Archive of http://www.blacksda.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=9766&st=75 preserved for the defense in 3ABN and Danny Shelton v. Joy and Pickle.
Links altered to maintain their integrity and aid in navigation, but content otherwise unchanged.
Saved at 04:56:28 PM on March 23, 2008.
IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

11 Pages V  « < 4 5 6 7 8 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> An Unauthorized History of 3ABN, Chapter 5 (thread was closed then reopened)
NormF
post May 5 2006, 11:15 PM
Post #76

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,691

Santayana: "Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it."

QUOTE(Clay @ May 5 2006, 09:32 AM) [snapback]129395[/snapback]
true.... if the sda church has made a faustian deal with Mr. Shelton, then I hope they are prepared to deal with the fallout.... it wouldn't be the 1st time a faustian deal was entered into by the church.....
------------

It seemed impossible prior to it happening, incomprehensible when it did, and so mind-numbing afterward that most wanted simply to forget it. But 100 and some years ago, the Adventist church was in the midst of a Faustian pact, underwritten, nay, some say in some ways created, by EGW no less. Despite that, today, historians say the fire at Battle Creek Sanitarium (1902) was the fall needed to take John Harvey Kellogg down. The San, however, was not the only building that fell. Ten months, the large R & H publishing house burned to the ground. The man was not the only problem, so was the church ghetto.

Fires in today's mediacentric, science-driven world may be different technologically (or maybe not?), today's problems different from those then; but remember that behind the tides of men that rise and fall, as surely now as then, moves the hand of God. Happily, when all was said and done then, the Adventist church ended up the better for it.

Fire may come again. If God can take someone down before, He can do it again. Will we (the corporate church) be better for it? Depends. He knows how to clean house. And He knows who are His and who are not.

"Except the Lord build the house, they that labour build in vain."

Regards,
Norm

--------------------
Debile fundamentum, fallit opus. - "Where there is a weak foundation, the work falls."
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Fran
post May 6 2006, 12:04 AM
Post #77

500 + posts
Group Icon

Group: Financial Donor
Member No.: 529

QUOTE(Johann @ May 2 2006, 12:55 AM) [snapback]128722[/snapback]

Last time I met Danny in person he assured me - in the presence of many people right outside the 3ABN church - that there is no danger any more. Since his operation he cannot have any more children.

When was that, Johann. I would like to enter that in my timeline.

--------------------
The greatest want of the world is the want of men-- men who will not be bought or sold, men who in their inmost souls are true and honest, men who do not fear to call sin by its right name, men whose conscience is as true to duty as the needle to the pole, men who will stand for the right though the heavens fall. {Ed 57.3}
But such a character is not the result of accident; it is not due to special favors or endowments of Providence. A noble character is the result of self-discipline, of the subjection of the lower to the higher nature--the surrender of self for the service of love to God and man. {Ed 57.4}

+Quote Post
Fran
post May 6 2006, 01:00 AM
Post #78

500 + posts
Group Icon

QUOTE(Clay @ May 5 2006, 01:53 AM) [snapback]129326[/snapback]

Then if this problem is as deep and as widespread as you say, it is time for the whole structure to be dismantled.... one human cannot be that important in the church.... and if they are, then the church is no longer following God.....

If it is not following God, then it is not the church to be in.....

does this problem fall along color lines? I ask because black adventists don't seem to be that concerned with this issue.......

Yes, it does. Some demographics are "considered" by some to be more easily controlled. Like Women, some people of color are seen as gullible and easier to con. This may or may not be true. 3ABN has deceived a large percentage of different races, ages and genders.

Question:

Why didn't John Lomacang marry Danny and Brandy? Maybe he learned from a previous situation with another Evangelist? I hope he refused to perform the marriage. If he did, my respect for him has increased.

Why were they not married in the Thompsonville Church? Did the Conference say no, or did the Thompsonville church say no?

If so, why not?

Is this an action from the past that has reached right up to bite Danny in the behind?

Demographics, color, gender, age you may try to deceive. However, NEVER mess with a MOTHER. They are VERY, VERY dangerous. So it is best not mess with them!

I do not believe CA Murray was aware of this mess upon his employment at 3ABN.

