11 12 13 14 > » 
Closed TopicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th March 2008 - 12:50 PM
Design by: Download IPB Skins & eBusiness
BlackSDA has no official affiliation or endorsement from the Seventh-day Adventist church