I do not believe Whentley Phipps was aware of any of this when he accepted the position on the boards or when he accepted the million dollars for his ministry. I hope that million dollars will not compromise his situation. I believe him to be a holy man of God that does what is right. His association with 3ABN is unfortunate indeed.

--------------------
The greatest want of the world is the want of men-- men who will not be bought or sold, men who in their inmost souls are true and honest, men who do not fear to call sin by its right name, men whose conscience is as true to duty as the needle to the pole, men who will stand for the right though the heavens fall. {Ed 57.3}
But such a character is not the result of accident; it is not due to special favors or endowments of Providence. A noble character is the result of self-discipline, of the subjection of the lower to the higher nature--the surrender of self for the service of love to God and man. {Ed 57.4}

+Quote Post
Clay
post May 6 2006, 06:02 AM
Post #79

5,000 + posts
Group Icon

Group: Administrator
Member No.: 4

QUOTE(beartrap @ May 5 2006, 07:22 PM) [snapback]129466[/snapback]

You and many Adventists may not, but 3ABN is on satellite, broadcast TV and cable around the world, available in many millions of homes 24/7. The Adventist Church to them is just a building on some corner where people meet every Saturday, and the general population doesn't go, and has no idea what is taught there. The only place most of them will ever see Seventh-day Adventism is 3ABN, which makes it the face of the church to them: the general public.

What will probably happen is what usually happens. If this 3ABN mess blows up and gets national attention, the official church position will be to distance itself, saying that 3ABN was an independent ministry without church oversight, thus it cannot be held responsible for what happened there.

--------------------
"you are as sick as your secrets...." -quote from Celebrity Rehab-

+Quote Post
Zephyr
post May 6 2006, 06:13 AM
Post #80

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,556

QUOTE(Fran @ May 6 2006, 01:00 AM) [snapback]129477[/snapback]

Question:

Why didn't John Lomacang marry Danny and Brandy? Maybe he learned from a previous situation with another Evangelist? I hope he refused to perform the marriage. If he did, my respect for him has increased.Why were they not married in the Thompsonville Church? Did the Conference say no, or did the Thompsonville church say no?

John is as hypocritical as the others. He called Danny "Pastor Danny Shelton" at Pioneer when he had to know how uipset some faculty and many students were that Danny had the temerity to show up at Pioneer after his ceremomny with Brandy. John knew this wasn't a Bible-approved union between Danny and Brandy.

Then shame on CA for not doing due diligence. I hope Northeastern takes him back before he gets tainted permanently by the 3ABN graffiti. He is a good man and an outstanding pastor, but his 3ABN demotion was a severe lapse of judgment.

I do not believe Whentley Phipps was aware of any of this when he accepted the position on the boards or when he accepted the million dollars for his ministry.

What million dollars? I know WP got $1M from Oprah for his Dream Foundation, which is doing a great work. I believe you have your facts wrong. 3ABN did not give Whintley $1M. Check again.

This post has been edited by Zephyr: May 6 2006, 06:15 AM

--------------------
"I believe what my church teaches.
My church teaches what I believe.
My church and I believe the same thing."--The Apostate's Creed.

+Quote Post
Prisca
post May 6 2006, 07:27 AM
Post #81

1,000 + posts
Group Icon

Group: Charter Member
Member No.: 11

Re: The book. Perhaps Linda wrote it with him. She helped advertise it as his authorship and they were one couple then.

+Quote Post
summertime
post May 6 2006, 07:52 AM
Post #82

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,655

QUOTE(Zephyr @ May 6 2006, 06:13 AM) [snapback]129481[/snapback]

John is as hypocritical as the others. He called Danny "Pastor Danny Shelton" at Pioneer when he had to know how uipset some faculty and many students were that Danny had the temerity to show up at Pioneer after his ceremomny with Brandy. John knew this wasn't a Bible-approved union between Danny and Brandy.
Then shame on CA for not doing due diligence. I hope Northeastern takes him back before he gets tainted permanently by the 3ABN graffiti. He is a good man and an outstanding pastor, but his 3ABN demotion was a severe lapse of judgment.
What million dollars? I know WP got $1M from Oprah for his Dream Foundation, which is doing a great work. I believe you have your facts wrong. 3ABN did not give Whintley $1M. Check again.

I also had read that Pastor Phipps had been given $1,000,000.00 to carry forward whatever musical agenda (and other things) by 3ABN. I read this on Club Adventist quite a while ago.I would llike for this accuracy be confirmed also. Another thing, to do the following,someone would have to have been there and be a brave warrior--If an employee (or ex-employee) who has been harrassed by any 3ABN employee or administrator in the past, would be prayerfully brave enough to find a lawyer who will instigate a suit for sexual harrassment against anyone at 3ABN who has been guilty of such action, then perhaps this behaviour would be stopped. It would take a very brave person to do this, but I do believe that is what the Lord would want him/her to do.

This post has been edited by summertime: May 6 2006, 08:06 AM

+Quote Post
Panama_Pete
post May 6 2006, 08:17 AM
Post #83

500 + posts
Group Icon

Member No.: 522

QUOTE(summertime @ May 6 2006, 08:52 AM) [snapback]129494[/snapback]

I also had read that Pastor Phipps had been given $1,000,000.00 to carry forward whatever musical agenda (and other things) by 3ABN. I read this on Club Adventist quite a while ago.I would like for this accuracy be confirmed also.

Perhaps, you read something about a budget for a new 3ABN-affiliated TV network?

(All I know is what I read in the newspaper from March 26, 2006)

THE ANGUILLIAN

"His wife, Linda, is a Registered Nurse. They have three grown sons. In addition to his busy schedule, he is on the Board of Directors of Three Angels Broadcasting Network (3ABN), on which programmes are seen by cable in Anguilla. “It is gratifying to see that it is a part of the life and fabric of this nation,” he commented. He spoke of another service to be introduced soon called World of Praise Television Network “which will focus on some of the more critical needs of the urban families and their children to educate and inspire them.”

+Quote Post
Prisca
post May 6 2006, 08:30 AM
Post #84

1,000 + posts
Group Icon

Group: Charter Member
Member No.: 11

QUOTE(calvin @ May 5 2006, 09:06 PM) [snapback]129456[/snapback]

I don't see 3abn as the face of the church. It is another independent minsitry.

Fortunately, or unfortunately those who are non-SDA see EVERY SDA as the face of the church.

+Quote Post
sonshineonme
post May 6 2006, 10:28 AM
Post #85

1,000 + posts
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,709

QUOTE(Fran @ May 5 2006, 11:00 PM) [snapback]129477[/snapback]

Yes, it does. Some demographics are "considered" by some to be more easily controlled. Like Women, some people of color are seen as gullible and easier to con. This may or may not be true. 3ABN has deceived a large percentage of different races, ages and genders.

Question:

Why didn't John Lomacang marry Danny and Brandy? Maybe he learned from a previous situation with another Evangelist? I hope he refused to perform the marriage. If he did, my respect for him has increased.

Why were they not married in the Thompsonville Church? Did the Conference say no, or did the Thompsonville church say no?

If so, why not?

Is this an action from the past that has reached right up to bite Danny in the behind?

Demographics, color, gender, age you may try to deceive. However, NEVER mess with a MOTHER. They are VERY, VERY dangerous. So it is best not mess with them!

I do not believe Whentley Phipps was aware of any of this when he accepted the position on the boards or when he accepted the million dollars for his ministry. I hope that million dollars will not compromise his situation. I believe him to be a holy man of God that does what is right. His association with 3ABN is unfortunate indeed.

....meanwhile back at the ranch (the 3abn stage) Danny is asking for 3.5 million to in offereings because that's what it took to bring the 10 Commandments to everyone - they just took an offering. Before the offering, he announced that they had already gotten 1 million in donations - wonder from who? My mother is watching, just sent me an email about this. no.gif

--------------------
Here's the thing - "...if you pull "folks" into a fight you don't know what "weapon" they will bring." PrincessDrRe

"A man who digs a pit for others to fall into, will end up falling into it himself. And if a man rolls a stone on someone, the stone will roll back on him". Said Solomon the wise, Proverbs 26:27

"No man can follow Christ and go astray." William H.P. Faunce

"If I could hear Christ praying for me in the next room, I would not fear a million enemies. Yet distance makes no difference. He is praying for me." Robert M. McCheyne

Click here for Linda Shelton's newly updated website

+Quote Post
PrincessDrRe
post May 6 2006, 11:33 AM
Post #86

PrincessDrRe
Group Icon

Member No.: 712

QUOTE(calvin @ May 4 2006, 10:33 PM) [snapback]129318[/snapback]

.... I am still not convinced that this story is as newsworthy as many of you have made it out to be.

As newsworthy as Enron IMO....
QUOTE(Clay @ May 5 2006, 01:53 AM) [snapback]129326[/snapback]

...does this problem fall along color lines? I ask because black adventists don't seem to be that concerned with this issue.......

Black folks in AU country are talkin' bout it....
QUOTE(Denny @ May 5 2006, 05:36 AM) [snapback]129351[/snapback]

Perhaps we need a S.D.A Watergate to shake us out of our 'We are the Remnant. We are the true church' arrogance/complacency.......

yes.gif
QUOTE(Clay @ May 5 2006, 09:24 AM) [snapback]129392[/snapback]

....As for Mr. Shelton being a prophet, I have no idea... he sounds like a man with too much money and too much time on his hands... but I don't know him so I can't say....

Prophet? Oh *&^! naw! nonono.gif
QUOTE(Zephyr @ May 6 2006, 07:13 AM) [snapback]129481[/snapback]

John is as hypocritical as the others. He called Danny "Pastor Danny Shelton" at Pioneer when he had to know how uipset some faculty and many students were that Danny had the temerity to show up at Pioneer after his ceremomny with Brandy.....

People showed up at AU - but they didn't get the "love" they thought they would. The church wasn't even packed. I watched just a bit on TV to see how full the church was. The back 1/2 was empty....

dunno.gif

--------------------
*"Some folks use their ignorance like a umbrella. It covers everything, they perodically take it out from time to time, but it never is too far away from them."*
PrincessDrRe; March, 2007

~"Blood = Meat, Face = Meat, Internal "Organs" = Meat - you can try to make it cuter; but it's still meat...."~
PrincessDrRe; September, 2007

*(NOTE: Any advice given by Re' Silvey, MSW is not to be taken as medical/mental health advice. Although trained to be a counselor, currently employed as a therapist, and currently pursuing her PhD in Counseling Psychology (ABD/I) - she is not your assigned therapist. Please consult a mental health professional of your choice for a face-to-face consultation.)*

+Quote Post
Panama_Pete
post May 6 2006, 12:01 PM
Post #87

500 + posts
Group Icon

Member No.: 522

QUOTE(sonshineonme @ May 6 2006, 11:28 AM) [snapback]129508[/snapback]

he announced that they had already gotten 1 million in donations - wonder from who?

The 3ABN accounting books appear to be closed. We don't have any independent way to confirm where the money comes from, how much it is, or where it goes. It's a totally private organization.

If I'm wrong, correct me.

Now on to a different topic about different organizations, but the general theme about a "blessing" may apply:

Generally speaking, just because a faith healer announces that somebody's leg just grew three inches longer and that they can throw the crutches from the stage, doesn't mean it happened, from a medical doctor's point of view. These events are meant to show the "power and presence" of the Spirit of God, etc. The Lord is there and he is blessing. There is often a "special annointing" mentioned.

You can give all of your hard-earned cash to the faith healers because of this annointing.

People attending these events do so with eager anticipation the same way alcoholics enter bars counting their money.

I think the elderly and the very ill are especially vulnerable and are specifically targeted as easy marks. You have to make sure you're not being "worked."

This post has been edited by Panama_Pete: May 6 2006, 12:05 PM

+Quote Post
sister
post May 6 2006, 12:36 PM
Post #88

500 + posts
Group Icon

Member No.: 762

“Bearing False Witness... Part 2”

As of now, only briefly have I alluded to Linda Shelton in this story of the history of 3ABN. Perhaps now is the time to elaborate on my rationale for omitting her in much of this saga. Primarily, she has been removed from the hierarchy of 3ABN and the function she supplied in sustaining the current administration has ended. Secondly, she is a victim of the falsehoods perpetrated to ruin her reputation and silencing her witness, once and forever, in regard to the Danny Shelton of whom only she can speak.

What great threat does she pose to her ex-husband and his public persona, that he felt it necessary to have a two year “gag order” placed upon her? And why specifically two years? What information possessed by Linda would necessitate the need to secure her silence? What would the “spin machine” of 3ABN, fronted by Walt Thompson, need to accomplish during her silence, to ensure that any revelations made by her later would pose no threat to Danny’s position and perceived reputation?

Danny relies on the ethical stance of those in a position to do so, not to reveal his more heinous acts—of which not even the surface has been scratched here—but to keep his secrets. Why? The motive behind the ethics is to protect the innocent victims: some are young people whose lives could be destroyed, if the acts perpetrated by Danny Shelton and his clan against them, were to be revealed. I, like others, choose to protect the innocent and allow them, if or when they are able, to tell their own stories.

With Linda, in addition to that stated in the paragraph above, other aspects are also counted upon, these in relation to time. Her love for the ministry that she co-founded over twenty years ago and her desire to see said ministry prosper in proclaiming the Gospel. The healing that would come from her deepening dependance upon God and with that healing, the desire to forgive and putting the past behind her, getting on with her life. But unfortunately, for 3ABN that is not enough of a safety net, and the reiteration of falsehoods resume. As the beginning of the last quarter of the two year “gag order” approaches, further public attacks are launched, with Linda’s face painted squarely on the target. Verbal and written offensive measures are taken by order of the accuser—for as it has been discussed and generally accepted by the readers present, Danny has the Board in his pocket—to assure himself that the situation is still under his control. Witnessing the latest bombardment, the message could be deciphered as a warning: I have the power and resources to continue to discredit you, and prevent you from establishing a public ministry, I can persist in controlling your public life and guaranteeing your silence for as long as I choose.

In my mind’s eye I picture Linda sitting in a comfortable chair, her flowing, curly, copper locks reflecting the warm glow of a reading lamp, an open Bible resting in her hands. In the background we hear the voices and laughter of a brother and sister engrossed in their conversation. Linda smiles as her mind is briefly drawn by the carefree sound of her children’s laughter and the healing that God continues to bring in their lives, to make moments like these possible. Again her thoughts return to the eternal promises she is reading on the pages before her. Another smile lights up her face, this time it is the knowledge that her hope and future do not lay in the grasp of an earthly tyrant, but in the assurances she receives from her loving Savior. It is He that will remove the shame that the falsehoods of her accusers have heaped upon her and cover her with his robe of righteousness. Here in His Word is found the peace of mind and the safety for which she longs. With this knowledge she knows, as long as she keeps her eyes focused on Jesus Christ, a place in Heaven is prepared for her that no false witnessing can destroy. For now we leave Linda, but not without hope, for her eyes are fixed upon Jesus.

Stay tuned for the next installment of the 3ABN story...

+Quote Post
Fran
post May 6 2006, 12:36 PM
Post #89

500 + posts
Group Icon

QUOTE(Zephyr @ May 6 2006, 06:13 AM) [snapback]129481[/snapback]

No, I am right. Oprah's 1 million $ came later. It is true. Call him and ask. I got my information the day after it all happened. Whently's name on the board is worth much more than a million $ in my opinion. He is very busy being about his fathers business. He probably never has time for all those board meetings much less realize the truth about Danny Shelton.

Last I heard, the million from Danny had strings attached.

--------------------

+Quote Post
PaperTigers
post May 6 2006, 04:04 PM
Post #90

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,689

Sister unfortunately the part about just wanting to forget is so true. When you leave that place all you want to do is just forget about everything that has happened.. put it all behind you and move on. I wasted 5 years of my life there, and since I left I've just been trying to put it all behind me... but sometimes that's just not enough.

--------------------
~ Sometimes the hardest thing to do is the RIGHT thing!

~ Work like you don't need the money, love like you've never been hurt and dance like you would if no one was watching!
IPB Image

+Quote Post

11 Pages V  « < 4 5 6 7 8 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd March 2008 - 03:56 PM
Design by: Download IPB Skins & eBusiness
BlackSDA has no official affiliation or endorsement from the Seventh-day Adventist church